What Does That Mon Do?

approved by Mizuhime
adapted and updated from Stratos' "On Assumptions" from early XY

All new players ask the same question when starting out playing Doubles OU which is "What does that mon do?" This thread is meant to provide a basis for what the top mons in the current format are known for doing. Each summary entails the most common EV spread, most common moveset, most common item choice, most common ability, and a brief idea of what that pokemon does. The mons used in this thread are pulled from the Tier 1, 1.5, and 2 pokemon from the ORAS Viability Rankings as they are the most effective and commonly seen mons in the format.

Tier 1

Aegislash
-Always bulky special attacker
-Almost always max HP max SPA with a Quiet Nature
-Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, and King’s Shields are guarantees for moves
-Wide Guard/Substitute/Shadow Sneak are all viable options for the remaining move
-Most common item choices are Weakness Policy (typically found on Wide Guard sets), Leftovers (typically found on Substitute sets), Safety Goggles, and Life Orb
-Stance Change

Amoonguss
-Always bulky support
-EV spreads range from team to team but they are always 100% invested into bulk
-The “standard” spread is 252 HP, 184 DEF, 72 SPD with a relaxed nature
-Almost always run Giga Drain, Rage Powder, Spore, Protect
-On rare occasions Sludge Bomb is used over Giga Drain
-Most common item choices are Rocky Helmet and Sitrus Berry
-Regenerator

Mega Charizard Y
-At higher level of play, almost all Charizards are bulky, however, half of the Charizards found on the ladder are max SPA max SPE Timid
-Almost always run Heat Wave, Overheat, Solarbeam, Protect
-Very rarely the moves Tailwind, Focus Blast, and Hidden Power Ground are used over one of the fire STABs
-Item choice is about 99% Charizardite Y and 1% Charizardite X
-Blaze--->Drought

Cresselia
-Always bulky support
-Almost always max HP max DEF with a defense boosting nature
-Non-max HP max DEF spreads are usually found on Cresselias not carrying Calm Mind
-Most common moveset is Trick Room, Calm Mind, Moonlight, Psyshock
-Other less common, move choices are Helping Hand, Icy Wind, Ice Beam, and Sunny Day
-Most common item choices are Safety Goggles (always seen on the most popular Calm Mind set), Mental Herb, Sitrus Berry, and Leftovers
-Levitate

Mega Diancie
-Always fast mixed attacker
-Always runs an EV spread of 252 SPE, 208 ATK, 48 SPA with either a Hasty or Naive nature
-Always runs Diamond Storm, Moonblast, Earth Power, Protect
-Almost always is carrying Diancite - normal Diancie is only used on full trick room teams
-Note that Mega Diancie only gets its base 110 speed after mega evolution (the first turn you send it out it is still base 50 speed)
-Clear Body--->Magic Bounce

Mega Kangaskhan
-Always fast physical attacker
-EV spread is usually max ATK and max SPE with an Adamant nature
-Rarely runs bulk
-Moveset is almost always fake out, Return/Double-Edge, Power Up Punch/Low Kick, Sucker Punch
-Occasionally Protect is used over Fake Out
-Rarely Ice Punch is used over the fighting move
-Always carries Kangaskhanite
-Note that before mega-evolution it has a base speed of 90
-Scrappy/Inner Focus---> Parental Bond

Keldeo
-Always fast special attacker
-Always runs max SPE and max SPA with a Timid Nature
-Always runs Hydro Pump/Scald, Secret Sword, Taunt/Quick Guard, Protect
-Always carries Life Orb
-Justified

Landorus-therian
-Almost always runs max SPE and max ATK with an Adamant nature
-Almost always runs Earthquake, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, U-Turn, Superpower
-Occasionally Knock Off is used over Superpower
-Almost always runs Choice Scarf
-Other item choices are Choice Band, Leftovers, Assault Vest, and Life Orb
-Non-choice sets usually carry protect over Superpower or U-Turn
-Intimidate

Rotom-Wash
-Almost always bulky support
-Always has a lot of investment into HP and its Defenses
-Most common spread is 252 HP 100 DEF 116 SPA 40 SPD with a Modest nature
-Moveset is almost always Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, Will-o-Wisp, Protect
-Thunder Wave is rarely seen over Will-o-Wisp or Protect
-Most common item is Sitrus Berry
-Rarely seen is choice scarf and choice specs
-Choice sets usually have Volt Switch and Trick as opposed to Will-o-Wisp and Protect on the bulky standard set
-Levitate

