Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Really like the way the core looks also what do you recommend for a Talonflame check/counter for the cire
Some examples for a burd check for that core are tyranitar, landorus-t, and garchomp.
It really isnt that hard to fit a talonflame check onto a team, I'm not going to make the entire team for you :P

Alright i got another core uh...dont kill me for it being similar to my previous one....and for posting this so quickly. also sorry for any grammar errors.

Charizard-X+F/W/G+D/F/S Core

Alright pretty simple core that covers each other weakness both offensively as well as defensively to beat there would be checks/counters. Charizard x Removes grass types that azumarill hates such as ferrothorn, or steel types such as heatran and skarmory. Azumarill Beats stuff zard x hates such as landorus-t and can help zard-x removes heatran for ferrothorn. Azumarill is also a decent talon flame check as zard is weak to priority brave bird but so is azu. Ferrothorn ties this core together by providing hazzard support as zard-x and azu love that chip damage for crucial ko's and handles faries like mega gard (watch out for blast) or beats other azumarill lacking superpower. Ferro also gets rid of some water types thanks to power whip.Defensively they cover a large portion of each others weaknesses expect ground types moves. (but lando and drill do hate azu and ferro anyways) This Core Can fit on playstyles to your liking. If you want volt turn mons such as defog scizor, rocks gliscor, scarf or defensive landorus , raikou and rotom wash make great partners. If you want a more balanced team Latias is a great partner as well as heatran. If you want a more ho team you can use tailwind SD zard-x +belly drum azumarill. Slashed some stuff such as eq on zard but with azu tran is not that big of a deal. Also slashed superpower on Azu in case you REALLY want to remove stuff like other ferrothorn and ohko max hp/max def t-tar as play rough does 70% at least. slashed t-wave for gyro on ferro becuase if your team is slow t-wave might help but if you run a more volt-turn based team gyro ball might be better for fairy removal. last slashed move on ferro is up to what you need the most. Rocks are for if you dont want to run another hazzard setter and spikes are for if you have a rocks setter already. If you have a hazzard stacking core starmie works well so that you dont remove your own hazards (mostly only if your running ho/volt turn as you want as much damage possible). Anyways that is about it for this core Its beats s rank mons such as keldeo and mega eye (use sd gliscor if hes a problem) but struggles against metagross teams so something like bulky reflect type starmie(rip starmie if gross has GK or Thunder punch) can ease that problem. Enjoy this core guys. Its pretty original but it works really well.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost / Earthquake

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off / Superpower

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball / Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock / Spikes

Also Boltsandbombers I think im gonna help out your thread more helping newer players and normal players with cores for them to build their team around is fun!

Edit: Think im gonna add another core to this post later.

Heres the second core:

Dual intimidate core

Pretty basic core. The coolest part about this core is how both mons have intimidate. Because of this they can really screw with physical attackers. They also have great coverage offensively and defensively lando covers manes only weakness ground type moves. Also this core is really great with mons that hate electric types so pokemon such as lo starmie and crawdaunt are great parnters. Pokemon that like volt-turn such as defog scizor and rotom wash work well with these two. Hazzard setters like chesnaught, klefki, and heatran work well with these two has volt-turn causes a ton of switches overall. I dont recomend using a defogger as all hazzards are needed for volt-turn to work at its best. Seeing as defog is hated by these two as they want hazards. pokemon that remove the latis and prevent rapid spin such as bisharp and gengar work greatly Together with this core as its scares the latis and spinners most notably opposing starm (bisharp beats), and defoggers (bisharp also beats). gengar also helps with spin blocking. With a Dual intimidate core bisharp can have a field day with this core. For this reason using Breloom or conk (mostly conk due to bulk) work well with these two. Keldeo can be used instead however Cobal has better synergy with these two thanks to his typing. Try this core out if you want.

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Last edited:
I'd mention something in the dual intimidate core about facing opposing Bisharp if you're going to use Landorus-T and M Manectric. Something with Mach Punch would be really good to consider I think...(?)

I'd mention something in the dual intimidate core about facing opposing Bisharp if you're going to use Landorus-T and M Manectric. Something with Mach Punch would be really good to consider I think...(?)
Magnezone with HP Fighting works fine.

