Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
noobius Sleep is no where near as popular on Battle Spot as it was on the GBU. The more popular moves (Spore / Sleep Powder) are completely stopped by Grass types, Overcoat's new mechanics and the new item 'Safety Goggles' (blocks powder moves and damage from weather). Not to mention that most (if not all) sleep inducers get absolutely destroyed by Talonflame (who often runs Sleep Talk on the Choice Band set because it really only needs Brave Bird and Flare Blitz). When ORAS is released and the Battle Spot is back up I would be more concerned with watching out for Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence, Talonflame, Aegislash and any of the new megas (because hype)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I still have a bunch of Bagon in case you guys want a competitive Mega Salamence. They are Jolly and come with all necessary egg moves (Hydro Pump / DD / Thrash).

noobius The main things that will be banned in ORAS league are:
HA genies
Any event move that did not receive a release in the 6th gen (Eruption Heatran, Crown beasts)
Any past gen tutor move (Sucker Punch Latias)
XD-exclusive moves

Keep in mind that good legendaries will be harder to obtain, so I will expect that their usage will decline.

I still have a bunch of Bagon in case you guys want a competitive Mega Salamence. They are Jolly and come with all necessary egg moves (Hydro Pump / DD / Thrash).
That would be great. I'm still in the 'scraping together enough IVed pokemon to fill a team' phase. I assume everyone here has done way more breeding than me but I have managed to breed an effectively perfect huge power marill and speed boost torchic if you still need those.

By the way how exactly does breeding work with pokemon legality for ORAS? Iirc both my eugenics programs started with things I got myself in Y so they shouldn't be a problem. But I'm wondering if I'll be able to use pokemon I got from wonder trade or bred from starting points in wonder trade.

Also thanks everyone for the help.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
By the way how exactly does breeding work with pokemon legality for ORAS? Iirc both my eugenics programs started with things I got myself in Y so they shouldn't be a problem. But I'm wondering if I'll be able to use pokemon I got from wonder trade or bred from starting points in wonder trade.
Breeding with stuff from trading / wonder trade is totally fine as long as the parent you get is legal. The only way you'll really be able to tell that something is illegal is if it's something obviously hacked like a Moon ball Charmander or has an ability that isn't released yet or something like that. If you're just starting out I would suggest going to the Wi-Fi forum and finding user Buckert, he is giving away free Dittos for breeding in his trade thread (or ask in the simple questions thread). It not only makes breeding super easy but you also don't have to worry about breeding with illegal stuff

Breeding with stuff from trading / wonder trade is totally fine as long as the parent you get is legal. The only way you'll really be able to tell that something is illegal is if it's something obviously hacked like a Moon ball Charmander or has an ability that isn't released yet or something like that. If you're just starting out I would suggest going to the Wi-Fi forum and finding user Buckert, he is giving away free Dittos for breeding in his trade thread (or ask in the simple questions thread). It not only makes breeding super easy but you also don't have to worry about breeding with illegal stuff
I actually have a ditto friend safari so I have pretty much all the 2 stat dittos I need. Or were you saying that he has better ones?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I actually have a ditto friend safari so I have pretty much all the 2 stat dittos I need. Or were you saying that he has better ones?
Yeah don't bother with Safari Dittos. Buckert (tagging so maybe he sees this, you can also click his name to go to his profile, then go to information and click on his trade thread) have unlimited access to 6iv Dittos, or ones with specific hidden power IV spreads. 2iv Dittos are so 2013...

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
There's also an entire subreddit dedicated to giving away 6IV dittos (/r/breedingdittos IIRC) but I'm pretty sure they were genned. Still, if you don't care about that sort of thing (the children will be legal either way), it's another option.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Ah. Thanks for letting me know.

Out of curiosity how did he even get those? Just craptons of resetting?
You must be new, 2009 join date threw me off. He gets them in gen V using a process called Random Number Generator abuse (RNG) which basic allows you to dictate exactly what the nature and IVs a Pokemon will have when caught

There's also an entire subreddit dedicated to giving away 6IV dittos (/r/breedingdittos IIRC) but I'm pretty sure they were genned. Still, if you don't care about that sort of thing (the children will be legal either way), it's another option.
It's against Smogon's rules to breed with stuff that was hacked, so those babies are illegal (although there's no where to tell afaik)

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
Yeah don't bother with Safari Dittos. Buckert (tagging so maybe he sees this, you can also click his name to go to his profile, then go to information and click on his trade thread) have unlimited access to 6iv Dittos, or ones with specific hidden power IV spreads. 2iv Dittos are so 2013...
Ah. Thanks for letting me know.

Out of curiosity how did he even get those? Just craptons of resetting?
You would have to ask him but my guess is RNG from a previous gen
I RNG abused all my Ditto's in Pokémon Black. :) Got every nature with 31/31/31/31/31/31, all Trick Room natures with 31/31/31/31/31/00 and every usefull Hidden Power. :) Thanks for tagging me cant say. I'd be glad to trade my Dittos here.

