CAP 19 CAP 19 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
big design update, I guess?

I tried to incorporate as much of the feedback I got as possible (which was hard since a lot of you gave me feedback, which is a good thing—thanks so much, guys ^.^). I changed the torso to look like a barrel of toxic waste. I also edited the limbs, making them sludgy like Muk, in order to make them more cohesive and to emphasize the Poison-type a bit more. I'm kind of stuck making it fit with Storm Drain, however; all the Pokemon that have the ability are organic and I can't really see the flavor of the ability (Lumineon and Cradily are very different designwise). Other than that, I think this is an improvement, and I hope people will agree!

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Oh dear. Storm Drain won, so R.I.P. Manticore. Gotta go with my stingray design then...
So, two color schemes. First is a dark violet scheme with purple and gold accents, while the second is the generic yellow-and-purple clash for the electric/poison typing. While I like the first one more, I can't help but think the second expresses the typing more, idk o3o

Storm Drain IMO pretty much gives a hint on higher SpA than Atk, so I think the stingray design could represent that (very high speed might be iffy tho). I'll withhold my comments for now since Storm Drain becomes an issue to many of the designs. :(

As always, comments, critiques and criticisms are welcome. :)

Magistrum , your the dark violet colour scheme looks absolutely amazing; I see where you're coming from with the type-fit comment though. A suggestion that you might be able to do something with (I'm not an artist, so I'd have no idea how to implement it, nor do I know how feasible it would be) is to make the light blue pattern on its back more distinctly electric. The shade of blue you've used is a fairly stereotypical lightning colour; I feel like there's an opportunity there to change the pattern so that you retain the awesome colour scheme while still achieving a stronger type-design fit.

View attachment 24997 i know this badly drawn by me but u get the idea its a [poison] [eletric] type
Splendid idea, fantastic execution. My only concern is that, to be frank, it doesn't really get the typing across at all. It really screams Ghost / Bird imo.

Magistrum , I really like dark violet stingray. It's still quite clearly electric, I think, with the antennae, the patterns on his back, and the spiky... areas.

Okay, taking into account feedback here's a slightly less rough, water coloured version of my design. It's based on an electric eel, a Belcher's sea snake and a hydroelectric generator all rolled into one. It uses storm drain as water attacks which hit it simply cause the scaled parts to spin at high speed generating electricity which can be used to defend itself. Being half sea snake, it has access to a highly dangerous poison.

Feedback and (constructive) criticism would be amazing!

Last edited:
More critique!
Dracoyoshi8:
I really like the look of the lizard. The addition of the current-emitting spheres might really, really do well with our chosen ability, Storm Drain, as Water moves don't mix with the current and raises its Special Attack! I can't wait to see the final submission.

Hollymon:
The new artwork really added some substance and cheerful character to the jellyfish (unimpressed Tentacruel and Jelli-Pringles gladly welcome it).
Keep up the good work!

Magistrum:
I'm a bit disappointed that the manticore has been withdrawn because of the ability, but the stingray still impresses.
Of the two designs you've submitted, the dark violet appeals to me the most. The only criticism I have of it is that the light-blue on its back looks strikingly similar to the light-blue lights on Volkraken's design.
If you don't have a problem with that tint of light-blue, then fine. It's simply an observation.
Still loving your work. Great job!

Blue Frog:
Not a fan of humanoid designs, but this bipedal, sentient waste-can-robot looks cool. I would love to see some supporting art, since that really adds dynamic to your design! Great work!
Edit: To achieve a design that works with Storm Drain, I recommend adding some sort of mills to referencce hydroelectric/nuclear plants.

tea_and_blues:
The stormcloud/acid raincloud is kawaii. The bipedal artwork is creative, as I noticed those legs were lightning bolts. Perhaps a miniscule amount of green near the lighter parts would make it look more Poison-y. Good job!

useless trainer:
That Crookes tube design especially caught my eye. So science-y and interesting. It really looks like a great partner to set up sweepers imo (it gives its partners a voltage boost. I'd love to see the final submission.

Golurkyourself:
KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE (or ground moves)!
I think the design screams Bug-type imo. Very good WIP. I'd love to see some supporting art and your final submission.

Yilx:
Amphibians were bound to happen when we picked Poison, so I'll discuss the Smog monster. I'm really appealed by the concept. I believe its wings (?) kind of create a current as they approach each other a the back. Perhaps a lightning-bolt symbol down one of its eyes would make it look a bit more Electric-type.
Waiting patiently for the color, but nonetheless, fantastic job!

