ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the fact we even got three new weather abilities (two boosting existing weather and one introducing a whole new weather) was already a stretch. Can't see any other weather coming.

Also, it hasn't been mentioned but I'm taking this as a given, Delta Stream can override Desolate Land and Primordial Sea... right?
It said all weather. So.

Also, this: "It will also Mega Evolve through a way different to other Pokémon"
If it can Mega in such a way it can hold an item...

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Yeah, the fact we even got three new weather abilities (two boosting existing weather and one introducing a whole new weather) was already a stretch. Can't see any other weather coming.

Also, it hasn't been mentioned but I'm taking this as a given, Delta Stream can override Desolate Land and Primordial Sea... right?
Would make sense if those 3 are created as equals.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mega rayquaza confirmed blah blah blah

Dragon Ascent drops defenses, and is called "one of the strongest flying moves," so 120 bp seems very likely, using that assumption...

Anyways, after watching the video, i ran some calcs:
252+ Atk (180 base) Rayquaza Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swampert: 301-355 (88.2 - 104.1%) This is a calc shown in the video as an ohko, 170 base attack does not reach this, and so if Dragon ascent is 120 bp as implied rayquaza must gain +30 attack or more.

In the full battle shown, we saw rayquaza started at level 50 and 181 hp. This says it had 4 hp evs, making it most likely all mons had plausible ev spreads.
Abomasnow ice shard (which appears to be 2x super effective) did 66 damage:
level 50 252+ Atk Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. level 50 4 HP / 0 Def (110 base defense) Rayquaza: 56-68 (30.9 - 37.5%)
(56, 56, 60, 60, 60, 60, 60, 62, 62, 62, 62, 66, 66, 66, 66, 68)

Zard-y flare blitz did 33 damage:
level 50 0 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. level 50 4 HP / 0 Def (110 base defense) Rayquaza: 33-39 (18.2 - 21.5%)
(33, 33, 33, 33, 34, 34, 35, 35, 36, 36, 36, 36, 37, 37, 38, 39)

There is no way for ray to have 120 or higher base defense, as abomasnow cant do enough damage (unless choice banded or something), and these calcs are possible with base 100 defense, but it would require 252 attack neutral nature abomasnow and a -atk nature on charizard, so to me 110 seems much more likely.

If we have 105 hp (given), 180 attack, and 110 defense, this adds up nicely for rayquaza to be able to maintain symmetry and gain 30 special attack and 20 sdef as well. This would result in a final stat spread of 105/180(+30)/110(+20)/180(+30)/110(+20)/95 (bst 780 (+100)). The lack of speed gain (unfortunately) meshes well with the site description that "Rayquaza is a Pokémon distinguished by its high Attack and Sp. Atk. When it Mega Evolves, almost all of its stats get a boost, including these two, and it gains overwhelming power!" Specifically, that one stat does not get boosted, hence almost all of its stats.

Mega rayquaza confirmed blah blah blah

Dragon Ascent drops defenses, and is called "one of the strongest flying moves," so 120 bp seems very likely, using that assumption.
But before Dragon Ascent, the strongest flying-type move was Sky Attack with 140 BP.

And in order to be the strongest, DA would need at least 141 BP, so something like 145 or 150 would make sense.

Yes, it's confirmed.

http://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/pokemon/legendary-pokemon/mega-rayquaza

Go to the section called "Strong Winds Weather Condition" and look at the 9th picture. Delta Stream is cancelling out Desolate Land and Primoridal Sea.

Those mandibles are sick. Like Damn.

Looks like we got something to switch into Primal Groudon after all.

My instinct is that the answer will be "yes" but if Primal Kyogre switches into Mega Rayquaza does the weather stay Delta Stream?
Also what do you think it the likelihood we're still gonna see a Primal Rayquaza?

Those mandibles are sick. Like Damn.

Looks like we got something to switch into Primal Groudon after all.

My instinct is that the answer will be "yes" but if Primal Kyogre switches into Mega Rayquaza does the weather stay Delta Stream?
Also what do you think it the likelihood we're still gonna see a Primal Rayquaza?
On Serebii, it says this:

16:16: The reason why Mega Rayquaza is a Mega Evolution and not a Primal Reversion is to be explained in the story. It will also Mega Evolve through a way different to other Pokémon.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragon Ascent really looks to be a two-turn move to me. The animation seemed really long in the trailer, I think they've just edited the charge and attack turn to be shown as one continuous animation just to show it off. Originally I thought it would be a flying type Freeze Shock / Ice Burn clone but of course Sky Attack exists and would be highly detrimental having to charge it up (M-Ray obviously can't use a power herb) and then have the stat drop that we've noticed, that's why I think it will be a bonkers version of Fly. I just can't believe they'd make a one-turn, 140+ BP move with an animation that clearly has a 'fly up and away' and then 'attack' movements.