You must be new, 2009 join date threw me off. He gets them in gen V using a process called Random Number Generator abuse (RNG) which basic allows you to dictate exactly what the nature and IVs a Pokemon will have when caught

It's against Smogon's rules to breed with stuff that was hacked, so those babies are illegal (although there's no where to tell afaik)
I used to do a little online battling here so I guess I felt the need to post something at some point but I never really got into the community.

So by that you mean specifically going in and modifying the save as compared to RNG which I assume is using some outside program to modify inputs into a particular pattern?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Actually, RNG abuse requires no modification of game saves - it's not very much different than a dynamic guide that runs algorithms that tell you when a specific seed shows up given parameters. You still need to perform the inputs necessary in order to obtain the Pokemon in question. It's very easy to do in BW.

Btw I can give you the Bagon tonight, I am at work atm (too excited to concentrate lol)

As for my question to the lot of you - is Lati@site usable in XY League?

Actually, RNG abuse requires no modification of game saves - it's not very much different than a dynamic guide that runs algorithms that tell you when a specific seed shows up given parameters. You still need to perform the inputs necessary in order to obtain the Pokemon in question. It's very easy to do in BW.

Btw I can give you the Bagon tonight, I am at work atm (too excited to concentrate lol)

As for my question to the lot of you - is Lati@site usable in XY League?
Can lati@site be legally obtained in XY yet?

I dont think ORAS mega stones can be transferred to xy(call me out if im wrong)so unless they release lati@site in XY at some point I dont think it would be legal. But they have been in the game's code for a while now so it's possible.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I used to do a little online battling here so I guess I felt the need to post something at some point but I never really got into the community.

So by that you mean specifically going in and modifying the save as compared to RNG which I assume is using some outside program to modify inputs into a particular pattern?
A really simple way of thinking about RNG is that it is like Soft Resetting but it tells you exactly when to press 'A' on the Pokemon to start the battle (or use Sweet Scent to engage a wild battle). This is why it's not considered hacking because you aren't actually changing the data on the game, just using the way the game generates things to your advantage.

So basically, Buckert (or anyone trying to RNG) opens the program and asks it 'when will a Ditto with a timid nature and 31/30/30/31/31/31 IVs pop out?' The program will spit out a time and date, you go and change your DS's clock to a time right before that, start your game and wait for the right moment to start the battle / talk to a delivery man etc...

I hope that made sense, that was just my rudimentary understanding of the process as I don't do it myself haha

Hey guys, ORAS is out #ORASHYPE Time to start discussing ORAS meta?
Well a new thread is going to be made for that but I think we should let the meta sit in for a week or two before we go discussing viability. Right now all the megas are still new and we still haven't fully figured out how to use/play against them.

Well a new thread is going to be made for that but I think we should let the meta sit in for a week or two before we go discussing viability. Right now all the megas are still new and we still haven't fully figured out how to use/play against them.
Good idea

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Moved these posts to the simple questions thread!

I'm gonna be getting Alpha Sapphire tonight. However, in addition to classes and Thanksgiving next week, I like to take my sweet time playing so I probably won't hit the Battle Spot ladder for a little while. I'm not sure when we're gonna have new threads for all the ORAS Metas, but until then, you're all still welcome to post your metagame thoughts in the Mega Thread for it until we split everything up.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
tbh I would wait just a little longer than a week with respect to the users in Europe, who don't get their games until next week.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Latios - #381 (Timid) : 30 - 31 / 4 - 9 / 31 / 27 - 29 / 30 - 31 / 30 - 31

Keep/toss? I wish I had some means of confirming whether it's 31 Speed, since the characteristic implies 31 Def. Also I'm concerned whether 27 SpA will make it miss OHKOs/2HKOs

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
If you've landed 31 / 4,6,8 / 31 / 28 / 31 / 30 then holy shit keep. If it's not a HP fire spread and the speed is 30 then probably toss because Latios' speed tier is too important to drop a point. Also consider asking in Wi-Fi as they are pretty good critics of SRs (although they demand perfection)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
If you've landed 31 / 4,6,8 / 31 / 28 / 31 / 30 then holy shit keep. If it's not a HP fire spread and the speed is 30 then probably toss because Latios' speed tier is too important to drop a point. Also consider asking in Wi-Fi as they are pretty good critics of SRs (although they demand perfection)
Latios - #381 (Timid) : 31 / 8 - 9 / 31 / 28 - 29 / 30 - 31 / 31

I've decided to keep - the difference between a 28 and a 31 at lv50 w/ 252 SpA EVs is 2 points, and iirc that's less than a 1% difference in damage. I will be happy if it's 29 SpA, where the difference is only 1 point, but at this point I will keep :)

EDIT: Holy shit! I got lucky:

Latios - #381 (Timid) : 31 / 8 / 31 / 29 / 30 - 31 / 31

29 SpA is only a 1 point difference, so I'm most pleased :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)