Metang

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus

QC: TONE114 / Magnemite / GrimoireGod
GP: Mr. Uncompetitive + Winry / The Dutch Plumberjack

[OVERVIEW]

Metang's Steel typing gives it a resistance to Stealth Rock and allows it to check Normal- and Flying-types. It has solid bulk combined with Eviolite, can function as a bulky pivot by virtue of its access to Stealth Rock, and has Meteor Mash to boost its average base Attack stat. Its Psychic typing gives it a neutrality to Fighting-type attacks, but it also gives Metang a weakness to Knock Off, which can be detrimental given that Metang relies on its Eviolite for bulk and is easily worn down without it. However, it lacks access to any recovery moves outside of Rest, has weaknesses to common Fire-, Ground-, and Ghost-type attacks, and faces competition from other Stealth Rock users. such as Piloswine, Probopass, and Torterra.

[SET]
name: Offensive Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Meteor Mash
move 3: Earthquake / Bullet Punch
move 4: Toxic
item: Eviolite
ability: Clear Body
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock is the staple for Metang's team and is important for residual damage and breaking through Sturdy and Focus Sash users. Meteor Mash is Metang's strongest Steel-type move and has a chance to boost its attack by 1 stage, although it is somewhat unreliable. Earthquake hits common Steel-types that wall Metang, such as Probopass and Pawniard. Bullet Punch could be used for priority to pick off weakened Pokemon, such as a weakened Kadabra. Toxic puts a timer on physically defensive walls that Metang can't touch, such as Tangela, Torterra, and Poliwrath. Pursuit could be used in the last slot over Toxic to check Grumpig and other offensive Pokemon that can freely switch into Metang.

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def and an Adamant Nature allow Metang to inflict as much damage as possible and have a sizable amount of bulk, especially when combined with an Eviolite. Clear Body is Metang's only relevant ability, preventing Intimidate users such as Luxray and Arbok from lowering Metang's Attack stat.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Metang in on attacks it resists or is immune to and proceed to set up Stealth Rock or cripple the foe with Toxic. Toxic should be primarily be used on physically defensive walls such as Tangela, Quilladin, and Misdreavus. Metang needs to be as healthy as possible in order to check an opposing threat. Metang is a good switch-in to Roselia and can force it out to stop it from setting up Spikes. Metang should switch into a Pokemon that has low offensive presence and is unable to touch it, such as Tangela or Lickilicky, although it has to be wary of Lickilicky's Knock Off. As Metang is a bulky pivot, it should set up Stealth Rock and damage the Pokemon you switch it into as much as possible. Look out for Pokemon with coverage moves that can harm Metang, such as Dodrio and Leafeon, which carry Knock Off, as Metang isn't a fully safe switch-in to them.

Team Options
========

Spinblockers, such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist, can help to keep Stealth Rock on the battlefield, as Rapid Spin users such as Armaldo and Avalugg may remove Metang's Stealth Rocks with ease. Flying-types or Pokemon with Levitate such as Rotom-F, Misdreavus, and Pelipper can switch into Ground-type attacks that target Metang. Pokemon with Defiant, such as Pawniard and Purugly, can switch into a predicted Defog and use it to their advantage. Setup sweepers, such as Carracosta and Ninetales, appreciate entry hazard support and can break through Sturdy in order to successfully sweep. Wish passers such as Lickilicky and Hypno appreciate the entry hazard support from Metang and are able to heal Metang. Spikers, such as Roselia and Quilladin, can be used in conjunction with Metang's Stealth Rock for entry hazard stacking. Water-types, such as Simipour and Poliwrath, have nice synergy with Metang, as they resist Fire-type attacks for Metang. Poliwrath in particular resists Knock Off for Metang, while Metang resists Fighting-, Fairy-, Grass- and Fairy-type moves for Poliwrath.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Zen Headbutt could be used in the third or fourth moveslot to hit Fighting-types super effectively; it is guaranteed to 3HKO defensive Poliwrath and 2HKO Machoke, but Metang would miss out on covering Steel-types with Earthquake or picking off weakened Pokemon with Bullet Punch. Rock Slide could be used instead of Earthquake to cover Flying-types; for example, it 2HKOes Jumpluff, Swanna, and Drifblim and OHKOs Ninjask, but then Metang gets hard walled by Steel-types. Explosion could be used instead of Toxic or Bullet Punch in order to deal massive damage to the opposing target, but Golem is a better user of Explosion, as it can abuse Sturdy and Custap Berry, and then Metang misses out on priority or putting a timer on the opponent's wall. An EV spread of 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def combined with an Impish nature helps Metang better handle Normal- and Flying types, while a specially defensive spread of 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature helps Metang handle Psychic-types and special attackers better. Grass Knot combined with 4 Special Attack EVs and a Speed-decreasing nature 2HKOes Shell Smash users such as Carracosta and Barbaracle. Rest helps recover HP, which is helpful because Metang gets worn down too easily, but it is unreliable.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Spinners and Defoggers**: Bulky Pokemon with Defog or Rapid Spin, such as Pelipper and Swanna, can easily remove Stealth Rock and take minimal damage from non-Rock Slide variants of Metang. However, they have to watch out for Toxic.

