Hidden OU (Final reveal pg. 17)

EV

Banned deucer.
We're getting a little bit closer. I found out that:
= Z
= SAND
He/she also told me that the Pokemon next to the legendary bird Pokemon will receive the same ability, so whatever Moltres/Zapdos/Articuno get, Torkoal/Kingdra/Cryogonal get too, respectively.

Right now I'm deciphering a list of about 50 Pokemon. This will be the biggest breakthrough yet and I'll update this thread once I have them all completed.

We're getting a little bit closer. I found out that:
= Z
= SAND
He/she also told me that the Pokemon next to the legendary bird Pokemon will receive the same ability, so whatever Moltres/Zapdos/Articuno get, Torkoal/Kingdra/Cryogonal get too, respectively.

Right now I'm deciphering a list of about 50 Pokemon. This will be the biggest breakthrough yet and I'll update this thread once I have them all completed.
basically you're saying torkoal gets drought, cryogonal gets snow warning(this one was obvious), and kingdra gets drizzle.

Reactions: EV
If they get rid of Toxic Heal for my Breloom, I'll be pissed, but otherwise, this has the potential to be game-changing in a good way.

Durant for example really needs some other Hidden Ability. Whoever thought it was a good idea to give him Truant clearly shouldn't've been left in charge of such decisions in the first place.
Then again, it is hilarious when you battle Durant in the Battle Maison...

canno

formerly The Reptile
I'm going to try and decipher this with my magic deciphering powers.

EDIT: Ok so I got a few things I (think) are correct using what Eevee gave us. We'll have to wait and see until Eevee confirms/denies these

One thing that's strange and gives me doubt is that Articuno doesn't add up to what's given. This either means that there's 1 symbol = 2 letter shenanigans somewhere or I cant into translating, but I feel like its right. EDIT: Translated everything (I think) Not sure if its accurate still but it seems to add up

If this is correct, we get Sand Rush Rampardos, Sand Force Rhyperior, and Sand Stream Gliscor. Fun. However Force doesn't correctly match-up either. I still think its right though because nothing else really fits there, and some of the letters add up.
EDIT: the mystery word is more than likely "Abilities". Changed image to reflect this

EDIT: I think I got most of page 3/4 right Something interesting I noticed is that the letter "c" is missing - as in it gets translated to a blank space. Very interesting

Last edited:
Reactions: EV

EV

Banned deucer.
With all the buzz surrounding the news, we really haven't really talked about the competitive ramifications of what we know so far.

I'm really looking forward to Tinted Lens Espeon. Psychic is resisted by Steel and Psychic, but Tinted Lens doubles the damage output against those targets, meaning only Steel/Psychic Pokemon will take resisted hits from Espeon's STAB. Dark is still immune, but Espeon can run Fairy coverage with Dazzling Gleam to hit them SE. I can see a dual attacking set with Sub and Calm Mind getting some usage.

There is one Pokemon we have with a confirmed HA that helps it stand up to Espeon, however: Fur Coat Flareon. It doesn't even need to invest in Defense to avoid a 2HKO from Psyshock, and a high Attack means it can drop EVs into HP and Special Defense, making it a well-rounded tank. Look:

252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Flareon: 129-152 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Flareon: 75-91 (22.4 - 27.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
and here's a SE hit:
252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Flareon: 117-138 (35 - 41.3%) -- 68.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Flareon--unlike the last Fur Coat Pokemon, Furfrou--has recovery with Wish. It also has a high BP STAB attack in Flare Blitz. Heal Bell is also nice to rid itself of Toxic.

0 Atk Flareon Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Espeon: 244-288 (90 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

There's also another Eeveelution that can shrug off most of Espeon's attacks and that's Filter Umbreon.

252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Filter Umbreon: 136-162 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- 64.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Umbreon: 103-123 (26.1 - 31.2%) -- 11.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Is this the year of the Eevees?

