XY UU The Way of the Dragon (Late Game Hitmonlee Sweep)

Welcome to my Rate My Team!

I originally created this team for fun, using some of my favorite pokemon from all of the generations who might not be necessarily viable in the OU metagame. After I created it though, I noticed that there were very few pokemon that I couldn't deal with in the UU tier; from what I have experienced anyways. Therefore, I decided to start this thread to get feedback on how to further improve my team to eliminate the remaining threats that I have trouble with.
Before I begin, Let me explain how I build my teams. I am very picky. When I say picky, I don't mean about the pokemon; I like to have pokemon whose types do not overlap (AKA no more than 1 of each type), I completely avoid ALL legendaries, regardless of tier (because I hate them all), I only use movesets that are available to Kalos-bred pokemon (so no transfer moves), and I like to give each pokemon their own separate item. These rules tend to make team building difficult, since I always find multiple Leftovers users that I want to incorporate into a team, and then have to narrow it down to one, or find a moveset with a previous generation's move tutor and have to scrap it completely. It makes it so much more satisfying for me when I make a team with these rules that is actually viable, so I enjoy the challenge. I know that these rules may make it difficult to rate my team, so I am open to all feedback, just know that I might not take it into consideration if breaking any of those criteria bothers me too much. I know, I'm weird.
For those of you who recognize the title, you might know who I plan to make the MVP of this team:

Hitmonlee!
Normal Gem / Unburden
Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Hitmonlee was not a pokemon I was originally interested in. However, after seeing just how devastating it could be, I decided to breed one of my own, and I was not disappointed. Hitmonlee hits like the fighter he was named after; he has swept countless teams' remaining 3 or 4 pokemon by himself, after the rest of my team has whittled them down. I wait for all of the threats to Hitmonlee to be eliminated, such as status and priority users, and the pokemon that can survive a super effective hit, such as Metagross, and Fake Out to get the Unburden boost. He usually has no problem OHKOing Crobats, weakened Swampert and Roserade that otherwise threaten my team. His coverage is nearly perfect for most match-ups I end up sending him into towards the end game.

Lanturn!
Leftovers / Volt Absorb
Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Discharge
- Scald / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch / Confuse Ray / Toxic

Since his introduction in Silver and Gold, Lanturn has stayed one of my all-time favorite water type pokemon, but with the introduction of Rotom-W, his usage fell to the lower tiers never to see the light of day in OU again. So naturally, I brought him back here. Lanturn serves as a very important member of my team, being the only one with Ice, Electric, AND Water coverage. This concerns me, because without Lanturn I have a hard time dealing with Flying-, Water-, and Ground-types. The choice between Scald and Surf is one that I am unsure of, since Surf hits harder, but I lack any way of inflicting burn outside of the small chance Fire Blast gives. I prefer Discharge over Thunderbolt for the same reason, as Lanturn is usually able to use it and paralyze several enemies in a match with luck. Volt Switch is a good pivot, but Lanturn is really too slow to utilize it, since most people like to switch Swampert into him. Confuse Ray is very fun to use and brings me back to the days of Parafusion, but I am hoping a can provide a more reliable way to cripple an opponent without relying on chance, such as Toxic. I am still unsure of the last moveslot though.

Flygon!
Choice Scarf / Levitate
Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn

I like to think that Ground and Dragon are the two most important and powerful types in the game, and Flygon uses both! Flygon provides my team with a very important Ground-type immunity, since most of my pokemon are hit hard or KOed by Ground-type attacks. With Choice Scarf, he outspeeds almost everyone and can either U-Turn on the switch, or hit something really hard with a STAB Dragon Claw or Earthquake. I use Dragon Claw because Outrage is transfer only. Stone Edge eliminates all flying-types that threaten Hitmonlee's late game.

Metagross!
Assault Vest / Clear Body
Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
-Bullet Punch

Metagross. Probably the coolest pokemon stemming from the Hoenn Region (except Ralts, but you know, he's definitely not viable here), I wanted to make as much use of him as possible before he transcends into the realms of Talonflame and Scizor once he receives his Mega Evolution. He is most definitely my favorite Assault Vest user, able to withstand a Fire Blast from a Mega Houndoom and OHKO back with Earthquake. He is an important member on my team, because he is able to switch in and revenge kill with Bullet Punch so Hitmonlee doesn't have to and waste his Normal Gem. Zen Headbutt helps me deal with the plethora of Grass-types (Roserade) that this team has a problem with dealing with. However, he does add onto my susceptibility to Ground-type attacks.

Mega Houndoom!
Houndoominite / Flash Fire (Solar Power)
Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt / HP Grass

Mega Houndoom's design is incredibly awesome, but it's ability was chosen a little too poorly to give it more viability, so in most matches I tend to keep Houndoom in his normal form until all Fire-type attacks / attackers on the other team are neutralized. Then, I Mega Evolve and attempt a sweep with Nasty Plot. Fire Blast and Dark Pulse are obvious STAB, and Taunt is for unsuspecting Blissey and other annoying walls. I have considered running Hidden Power Grass for Swampert, since it is a major problem for my team, but I am unsure if it would be worth replacing Taunt.