**Knock Off Users**: Pokemon with Knock Off, such as Pawniard, are able to remove Metang's Eviolite and Pursuit trap it, making it less bulky and easier to KO.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types, such as Gourgeist and Misdreavus, are able burn Metang with Will-O-Wisp, while the latter is also able to Taunt it, preventing it from setting up Stealth Rock.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash can outspeed and KO Metang with their super effective Fire-type moves. However, they have to watch out for Earthquake.

**Burns**: Metang fears a burn, which halves its Attack stat and prevents it from doing anything besides setting up Stealth Rock.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Golem and Torterra can weaken Metang with their super effective Ground-type STAB attacks. However, they have to watch out for Toxic.

**Setup Sweepers**: Metang can become setup fodder for dangerous sweepers such as Carracosta and Torterra if it cannot KO them and they set up early in the match.

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not QC, but I'll give some tips.

Overview
########

• Mention that Metang faces competition from other Steel- and Psychic-types.
  • Also make clear of what Metang's niche is (ex: why would I wanna use Metang over something like Probopass which does the same thing plus has momentum in Volt Switch and Magnet Pull.)
  • Mention what Metang's typing does for it (Ex: Typing allows it to check Normal-, Flying-, and Psychic-types.)
  • Remove the Stealth Rock lead part.

Moves
========

• Mention that Meteor Mash is Metang's strongest move and gives examples of what they hit.
  • Mention that Bullet Punch can pick off weakened foes.
  • Also, Metang isn't a suicide lead, it's a bulky hazard setter.
  • Make a mention that Bullet Punch picks off weakened foes as well.

Set Details
========

• There's no need to include speed creeping in the analysis. If anything, the spread should be 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD Adamant nature.

Usage Tips
========

• Mention to switch Metang in on resisted or attacks that Metang is immune to thanks to its typing and then either proceed to get up Stealth Rock or use Toxic.
  • Mention that you can use double switches to get more favorable matchup if you predict a Pokemon that can handle Metang's attacks.
  • Also mention to keep Metang as healthy as possible in the case that you need Metang to check a threat.

Team Options
========
  • Mention Pokemon that can cover Metang's weaknesses (ex: Poliwrath resists Fire and can act as a Knock Off absorber for Metang while also handling Ground-types while Metang resists Flying, Psychic, Grass, and Fairy for Poliwrath.)
  • Instead of saying Taunt users, mention Defiant users such as Pawniard and Purugly who can take advantage of foes using Defog.
  • Also add examples of set up sweepers and wallbreakers who appreciate Metang's Stealth Rock support.

Other Options
########

• There's no need for you to include calcs in the analysis as well. Just mention what the moves in general would do for Metang.
  • Combine the points you made about Rock Slide and Explosion. No need to make them seperate.
  • Make a mention of alternate spreads and what they do for it. For example, a physically defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def with an Impish nature allows Metang to better handle Normal- and Flying types while a specially defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature can better handle Psychics.

Checks & Counters
########

• Remove the last part about entry hazard removal. Like I said before, Metang is a bulky hazard setter, not a suicide lead.
rubsomebacononit

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Not QC, but I'll give some tips.

Overview
########

• Mention that Metang faces competition from other Steel- and Psychic-types.
  • Also make clear of what Metang's niche is (ex: why would I wanna use Metang over something like Probopass which does the same thing plus has momentum in Volt Switch and Magnet Pull.)
  • Mention what Metang's typing does for it (Ex: Typing allows it to check Normal-, Flying-, and Psychic-types.)
  • Remove the Stealth Rock lead part.

Moves
========

• Mention that Meteor Mash is Metang's strongest move and gives examples of what they hit.
  • Mention that Bullet Punch can pick off weakened foes.
  • Also, Metang isn't a suicide lead, it's a bulky hazard setter.
  • Make a mention that Bullet Punch picks off weakened foes as well.

Set Details
========

• There's no need to include speed creeping in the analysis. If anything, the spread should be 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD Adamant nature.

Usage Tips
========

• Mention to switch Metang in on resisted or attacks that Metang is immune to thanks to its typing and then either proceed to get up Stealth Rock or use Toxic.
  • Mention that you can use double switches to get more favorable matchup if you predict a Pokemon that can handle Metang's attacks.
  • Also mention to keep Metang as healthy as possible in the case that you need Metang to check a threat.

