Other [Monotype] "Deception Done Right." A Mono Fairy Trick Room Team. Peaked #11

Introduction

A month or two ago, I took a break from the Monotype tier and came back to see an environment that was faster and bulkier than ever, where bulky Balance teams still thrived. However, I also noted a setting where Hyper Offense was beginning to flourish. I wanted to build a team that could handle these two playstyles and their frequented types well, while still being able to handle other commonly used types. To accomplish this, I knew that I needed a type that had access to bulky hard hitters that could dismantle walls and still handle offensive threats. However, the combination of bulk, power, and speed is very rare in a single Pokemon, let alone an entire type. To mitigate this issue, I decided that my ideal anti meta team would have to be a Trick Room team, as Trick Room not only decimates offense, but has powerful hard hitters to break bulky teams as well.

To decide on what type to use, I reviewed the usage statistics of the previous two months, and noted that these six types never dropped from top six in usage: Bug, Psychic, Fighting, Ground, Flying, and Dragon. I then headed over to the Matchup Tables to look for types that had a neutral or positive matchups verses these types, and decided to pick the Fairy type, as it provided three matchups in my favor in Bug, Fighting, and Dragon, two neutral matchups in Flying and Psychic, and only one unbalanced matchup in Ground. However, I knew that Fairy had access to some of the most potent wallbreakers in the tier in Sylveon and Azumarill, and that's something that I couldn't pass up.

I gave the team its name because at a glance, it is generic Then you see a Diancie with Leftovers recovery and wonder what is going when I set Trick Room after revealing a Scarf user.

When you look at some of these sets, you may think: "what in the actual f...?" But trust me, they work ^.^

The Team at a Glance

Teambuilding Process
I started with Diancie, as Diancie can provide both Trick Room and Stealth Rock support while being able to utilize Trick Room itself.
I chose Azumarill as a partner to Diancie, as it can cover Diancie's crippling Steel weakness while being able to remove Steel type threats in general.
I needed another Trick Room setter, so I went with Gardevoir, as Fairy lacks potent offensive threats as Trick Room setters. Originally, I didn't have a mega on this team and had a regular, LO Gardevoir. This was later changed to Mega-Gardevoir to increase his overall power and longevity.
With a second Trick Room setter came the need for a second Trick Room abuser, so I opted for Specs Sylveon due to it's insane damage output and neat coverage against typical Gardevoir switchins.
I then added Klefki for the Poison immunity and Steel check. Klefki not only grants me screens, but allows me to hazard stack, which makes the Trick Room sweepers even deadlier.
The ideal Trick Room team ideally mandates three setters. However, my only other options were Aromatisse, Carbink, Mr. Mime, or Whimsiscott. While all of them could set up Trick Room and offer support, none of them offered an offensive presence, which I found vital versus unbalanced matchups or general threats to the type, so I decided to add a member that can function outside of Trick Room.

The Sets

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Diamond Storm
- Explosion

Diancie performs multiple roles in this team. Diancie is a rock setter, a Trick Room setter, and a Trick Room sweeper. I went with a physical set because Diancie single handedly laughs and Flying teams once Skarmory is down, as it can set up Trick room mutiple times against threats not named Gliscor or Landorus and proceed to sweep. Explosion is there to secure a OHKO that Diamond Storm otherwise wouldn't, or to allow a Trick Room sweeper to safely come into the field with the maximum number of Trick Room turns as possible.

Diancie can generally be a huge asset versus Flying and Bug teams, as it can often times set Trick Room up multiple times in the battle and sweep. A Life Orb can be used to secure many OHKOs that Diancie misses and optimizes the length of Trick Room turns, but since Diancie is only one of two setters, I opted for Leftovers instead.

Azumarill (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Azumarill is as close to Mawile as I will be getting until gen seven, and it is good enough. Thanks to Huge Power, Azumarill boasts a psuedo base 150 Attack stat. Combine this with a great defensive and offensive typing, ans you have yourself a monster. Play Rough and Waterfall and mandated dual STABs to maximize damage output. Superpower is chosen to deal with generic Steel threats as well as forming incredible nuetral coverage. Aqua Jet can be used as priority, as has won me many games outside of Trick Room.