Or just slap on a Keldeo and call it a day.
Precisely! There's a number of options for handling Bisharp, but with a dual Intimidate core it is definitely something you have to consider when rounding out the core/team. The post already mentioned that electric-fearing mons fit well into the core already, so Keldeo would make a great partner.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
+
Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
Yeah. This is one of those cores that I have been trying out because it not only works well in this meta, but it is also really fun to use now. Houndoom is your standard wall breaker that wants to dish out as much hits as it can while being able to simultaneously break stall. Taunt + NP is a really good way to do so and it's insanely good offensive typing and speed allows it to work really well in the current metagame. Toxicroak on the other hand, is another interesting pick because it is able to take on the rise of fairies really well. Not only that, but it also has the niche of switching in on SubCM Keld and other bulky water types, turning them into set up fodder (except for the stray burns). Wisp doesn't become an issue when you have non-mega doom to absorb it. Overall, it's a fun pick for this meta.

Dual intimidate core

Pretty basic core. The coolest part about this core is how both mons have intimidate. Because of this they can really screw with physical attackers. They also have great coverage offensively and defensively lando covers manes only weakness ground type moves. Also this core is really great with mons that hate electric types so pokemon such as lo starmie and crawdaunt are great parnters. Pokemon that like volt-turn such as defog scizor and rotom wash work well with these two. Hazzard setters like chesnaught, klefki, and heatran work well with these two has volt-turn causes a ton of switches overall. I dont recomend using a defogger as all hazzards are needed for volt-turn to work at its best. Seeing as defog is hated by these two as they want hazards. pokemon that remove the latis and prevent rapid spin such as bisharp and gengar work greatly Together with this core as its scares the latis and spinners most notably opposing starm (bisharp beats), and defoggers (bisharp also beats). gengar also helps with spin blocking. With a Dual intimidate core bisharp can have a field day with this core. For this reason using Breloom or conk (mostly conk due to bulk) work well with these two. Keldeo can be used instead however. Try this core out if you want.

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
nice core but i think standard 232 jolly would be better for lando-t. unless adamant does smth important, it loses the jump against mons like scarf Excadrill, + 1 Mega Charizard X, +1 Gyarados, Mega Gyarados, Mega Beedrill, Mega Sceptile, and Scarf Kyurem-Black. still a solid core tho.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
nice core but i think standard 232 jolly would be better for lando-t. unless adamant does smth important, it loses the jump against mons like scarf Excadrill, + 1 Mega Charizard X, +1 Gyarados, Mega Gyarados, Mega Beedrill, Mega Sceptile, and Scarf Kyurem-Black. still a solid core tho.
There's no reason not to go max speed because all charizard x's either are or should be running jolly, which outspeeds all scarf lando at +1.
Oh didn't see that it's adamant scarf lando, make it jolly pls.

There's no reason not to go max speed because all charizard x's either are or should be running jolly, which outspeeds all scarf lando at +1.
Oh didn't see that it's adamant scarf lando, make it jolly pls.
well 232 spd helps you underspeed those max speed landoges giving you momentum.

Heres the second core:

Dual intimidate core

Pretty basic core. The coolest part about this core is how both mons have intimidate. Because of this they can really screw with physical attackers. They also have great coverage offensively and defensively lando covers manes only weakness ground type moves. Also this core is really great with mons that hate electric types so pokemon such as lo starmie and crawdaunt are great parnters. Pokemon that like volt-turn such as defog scizor and rotom wash work well with these two. Hazzard setters like chesnaught, klefki, and heatran work well with these two has volt-turn causes a ton of switches overall. I dont recomend using a defogger as all hazzards are needed for volt-turn to work at its best. Seeing as defog is hated by these two as they want hazards. pokemon that remove the latis and prevent rapid spin such as bisharp and gengar work greatly Together with this core as its scares the latis and spinners most notably opposing starm (bisharp beats), and defoggers (bisharp also beats). gengar also helps with spin blocking. With a Dual intimidate core bisharp can have a field day with this core. For this reason using Breloom or conk (mostly conk due to bulk) work well with these two. Keldeo can be used instead however. Try this core out if you want.

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
Small nitpick, but Cobalion synergizes better wth that core than other Fighting types. This simply goes back to the combination of natural bulk, typing, Defiant, and access to Volt Switch (which let's it keep the momentum going).

done with changes. Also sorry if i didnt get everything i just added on possible partners instead of removing them.

Last edited:
+
Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
Yeah. This is one of those cores that I have been trying out because it not only works well in this meta, but it is also really fun to use now. Houndoom is your standard wall breaker that wants to dish out as much hits as it can while being able to simultaneously break stall. Taunt + NP is a really good way to do so and it's insanely good offensive typing and speed allows it to work really well in the current metagame. Toxicroak on the other hand, is another interesting pick because it is able to take on the rise of fairies really well. Not only that, but it also has the niche of switching in on SubCM Keld and other bulky water types, turning them into set up fodder (except for the stray burns). Wisp doesn't become an issue when you have non-mega doom to absorb it. Overall, it's a fun pick for this meta.
I really like these two guys, and definitely should try something with them some time. They really got a lot going on together.