Team Options
========
  • Mention Pokemon that can cover Metang's weaknesses (ex: Poliwrath resists Fire and can act as a Knock Off absorber for Metang while also handling Ground-types while Metang resists Flying, Psychic, Grass, and Fairy for Poliwrath.)
  • Instead of saying Taunt users, mention Defiant users such as Pawniard and Purugly who can take advantage of foes using Defog.
  • Also add examples of set up sweepers and wallbreakers who appreciate Metang's Stealth Rock support.

Other Options
########

• There's no need for you to include calcs in the analysis as well. Just mention what the moves in general would do for Metang.
  • Combine the points you made about Rock Slide and Explosion. No need to make them seperate.
  • Make a mention of alternate spreads and what they do for it. For example, a physically defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def with an Impish nature allows Metang to better handle Normal- and Flying types while a specially defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature can better handle Psychics.

Checks & Counters
########

• Remove the last part about entry hazard removal. Like I said before, Metang is a bulky hazard setter, not a suicide lead.
rubsomebacononit
implemented tone114's check, ready for qc

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Obligatory not qc so you don't have to take this as law mention, but I did use it a lot and got it bumped up on VB so I kinda want to chime in here

Overview should be in bullet points. Meteor mash and clear body don't really need mention because they aren't huge plusses, it's more like "solid bulk and access to SR with decent offensive presence" and things along that line. You can also expand on the points, they seem pretty basic to me, although that's more for people who are part of the QC team to decide.

Set details says 248 hp 8 spdef, the set says 252 hp 4 spdef, so change the set.

In usage tips, I'd note how metang is a good switchin to roselia and can force it out and stop it from spiking. the most important thing for it to do is set up rocks, and after that you're trying to hit the offensive mons you switch into as much as possible. I'd also note to look out for pokemon whose STABs are walled but commonly carry knock off like leafeon and dodrio, as you aren't a 100% reliable switchin to them.

In team options, don't list dusclops as a spin blocker, it's not really relevant. gourgeist and haunter and dusknoir are all far better. I'd give some examples of wall breakers and mention defiant users, and remove the rapid spinners section as metang isn't overly worried about hazards (it's not like the first thing you think of, having a knock off switchin is much more relevant than removing spikes, which is the only hazard that damages it). It also doesn't really fit on volt/turn as it's a momentum suck as opposed to a hyper offense lead like monferno, so that doesn't really belong there. I'd expand upon pokemon to cover metang's weaknesses and give specific examples, such as poliwrath to check fire types and knock off users. The whole TO section is really vague and isn't expanded on much

Grass knot (along with 4 special attack and a -speed nature) can lure costa/barbaracle who want to smash on it and 2hko while they cant ohko back, some auth that I don't remember said it's good so yeah. Maybe sleep talk because fuck jumpluff, QC members can decide that

In checks and counters remove mention of dusclops, especially since the only good dusclops set is croclops which doesn't even carry wisp. Gourgeist can go there instead. Status should be changed to burn, as it's the main status metang fears, being immune to poison and not overly bothered by paralysis, and everything hates sleep really, it just makes more sense. Mention swanna in C&C because it takes zero from non ZH variants, defogs hazards and can do a lot with scald. this section can probably also be expanded upon, in general the analysis just feels short. still, I like metang and the points seem good. Once again, obligatory mention that I'm not QC and cant dictate what you put.

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Obligatory not qc so you don't have to take this as law mention, but I did use it a lot and got it bumped up on VB so I kinda want to chime in here

Overview should be in bullet points. Meteor mash and clear body don't really need mention because they aren't huge plusses, it's more like "solid bulk and access to SR with decent offensive presence" and things along that line. You can also expand on the points, they seem pretty basic to me, although that's more for people who are part of the QC team to decide.

Set details says 248 hp 8 spdef, the set says 252 hp 4 spdef, so change the set.

In usage tips, I'd note how metang is a good switchin to roselia and can force it out and stop it from spiking. the most important thing for it to do is set up rocks, and after that you're trying to hit the offensive mons you switch into as much as possible. I'd also note to look out for pokemon whose STABs are walled but commonly carry knock off like leafeon and dodrio, as you aren't a 100% reliable switchin to them.