A lot of people have criticized me for running a Life Orb over a Choice Band on Azumarill. The fact of the matter is that a Life Orb is overall better. Mono teams are diverse and carry their share of immunities and resistances, so being choice locked means that I have to always predict a proper switch in, and that I risk being forced out on their revenge killer due to an immunity or resist that it harbors which can cost me a turn of Trick Room and unnecessarily harm another team member.

Azumarill is my main defense against Ground teams, who often times single handely sweeps. There is nothing that can survive a hit from him on Flying after Skarmory is down bar defensive Togekiss. Playing around Slowbro on Psychic can be annoying at times, but once he's down, it's a pretty easy Trick Room sweep. Bug has zero answers to Trick Room Azumarill, and Azumarill can OHKO everything after rocks bar Scizor.​

Gardevoir (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Healing Wish

This may be another one of those sets that you look at and wonder if I'm actually a good teambuilder or really just lucky and bad. Hyper Voice is a mandated offensive move that tears holes into anything that it hits. Focus Blast once again provides neutral coverage alongside Hyper Voice. Healing Wish acts just like Explosion with Diancie. It isn't unusual for me to be reckless with Azumarill or Sylveon (Specs Sylveon's Hyper Voice actually hits harder than Mega-Gardevoir's OML) in a matchup where they have an advantage, such as Ground and Water, so I often times find myself going for Trick Room and then an immediate Healing Wish without ever attacking to allow either Azumarill or Sylveon to essentially win the game in their second round of carnage.

Sylveon (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Sylveon, under Trick Room, is a monster. Period. Hyper Voice completely tears through neutral matchups, and can often times OHKO entire teams with out without rocks once key resists or walls have been eliminated. Hyper Voice is the mandated STAB to abuse Trick Room. Psyshock hits Poison types, which patches up the coverage of Gardevoir. Hidden Power Fire allows me to dent things like Ferrothorn, Forrestress, and Scizor. Baton Pass used to be used in place of Shadow Ball, but Shadow Ball actually allows me to hit Jirachi, Victini, and Aegislash, who love switching into Sylveon to stall out Trick Room turns, harder.

Sylveon laughs in the face of Flying, Fighting, Dark, Water, and Psychic teams. Once key walls or threats have been broken, such as Skarmory, Tyranitar, Empoleon, Tentacruel, Jirachi, Victini, and Meloetta, Sylveon finds itself being able to OHKO the entire type.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Spike

No Fairy team is complete without Klefki. Being neutral to Steel and immune to Poison, Fairies cannot ask for a better partner. I went with standard screens Klefki to help Diancie and Gardevoir safely set up Trick Room. Since Trick Room already offers speed control, I am able to run both Foul Play and Spikes on Klefki, which is something that most Fairy teams can only dream of. Hazard stacking + incredibly powerful Trick Room sweepers are a recipe for success. 56 Speed EVs allows Klefki to outspeed Mega-Scizors with minimal Speed investment and set up a Reflect before they can land a Bullet Punch.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Togekiss is an incredible glue for the team, as it has the ability to function outside of Trick Room and cripple or hax walls to death. Air Slash is usually the move that I click for obvious reasons. Togekiss is an incredible defense against Mega-Venusaur. Fire Blast can OHKO Bisharp on Dark and Ferrothorn on Grass, both of which can be incredibly annoying. Air Slash can essentially 6-0 Fighting monos, and Dazzling Gleam gives the middle finger to Dragon monos.

Threat List
Playing around Scizor is hell. Everytime that he comes in, something dies. If it's mega, Klefki is the only hope to defeat it. CB can still defeat the team, but it is MUCH easier to play around. If you come across Steel WITH Mega-Scizor, save yourself the time and trouble and click X.

Both forms are annoying. They aren't too problematic, but playing around them can be tedious. Lando-I usually carries Sludge Wave, and Lando-T has the EdgeQuake coverage + Uturn

Since this team lacks speed, a well played Bisharp can sweep given the right counterplay if I don't properly preserve Togekiss

I'll update this at a later time!