Tier 1.5

Bisharp
-Always runs an EV spread of max SPE and max ATK with an Adamant nature
-Always runs Knock Off, Iron Head, Sucker Punch, Protect
-Most common item choices are split between life orb and focus sash
-(don’t try to intimidate bisharp because its ability, defiant, gives it an attack boost)
-Defiant

Heatran
-Always bulky/fast special attacker
-Usually runs an EV spread of 52 HP 252 SPA 204 SPE with a Modest nature however more bulkier sets are used as well
-Most common moveset is Heat Wave, Earth Power, Substitute, Protect
-Flash Cannon is sometimes used over Substitute
-Most common items are Leftovers (primarily used on the Substitute set), Safety Goggles, Shuca Berry, and Life Orb
-Flash Fire

Hydreigon
-Almost always runs an EV spread of max SPE and max SPA with a Modest nature
-Most common moveset is Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, Fire Blast/Earth Power/Tailwind, Protect
-Most common item is Life Orb
-Choice Specs and Choice Scarf are seen occasionally, on these sets Protect is dropped for another coverage move
Levitate

Jirachi
-Always bulky follow me
-Always heavily invested in bulk
-Most common spread is 252 HP 68 DEF 80 SPD 108 SPE with a Careful nature
-Most common moveset is Follow Me, Iron Head, Icy Wind/Thunder Wave, Protect
-Often paired with set up sweepers or frail pokemon that need redirection
-Most common item choices are Sitrus Berry and Safety Goggles
-Serene Grace

Kyurem-Black
-Almost always bulky special attacker
-Most common spread is 108 HP 252 SPA 148 SPE with a Modest nature
-Most common moveset is Ice Beam, Earth Power, Substitute, Protect
-Most common item is Leftovers
-Occasionally seen is choice scarf which usually carries Fusion Bolt and Dragon Claw over Substitute and Protect on the standard bulky sub set
-Teravolt

Latios
-Most common EV spread is max SPE and max SPA with a Timid nature
-Most common moveset is Draco Meteor, Psychic/Psyshock, Tailwind, Protect
-On rare occasions HP Ground/Fire is used over Tailwind
-Always carries Life Orb
-Levitate

Mega Metagross
-Always bulky/fast physical attacker
-Most common EV spread is max SPE max ATK with a Jolly nature, however, bulkier spreads are sometimes seen
-Most common moveset is Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, Ice Punch/Hammer Arm/Substitute/Bullet Punch, Protect
-Third moveslot is based off of the team’s needs and player preference
-Always carries Metagrossite
-Clear Body--->Tough Claws

Talonflame
-Most common EV spread is max SPE and max ATK with an Adamant nature
-Most common moveset is Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Tailwind/Will-o-Wisp/Quick Guard, Protect/Steel Wing
-Most common item is Life Orb however Sharp Beak is seen some and Choice Band is seen rarely
-Gale Wings

Terrakion
-Always runs max SPE and max ATK with a Jolly nature
-Most common moveset is Rock Slide, Close Combat, Quick Guard/Stone Edge/Taunt, Protect
-If paired with either Weavile or Whimsicott, the third move is most likely Earthquake
-Most common items are Focus Sash, Life Orb, and Lum Berry
-Justified

Thundurus-Incarnate
-Sometimes fast offensive support
-Sometimes bulky support
-EV spread is either max SPE and max SPA with a Timid nature or very bulky with a bulk increasing nature
-Fast set usually runs Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Taunt/Hidden Power Ice/Flash Cannon, Protect
-Bulky set usually runs Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Hidden Power Ice
-Most common item choices are Life Orb(on the fast set) and Sitrus Berry(on the bulky set)
-Prankster

Tier 2

Mega Abomasnow
-Always slow bulky mixed attacker
-Always used on Trick Room teams
-Most common EV spread is max HP max SPA with a Quiet Nature and no SPE IVs
-Most common moveset is Blizzard, Giga Drain/Wood Hammer, Ice Shard, Protect
-Almost always carries Abomasnowite
-Snow Warning--->Snow Warning

Azumarill
-Almost always bulky set up physical sweeper
-Almost always runs max HP and max ATK with an Adamant nature
-Occasionally some sets have less HP and more SPE
-Most common moveset is Belly Drum, Aqua Jet, Play Rough, Protect
-Often paired with redirection and Fake Out users
-Almost always carries Sitrus Berry
-Very Rarely carries Choice Band and Assault Vest
-On those sets Waterfall/Superpower/Knock Off are used as coverage moves to replace Belly Drum and Protect
-Huge Power