In team options, don't list dusclops as a spin blocker, it's not really relevant. gourgeist and haunter and dusknoir are all far better. I'd give some examples of wall breakers and mention defiant users, and remove the rapid spinners section as metang isn't overly worried about hazards (it's not like the first thing you think of, having a knock off switchin is much more relevant than removing spikes, which is the only hazard that damages it). It also doesn't really fit on volt/turn as it's a momentum suck as opposed to a hyper offense lead like monferno, so that doesn't really belong there. I'd expand upon pokemon to cover metang's weaknesses and give specific examples, such as poliwrath to check fire types and knock off users. The whole TO section is really vague and isn't expanded on much

Grass knot (along with 4 special attack and a -speed nature) can lure costa/barbaracle who want to smash on it and 2hko while they cant ohko back, some auth that I don't remember said it's good so yeah. Maybe sleep talk because fuck jumpluff, QC members can decide that

In checks and counters remove mention of dusclops, especially since the only good dusclops set is croclops which doesn't even carry wisp. Gourgeist can go there instead. Status should be changed to burn, as it's the main status metang fears, being immune to poison and not overly bothered by paralysis, and everything hates sleep really, it just makes more sense. Mention swanna in C&C because it takes zero from non ZH variants, defogs hazards and can do a lot with scald. this section can probably also be expanded upon, in general the analysis just feels short. still, I like metang and the points seem good. Once again, obligatory mention that I'm not QC and cant dictate what you put.
ye ok ty

edit: implemented

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The overview needs some work, as from reading over all you have are things a new player would already know. Firstly, it doesnt have knock off, secondly it isnt worth mentioning any move there outside from possibly stealth rocks, and clear body is pretty irrelevant to mention too. You can also expand upon certain points, for example:
'Faces competition from other Steel and Psychic-types'
What psychic/steel types? What is its niche

It isnt a lead so the set should just be something like 'Offensive Stealth Rocks'
Earthquake should be slashed with BP, as toxic is required to not be set up fodder for multiple things which is too important not to have

I would remove sleep talk in oo as metang hasnt got the moveslot especially when its meant for a poke you beat anyway. Add rest there as well (w/o sleep talk as it doesnt have the moveslot), as a huge problem with metang is how it gets warn down too easily

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
The overview needs some work, as from reading over all you have are things a new player would already know. Firstly, it doesnt have knock off, secondly it isnt worth mentioning any move there outside from possibly stealth rocks, and clear body is pretty irrelevant to mention too. You can also expand upon certain points, for example:
'Faces competition from other Steel and Psychic-types'
What psychic/steel types? What is its niche

It isnt a lead so the set should just be something like 'Offensive Stealth Rocks'
Earthquake should be slashed with BP, as toxic is required to not be set up fodder for multiple things which is too important not to have

I would remove sleep talk in oo as metang hasnt got the moveslot especially when its meant for a poke you beat anyway. Add rest there as well (w/o sleep talk as it doesnt have the moveslot), as a huge problem with metang is how it gets warn down too easily
my bad about the knock off part, that was by accident u_u will implement

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
- We technically don't need to know it's weaknesses, as you'll go over it in C&C.

update with new analysis format please

There's no reason to have 248 HP EVs, Metang takes minimal damage from Rocks regardless. Either max it or run Speed EVs. I actually think 88 Speed EVs to outpace uninvested base 60's, such as Tangela and Vullaby, may be worthwhile to at least Toxic or Stealth Rock on them before they Sleep Powder or Taunt you. QC can pitch thoughts on that though.

The Usage Tips are pretty generic, especially the first 3. State what you want to keep Metang around for. I would also not mention double switching unless you: a) can give a common example of a situation where that would help, b) explain when you double switch and into what, or c) explain how this is specifically relevant to Metang when every Pokemon can and should do the same thing (otherwise making it pointless to note). THe first point is also pointless, you should note WHAT Metang can switch into.

Spinners and Defoggers should be much higher, if not first, in C&C. Burns should be a lot lower, in the middle perhaps. You are missing Taunt users as well, which should be pretty high up. Order should be: Spinners/Defog, Taunt, Knock Off, Ghost-types, Fire-types, Burns, Ground-types, and finally set-up sweepers.

rubsomebacononit tag me when you do this

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
- We technically don't need to know it's weaknesses, as you'll go over it in C&C.

update with new analysis format please

There's no reason to have 248 HP EVs, Metang takes minimal damage from Rocks regardless. Either max it or run Speed EVs. I actually think 88 Speed EVs to outpace uninvested base 60's, such as Tangela and Vullaby, may be worthwhile to at least Toxic or Stealth Rock on them before they Sleep Powder or Taunt you. QC can pitch thoughts on that though.

The Usage Tips are pretty generic, especially the first 3. State what you want to keep Metang around for. I would also not mention double switching unless you: a) can give a common example of a situation where that would help, b) explain when you double switch and into what, or c) explain how this is specifically relevant to Metang when every Pokemon can and should do the same thing (otherwise making it pointless to note). THe first point is also pointless, you should note WHAT Metang can switch into.