Importable
Allahu Ahkbar (Diancie) @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Diamond Storm
- Explosion

Anon Twink (Sylveon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Urine Trouble (Azumarill) (M) @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Gardevoir-Senpai (Gardevoir) (M) @ Gardevoirite
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Healing Wish

Janitors Fren (Klefki) @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Spikes

'Murica (Togekiss) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Replays
VS Omniax's Bug

VS Prosaic's Bug

VS Prosaic's Psychic (this is why Shadow Ball was given to Sylveon)

VS Prosaic's Dark

VS Kaiser's Flying

VS Sabella's Water

VS Firnen's Dragon

VS Ground This was supposed to be an unbalanced matchup. What?

VS Ice

VS Fairy

VS Poison

Conclusion
The Monotype tier has recently been blessed with a tiering council, and I am thrilled to see that the council is working avidly to stimulate and progress the Monotype community. I find myself often times ghosting these forums, and have always been disappointed by the lack of involvement within our community. Hopefully, the team showcase that scpinion has implemented will be enough incentive to get out avid users more involved within the community and to possibly help invite new players into our tier.

This team was a joy to test, and helped me gain a new appreciation for the type. After peaking this team, I built another Fairy team and peaked #7 with it, which I think is pretty amazing for such an underused type. I appreciate everyone who took the time to read and reply to this, and I can't wait to see a surge of other amazing RMTs​

Last edited:

Introduction

A month or two ago, I took a break from the Monotype tier and came back to see an environment that was faster and bulkier than ever, where bulky Balance teams still thrived. However, I also noted a setting where Hyper Offense was beginning to flourish. I wanted to build a team that could handle these two playstyles and their frequented types well, while still being able to handle other commonly used types. To accomplish this, I knew that I needed a type that had access to bulky hard hitters that could dismantle walls and still handle offensive threats. However, the combination of bulk, power, and speed is very rare in a single Pokemon, let alone an entire type. To mitigate this issue, I decided that my ideal anti meta team would have to be a Trick Room team, as Trick Room not only decimates offense, but has powerful hard hitters to break bulky teams as well.

To decide on what type to use, I reviewed the usage statistics of the previous two months, and noted that these six types never dropped from top six in usage: Bug, Psychic, Fighting, Ground, Flying, and Dragon. I then headed over to the Matchup Tables to look for types that had a neutral or positive matchups verses these types, and decided to pick the Fairy type, as it provided three matchups in my favor in Bug, Fighting, and Dragon, two neutral matchups in Flying and Psychic, and only one unbalanced matchup in Ground. However, I knew that Fairy had access to some of the most potent wallbreakers in the tier in Sylveon and Azumarill, and that's something that I couldn't pass up.

When you look at some of these sets, you may think: "what in the actual f...?" But trust me, they work ^.^

The Team at a Glance

Teambuilding Process
I started with Diancie, as Diancie can provide both Trick Room and Stealth Rock support while being able to utilize Trick Room itself.
I chose Azumarill as a partner to Diancie, as it can cover Diancie's crippling Steel weakness while being able to remove Steel type threats in general.
I needed another Trick Room setter, so I went with Gardevoir, as Fairy lacks potent offensive threats as Trick Room setters. Originally, I didn't have a mega on this team and had a regular, LO Gardevoir. This was later changed to Mega-Gardevoir to increase his overall power and longevity.
With a second Trick Room setter came the need for a second Trick Room abuser, so I opted for Specs Sylveon due to it's insane damage output and neat coverage against typical Gardevoir switchins.
I then added Klefki for the Poison immunity and Steel check. Klefki not only grants me screens, but allows me to hazard stack, which makes the Trick Room sweepers even deadlier.
The ideal Trick Room team ideally mandates three setters. However, my only other options were Aromatisse, Carbink, Mr. Mime, or Whimsiscott. While all of them could set up Trick Room and offer support, none of them offered an offensive presence, which I found vital versus unbalanced matchups or general threats to the type, so I decided to add a member that can function outside of Trick Room.