This is my 1st time posting a core in this thread so any constructive criticism or advice is much appreciated.

This a F/W/G core that I have been using in OU lately to great success, featuring Reckless Emboar as one of the stars.

Being a F/W/G core, these 3 pokemon have extremely good offensive and defensive synergy. When I first made the core I began with Emboar and Celebi.
These two efficiently take out each other's threats, with Emboar taking out Chansey, Heatran, Bisharp, Scizor, Mandibuzz, Weavile, Skarmory and Ferrothorn for Celebi. While Celebi in return uses its grass STAB to remove Azumaril, Rotom-W, Manaphy, Keldeo, Slowbro, Diancie and Hippowdon for Emboar.
They also have good defensive synergy with Emboar being able to make up for Celebi's 4x Bug weakness with its own 4x resistance, as well as resisting Dark, Fire and Ice for Celebi. In return Celebi resists Psychic, Ground and Water.
Rotom-W then comes in as a sort of glue. Being a strong answer to Talon who other wise destroys those two. Rotom also deals with a lot of other pokemon that can give the former to grief (depending on sets) such as Mamoswine, Tyranitar, Victini and Mega Pinsir. Rotom-W has his Grass weakness patch up by both allies.

These sets are just the ones I am using atm and can be changed heaps to suit your team.

Emboar @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
Flare Blitz
Head Smash / Wild Charge
Super Power
Sucker Punch

Flare Blitz and Superpower are awesome STABs. Sucker Punch is fantastic for KOing low health targets and OHKOing pokemon that think they can come in or revenge Emboar such as Gengar and Lati@s. Head Smash is used over Wild Charge on this set as most the things Wild Charge is mandatory for are taken by Celebi. Head Smash is great from OHKOing things on the switch in like Lati@s and particularly Dragonite. There is almost nothing in the game that isn't 2HKOed by this thing. If this thing gets in safely, stuff dies.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Psyshock
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

I'm using a mono-attacking sub nasty-pass Celebi set as it is the most effective at cleaning once Emboar and Rotom-W take out its checks and counters. Baton Passing Substitutes to Emboar successfully usually results in at least 2 pokemon dying.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
Hydro Pump
Volt Switch
Wil-o-wisp
Pain Split

Standard Rotom-W set not really gonna talk on it. Slow Volt Switch helps bring in Emboar.

Like I said those sets are just place holders that I'm using atm. I have also tried centralising the core around Emboar with Thunder Wave on Celebi and Rotom which worked really well. As well as Chesto Rest Rotom with Heal Bell on Celebi.

Team options:
- Thunder wave support is really strong with Emboar.
- Healing wish support often allows Emboar to kill *at least* 3 pokemon before going down.
- (Mega)Scizor forms a slow bulky U-turn core with Rotom-W as does Landorus-T.
- Hazards Really helps Emboar get clean KOs.
- A strong special attacker is much appreciated as it always Celebi to pass its SpA boosts.

The only thing off of the top of my head that can take the whole core is Freeze Dry Mamoswine. So something to deal with that is another good team option. Sub Chandy can be a problem but its extremely rare.

Last edited:
Low ladder replays dont really show off cores. prob better to remove it. Other then that i like the core. Somthing you might wanna change is change celis spread to be more defensive with leftovers and run recover, giga drain, baton pass, substitute/heal bell. Life orb set is kinda weird on that core but it could be just me. I feel like a more defensive set would be better.

Here is a nice core I have been using to very good success -

Basically, special wallbreaker Mega Altaria is great for dealing with the checks and counters to Ttar+Exca sand offence such as fighting types with mach punch, Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, Mega Sableye, and Landorus-T, along with several others I haven't listed. Altaria can wallbreaker early game to weaken/KO the counters to sand offense so Exca can just tear through teams late game. This core pairs very well with bulky waters such as Slowbro and Suicune, Celebi and Clefable also work very well with it to counter Mega Slowbro and to pass either wishes (Clefable) or nasty plot boosts to altaria (Celebi) as well as being great walls.

Sets
Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Fire Blast
- Pursuit/Crunch
- Ice Beam
(An alternative, more specially defensive spread of
248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD with a sassy nature can be used as well.)

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin/Swords Dance

Calcs
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 512-606 (196.1 - 232.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 240-284 (68.3 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 328-388 (93.1 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 360-428 (104.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Also, 84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Altaria: 182-216 (62.5 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 372-440 (115.1 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 302-356 (99.3 - 117.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 160-190 (52.8 - 62.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 204-241 (63.9 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 204-240 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0- Atk Mega Altaria Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 268-316 (69.6 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
This is my 1st time posting a core in this thread so any constructive criticism or advice is much appreciated.