Spinners and Defoggers should be much higher, if not first, in C&C. Burns should be a lot lower, in the middle perhaps. You are missing Taunt users as well, which should be pretty high up. Order should be: Spinners/Defog, Taunt, Knock Off, Ghost-types, Fire-types, Burns, Ground-types, and finally set-up sweepers.

rubsomebacononit tag me when you do this
ok whitedmist

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
This needs to be expanded more eg 'Faces competition from other Steel and Psychic-types' - what ones and why use it over them? Other stuff here is irrelevant like 'taunt bait' as the set is offensive stealth rocks

set:
The speed isnt worth it as tangela and vullagby wall metang anyway - i dont think it should run speed at all since the next bench marks (gourg and torterra) beat you anyway and its sorta speed creeping - max attack max hp sounds the best

Sort out the formatting for moves bc it looks weird
When talking about eq and toxic you need to give examples of what it hits

For set details, update the stuff with the new spread, also when talk about clear body just mention that it is the most relevant ability

UT: give examples of pokes that metang can switch into. The third point is also the same as this pretty much

TO: Give examples of flying types
I dont see why wallbreakers make good team mates with metang (similar with set up sweepers) - i guess you can just say offensive pokemon that appreciate hazard support
Wishpassers deserve a mention, and you should also mention what type of team metang belongs in

oo: When talking about zhb dont say over metoer mash but the 3rd/4th slot instead

c&c: remove taunt as a poke with 252+ investment in attack isnt taunt bait

rubsomebacononit implement this and tag me

I think that pursuit deserves to be in moves since it lets you chunk Grumpig ad well as random offensive Pokemon and is especially useful since many teams have a free switch into metang regardless

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
I think that pursuit deserves to be in moves since it lets you chunk Grumpig ad well as random offensive Pokemon and is especially useful since many teams have a free switch into metang regardless
ok i did that

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In Usage Tips, mention that Toxic should be used against bulkier foes that Metang has trouble getting past and give examples. In Team Options, mention spikes users that can apply added pressure on the opponent in conjunction with Metang's Stealth Rock support (Roselia, Quilladin). It doesn't really need Rapid Spin support as it isn't hampered much by Stealth Rock and is immune to Toxic Spikes, so remove that part. Also remove the mention of Leafeon from Wish support(it isn't bad per se, but it would give a double Fire weakness). Also mention Pokemon who appreciates Metang's ability to check Normal- and Flying-types. Mention Water-types as well as they aid Metang in taking out Fire- and Ground-types. Tag me when you implement this and I'll stamp.

TONE

Remove the Whirlipede mention as Whirlipede and Metang fit on different teams.

1/3.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In overview mention that being a Steel-type not weak to Fighting is one of the main reasons why you'd use this.

In UT don't say switch it in against Gourgeist because Gourgeist beats it with Wisp / Foul Play or even SubSeed.

In C&C also say Pawniard can Pursuit trap it. Also remove the last line in the analysis about Toxic and Bullet Punch vs sweepers because if you don't want to be complete setup fodder and don't have a counter the best play would most likely just to Meteor Mash it and try to revenge kill it with the added damage.

3/3

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
In overview mention that being a Steel-type not weak to Fighting is one of the main reasons why you'd use this.

In UT don't say switch it in against Gourgeist because Gourgeist beats it with Wisp / Foul Play or even SubSeed.

In C&C also say Pawniard can Pursuit trap it. Also remove the last line in the analysis about Toxic and Bullet Punch vs sweepers because if you don't want to be complete setup fodder and don't have a counter the best play would most likely just to Meteor Mash it and try to revenge kill it with the added damage.

3/3
thx. ready for gp!

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
ugh damnit I was almost done amchecking this too. Ah well, what can ya do. (Need to get faster at these I suppose, considering I started this check yesterday o3o)

Queez if you're willing to go over this unfinished thing to make things a bit easier (and so my practice doesn't go to waste ;) ) feel free to

Additions
Removals
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

Metang is one of the only Steel-types in the PU tier, giving it a resistance to Stealth Rock and allowing it to check Normal- and Flying-types. It has solid bulk combined with Eviolite and Stealth Rock, allowing it to function as a bulky pivot, and Meteor Mash to boost its average base attack stat. Its Part Psychic-typing gives it a neutrality to Fighting-type attacks, but it also gives it a weakness to Knock Off, and since Metang relies on its Eviolite for bulk, it is easily worn down. This combined with a lack of recovery moves outside of Rest, weaknesses to common Fire-, Ground- and Ghost-type attacks, and competition from other Stealth Rock users, (AC) such as Piloswine, Probopass, and Torterra, (AC) and you'll see that Metang isn't without its flaws. However, if you look past these flaws, Metang is a reliable Stealth Rock pivot that can switch into Normal- and Flying-type attacks for its team.