Last edited:
Final Submission

-- Trojan Horse
My design is based on the Trojan Horse 'virus' that is used by hackers to gain access to remote computers/devices. As such, I think it fits the Electric/Poison typing nicely.
For its design features I drew inspiration from both the digital/computer side of the concept as well as the mythological Trojan Horse it was named after.
Electric/Digital refs: the USB-tail, the electrocuting hoofs (like a defibrillator), the neon color palette.
Greek/Trojan horse: The neon-blue front parts resemble Greek armor (helmet, breastplate and bracers), the Trident tail tip and hippocampus fins (see abilities)

-- Pokemon description
These pokemon are notorious for effortlessly disrupting electrical equipment - especially communication devices - and are often employed for evil purposes by hackers. They use their poisonous fins and tail to defend themselves while they are engaged in the hacking process.

Storm Drain
In general, I incorporated references to poseidon/hippocampi (it IS a Greek horse after all, and poseidon was god of horses and the seas (among other things)). I think the ties to these mythological phenomenons should be enough to give it a believable affinity for the storm drain ability. I didn't stray too far into 'water type' territory (by turning it into a real hippocampus), since I feel that would distract too much from its poison/electric typing and the Trojan Horse concept.

Insomnia/Vital Spirit
Since these Pokemon are often used for shady purposes (like heists), they tend to need very little sleep, if any at all.

An existing pokemon closest to my design is probably Rapidash. I see the Trojan Horse pokemon as a 'specially oriented, more powerful and bulky Rapidash', that sacrifices a little bit of speed to reduce her frailty.

Rapidash Offense: 100/80/105
Trojan horse Offense: 57/131/100

As stated, the Trojan Horse mon doesn't like to 'get her hands dirty' and heavily prefers to rely on her special electric and poison powers. Even her stomp attacks are mostly dangerous because of the electric current they produce as opposed to the physical impact they cause.

Rapidash Defense: 65/70/80
Trojan horse Defense: 60/119/98

Thanks to her 'digital Greek armor', the Trojan Horse is not as frail as Rapidash, but it does weigh her down a bit, which causes her to lose some points in speed.

Last edited:
Final Submission

So yeah... i kind of gave up on this CAP which happens to be my first because it just got too much and i couldnt come up with any more ideas BUT i still want to be entered, i havent got the time nor the dedication to make it look any better knowing it has no chance anyway nor does it fit the sweeper archetype that flung everything i tried out the window. Heres to hoping cap 20 is soon and something easy like grass ground XD

Flavour Text: <Name Here> is a powerful pokemon that skulks polluted waters hunting small pokemon. Its large size pretty much leaves it as an apex predator with no natural enemies. It glides through the water effortlessly and kills its prey with electrical discharges produced from the boils on its skin.

Last edited:
So I'm quite late to the party, but I have an idea!

This design is based on the hagfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagfish), an eel-like fish which produces a coating of slime to slip away from predators' grips. Hagfishmon has four large venomous fangs outside of its true mouth, which it uses to poison and snatch prey. The yellow spots along its body act as electric conductors, and its electrified spines deter predators along with the toxic slime its skin produces. As it is a sea creature, Storm Drain fits the concept pretty well.

Comments? Suggestions?

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
I tried to incorporate as much of the feedback I got as possible (which was hard since a lot of you gave me feedback, which is a good thing—thanks so much, guys ^.^). I changed the torso to look like a barrel of toxic waste. I also edited the limbs, making them sludgy like Muk, in order to make them more cohesive and to emphasize the Poison-type a bit more. I'm kind of stuck making it fit with Storm Drain, however; all the Pokemon that have the ability are organic and I can't really see the flavor of the ability (Lumineon and Cradily are very different designwise). Other than that, I think this is an improvement, and I hope people will agree!
I personally think Storm Drain works fine flavor wise. Nuclear power plants are notorious for taking in large amounts of water, so storm drain makes sense

Oh boy, Absolclaw was gone a long time, I bet they've updated the design and made it all pretty and stuff! Well actually no, I've been rather busy/distracted this last week, but I figure I'll update what I've done so far. Plus I want a better picture to be at the top of the first page list :D