This a F/W/G core that I have been using in OU lately to great success, featuring Reckless Emboar as one of the stars.
I watched your replay and in my opinion the core of your team is scizor/latias/togekiss(or any fairy) and meanwhile your celebi and emboar are more like accessories. Emboar could have been a heatran or an entei and the fight would have played the same way. I think the real credit goes to latias for utility and covering scizors weakness, togekiss for bulk and utility, and scizor for walling so many things. Between those 3 you have a resistance to every type except ghost.

I watched your replay and in my opinion the core of your team is scizor/latias/togekiss(or any fairy) and meanwhile your celebi and emboar are more like accessories. Emboar could have been a heatran or an entei and the fight would have played the same way. I think the real credit goes to latias for utility and covering scizors weakness, togekiss for bulk and utility, and scizor for walling so many things. Between those 3 you have a resistance to every type except ghost.
That replay I'll admit didn't really show off the core but it was the only replay I found someone else save that was half decent. I removed it anyway because it was low ladder.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Back with some new cores, hope you enjoy!

Volcarona + Azumarill

Volcarona @ Passho Berry / Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower / Knock Off / Power-Up Punch

Many teams have few answers after Volcarona sets up a single Quiver Dance. Passho Berry prevents Aqua Jet from ruining a sweep or allows you to set up on a water type, many of which you can KO with +1 Giga Drain without much prior damage. Lum Berry is to avoid being paralyzed by something such as Prankster Thundurus. Unfortunately, other fire types (i.e. Heatran, Charizard) wall Volcarona, some dragon types such as Dragonite are hard stops to a sweep and Chansey is impenetrable.

That’s where Azumarill comes in: not many things are better at beating both fire types and dragon types. Assault Vest is for longevity, since Azumarill is already good against Volcarona’s checks the immediate power of Choice Band is not necessary. Power-Up Punch is a great 4th moveslot if you do want additional wallbreaking power which I’ve found to be particularly useful and often surprises opponents. Superpower and Knock Off both still deal with Chansey and there’s a reason they are the standard moves listed on the AV set, so they are good options as well.

Talonflame puts a full stop to any Volcarona sweep regardless of how healthy it is. Pack a way to deal with it and a Stealth Rock setter. Hazard removal is necessary for Volcarona, so Latias makes a great partner as it can also Healing Wish either member of this core if necessary. Other powerful physical attackers make nice teammates since they can help facilitate a Volcarona sweep.

Note: Volcarona's EV spread allows it to switch into Stealth Rocks 2x without being ko'd and to outspeed Jolly max speed Choice Scarf Landorus-T after a Quiver Dance

Mega Gardevoir + Diggersby

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace -> Pixilate
EVs: 232 SpA / 252 Spe / 24 Def
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Diggersby @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return/Frustration
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

This is a basic wallbreaker core which comprises a special and a physical wallbreaker. Gardevoir smashes almost anything that doesn’t resist its moves, but doesn’t like dealing with bulky steel types like Jirachi or Mega Scizor. Diggersby pounds on steel types with Earthquake and after a Swords Dance has very few switch ins even among physical walls. Taunt provides nice utility on Gardevoir and acts as a great buffer for Calm Mind sweepers such as Mega Slowbro.

Since it is a wallbreaker core, fast sweepers that thrive when bulky pokemon are weakened or eliminated make great partners (i.e. Talonflame). A faster pokemon is also nice just to deal with offensive teams since neither Gardevoir or Diggersby is particularly fast on its own. Gengar is particularly threatening since it walls Diggersby and can outspeed and KO Gardevoir, so definitely have a pokemon that can handle Gengar if you use this core.

Note: Gardevoir's EV spread is to always avoid a 2HKO from Life Orb Latios' Psyshock making it a reliable switch-in, with the rest for offensive purposes. Modest nature for max damage

------------------------------------------------------------------
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

I am more of an offensive player (although I enjoy balance) but I hope to add a balance or defensive core next time since they are severely outnumbered by offensive cores.

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Speaking of the really good Mega Garde atm...