[SET]
move 3: Earthquake/Bullet Punch

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock is the staple for Metang's team and is important for residual damage and breaking through Sturdy and Focus Sash users. Meteor Dash is Metang's strongest Steel-type move, which has a chance to boost its attack by 1 stage, although it was unreliable. Earthquake is used in the third slot to cover common Steel-types walling that wall Metang, such as Probopass and Pawniard. Bullet Punch could be used for priority to pick off weakened Pokemon, such as a weakened Kadabra. Toxic puts a timer on physically defensive walls that Metang can't touch, such as Tangela, Torterra and Poliwrath. Pursuit could be used in the last slot over Toxic to check Grumpig and other offensive Pokemon that have a free switch into Metang.

Set Details
========

A 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def EV spread and an Adamant Nature allows Metang to inflict max damage to the target and give it as much bulk as possible as much damage as possible and have a sizable amount of bulk, especially when combined with an Eviolite. The other 4 EVs are invested in defense for more bulk, which combined with Eviolite adds to Metang's high bulk. (condensing this and avoiding some repetition) Clear Body, (AC) is Metang's only relevant ability, (AC) and prevents Intimidate users, (AC) such as Luxray and Arbok, (AC) from lowering Metang's attack Attack stat.

Usage Tips
========

Switch in Metang on resisted or attacks Metang attacks it is resistant or is immune to and proceed to set up Stealth Rock or cripple the opponent with Toxic. Toxic should be used on physically defensive walls such as Tangela, Quilladin, (AC) and Misdreavus. You should keep Metang needs to be as healthy as possible if you need Metang in order to check a opposing threat. Metang is a good switch-in (add hyphen) to Roselia and can force it out and to stop it from spiking. Metang should switch into a Pokemon with that has low offensive presence and is unable to touch it, such as Tangela or Lickilicky, although it has to be wary of Lickilicky's Knock Off. As Metang is a bulky pivot, it should set up rocks and hit the Pokemon you switch into as much as possible. Look out for Pokemon with coverage moves such as Dodrio and Leafeon, who carry Knock Off, as you aren't a fully safe switch-in (add hyphen) to them.

Team Options========

Spinblockers, (AC) such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist, (AC) can help to keep Stealth Rock on the battlefield, as Rapid Spinners, (AC) such as Armaldo and Avalugg, (AC) may remove Metang's rocks with ease and has no means of reliable recovery. Metang can switch into Flying-types or Pokemon with Levitate such as Rotom-F, Misdreavus, and Pelipper to predict an can switch into Earthquake Ground-type attacks that target Metang. Pokemon with Defiant, (AC) such as Pawniard and Purugly, (AC) can switch in to into a predicted Defog and use it to its their advantage. Setup sweepers, (AC) such as Carracosta and Ninetales, (AC) appreciate hazard support and can break through Sturdy in order to successfully sweep. Wishpassers Wish users, (AC) such as Lickilicky and Hypno, (AC) appreciate the hazard support from Metang and are able to heal Metang with Wish. Spikers, (AC) such as Roselia and Quilladin, (AC) can be used in conjunction with Metang's Stealth Rock for hazard support stacking. Water-types: Water-types, (AC) such as Simipour and Poliwrath, (AC) have nice synergy, especially Poliwrath, which resists as they resist Fire-type attacks and Knock Off for Metang, (RC) while Metang resists Fighting-, Fairy-, Grass- and Fairy-types for Poliwrath the partner. Poliwrath is especially good, as it also resists Knock Off while Metang also resists Fighting- and Fairy-type moves for Poliwrath. (kinda awkwardly written. Feel free to rewrite the last sentence, but I feel like it'll feel less awkward if Poliwrath is mentioned in another sentence)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Zen Headbutt could be for the 3rd or 4th moveslot to hit Fighting-types super effectively, which guarantees a 3HKO on Defensive Poliwrath and a 2HKO on Machoke, but you Metang would miss out on covering Steel-types with Earthquake or picking out off weakened Pokemon with Bullet Punch. Rock Slide could be used instead of Earthquake to cover Flying-types. which 2HKOes Jumpluff, Swanna, and Drifblim and OHKOes a Ninjask, but you get hard walled by Steel-types. Explosion could be used instead of Toxic or Bullet Punch in order to deal massive damage to the opposing target, but Golem is a better user of Explosion as it can abuse Sturdy and Custap Berry, and you miss out on priority or putting a timer on the opponent's wall. A spread of 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def combined with an Impish nature helps Metang to better handle Normal- and Flying types while a specially defensive spread of 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature helps to handle Psychic-types and Special attackers harder. Grass Knot combined with 4 SpA and a -Speed Nature 2HKOes Shell Smash users such as Carracosta and Barbaracle. Rest helps to recover HP as Metang gets worn down too easily but is unreliable.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Spinners and Defogers**: Bulky Pokemon with Defog or Rapid Spin, (AC) such as Pelipper and Swanna, (AC) can easily remove Metang's rocks Stealth Rock, (RC) and take minimal damage from non Rock Slide variants of Metang, (RC) . (add period) However, they have to watch out for Toxic.

