#smogonvgc Live Tournament Feedback/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I need to breed some more before I go for my next tournament, I seem to have a commonly found weakness and no actual answer, I also need to read some of my books that I got for Christmas, as a Reader, I have failed, I might go for one before I go on holiday, if it's still going, I'll also be drawn to a pokemon avaliable that catches my eye if one is shown as a participation prize, although my main priority was a Thundurus, which I now have. :) See you next time

Oh shoot, sorry guys. lucariojr and I talked this over and we decided to retire the series until the 2015-2016 rules are out. I've been offline for the last two weeks to focus on my summer finals and I guess I no one got to announcing that.

The series is over for now until next season begins! We'll get the yt videos up eventually. Thanks to everyone who participated in these! You're free to use this thread for more discussion on what you thought of / what you'd like to see from future versions of this tournament.

I like these tourneys, work just got in the way a lot. :<
Last time I played it was swiss, Bo1, and top cut was Bo3. I liked that, I got to play no matter how much I lost, which is very important for someone who is either winwinwinwinwinlose or loseloseloseloselosewin.
Hope to see it come back.

Yeah, i liked all the tournaments that happened so far, this was by far an amazing experience and the Pokemon that people give helped me a lot, specially Landorus-T. Hope to see this back!

Until the 15-16 rules come out? Can they be different from the current ones if no game is released?
Difficult to say. Probably going to be the same, but a situation like this has not really happend in the later years, where there has not come anything new and it is impossible to expand the format. They might ban Dark Void (as they did in VGC 13 iirc, but don't qoute me on that), but it has a fair chance of staying the same. Bring back the old days with 2 legends of any caliber allowed, we need mega ray to kill Kangaskhan.

Until the 15-16 rules come out? Can they be different from the current ones if no game is released?
Keep in mind that they changed the rules half way though last format because ORAS were released. If they do release a new game in early 2016, we may end up using that for the latter half of the format. Beyond that, the only possible rule change I could see is Dark Void being banned.

I doubt that the game addition will change the rules, given that the release of main stream games are usually 8 months - 1 year after the announcement, which at this point of the year, is pretty late. I think it'll be like 2011-2012, so the rules might change a bit.

Just ban Dark Void and Perish Song and as far as I'm concerned we'll have the best metagame ever.
After those are gone, we cna have Battle Spot practice and such and fight like real men.

But the #1 fact about my hopes and dreams, is that they are merely disappointments that haven't happened yet. Next set of rules will probably just be the same damn thing and MAYBE a Dark Void ban. Why they ever unbanned it ffs.

Just ban Dark Void and Perish Song and as far as I'm concerned we'll have the best metagame ever.
After those are gone, we cna have Battle Spot practice and such and fight like real men.

But the #1 fact about my hopes and dreams, is that they are merely disappointments that haven't happened yet. Next set of rules will probably just be the same damn thing and MAYBE a Dark Void ban. Why they ever unbanned it ffs.
I wholeheartedly agree with a Dark Void ban, but not with Perish Song - yes, it's a powerful strategy, but it's still possible to beat. Ghosts can switch out freely and Mega Gengar doesn't have the best defenses.

I wholeheartedly agree with a Dark Void ban, but not with Perish Song - yes, it's a powerful strategy, but it's still possible to beat. Ghosts can switch out freely and Mega Gengar doesn't have the best defenses.
Smeargle is shit, we have Lum Berry and Chesto Berry, Magic Bounce, Magic Coat, Wonder Skin, Vital Spirit, Insomnia, Prankster Taunt, the 1-3 turns of Sleep is "random", can be cured with Heal Bell, Aromatherapy, and Natural Cure, and can be blocked by Substitute.

Mega Gengar has *much* higher Stats, a much better Ability, Perish Song cannot be blocked, reflected, or cured, except by switching (which is possible only for Ghosts and Shadow Tag mons), there is no item to stop/prevent/cure it except Shed Shell (maybe?), pierces Substitute, and cannot be undone unlike any other Field condition (Terrains, Stealth Rocks, Weather, Trick Room, Wonder Room, etc). The only "counters" are Soundproof (which is obscure as hell and Electrode is the only remotely viable one) and Prankster Taunt; and Thundurus/Whimsicott/Tornadus do not seamlessly fit on every team. There is no randomness with Perish Song - you WILL die in 3 turns.

Basically any team has a way to deal with Dark Void; Perish Song has so extremely few answers (99% of which are basically useless against everything else) that it grips virtually every team by the balls and you can't do a damn thing about it. Unbeatable, no, but it did win regionals and even high profile players like Cybertron lose when they're running a team with 4 Gengar counters.

It'll never be banned, though. But luckily everyone I met in these tourneys used something counterable, regardless of whether I won or not.

