VoltTurn Mayhem

Approved by Eevee General and TheImmortal. Thank you very much!

Have you ever used a move like Volt Switch, Parting Shot, or U-Turn and thought "Man, I really wish there were more moves like these." Or maybe "I wish more Pokemon could learn these moves." Or perhaps "I wish I had more viable options for building a team or strategy around these moves." After all, they're fun and amazing useful moves for stall and offense alike, so who wouldn't want to see more of them?

Well, my friend, I invite you to Volturn Mayhem. Welcome to the metagame where every move that directly affects your opponent forces you to switch! Tackle? Bullet Punch? Will-O-Wisp? Taunt? Yes, all of them and many, many, many more! This is a metagame that promises to throw things on its head by copying a simple mechanic from a small collection of moves and applying it to everything. Gone are strategies such as set-up offense and Perish Trapping. Meanwhile, strategies that rely heavily on momentum may very well become dominant forces!

While it's hard to predict how things will go until it's playable, some things I predict being major components include...

-Set-up offense being nearly useless. What good is it to set a Swords Dance up if you lose it upon attack? Last stand users aside.

-Fast and fragile attackers being able to strike hard, strike fast, and flee before they can get struck in return. Same for priority users, both attackers and Pranksters.

-Bulky regenerators sponging hits to attack or status and then switching for free to heal.

-Choice items being really darn good.

-Same for hazards.

-Trapping moves being completely useless, since you switch immediately.

-Roar, Whirlwind, etc. shuffles the opposing team and then lets the user switch after, letting them capitalize on the opponent's uncontrolled switch.

-Field effects, such as weather, being more potent since one can switch to an abuser without manual switching. Especially Drought, Drizzle, Sandstream, and Snow Warning, since they don't use a turn to trigger.

Current Bans

-Fake Out limited to one per team.

-All other OU clauses.

For reference, only moves that specifically target your foe force a switch. Those that target the user (Recover, King's Shield, Dragon Dance), the user's side (Heal Bell, Wish, Mist), the field (Sunny Day, Trick Room, Gravity), hazards (Spikes, Stealth Rock), or everyone (Haze, Perish Song, Heart Swap) will keep the user in play. Also, depending on whatever is easier to code, Future Sight and Doom Desire may or may not make the user's side switch on use or on hit.

Already playable on the Aqua Server! Playable on the regular servers this month! So let's try all sort of crazy shenanigans to see what might become dominant forces! And also laugh and mock Pokemon who are amazing in standard but are now terrible or even useless after this metagame's defining gimmick comes into play.

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for short post, but this seems pretty fun! I had a similar idea a while ago and am happy someone made it a metagame, but am a little busy so can't post too much.

Anyway this metagame will probably be dominated by hyper offense. You can nuke something and if they switch in a resist, you can switch in something that can handle it. If it's a wall that stays in, you can switch into something that can handle it as well. This way you'll always have momentum against stallier teams, as you can attack and switch in one turn, easily decimating them. It'll probably be focused around offense and bringing in sweepers, and how to use slow switchers to get an advantage against fast one that they can handle.

babydoll eyes is the new parting shot!

for real tho I see scizor being really good in this

Scizor @ Scizorite.
Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Defog/Superpower
Roost

Oh by the way Mega Gardevoir. Pixilate Hyper Beam. gg
And considering you could pair it with Sylveon, another powerful Pixilate user, the Hyper Beam spam would be stronk.

I'm rather intrigued by Regenerator, but the only OU poke that gets it is Slowbro. Alomomola could probably pull off a decent set, but what else could abuse it? Wish passing is improved, since you can hit the opponent before switching into the receiver instead of just switching it in, leaving it vulnerable. It might also be possible to use high flinch chance moves to guarantee even further the healing of Wish.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
This code is untested due to app.js not wanting to run, but I believe this code is functional nonetheless. Note that I assumed only single-target moves would cause you to switch.

config/formats.js
Code:
    {
        name: "VoltTurn Mayhem",
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview'],
        banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite'],
        mod: 'voltturn'
    },
mods/voltturn/scripts.js
Code:
exports.BattleScripts = {
    init: function () {
        for (var i in this.data.Movedex) {
            if (i.target && !i.nonGhostTarget && i.target === "normal") i.selfSwitch = true;
        }
    }
};

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast(150bp) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur in Sun: 366-432 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
let me see
mega luppony
gigaimpact
fakeout
DrainPunch
quick attack

kangaskhan
scrappy
muscel band
fake out
giga impact
suckerpunch
earthquake

meat the fake spam core

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast(150bp) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur in Sun: 366-432 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
What the fuck is a Fire Miss doing here? This Meta, Blast Burn ZardY is as/more effective as/than 1v1.
150 BP of fire-typed nuke coming your way.
(Edit: Oh, I see, Blast burn isn't in calcs. sorry... but it proves the point

And considering you could pair it with Sylveon, another powerful Pixilate user, the Hyper Beam spam would be stronk.

I'm rather intrigued by Regenerator, but the only OU poke that gets it is Slowbro. Alomomola could probably pull off a decent set, but what else could abuse it? Wish passing is improved, since you can hit the opponent before switching into the receiver instead of just switching it in, leaving it vulnerable. It might also be possible to use high flinch chance moves to guarantee even further the healing of Wish.
Run Wish + Charm + Confide imo.

What the fuck is a Fire Miss doing here? This Meta, Blast Burn ZardY is as/more effective as/than 1v1.
150 BP of fire-typed nuke coming your way.
Also that's exactly what he did. Calced it with 150 base power because the calculator doesn't have Blast Burn.

Unban Mega Gengar imo for obvious reasons.
Sylveon btw is an amazing wallbreaker with Hyper Beam o-o and is even able to gather more momentum with baby doll eyes.

although I would like to find out if perish song switches you out. it wouldn't be useful very often but if a mon just keeps boosting defense and healing it can be useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)