Crobat!
Black Sludge / Infiltrator
Jolly
EVs: 168 HP / 136 Atk / 4 SpD / 200 Spe)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Haze / Toxic / Taunt

Crobat is an awesome pokemon, and with all of my Ground weaknesses, a Flying-type was a necessity for this team. He provides Defog to remove Stealth Rocks, which severely limits Houndoom's sustainability. He has Roost to recover from Brave Bird recoil, and I like to run Haze to surprise CroCune and other set up sweepers. Toxic is useful since my only status spreader is Lanturn, but I have found Haze to be much more useful.

I understand that it may be difficult to Rate My Team with the criteria that I set for myself, so I apologize. This team was build around Hitmonlee and resists every pokemon type at least once. What I hope to get help on with this team is a better way to deal with Grass-,Ground-, and Water-types, as well as pokemon like Umbreon and CroCune. If you have any advice at all on how I can modify my team, please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:
So... Does anyone have advice at all? I've been considering replacing Lanturn for Ludicolo because of Swampert and then putting Will-O-Wisp on Houndoom... Any thoughts?

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello there Ralts!
I do like your team here, and while I understand that you may have rules, I'm just going to suggest what I think is best in general for you. Although, if you want to tweak them at all, go right ahead. (I just don't know what moves are transfer/aren't transfer, and I don't want to pay too much attention to those.)
Hitmonlee seems perfectly fine, though I've never been a humongous fan of such sets--they seem a bit gimmicky to me, but I'm sure it can sweep somewhat effectively. Although, I'd say Consider running Jolly, just because ScarfCross, but that's just me.
For Lanturn, I'd say Discharge/Scald/Volt Switch/Ice Beam is your best bet-- You're able to status two different ways, and has pretty awesome coverage. Personally, I'd want it to have Assault Vest, but I understand that's not in line with your rules. But Consider running Heal Bell if you want, and consider investing in a bit more bulk if you want.
Flygon is pretty good, and scarfers are nearly necessary in the current meta. MegaHoundoom and Metagross are already your hard-hitters, so I wouldn't really suggest this, but if you wanted even more power, Choice Band Flygon is hella strong. CS Flygon is forever viable though.
Metagross seems fine, I don't use very often myself, but I've heard of some people considering the elemental punches for particular threats. I don't think you need those, but they're always an option.
MegaHoundoom needs HP Grass IMO. You'd rather just blow everything away than use Taunt--Personally I don't think it's use for Blissey is enough; HP Grass takes care of Swampert and Gastrodon, and is another 100% accurate attack.
Crobat seems decent too; I prefer Haze or Taunt, not Toxic really.
Your team seems pretty well-rounded, and I don't want to suggest anything because I don't know if it fits in with your criteria.
Hope I helped!

Hello there Ralts!
I do like your team here, and while I understand that you may have rules, I'm just going to suggest what I think is best in general for you. Although, if you want to tweak them at all, go right ahead. (I just don't know what moves are transfer/aren't transfer, and I don't want to pay too much attention to those.)
Hitmonlee seems perfectly fine, though I've never been a humongous fan of such sets--they seem a bit gimmicky to me, but I'm sure it can sweep somewhat effectively. Although, I'd say Consider running Jolly, just because ScarfCross, but that's just me.
For Lanturn, I'd say Discharge/Scald/Volt Switch/Ice Beam is your best bet-- You're able to status two different ways, and has pretty awesome coverage. Personally, I'd want it to have Assault Vest, but I understand that's not in line with your rules. But Consider running Heal Bell if you want, and consider investing in a bit more bulk if you want.
Flygon is pretty good, and scarfers are nearly necessary in the current meta. MegaHoundoom and Metagross are already your hard-hitters, so I wouldn't really suggest this, but if you wanted even more power, Choice Band Flygon is hella strong. CS Flygon is forever viable though.
Metagross seems fine, I don't use very often myself, but I've heard of some people considering the elemental punches for particular threats. I don't think you need those, but they're always an option.
MegaHoundoom needs HP Grass IMO. You'd rather just blow everything away than use Taunt--Personally I don't think it's use for Blissey is enough; HP Grass takes care of Swampert and Gastrodon, and is another 100% accurate attack.
Crobat seems decent too; I prefer Haze or Taunt, not Toxic really.
Your team seems pretty well-rounded, and I don't want to suggest anything because I don't know if it fits in with your criteria.
Hope I helped!
Thank you very much for the rate! let me just clarify something really quick; you shouldn't feel intimidated by my ruleset, I just mentioned it so people would have an idea of how I build my teams. If you have ANY suggestions, I will consider them whether or not they follow my guidelines.

For Hitmonlee: I agree it is gimmicky, but I have won almost all of my games with his late game sweeping. That being said, he is usually fast enough, even without Jolly, but if there is ever a particular threat that outspeeds, I may consider switching him to Jolly.
For Lanturn: I agree, that moveset is the most useful that I have tested. Assault Vest is interesting, but Lanturn has no recovery and is my main switch to a lot of threats in the tier, so I'd prefer to stay with Leftovers.
For Flygon: I love Scarfgon, but I will try a Choice Band and see how it works out for me.
For Metagross: I think I'm going to keep his moveset the same; it seems to work out in most situations.
For Houndoom: I am definitely going for HP Grass. It nets me some key surprise KO's.
For Crobat: I am going to go with Haze instead of Toxic. I have nothing else to nullify boosting moves.

Thanks again for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)