See I like this troll. Its actually totally possible if you get Blaziken to Mimic an Ice Punch, or use Mirror Move.

So gamefreak might have gone through the effort of importing a Blaziken all the way from generation 3 just to troll us. That takes some dedication man.
Diancie using Nature Power in a cave was "funny" too. And unlike Ice Punch Blaziken, Game Freak didn't send an official apology and remove it from the site.

Anyway, it couldn't have been Mirror Move because Blaziken's target was a Pokémon that cannot learn Ice Punch. Mimic is technically possible, however.

But this is all off-topic.

With all the buzz surrounding the news, we really haven't really talked about the competitive ramifications of what we know so far.

I'm really looking forward to Tinted Lens Espeon. Psychic is resisted by Steel and Psychic, but Tinted Lens doubles the damage output against those targets, meaning only Steel/Psychic Pokemon will take resisted hits from Espeon's STAB. Dark is still immune, but Espeon can run Fairy coverage with Dazzling Gleam to hit them SE. I can see a dual attacking set with Sub and Calm Mind getting some usage.

There is one Pokemon we have with a confirmed HA that helps it stand up to Espeon, however: Fur Coat Flareon. It doesn't even need to invest in Defense to avoid a 2HKO from Psyshock, and a high Attack means it can drop EVs into HP and Special Defense, making it a well-rounded tank. Look:

252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Flareon: 129-152 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Flareon: 75-91 (22.4 - 27.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
and here's a SE hit:
252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Flareon: 117-138 (35 - 41.3%) -- 68.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Flareon--unlike the last Fur Coat Pokemon, Furfrou--has recovery with Wish. It also has a high BP STAB attack in Flare Blitz. Heal Bell is also nice to rid itself of Toxic.

0 Atk Flareon Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Espeon: 244-288 (90 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

There's also another Eeveelution that can shrug off most of Espeon's attacks and that's Filter Umbreon.

252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Filter Umbreon: 136-162 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- 64.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Umbreon: 103-123 (26.1 - 31.2%) -- 11.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Is this the year of the Eevees?
just saying that on showdown fur coat does not half the damage of psyshock or its cousins.

just saying that on showdown fur coat does not half the damage of psyshock or its cousins.
If that's so then it's probably a bug and it should be corrected '-', as Psyshock & its cousins are physical damage.

Fur Coat's data from Pokémon Showdown:

If it's intended to be that way (someone could confirm with a console game), I feel like the description should be changed.

If that's so then it's probably a bug and it should be corrected '-', as Psyshock & its cousins are physical damage.

If it's intended to be that way (someone could confirm with a console game), I feel like the description should be changed.
X/YHalves damage from physical moves.

this is the in game flavor text. its not a bug in the code but rather a blip in the showdown description. besides this, in ability switch slowbro's psyshock was always the only thing that ever did much to dusclops

Sand Rush Rampardos could be interesting. But I find it hard to believe that Rough Skin Blastoise is actually supposed to be real. I get Dry Skin Vaporeon though (evaporates under intense sun, thus causing damage, while rain restores health, since water is vital to Vaporeon's make up).

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
they couldve had a pokemon use ice punch, switch into blaziken, th
Sand Rush Rampardos could be interesting. But I find it hard to believe that Rough Skin Blastoise is actually supposed to be real. I get Dry Skin Vaporeon though (evaporates under intense sun, thus causing damage, while rain restores health, since water is vital to Vaporeon's make up).
b...but...water cant be dry... ;~; i mean, in a "mechanic" standpoint yeah, it makes sense. but ability wise, it would be like giving mr mime solid rock. (which is why it got filter instead)

canno

formerly The Reptile
I finished translating both of the new pages. It seems to add up, although its not 100% certain for sure. This would mean that (due to translation + what Eevee said)

• Articuno and Cryogonal get Snow Warning
  • Zapdos and Kingdra get Drizzle
  • Moltres and Torkoal get Drought
  • Rampardos gets Sand Rush
  • Rhyperior gets Sand Force
  • Gliscor gets Sand Stream
I doubt there's anything new but I'll try and decipher the other pages too. This is a very interesting choice GF has made!