Really like Mega Ray's design though, he looks very modern which I'll admit doesn't really make sense to me with having the other two legends being 'primal' but as a standalone design it looks cool

It said all weather. So.

Also, this: "It will also Mega Evolve through a way different to other Pokémon"
If it can Mega in such a way it can hold an item...
I think when they say "it mega evolves through it's own special method" they may be saying that it MEvoes for the first time following an in-game script. Like, unlocking it means going somewhere and doing another step beyond having a mega bangle capable of detecting mega stones.

16:16: The reason why Mega Rayquaza is a Mega Evolution and not a Primal Reversion is to be explained in the story. It will also Mega Evolve through a way different to other Pokémon.
In addition, the revealed Lore on the website makes it almost impossible for Rayquaza to get a Primal story-wise.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragon Ascent really looks to be a two-turn move to me. The animation seemed really long in the trailer, I think they've just edited the charge and attack turn to be shown as one continuous animation just to show it off. Originally I thought it would be a flying type Freeze Shock / Ice Burn clone but of course Sky Attack exists and would be highly detrimental having to charge it up (M-Ray obviously can't use a power herb) and then have the stat drop that we've noticed, that's why I think it will be a bonkers version of Fly. I just can't believe they'd make a one-turn, 140+ BP move with an animation that clearly has a 'fly up and away' and then 'attack' movements.

Really like Mega Ray's design though, he looks very modern which I'll admit doesn't really make sense to me with having the other two legends being 'primal' but as a standalone design it looks cool
We've seen full battle footage of it fighting charizard, politoed, and abomasnow, it is a 1 turn move that lowers both defenses

As in: the story came up with a way to explain why Rayquaza gets a Mega and a Primal form? XD
Nah, if anything that makes a still unrevealed Primal form sound more likely to me. Like they're already addressing the fact that this is a Mega and not a Primal but then withholding the information about why that is. Like "Oh, you noticed it's not primal, there's a reason for that but you won't find out WHY until later, (and then we'll blow your socks of with one more form, heh heh)"

In addition, the revealed Lore on the website makes it almost impossible for Rayquaza to get a Primal story-wise.
How so?

As for a 140 BP move that only lasts one turn and no repercussions, we already have Boomburst, so it could be likely it'll still be one turn, but I do agree that the animation is a BIT long.

Watch this move break through Protect if it's a 2 turn move lol

I honestly see Imanalt's predicted stat spread the most likely. And honestly? 105/180/110/180/110/95 with that typing, that ability and that new move seems really shitting scary. Did I mention it still gets these little things called Outrage, V-create and Dragon Dance? What even would counter this thing other than X-dear?

Just look at the lore I posted at the top of the page; it's clearly stating Primal Devolution as something exclusive to Groudon and Kyogre that happened only to them and then Rayquaza got a Mega to save everyone. It would honestly feel like a bit of a shoehorn to then say "THEN IT WENT PRIMAL AND TRIED TO KILL EVERYONE" imo; Ray having a Mega and Groudon/Kyogre having a Primal with that lore in mind seems a really nice story balance to me. Primal Ray would just ruin it.

It seems likely that Dragon Ascent is just a Flying-type version of Close Combat as Imanalt pointed out but we'll see I guess.

Either way UBERS IS GOING TO BE SO COOL WHEN ORAS COMES OUT
Well, looks that way, but the English PR is claiming it to be the "strongest" flying-type move, so...

It seems likely that Dragon Ascent is just a Flying-type version of Close Combat as Imanalt pointed out but we'll see I guess.

Either way UBERS IS GOING TO BE SO COOL WHEN ORAS COMES OUT
Yah and as if primal Groudon wasn't gonna be a God enough you got ray coming in with that. Least it will be something other than geoXerns soon :D

Choice Banded Dragon Ascent from Mega Rayquaza= no switch ins whatsoever.

Definitely don't see that happening. Mega Rayquaza would literally fuck the game in half.
It doesn't need a CB for that. 140+ STAB flying-type move coming off 170+ Atk is going to hurt everything. AND there's Outrage. AND with a mere +5 Speed boost Rayquaza will tie with Palkia and be one of the fastest dragons in Ubers. +15 and it'll tie with Lati@s. AND it learns Extremespeed. AND it has an excellent typing with all the perks of a flying-type and none of the drawbacks.

And we thought Primal Groudon was broken... (though we don't know what Precipice Blade does yet)

Any normal/flying type will have no weaknesses, even - noctowl, dodrio, staraptor...
Same as all Normal/Flying though
They would be weak to fighting.

Possibly not. Somebody on the previous page mentioned that it said somewhere that Delta Stream is only in effect as long as Mega Ray is in battle. So in doubles, maybe. In singles, no.
I was talking about doubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)