I agree with both of you. Dark Void is extremerly powerfull on doubles. Focus sash smeargle always goes with a fake out user to ensure the dark void. I mean, who goes with two prankster users on a team ? Lum berry , and magic bounce are the only real way to deal with dark void, but theres two pokemon on the field, meaning your oponent can smash you with the other pokemon ( usually Kangaskahn) and nobody usss heal bell natural cure and aromatherapy on VGC. Dark Void is so broken, even Wide Guard can't stop it, something i can't understand.

Perish Song is extremely broken, but a little bit predictable. I mean, when you see Gengar Politoed Gothitelle and Scrafty you know what to expect. I agree with ProjectTitan313 on the few ansewers to deal with perish song, but u know that gengar will do :tunr 1 persih song, turn 2 protect, turn 3 attack or swicht out. You can take that for your advantatge. What i say is, persish song needs a whole team build around this strategy, Dark Void no. So i belive the best option will be "nerf" perish song with something like a clause that make it no compatible with shadow tag or with another persih song user. And ban Dark Void

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
I agree with both of you. Dark Void is extremerly powerfull on doubles. Focus sash smeargle always goes with a fake out user to ensure the dark void. I mean, who goes with two prankster users on a team ? Lum berry , and magic bounce are the only real way to deal with dark void, but theres two pokemon on the field, meaning your oponent can smash you with the other pokemon ( usually Kangaskahn) and nobody usss heal bell natural cure and aromatherapy on VGC. Dark Void is so broken, even Wide Guard can't stop it, something i can't understand.

Perish Song is extremely broken, but a little bit predictable. I mean, when you see Gengar Politoed Gothitelle and Scrafty you know what to expect. I agree with ProjectTitan313 on the few ansewers to deal with perish song, but u know that gengar will do :tunr 1 persih song, turn 2 protect, turn 3 attack or swicht out. You can take that for your advantatge. What i say is, persish song needs a whole team build around this strategy, Dark Void no. So i belive the best option will be "nerf" perish song with something like a clause that make it no compatible with shadow tag or with another persih song user. And ban Dark Void
Ever ran into does lame Dark Void gimmick teams. Ran into one the other day with Liepard, Smeargle, Medicham and Aurorus. It is so annoying but a bad strategy because the Medicham charges Focus Punch but if you get one avoid you can wreck them. Dark Void should be banned as it is really RNG with leep turns and avoids.

There's no date posted in that thread; is tommorow a tourney, or next week?
I work retail, and we're in the horror of 4th quarter (October, November, December; Halloween, Black friday, Thanksgiving, Christmas) so my weekends are basically a myth. I work all day tommorow, but somehow managed to get Saturday off. Next week I work the entire weekend. So I might join the Saturday tourney if it's this weekend. Can't wait for January.
Not done VGC since BS Doubles got the non-pentagon rule and became a different meta, but I'm sure I can at least hold my own. :P

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Will the tournament next week be vgc 15 or 16 rules. I would personally like it if it was 15 for one more but I'm fine if it isn't. I would really appreciate it though if you were able to give out the restricted vgc 16 legendaries.

Will the tournament next week be vgc 15 or 16 rules. I would personally like it if it was 15 for one more but I'm fine if it isn't. I would really appreciate it though if you were able to give out the restricted vgc 16 legendaries.
Yeah, whatever the format is we'll give away VGC'16 mons. I'm more oriented to VGC'15 because i want to close the year in the best tournament of VGC'15 we can have. I'm also oriented to do just one the next week to drag more attention to this single event. I'll do a lot of preparations so the next Saturday is the best tournament we can hold this year.

as all you know, the rules for VGC'16 have been released.
Yeah, whatever the format is we'll give away VGC'16 mons. I'm more oriented to VGC'15 because i want to close the year in the best tournament of VGC'15 we can have. I'm also oriented to do just one the next week to drag more attention to this single event. I'll do a lot of preparations so the next Saturday is the best tournament we can hold this year.
Good news !! i would apreciate a lot if you giveaway VGC'16 legendaries, cuz thery're really hard to obtain. due to ingame mechanics. Also i will participate for sure in the big next week tournament !

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
mfw I am probably going to miss it :(

I work retail, Friday/Saturday/Sunday are for school age kids and other people. I'll be cringing over the collective stupidity and assholeness of the general public the entire day.
Which sucks, my new team has been amazing. But we'll be at VGC16 before I can compete and you guys will never see my not Drought team of doom and I'll be missing the givaways.
Fuck November. Fuck December.

Edit: wait, December 12 or December 19? If it starts after 5PM EST on the 19th I can make it. If it's tommorow/Sunday then lolnope.

I work retail, Friday/Saturday/Sunday are for school age kids and other people. I'll be cringing over the collective stupidity and assholeness of the general public the entire day.
Which sucks, my new team has been amazing. But we'll be at VGC16 before I can compete and you guys will never see my not Drought team of doom and I'll be missing the givaways.
Fuck November. Fuck December.

Edit: wait, December 12 or December 19? If it starts after 5PM EST on the 19th I can make it. If it's tommorow/Sunday then lolnope.
19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)