**Knock Off users**: Pokemon with Knock Off, (AC) such as Pawniard, (AC) are able to knock off Metang's Eviolite and Pursuit trap it, making it less bulky and easier to KO.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types, (AC) such as Gourgeist and Misdreavus, (AC) are able to Will-O-Wisp Metang, the latter being able to Taunt it, preventing it from setting up rocks.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash can outspeed and can KO Metang with their super effective Fire-type moves. However, they have to watch out for Earthquake.

**Burns**: Metang fears burns, which cripples its attack Attack stat and can't do prevent it from doing anything besides setting up rocks Stealth Rock.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Golem and Torterra can weaken Metang with their super effective Ground STAB attacks due to its Steel-typing. However, they have to watch out for Toxic.

**Setup Sweepers**: Metang can become setup fodder for dangerous sweepers such as Carracosta and Torterra if it cannot KO them if and they set up early in the match.

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah no worries, I'll put your check in mine & use different colors

edit: lol nevermind my massive headache escalated and I really need to sleep. my pal winry is gonna do this for ya

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mr Uncompetitive: Additions Removals Comments
Winry: Add/Correct Remove Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Metang's Steel typing gives is one of the only Steel-types in the PU tier, giving it a resistance to Stealth Rock and allows allowing it to check Normal- and Flying-types. Its Psychic typing gives it a neutrality to Fighting-type attacks, but it also gives Metang a weakness to Knock Off, which can be detrimental given that Metang relies on Eviolite for bulk and is easily worn down without it. It has solid bulk combined with Eviolite and Stealth Rock, allowing it to function as a bulky pivot, and access to Meteor Mash to boost its average base Attack [capitalize stats] stat. Its Part Psychic-typing gives it a neutrality to Fighting-type attacks, but it also gives it a weakness to Knock Off, and since Metang relies on its Eviolite for bulk, it is easily worn down. [better to put the two parts about its typing in the same area imo] However, it lacks access to any This combined with a lack of recovery moves outside of Rest, has weaknesses to common Fire-, Ground-, [ac] and Ghost-type attacks, and faces competition from other Stealth Rock users, (AC) such as Piloswine, Probopass, and Torterra, (AC) and you'll see that Metang isn't without its flaws. [doesn't make sense here now that the Psychic part was removed] However, if you look past these flaws, Metang is a reliable Stealth Rock pivot that can switch into Normal- and Flying-type attacks for its team. [fluff]

[SET]
move 3: Earthquake [add space] / [add space] Bullet Punch

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock is the staple for Metang's team and is important for residual damage and breaking through Sturdy and Focus Sash users. Meteor Dash is Metang's strongest Steel-type move and, [rc] which has a chance to boost its Attack by 1 stage, although it somewhat was [it still is] unreliable. Earthquake hits is used in the third slot to cover [no point in mentioning the slot order unless you're saying x can be used over y] common Steel-types walling that wall Metang, such as Probopass and Pawniard. Bullet Punch could be used for priority to pick off weakened Pokemon, such as a weakened Kadabra. Toxic puts a timer on physically defensive walls that Metang can't touch, such as Tangela, Torterra, [ac] and Poliwrath. Pursuit could be used in the last slot over Toxic to check Grumpig and other offensive Pokemon that can freely switch have a free switch into Metang.

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def EV spread and an Adamant Nature allows Metang to inflict max damage to the target and give it as much bulk as possible as much damage as possible and have a sizable amount of bulk, especially when combined with an Eviolite. The other 4 EVs are invested in defense for more bulk, which combined with Eviolite adds to Metang's high bulk. (condensing this and avoiding some repetition) Clear Body, (AC) is Metang's only relevant ability, (AC) and prevents Intimidate users, (AC) such as Luxray and Arbok, (AC) [having these last two commas is a bit too many in one sentence] from lowering Metang's attack Attack stat.

Usage Tips
========

Switch in Metang in on resisted or attacks Metang attacks it is resistant or is immune to and proceed to set up Stealth Rock or cripple the opponent foe [opponent is the actual player, foe is the Pokemon] with Toxic. Toxic should primarily be used on physically defensive walls such as Tangela, Quilladin, (AC) and Misdreavus. You should keep Metang needs to be as healthy as possible if you need Metang in order to check a opposing threat. Metang is a good switch-in (add hyphen) to Roselia and can force it out and to stop it from setting up Spikes spiking. Metang should switch into a Pokemon with that has low offensive presence and is unable to touch it, such as Tangela or Lickilicky, although it has to be wary of Lickilicky's Knock Off. As Metang is a bulky pivot, it should set up Stealth Rock rocks and damage hit the Pokemon you switch it into as much as possible. Look out for Pokemon with coverage moves that can harm Metang such as Dodrio and Leafeon, which who [who isn't used for Pokemon] carry Knock Off, as you aren't a fully safe switch-in (add hyphen) to them.