+

Mega Gardevoir and Pursuit Bisharp, when combined, beat almost all of the common ORAS stall cores floating around, including those involving Mega Sableye or Altaria. The only form of stall the core alone doesn't beat is the very rare Scizor stall. The only real counter to Gardevoir that is common on stall teams is Jirachi. Jirachi, however, is most often handled by Bisharp's pursuit trapping; and that trapkill can allow taunt Mega Gardevoir to have its way with common stall. Bisharp is better than other pursuit trappers as well, since most Bisharp checks (fighting and dark types) are well covered by Gardevoir, so a defiant boosted Bisharp can sweep teams pretty quickly with those checks out of the way. That is also a free switch in for Mega Gardevoir against some of the metagame's more balanced builds, much of which hate giving Gardevoir free turns. This core's main function against most teams however is the versatility it allows for the rest of your team. Its amazing to have an HO core that decimates most stall so easily and consistently, which allows you to run slots dedicated to beating common playstyles. Things like DD Lum Gyarados and SubCM Keldeo love this core's ability to take down common stall builds, giving them opportunities to shine on teams where their lack of contribution vs. stall may cost them a teamslot. They are generally very good partners for this core, since they also check Mega Scizor which is always problematic for the core. The core is also very effective vs. a lot of balance teams, as most of them hate giving Garde free turns since most of their switch-ins are shaky at best. The wallbreaking abilities of Gardevoir alone allow you to dismantle the cores of balanced builds, and Bisharp often sweeps in its wake. This is a powerful wallbreaking and stallbreaking core.

Feel free to change sets. Garde's Defense Evs allow it to live the 2hko from LO latios' Psyshock, while Bisharp's 52 SDef Evs allow it to live a Latios HP Fire Will-o-miss hurts gardevoir's stallbreaking capabilities, making Heatran and Chansey tougher matchups, but allow you to have something of an answer to Metagross' thinking they have a free switch in and possibly a setup turn. Most of the teams you would put together with this core wouldn't give MMeta free turns, but Garde can if it doesn't run wisp, and that could cost you a game. Mega Diancie is also slightly problematic, as with some chip damage it can KO both mons with Diamond Storm and Earth Power, respectively.
Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Bisharp (F) @ Blackglasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Speaking of the really good Mega Garde atm...

+

Mega Gardevoir and Pursuit Bisharp, when combined, beat almost all of the common ORAS stall cores floating around, including those involving Mega Sableye or Altaria. The only form of stall the core alone doesn't beat is the very rare Scizor stall. The only real counter to Gardevoir that is common on stall teams is Jirachi. Jirachi, however, is most often handled by Bisharp's pursuit trapping; and that trapkill can allow taunt Mega Gardevoir to have its way with common stall. Bisharp is better than other pursuit trappers as well, since most Bisharp checks (fighting and dark types) are well covered by Gardevoir, so a defiant boosted Bisharp can sweep teams pretty quickly with those checks out of the way. That is also a free switch in for Mega Gardevoir against some of the metagame's more balanced builds, much of which hate giving Gardevoir free turns. This core's main function against most teams however is the versatility it allows for the rest of your team. Its amazing to have an HO core that decimates most stall so easily and consistently, which allows you to run slots dedicated to beating common playstyles. Things like DD Lum Gyarados and SubCM Keldeo love this core's ability to take down common stall builds, giving them opportunities to shine on teams where their lack of contribution vs. stall may cost them a teamslot. The core is also very effective vs. a lot of balance teams, as most of them hate giving Garde free turns since most of their switch-ins are shaky at best. The wallbreaking abilities of Gardevoir alone allow you to dismantle the cores of balanced builds, and Bisharp often sweeps in its wake. This is a powerful wallbreaking and stallbreaking core.

Advice is welcome on the sets. Will-o-miss hurts gardevoir's stallbreaking capabilities, making Heatran and Chansey tougher matchups, but allow you to have something of an answer to Metagross' thinking they have a free switch in and possibly a setup turn. Most of the teams you would put together with this core wouldn't give MMeta free turns, but Garde can if it doesn't run wisp, and that could cost you a game.
Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Bisharp (F) @ Blackglasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
Looks solid, although I'd definitely mention somewhere that this core struggles with mega scizor in general, not because stall uses it but because it's commonly used on balance and offense to check these two pokemon. Gyara and Keldeo are solid checks, so just mention it in the part where you talk about how they appreciate this cores wallbreaking ability.

Mega Diancie may also be problematic for the core, as while it obviously can't switch in, it only needs a little bit of chip damage to KO Garde with Diamond Storm and Bish with earth power.

Maybe mention the explanation for the EV spreads to help out newer players (24 def avoids 2hko from Latios Psyshock, 56 SpDef on bish avoids OHKO from Latios hp fire after rocks; just in case you didn't know)

I have quite a bit of experience with Garde-sharp back in XY when it was really popular - great core. I'm sure it will gain that back if mega gross leaves, surprised no one posted this core lol.

Might not be able to update the op as I'll be away from home for this week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)