The Sets

Diancie @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Diamond Storm
- Explosion

Diancie performs multiple roles in this team. Diancie is a rock setter, a Trick Room setter, and a Trick Room sweeper. I went with a physical set because Diancie single handedly laughs and Flying teams once Skarmory is down, as it can set up Trick room mutiple times against threats not named Gliscor or Landorus and proceed to sweep. Explosion is there to secure a OHKO that Diamond Storm otherwise wouldn't, or to allow a Trick Room sweeper to safely come into the field with the maximum number of Trick Room turns as possible.

Diancie can generally be a huge asset versus Flying and Bug teams, as it can often times set Trick Room up multiple times in the battle and sweep. A Life Orb can be used to secure many OHKOs that Diancie misses and optimizes the length of Trick Room turns, but since Diancie is only one of two setters, I opted for Leftovers instead.

Azumarill (M) @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Azumarill is as close to Mawile as I will be getting until gen seven, and it is good enough. Thanks to Huge Power, Azumarill boasts a psuedo base 150 Attack stat. Combine this with a great defensive and offensive typing, ans you have yourself a monster. Play Rough and Waterfall and mandated dual STABs to maximize damage output. Superpower is chosen to deal with generic Steel threats as well as forming incredible nuetral coverage. Aqua Jet can be used as priority, as has won me many games outside of Trick Room.

A lot of people have criticized me for running a Life Orb over a Choice Band on Azumarill. The fact of the matter is that a Life Orb is overall better. Mono teams are diverse and carry their share of immunities and resistances, so being choice locked means that I have to always predict a proper switch in, and that I risk being forced out on their revenge killer due to an immunity or resist that it harbors which can cost me a turn of Trick Room and unnecessarily harm another team member.

Azumarill is my main defense against Ground teams, who often times single handely sweeps. There is nothing that can survive a hit from him on Flying after Skarmory is down bar defensive Togekiss. Playing around Slowbro on Psychic can be annoying at times, but once he's down, it's a pretty easy Trick Room sweep. Bug has zero answers to Trick Room Azumarill, and Azumarill can OHKO everything after rocks bar Scizor.​

Gardevoir (M) @ Gardevoirite
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Healing Wish

This may be another one of those sets that you look at and wonder if I'm actually a good teambuilder or really just lucky and bad. Hyper Voice is a mandated offensive move that tears holes into anything that it hits. Focus Blast once again provides neutral coverage alongside Hyper Voice. Healing Wish acts just like Explosion with Diancie. It isn't unusual for me to be reckless with Azumarill or Sylveon (Specs Sylveon's Hyper Voice actually hits harder than Mega-Gardevoir's OML) in a matchup where they have an advantage, such as Ground and Water, so I often times find myself going for Trick Room and then an immediate Healing Wish without ever attacking to allow either Azumarill or Sylveon to essentially win the game in their second round of carnage.

Sylveon (M) @ Choice Specs
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Sylveon, under Trick Room, is a monster. Period. Hyper Voice completely tears through neutral matchups, and can often times OHKO entire teams with out without rocks once key resists or walls have been eliminated. Hyper Voice is the mandated STAB to abuse Trick Room. Psyshock hits Poison types, which patches up the coverage of Gardevoir. Hidden Power Fire allows me to dent things like Ferrothorn, Forrestress, and Scizor. Baton Pass used to be used in place of Shadow Ball, but Shadow Ball actually allows me to hit Jirachi, Victini, and Aegislash, who love switching into Sylveon to stall out Trick Room turns, harder.