Main changes:
  • The design is far less realistic, which was probably the number one flaw in its design;
  • Replaced the mangy whiskers with actual lightning (tried to at least), which I imagine works like Typhlosion's fire. It looks more like a plasma ball than anything but I think it gets the idea across for now;
  • The tail on the first WIP looked absolutely nothing like a neuron, so I redid it, and I made the nucleus vaguely like a light bulb, because why not;
  • Eye was inspired by Mewtwo Y, because I wanted to give it that "Stop experimenting on me! Leave me alone!" kind of look.
I want to slap something onto that big belly since it is quite boring right now, as well as make it look more poisonous and ensure the neuron aspect of the design is clear, but my experiments so far just make it look way too busy. Here is an alternate version where its body is split like the tail, mostly for the sake of weirdness since Poison-types are weird, but I'm not sure if thats the right direction for this monstrosity fella. I've also tried having the tail branch out over the body like an actual nervous system (NERVECEPTION) but so far it just comes out like random squiggles, lol.

How does Storm Drain work? Um, well, people associate drains with sewers with rats don't they? >.> <.< Also, quality limbs, wow.

tl;dr mostly worked on its overall shape.

EDIT: Comments yay

• Arkeis: I quite like the jellyfish (reminds me of a Kingdom Hearts enemy :D), though the stingray is definitely cool, though in my opinion a little less complete. Can't wait to see the next stage.
  • Boss jr.: I think its mostly a perspective thing, but something kind of seems off about its shell. I think the yellow 'plate' thingos need to be bigger and the grey bits made a bit smaller, but who am I to talk proportions lol.
  • Sunfished: Personally the green bit on the lamp makes me think rubbing it will summon a leprachaun instead of a genie, lol.
  • tea_and_blues:
  • Wahrer: Personally it reminds me very strongly of the Green Goblin, or at least certain variants of him. Not really seeing the electric side of it either.
  • Mos-Quitoxe: I don't really know much about car batteries, but looking at your concept reminded me of one of those paper lantern things lol. Though its a bit hard to judge at this early stage
  • Blue Frog: I think the arms look a bit thin, or at least the right one, (since his left arm is kinda obscured). Maybe if they were thicker like the legs, or at least more droopy and bottom heavy. Could also slightly differentiatethe limbs from the chest symbol, but I dunno, might just be confusing me lol.
  • Magistrum: Considering how rich the purple of its back is, I think if the belly was the lighter yellow of the second option it might look a bit nicer. Unless this is one of those illusions where they both actually have the same shade of yellow under belly :o I also sort of like how theres a lot less colour going on in the second one, but I prefer the blue rings and stuff on the first lol.
  • Yilx: I prefer the weird frog thing personally, if only because its a little weirder. I like the cardiogram eyes, though I also like the blocky style limbs on the loli.
  • Knirp: I kind of think the hind legs seem a bit off compared to the rest of the body. I don't know if the torso should be a bit longer or what it is, but something doesn't seem quite right to me. also those bedroom eyes, wow :o
  • Birkal: Just felt like pointing out that it's the platypus's bill that is generally the electric sensor bit, if you wanted ideas for how to make it electric. Though looking back at the beaver, the grid definitely seems like a cool idea - might be a bit busy but I haven't actually seen it in action yet, lol. Personally I think this pose for it makes it feel more natural than the original design, which is cool.

Last edited:
Feedback time again, I think, as many as I can in the short time I have. Also, paintseagull, I've updated my art in my original post quite some time ago, but because I haven't been bumping with minor updates I don't think you've updated it in the OP. :)

blue frog: Somehow I can't buy into the sludge limbs, they look too much like they could not support the whole thing, and like the arms might fall off. I think they at least need some kind of casing over the goo. I miss the torso shape of your original, but the face of your new design is very endearing.

magistrum: I was tempted to say this about your manticore as well, but I think you could strip off heaps of that ornamentation and get a better design out of it. That said, very baroque designs often do well in CAP polls, but I'd love see what you could do with a slimmer design economy. Stingrays can move fairly quickly, so I wouldn't worry overly.

Yilx: Please do A. It looks great, and I always prefer your non-loli designs for some reason. You do great "human-shape" Pokemon, of course, but your art is so beautiful and love seeing that variety from you. Whichever you choose, we all know it'll be a top competitor for CAP 19.

Superacoon: I think you need to keep working to get the "generator" look, and maybe work on the colour scheme? I definitely read this as a ground type right now, sort of a "drill snake". Keep at it, the concept is good.