Team Options========

Spinblockers, (AC) such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist, (AC) can help to keep Stealth Rock on the battlefield, as Rapid Spinners users, (AC) such as Armaldo and Avalugg, (AC) may remove Metang's Stealth Rock rocks with ease and has no means of reliable recovery [not really relevant to this sentence]. Metang can switch into Flying-types or Pokemon with Levitate such as Rotom-F, Misdreavus, and Pelipper to predict an can switch into Earthquake Ground-type attacks that target Metang. Pokemon with Defiant, (AC) such as Pawniard and Purugly, (AC) can switch in to into a predicted Defog and use it to its their advantage. Setup sweepers, (AC) such as Carracosta and Ninetales, (AC) appreciate entry hazard support and can break through Sturdy in order to successfully sweep. Wishpassers Wish users, (AC) such as Lickilicky and Hypno, (AC) appreciate the entry hazard support from Metang and are able to heal Metang with Wish. Spikers, (AC) such as Roselia and Quilladin, (AC) can be used in conjunction with Metang's Stealth Rock for entry hazard support stacking. Water-types: Water-types, (AC) such as Simipour and Poliwrath, (AC) have nice synergy with Metang, especially Poliwrath, which resists as they resist Fire-type attacks and Knock Off for Metang, (RC) while Metang resists Fighting-, Fairy-, Grass- and Fairy-types for Poliwrath the partner. Poliwrath is especially good, as it also resists Knock Off while Metang also resists Fighting- and Fairy-type moves for Poliwrath. (kinda awkwardly written. Feel free to rewrite the last sentence, but I feel like it'll feel less awkward if Poliwrath is mentioned in another sentence)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Zen Headbutt could be for used in the 3rd or 4th moveslot to hit Fighting-types super effectively; [semi > comma] it is guaranteed to which guarantees a 3HKO on defensive [decapitalize set names] Poliwrath and a 2HKO on Machoke, but you Metang would miss out on covering Steel-types with Earthquake or picking out off weakened Pokemon with Bullet Punch. Rock Slide could be used instead of Earthquake to cover Flying-types; [semi > period] for example, [ac] it which 2HKOes Jumpluff, Swanna, and Drifblim and OHKOes a Ninjask, but you Metang gets hard walled by Steel-types. Explosion could be used instead of Toxic or Bullet Punch in order to deal massive damage to the opposing target, but Golem is a better user of Explosion, [ac] as it can abuse Sturdy and Custap Berry, and you miss out on priority or putting a timer on the opponent's wall. An EV spread of 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def combined with an Impish nature helps Metang to better handle Normal- and Flying types while a specially defensive spread of 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature helps Metang to handle Psychic-types and special attackers better harder. Grass Knot combined with 4 SpA Special Attack EVs and a -Speed-decreasing nature 2HKOes Shell Smash users such as Carracosta and Barbaracle. Rest helps to recover HP, [ac] which is helpful because as Metang gets worn down too easily, [ac] but it is unreliable.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Spinners and Defoggers**: Bulky Pokemon with Defog or Rapid Spin, (AC) such as Pelipper and Swanna respectively, (AC) can easily remove Metang's rocks Stealth Rock, (RC) and take minimal damage from non-Rock Slide variants of Metang, (RC) . (add period) However, they have to watch out for Toxic.

**Knock Off Users**: Pokemon with Knock Off, (AC) such as Pawniard, (AC) are able to Knock Off remove [repetition] Metang's Eviolite and Pursuit trap it, making it less bulky and easier to KO.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types, (AC) such as Gourgeist and Misdreavus, (AC) are able to Will-O-Wisp Metang, while the latter is also being able to Taunt it, preventing it from setting up Stealth Rock rocks.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash can outspeed and can KO Metang with their super effective Fire-type moves. However, they have to watch out for Earthquake.

**Burns**: Metang fears a burns, which cripples its attack Attack stat and can't do prevent it from doing anything besides setting up rocks Stealth Rock.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Golem and Torterra can weaken Metang with their super effective Ground-type STAB attacks due to its Steel-typing. However, they have to watch out for Toxic.

**Setup Sweepers**: Metang can become setup fodder for dangerous sweepers such as Carracosta and Torterra if it cannot KO them if and they set up early in the match.
1/2!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)