Sylveon laughs in the face of Flying, Fighting, Dark, Water, and Psychic teams. Once key walls or threats have been broken, such as Skarmory, Tyranitar, Empoleon, Tentacruel, Jirachi, Victini, and Meloetta, Sylveon finds itself being able to OHKO the entire type.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Spike

No Fairy team is complete without Klefki. Being neutral to Steel and immune to Poison, Fairies cannot ask for a better partner. I went with standard screens Klefki to help Diancie and Gardevoir safely set up Trick Room. Since Trick Room already offers speed control, I am able to run both Foul Play and Spikes on Klefki, which is something that most Fairy teams can only dream of. Hazard stacking + incredibly powerful Trick Room sweepers are a recipe for success. 56 Speed EVs allows Klefki to outspeed Mega-Scizors with minimal Speed investment and set up a Reflect before they can land a Bullet Punch.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Togekiss is an incredible glue for the team, as it has the ability to function outside of Trick Room and cripple or hax walls to death. Air Slash is usually the move that I click for obvious reasons. Togekiss is an incredible defense against Mega-Venusaur. Fire Blast can OHKO Bisharp on Dark and Ferrothorn on Grass, both of which can be incredibly annoying. Air Slash can essentially 6-0 Fighting monos, and Dazzling Gleam gives the middle finger to Dragon monos.

Threat List
Playing around Scizor is hell. Everytime that he comes in, something dies. If it's mega, Klefki is the only hope to defeat it. CB can still defeat the team, but it is MUCH easier to play around. If you come across Steel WITH Mega-Scizor, save yourself the time and trouble and click X.

Both forms are annoying. They aren't too problematic, but playing around them can be tedious. Lando-I usually carries Sludge Wave, and Lando-T has the EdgeQuake coverage + Uturn

Since this team lacks speed, a well played Bisharp can sweep given the right counterplay if I don't properly preserve Togekiss

I'll update this at a later time!

Importable
Allahu Ahkbar (Diancie) @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Diamond Storm
- Explosion

Anon Twink (Sylveon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Urine Trouble (Azumarill) (M) @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Gardevoir-Senpai (Gardevoir) (M) @ Gardevoirite
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Healing Wish

Janitors Fren (Klefki) @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Spikes

'Murica (Togekiss) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Replays
VS Omniax's Bug

VS Prosaic's Bug

VS Prosaic's Psychic (this is why Shadow Ball was given to Sylveon)

VS Prosaic's Dark

VS Kaiser's Flying

VS Sabella's Water

VS Firnen's Dragon

VS Ground This was supposed to be an unbalanced matchup. What?

VS Ice

VS Fairy

VS Poison

Conclusion
The Monotype tier has recently been blessed with a tiering council, and I am thrilled to see that the council is working avidly to stimulate and progress the Monotype community. I find myself often times ghosting these forums, and have always been disappointed by the lack of involvement within our community. Hopefully, the team showcase that scpinion has implemented will be enough incentive to get out avid users more involved within the community and to possibly help invite new players into our tier.

This team was a joy to test, and helped me gain a new appreciation for the type. After peaking this team, I built another Fairy team and peaked #7 with it, which I think is pretty amazing for such an underused type. I appreciate everyone who took the time to read and reply to this, and I can't wait to see a surge of other amazing RMTs​
Hey ed, that's a pretty interesting concept. I definately agree the team is pretty unorthodox. Idk if you have the space, but Clefable could be a nice addition to the team. I'm mentioning this bc under screens, and physical def, it can check scizor, and other sweepers for example that run bulk up, sd, ect (If you get the trend here, I'm talking about Unaware). It could be a nice bulky tank. I can give you ta decent set, idk what you'd wanna replace, but I can honestly see this as rly benefiting the team.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD OR 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
For the EVS, I made some calcs for a couple rly strong physical sweepers so it'll have just the right amount of defense through Reflect to gaurentee a 3KO after leftovers recovery. This is so you can add a bit of Special Defensive investment if you want it more as an all-purpose mixed tank.

• 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 248 HP / 144+ Def Clefable through Reflect: 168-198 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 144+ Def Clefable through Reflect: 160-189 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 116 SpD Clefable through Light Screen: 127-150 (32.3 - 38.1%) -- 1.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (specs magnezone can 2KO, so be careful of that, be sure to do a CM prior)
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. +1 248 HP / 116 SpD Clefable through Light Screen: 133-156 (33.8 - 39.6%) -- 20.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

This thing with Klefki's support can tank a ton of attacks, and for those faster threats such as Gengar, that's where trick room can really benefit it. The only thing you should be concerned about is Fire mons, since they resist all of Clefable's attacks.

