Resource Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, Read Post #419)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can set up on stuff like Sableye and Chansey and it needs Aura Sphere after it has set-up for stuff like Heatran. Without Aura Sphere you rely on flinching Heatran 5 times in a row.
Aura Sphere 2HKOes Heatran at +2 if spD so stil it can phaze it out with roar but w/e (dazzling gleam hits bisharp, air slash ferrothorn) only notable targets are heatran, klefki and skarm (correct me if im wrong) we better take this somewhere else though

doughboy StarmeiTheGod
For one 252 SPD Chansey is quite rare 252 hp 252 bold 4 SPD more common, but w/e.

Also yes it sucks vs offense but its a stallbreaker, not an offense breaker, other mons like Bisharp can be on your team to break offense. Manaphy MegaHeracross, MegaGardevoir also sucks vs offense, but are some of the best stall breakers.

Mew has always sucked vs heatran even with wisp.

Exactly, you don't need speed with this set to burn things.

As for why not togekiss because togekiss risks getting toxic'd/t-wave by chansey ending its sweep.

Hooray for GameFreak logic!
Anyways, if you want a Dragon type that lures in Fairy types, I feel you're much better off using Hydreigon who has access to Flash Cannon and Iron Tail.
Flash Cannon does jack shit to Fairies since they're heavily Sp.Def oriented whilst even that ear-splitting Fairy move your rival's Meowstic in X/Y keeps spamming will send it packing. Salamence hits faster and harder with Iron Tail, but even then he still needs a boost to properly kill Fairies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Flash Cannon does jack shit to Fairies since they're heavily Sp.Def oriented whilst even that ear-splitting Fairy move your rival's Meowstic in X/Y keeps spamming will send it packing. Salamence hits faster and harder with Iron Tail, but even then he still needs a boost to properly kill Fairies.
Modest flash cannon 2HKOes the standard clefable spread, so I'd actually do some calcs before saying it does jack shit. Hydreigon can run iron tail fwiw.

Yeah as I said Mence does have a few advantages over mons like Kyurem-B and Lati. One of them on your set being the lure n bop of SpA Mence. I was just pointing out that this set isn't exactly great just because it gives some threatening mons a free switch, etc (see my above post.) I wasn't saying Mence is completely outclassed but it's outclassed to a degree that it's not gonna get a lot of usage as it is because Intimi + slightly faster than KyuB/speed ties w/ base 100s (110 is much more of a crucial speed tier now anyway) + in this case the lure isn't really enough of an argument to use it > Kyurem/Lati. Again as I said in certain situations/teams a set like this might work and I'm not trying to call it bad I was just pointing out some flaws with using Mence/this set. :]
Alright, fair enough. Nothing more to discuss now.

such jack shit (although this is a biased calc)
200 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 442-520 (183.4 - 215.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Modest flash cannon 2HKOes the standard clefable spread, so I'd actually do some calcs before saying it does jack shit. Hydreigon can run iron tail fwiw.
Flash Cannon (assuming standard scarfed Hydreigon set), only has 2HKOs in Clefable and Gardevoir. It is completely walled by other Fairies such as Sylveon, Togekiss, Azumarill and Whimsicott. Meanwhile, one attack from any of those Fairies will outright kill him.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Flash Cannon (assuming standard scarfed Hydreigon set), only has 2HKOs in Clefable and Gardevoir. It is completely walled by other Fairies such as Sylveon, Togekiss, Azumarill and Whimsicott. Meanwhile, one attack from any of those Fairies will outright kill him.
Sigh. Scarf Hydreigon does not run flash cannon, Life Orb set does, which is by far the better set. Non-AV azumarill is 2HKOed after rocks by modest LO earth power, togekiss is really uncommon, and Whimsicott is completely irrelevant.
If you really want to you can run Iron Tail to nab the 2HKO on the occasional Sylveon.
You're telling me that a stab 4x super effective move will kill a hydreigon? No shit.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know this is a double post but the posts are unrelated and I made the other post a few hours ago, so I wanted to make this one a new post.