Mega Camerupt
-Always bulky slow special attacker
-Always used on Trick Room teams
-Most common EV spread is max HP and max SPA with a Quiet nature and no SPE IVs
-Most common moveset is Heat Wave, Earth Power, Ancient Power/Fire Blast, Protect
-Always carries Cameruptite
-Magma Armor--->Sheer Force

Deoxys-Attack
-Always fast mixed attacker
-Most common EV spread is 20 ATK 252 SPA 236 SPE with a Rash nature
-Most common moveset is Psycho Boost, Ice Beam, Superpower/Extreme Speed, Protect
-Always carries Focus Sash
-Pressure

Mega Gengar
-Usually fast special attacker
-Rarely perish trapper
-Most common EV spread for fast special attacker set is max SPE and max SPA with a Timid nature
-Most common EV spread for perish trapper set is max HP and max SPE with a Timid nature
-Most common moveset for fast special attacker set is Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, Disable/Will-o-Wisp, Protect
-Most common moveset for perish trapper set is Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb, Perish Song, Protect, Substitute
-Almost always carries Gengarite
-Levitate--->Shadow Tag

Ludicolo
-Always special rain sweeper
-Usually runs max SPA and enough SPE to outspeed Rotom-Wash outside of rain while dumping the rest in HP with a Modest nature
-Most common moveset is Fake Out, Hydro Pump, Giga Drain, Ice Beam
-Most common items are Assault Vest and Life Orb
-Swift Swim

Mew
-Always fast support
-Most common EV spread is max HP and max SPE with a Jolly nature
-Most common moveset is Fake Out, Transform, Protect, Filler
-The last move can be Ally Switch, Will-o-Wisp, Trick Room, Super Fang, Stealth Rock, or Taunt
-Often paired with set up sweepers that it transforms into
-Most common items are Leftovers and Sitrus Berry
-Synchronize

Politoed
-Usually bulky special attacker
-Usually puts its EVs into bulk in order to conserve rain
-Most common moveset is Scald, Ice Beam/Icy Wind, Helping Hand/Encore, Protect
-Used primarily to get up rain and allow other team members to do better
-Most common item choices are Sitrus Berry and Damp Rock
-Rarely seen is Choice Scarf
-Drizzle

Suicune
-Always bulky support
-Always is EV’d to KO Landorus-therian with Ice Beam and outspeed scarf Landorus-Therian in Tailwind with the rest of its EVs in bulk
-Most common moveset is Scald/Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Tailwind, Snarl/Protect/Mirror Coat
-Most common items are Sitrus Berry and Leftovers
-Pressure

Venusaur
-Usually special sun attacker
-Most common EV spread is max SPE and max SPA with a Modest nature
-Most common moveset is Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Sleep Powder, Protect
-Most common item choices are Life Orb and Focus Sash and on occasion Wide Lens
-Rarely seen is Venusaurite
-Chlorophyll

If you feel that I've left something off, don't hesitate to tell me

Last edited by a moderator:

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Add assault vest as an option on Lando-T, it sounds terrible but can take sun boosted fire moves and things like that.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
I thought this was a really good idea when Stratos first mentioned it, and I'm glad to see it as an actual thread now. This would've helped me a ton when I was first starting out. I don't know if this is just because it was just made, but I think the descriptions should be a little more detailed, while still being concise, almost like the bullet points used in QC skeletons. I don't really know how to explain it so I'll just show it with an example.
-Role: Bulky Special Attacker
-Ability: Stance Change
-EV Spread: Almost always runs max HP and max SpA with a Quiet Nature
-Movesets: Aegislash is practically always running Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, and King’s Shield. Wide Guard/Substitute/Shadow Sneak are the possibilities for the remaining moveslot.
-Possible Items: Weakness Policy (typically found on Wide Guard sets), Leftovers (typically found on Substitute sets), Safety Goggles, and Life Orb

This might be completely unnecessary, but I think it makes it a little neater to understand while still be brief.

This is gonna be a pain in the ass to update every time the viability ranks update
I don't think so. These don't seem like they take too long to write per mon, and if an existing mon moves you just copy and paste stuff around. Takes a little time, sure, but not a huge hassle imo.