EDIT: Nevermind, I won't translate it. Doubt there's anything there anyways.

Last edited:

It is intended as Psyshock is still considered a special attack, even if it deals damage on the physical side, as you can easily test this with Mirror Coat as you'll return the damage dealt - whereas using Counter simply fails.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I just fixed Fur Coat, it'll be live on next restart.

Flareon is saved!!!

P.S. Game Freak is notorious for misleading descriptions; Reflect says it raises Defense but actually halves physical damage, and Fur Coat says it halves physical damage but actually raises Defense. (Psyshock and friends are special damage directed at Defense)

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
I just fixed Fur Coat, it'll be live on next restart.

Flareon is saved!!!

P.S. Game Freak is notorious for misleading descriptions; Reflect says it raises Defense but actually halves physical damage, and Fur Coat says it halves physical damage but actually raises Defense. (Psyshock and friends are special damage directed at Defense)
does that mean fur coat is negated when a crit happens? ._. pls no

EV

Banned deucer.
OK I just finished decoding the last list from my contact. I think I should give him/her a name so I don't have to keep saying "my contact." How about code name Farfetch'd? Seems appropriate.

Anyway, Farfetch'd Fed-Exed a list written in invisible ink on the inside of a shopping bag in Sumerian. Took me all day to decipher it. I have confirmation on the Pokemon on pages 3-4 and I also have a bunch more not yet brought up.

Moltres: Drought
Torkoal: Drought
Zapdos: Drizzle
Kingdra family: Drizzle
Articuno: Snow Warning
Cryogonal: Snow Warning
Gliscor: Sand Stream
Gligar: Toxic Boost
Rampardos family: Sand Rush
Rhyperior: Sand Force
Rhyhorn/Rhydon: Multiscale
Snover family: Lightning Rod
Mega Abomasnow: Snow Cloak
Nidoran-F/Nidorina/Nidoran-M/Nidorino: Quick Feet
Nidoqueen/Nidoking: Parental Bond
Growlithe family: Sheer Force
Abra family: Magician
Mega Alakazam: Pure Power
Grimer family: Gooey
Tangela family: Poison Heal
Staryu family: Suction Cups
Wooper family: Sap Sipper
Murkrow family: Defiant
Scyther: Speed Boost
Scizor: Hustle
Mega Scizor: Battle Armor
Chansey family: Shell Armor
Raikou: Competitive
Entei: Defiant
Suicune: Swift Swim
Larvitar: Gluttony
Pupitar: Unburden
Tyranitar: Rough Skin
Mega Tyranitar: Mold Breaker
Taillow family: Aerilate
Slakoth/Slaking: Stall
Vigoroth: Rattled
Feebas: Cute Charm
Milotic: Adaptability
All Deoxys: Telepathy
Starly: Shield Dust
Staravia/Staraptor: Moxie
Croagunk family: Liquid Ooze
Uxie: Analytic
Mesprite: Synchronize
Azelf: Pressure
Celebi: Pixilate
Mew: Protean

Phew! That's all for now!

Last edited:
Oh goodness, Protean Mew is going to be ridiculous. Access to all the TM, HM, and Move Tutor coverage it could dream of, plus (unlike Greninja) solid bulk to take a variety of hits on both sides.

Competitive Raikou also looks really nice because of its ability to hit Flying-type Defoggers, as well as certain spinners like Starmie and Tentacruel.

Poison Heal Tangrowth with Leech Seed will be incredibly obnoxious as well.

More thoughts when I have more time.

So lots of cool stuff here. Moxie Staraptor seems interesting, Azelf getting pressure over Leviatate kind of sucks tho. Dat Shell Armor Eviolite Chansey tho... everyone get your fighting types ready

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)