Knirp: Similar to what I said to magistrum, I feel there's too much going on. I'm wondering how it would look if you made all the detailing into solid blocks of colour, without the small linear details all through them. I suspect it would look better, and be easier to sprite.

Sgt.Moose: I like it. You know you could make it into an ankylosaurus with the minus being a tail club, that might look cool, but it works as it is.

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

So I'm trying to do some pretty serious updates on my platypus design. The three big things I want to revamp are 1) change to quadruped, 2) emphasize its poisonous spurs, 3) make it look evolved. I am debating between some active poses to have it jump out a bit more in an aggressive pose. Its tail is going to serve as a grid (reminds me of Doug's beaver design), while the whole body will look electrified with poisonous spurs. Any thoughts and comments are appreciated. I'll dig into this over the next weeks to get something finalized.

It's basically a divided metal orb with poisonous spikes and thunderbolts connecting the two parts and the hands. It releases sludge from the tubes on the bottom, he levitates and spins with the spike under him. On the upper side there's an antenna that draws electricty and occasionally water [Storm Drain], he also has two holes on the hands, filled with electricity and poison. Oh, he can also shoot the spikes, and then they grow back up almost instantanealy (like Ferroseed's spikes).
It's my first CAP thingy, so don't be rude in the comments please. c:

Last edited:
The battery acid pokemon, it's genderless and joyfully/boredly swings it's battery back and forth slowly unless attacking, in which case it swings the battery forward at great speed. It's body is gooey and can trap water
http://i62.tinypic.com/ael8x3.jpg
WIP

The positive acid half is attracted to the negative side of the battery and vice versa, the positive side is usually happy and excited and the negative side is usually bored and annoyed, electric type attacks are executed through use of the battery when it is swung forward.

More Concept art here: http://i62.tinypic.com/5khje1.jpgand an alternate design here: http://i57.tinypic.com/kb2lcj.jpg Please give feedback and opinions.

mod edit: removed extraneous text that was left over from old edits, removed link to design showing proposed name. do not suggest names even in links

Last edited:

Update!
This is a Mongolian death worm crossed with a Bobbit Worm. The death worm is a cryptid that is allegedly able to spit a highly corrosive acid, and paralyze prey from afar with an electric discharge. The bobbit worm, on the other hand, is a very shiny, very real worm that hunts by ambush- sensing prey with its five antennae then attacking with those jaws (the real one has two pairs). They belong to the polychaete class of worms, which have bristles on the sides of their bodies.
I made it a bit beefier looking but otherwise it's essentially the same design as the first. The claws were made more angular to appear more 'electrical' and also made to resemble crocodile clips.
And lucky for me the bobbit worm is a marine animal that tunnels into sand/rock/coral so the Storm Drain ability makes plenty of sense for it.
Supporting material to follow.

Edit: more rainbow​

Last edited:
changed design

Very WIP design.

http://i.imgur.com/PrsN3iT.png

It's based off an oriental hornet, which has a spot on its head that converts sunlight to electricity (for unknown reasons). I expanded this to other parts as solar kits so as to emphasize the trait, and added some elements towards a Poison typing (the skulls, warm coloration bar solar panels, pointy limbs and antennae, stinger).

The coloration doesn't seem that appealing, so I'm very welcome towards criticism.

Didn't put effort into shading it because it will hopefully change.

and no it won't stay in front view
Well I think you have tried hard.. It is good design and I do appreciate your effort..

Last edited:
Update!

I made it a bit beefier looking but otherwise it's essentially the same design as the first. The claws were made more angular to appear more 'electrical' and also made to resemble crocodile clips.
And lucky for me the bobbit worm is a marine animal that tunnels into sand/rock/coral so the Storm Drain ability makes plenty of sense for it.
Supporting material to follow.​
I don't believe it, but holy crap it looks even better.

I don't know if you've already mentioned it, but some polychaetes also have venomous bristles that will break off if they are grabbed or a fish, etc. tries to eat them; these bristles are very painful and difficult to remove, which fits the theme of "take me out and you'll be sorry".

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Magistrum, even though the dark colored one looks a bit cooler, the yellow one looks way more like an Electric-type and not as much as as a deep-fish creature. And seeing how every fish design will need to do its best to not look too water-y, i think going with the yellow one is the best option. It's what Stunfisk did, and it worked, at least for me, as with that brown and yellow colors, the Ground and Electric typings are emitted nicely, while the Water-typing that the fish design hints not that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)