I've been trying out an interesting Mega Tyranitar set:

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Sand Stream
Sassy Nature (+SpD -Spe)
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpDef
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Crunch

I thought it seemed like a cool idea to use Curse + RestTalk instead of Dragon Dance because of Mega Tyranitar's bulk. Crunch is the STAB move of choice because it doesn't miss and has more PP than Rock Slide. I had a weird EV spread but decided to go with max SpDef since the Sand SpDef boost only lasts for 5 turns. Mega Metagross fails to OHKO with Meteor Mash, although Crunch doesn't knock it out without a Curse boost.

Obviously it's going to have problems if you don't weaken or remove the fairy, fighting and steel types that check/counter it.

Just been having some fun with this set, any suggestions are appreciated

The biggest problem with a CroTar set, especially one lacking passive recovery, is that his typing leaves him so defensively vulnerable, while also sacrificing his great offensive options. I just don't like the idea of Cro sets that are packing a tonne of weaknesses. By time you've cleaned out everything on an opponent's team that could be a threat to this, you could have probably won the game in a much easier fashion.

On the other hand, you throw Suicune out there, and your opponent has to just... you know... deal with it.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, the idea of the set definitely works better on Suicune. It is outclassed there, I was more wondering if this could compete with the DD TTar set and after testing it out a bit I don't think it does.

It is pretty bulky but like you said too many things hit it super effectively. Even though it tanks a ton of super effective hits I ended up having to use Rest a bit too often, especially since it gets so slow.

Scrolled down some pages, didn't see mola on any of them.

Alomolololol (Alomomola) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 200 Def / 204 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Scald
- Mirror Coat
- Protect

Basically it's mola standard set with some tweaks to take special hits from anything not named thundurus and then retaliate back with a Mirror Coat based on the giant HP stat mola has.
Still bulky, still annoying and has some way to destroy the opponents momentum by punishing them every time they use volt-switch against mola.

Example:
0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 210-248 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
210 - 248 HP which translates to 420 - 498 HP since Mirror Coat doubles the damage dealt.
Chansey scale ---> 59 - 70%

Relevant calcs:
STAB Electric attacks:
0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 210-248 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Volt Switch vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 420-494 (84.5 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 540-636 (108.6 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (doesn't work againts specs t-bolt but you can scout for it lol)
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 404-476 (81.2 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Volt Switch vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 314-372 (63.1 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 499-588 (100.4 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (still a problem)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Volt Switch vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 504-594 (101.4 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (other problem)

252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 432-510 (86.9 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 422-500 (84.9 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Volt Switch vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 429-507 (86.3 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Wallbreakers:
232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 301-355 (60.5 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 304-359 (61.1 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 406-478 (81.6 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 444-524 (89.3 - 105.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola in Rain: 271-319 (54.5 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
216 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 269-317 (54.1 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 290-342 (58.3 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola in Rain: 435-513 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 435-512 (87.5 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Sweepers:
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 269-317 (54.1 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 368-434 (74 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Sceptile Giga Drain vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 356-420 (71.6 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 104 HP / 200+ Def Alomomola: 165-195 (33.1 - 39.2%) -- 11% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 160-190 (32.1 - 38.2%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Random Clefable calc:
+4 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 104 HP / 204 SpD Alomomola: 390-460 (78.4 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Problems for the set that should be taken care when teambuilding: Thundurus, Gothitelle, Zard-X, Ferrothorn, Sub Mega Lopunny, Sub DD Gyara.
I used this with Unaware Clef and Amoongus, seems to work nice:]

Also 252 hp / 252 def is the best Chansey spread imo

Hawlucha @ Leftovers
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Baton Pass

A nice ~~shitty~~ gimmick, SD BP hawlucha, the set is self explanatory. It sets up on stuff like bisharp or lando-t which cannot touch it, and can either hjk the next pokemon the other player brings in or baton pass out against stuff it cannot ohko(like clefable)to another threat(like metagross). With its great speed it can often pass the boost out when facing slower threats. Drain punch can also be used over HJK for more recovery. Limber is used to avoid paralysis, and people might not expect the baton pass if they do not see the lefties.

Its EV spread allows it to outrun base 115s like raikou, mega absol. There isnt anything with 116/117 base speed other that whimsicott(116) which doesnt need max speed to mess lucha up anyway(prankster encore), thus 232 jolly is enough speed.

Of course, being a fighting type it has issues with birds like talonflame which needs to be dealt with by its teammates. Overall its still a fun and unexpected set. :]]]]

Last edited:
Yeah, the idea of the set definitely works better on Suicune. It is outclassed there, I was more wondering if this could compete with the DD TTar set and after testing it out a bit I don't think it does.