I thought this was a really good idea when Stratos first mentioned it, and I'm glad to see it as an actual thread now. This would've helped me a ton when I was first starting out. I don't know if this is just because it was just made, but I think the descriptions should be a little more detailed, while still being concise, almost like the bullet points used in QC skeletons. I don't really know how to explain it so I'll just show it with an example.
-Role: Bulky Special Attacker
-Ability: Stance Change
-EV Spread: Almost always runs max HP and max SpA with a Quiet Nature
-Movesets: Aegislash is practically always running Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, and King’s Shield. Wide Guard/Substitute/Shadow Sneak are the possibilities for the remaining moveslot.
-Possible Items: Weakness Policy (typically found on Wide Guard sets), Leftovers (typically found on Substitute sets), Safety Goggles, and Life Orb

This might be completely unnecessary, but I think it makes it a little neater to understand while still be brief.

I don't think so. These don't seem like they take too long to write per mon, and if an existing mon moves you just copy and paste stuff around. Takes a little time, sure, but not a huge hassle imo.
I'll change it into that format when I get the time
thanks for suggestion

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
maybe you could give a better explanation on what some abilities and moves do, for example on jirachi, its obvious that it has serene grace but with serene grace he has a better flinch chance, gengar avoids earthquakes that without levitate he would be normally hit SE by and mega kanga has parental bond which is effectively a free choice band etc. really nice idea though

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
maybe you could give a better explanation on what some abilities and moves do, for example on jirachi, its obvious that it has serene grace but with serene grace he has a better flinch chance, gengar avoids earthquakes that without levitate he would be normally hit SE by and mega kanga has parental bond which is effectively a free choice band etc. really nice idea though
I think we can assume the reader has some knowledge of Pokemon, this is aimed more at people learning a new metagame who don't know what sets to expect.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Maybe mention bulky lando and twind skymin?

Also, if it's not too much work, some of the more common tier two mons should be added. It just seems weird having a mew analysis but not ones for scrafty or lando i.

You may want to mention Roost as a viable move for Hydregion. It may also be a good idea to add Icy Wind for Keldeo since a lot of people like to use Knights of the Sun.

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
although people suggesting moves mons can carry is nice, i would advice away from adding a copious suggestions. this is because giving a mon 10 moveslots in your head (instead of like 6 or 7) can hurt beginners because they may overpredict. for example, aegislash has sub, shadow ball, flash cannon, kings shield, wide guard, shadow sneak listed. 6 is reasonable and a beginner should learn to play around these 6. of course an aegislash could run head smash and sacred sword, but those would be unrealistic things for a beginner to expect and could hurt how they play. for example: a beginner may switch out their bisharp against an aegislash because they fear the sacred sword.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
^This post is very true

I would however absolutely add Icy Wind on Keldeo. That makes the cut, imo.

Arcueid

nah i'd win nah i'd win nah i'd win
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
shrop05, why Quiet, while you could use Modest on Aegi?
Quiet reduces speed, and that isn't necessary, as Aegi doesn't run Gyro Ball. (I might be wrong here, since Aegi would be more likely to take hits then).

Last edited:
Honestly I'd add Hoopa-u to this thread. It may not be a strong threat or over used (heh, pun), but a lot of people simply doesn't know what it does, which is what this thread is for, right? I mean, I saw a lot of people not knowing it had Knock off or that Hyperspace moves break through protection. And that it can Trick Room.

Last edited:

Arcueid

nah i'd win nah i'd win nah i'd win
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
I've been using Hoopa-Unbound and it's working off great rn, it can run 2 sets efficiently, All Out Attacker and Trick Room. I've tried adjusting the EVs and I've found decent results. Here you go~
shrop05

Role: All Out Attacker (Hyperspace Destruction)
EVs + Nature (All Out Attacker): 224 Atk/140 SpA/144 Spe with Rash (-SpD) or Mild (-Def)
With Life Orb
Moves: Protect, Hyperspace Fury, Hyperspace Hole, Focus Blast/Gunk Shot/Drain Punch
Needs Speed Control help.

This EV set manages to snag an OHKO on Amoonguss, while having a chance to OHKO Cresselia. It needs Tailwind support because it has 232 speed with 144 Spe EVs.

Role: Trick Room Setter
EVs + Nature (Trick Room Setter): 252 Atk/140 SpA/116 SpD with Quiet 0 Spe IVs with Life Orb
Moves: Trick Room, Hyperspace Fury, Hyperspace Hole, Drain Punch/Gunk Shot

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)