It is pretty bulky but like you said too many things hit it super effectively. Even though it tanks a ton of super effective hits I ended up having to use Rest a bit too often, especially since it gets so slow.

Honestly, if you need a physically based Curse/Rest setup sweeper, you'd probably get a lot more mileage out of M-Aggron. Way better defensive typing that allows him to stay in long enough to actually do his job, and while steel might not be as good an offensive type as dark, raw firepower isn't really your biggest concern on a Cro, at least in comparison to survivability and overall game-stopping ability. TTar's overall better balance of defensive stats might help to make him a bit more survivable once you've given him enough turns to properly set up, but most teams are going to be carrying the tools needed to eviscerate the poor guy several times over before than.

Recently i got into playing more active again and found great use in a Latias set, which i think might be pretty original:

(F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 68 SpA / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Wish
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
- Defog/Hidden Power Fire

This set basically has two purposes, the first is, to support its team by passing the biggest possible wishes.
The second idea behind this Latias is to effectively bait in and heavily damage or even beat Heatran, if it has some prior damage. This cleans the way for Pokemon like Scizor, Talonflame, Manectric etc.

On the third slot i'm using Draco for the maximum damage output, but going more conservative and using Dragon Pulse should work too.
Lastly i've put Defog, since the team i've used this on still needed a reliable defogger and i think Latias fits this role very well, but if you're not in need of it for hazard control, i suggest going for HP Fire to hurt other common switch-ins.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Recently i got into playing more active again and found great use in a Latias set, which i think might be pretty original:

(F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 68 SpA / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Wish
- Earthquake

This set basically has two purposes, the first is, to support its team by passing the biggest possible wishes.
The second idea behind this Latias is to effectively bait in and heavily damage or even beat Heatran, if it has some prior damage. This cleans the way for Pokemon like Scizor, Talonflame, Manectric etc.

On the third slot i'm using Draco for the maximum damage output, but going more conservative and using Dragon Pulse should work too.
Lastly i've put Defog, since the team i've used this on still needed a reliable defogger and i think Latias fits this role very well, but if you're not in need of it for hazard control, i suggest going for HP Fire to hurt other common switch-ins.
Roost > Wish. Latias's HP isn't /that/ great and with no protect and no room to run it, instant recovery is preferred.

Those are all decent options, but the reason why i've come to prefer Wish is because Latias can set that up on so many things without having to be afraid of getting KO'd, the amount of support it can give a team with that is huge.

If i had to make a Roost/Healing Wish variant though, it'd be more offensively inclined and probaply look something like this:

Latias @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Roost/Healing Wish
- Earthquake

0 Atk Latias Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 228-272 (59.2 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not the best lure in the world.

0 Atk Latias Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 228-272 (59.2 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not the best lure in the world.
It's a guaranteed 2HKO in every case, with small prior damage and/or hazards even a kill, i think that's pretty solid.

Not sure about rare but 252 SpD is the way better spread
May I ask why? To my understanding the extra special bulk is mostly not needed as its special bulk is already so high, but by investing in defense and hp you receive significant more physical bulk.

It's a guaranteed 2HKO in every case, with small prior damage and/or hazards even a kill, i think that's pretty solid.
Your latias is a lil too offensive for a defensive set. If you wanna lure heatran and ferro, use latios instead. For a bulky latias, roost would be a better option which means it'll be a standard non gimmick latias with defog, roost, draco/psyshock/reflecttype.

tehy

Banned deucer.
May I ask why? To my understanding the extra special bulk is mostly not needed as its special bulk is already so high, but by investing in defense and hp you receive significant more physical bulk.
With max HP, you gain 62 HP (over a 4 hp spread), which is about a... 9.6% increase in bulk on both sides. Almost 20% overall.

With max SpD, you gain 62 SpD (again over 4 SpD) which is a 25% increase in special bulk.

Yeah, chansey is specially bulky, but there is shit that can muscle past it anyhow, like NP thundy, TG manaphy, CM lando-i, really many boosting special attackers can pose a threat, and random Volt Switches and stuff can wear you down. In addition, more special attacks can force you to Softboiled in fear of a 2HKO.

Overall, more bulk in general and on your more relevant defensive stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)