Just another suggestion as well, I'd make Azumarill BD. This gives it so much more sweeping potential under screens and trick room, and with hazards breaking sashes, that makes your life a lot easier (not to mention it can sweep steel once you take scizor out). It'll be very strong as it is even without LO, and no boost yet, and its already a pain in the ass to wall, but, the fact that your team, and especially if you add the Clefable set I mentioned, makes it very easy for it to boost, why not go for it?

Those are just my opinions, otherwise nice job fren :)

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Ed, cool Fairy team you've got here, using a premise I haven't seen since Mega-Mawile got banned.

In all honesty, I feel that Diancie is really just not up to par with Carbink on setting up Stealth Rock and Trick Room due to its lack of Sturdy and Magic Coat. Carbink can also allow you to set up Trick Room on Bisharp, barring an Iron Head Flinch.

I've tested out Trick Room Fairies before, and to my surprize, Granbull seemed to be an extreme help against Steel Teams and an overall great wallbreaker under Trick Room paired with a Choice Band, and can work very well paired with a Pixilate user. I could see it fitting over Klefki in all honesty, which doesn't actually fit that well on the Hyper Offensive Style Trick Room attempts to use, even though it's a great support Pokemon.
Granbull can also help a bit with Scizor, lowering its Attack with Intimidate, while you can switch in Azumarill on a -1 Bullet Punch.

Sets:

Carbink @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Magic Coat

Granbull @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Hey Ed, cool Fairy team you've got here, using a premise I haven't seen since Mega-Mawile got banned.

In all honesty, I feel that Diancie is really just not up to par with Carbink on setting up Stealth Rock and Trick Room due to its lack of Sturdy and Magic Coat. Carbink can also allow you to set up Trick Room on Bisharp, barring an Iron Head Flinch.

I've tested out Trick Room Fairies before, and to my surprize, Granbull seemed to be an extreme help against Steel Teams and an overall great wallbreaker under Trick Room paired with a Choice Band, and can work very well paired with a Pixilate user. I could see it fitting over Klefki in all honesty, which doesn't actually fit that well on the Hyper Offensive Style Trick Room attempts to use, even though it's a great support Pokemon.
Granbull can also help a bit with Scizor, lowering its Attack with Intimidate, while you can switch in Azumarill on a -1 Bullet Punch.

Sets:

Carbink @ Custap Berry
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Magic Coat

Granbull @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
TBH Diancie does outclass Crabink a bit, but, I actually put in a core for Fairy with Granbull in it, it's definatley a great wallbreaker, and wouldn't be a bad idea to try on a trick room fairy team. Again there's the problem of who does he wanna replace, because the team itself is pretty fuul (I'm kinda leaning towards Togekiss, but idek)

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
TBH Diancie does outclass Crabink a bit, but, I actually put in a core for Fairy with Granbull in it, it's definatley a great wallbreaker, and wouldn't be a bad idea to try on a trick room fairy team. Again there's the problem of who does he wanna replace, because the team itself is pretty fuul (I'm kinda leaning towards Togekiss, but idek)
The thing about Diancie, is it doesn't guarentee Stealth Rocks, and it can't bounce back status/entryhazards and, being a suicide lead it doesn't actually need to be powerful if all it is going to do is Explode after setting it up.

Hey ed, that's a pretty interesting concept. I definately agree the team is pretty unorthodox. Idk if you have the space, but Clefable could be a nice addition to the team. I'm mentioning this bc under screens, and physical def, it can check scizor, and other sweepers for example that run bulk up, sd, ect (If you get the trend here, I'm talking about Unaware). It could be a nice bulky tank. I can give you ta decent set, idk what you'd wanna replace, but I can honestly see this as rly benefiting the team.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD OR 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
For the EVS, I made some calcs for a couple rly strong physical sweepers so it'll have just the right amount of defense through Reflect to gaurentee a 3KO after leftovers recovery. This is so you can add a bit of Special Defensive investment if you want it more as an all-purpose mixed tank.

• 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 248 HP / 144+ Def Clefable through Reflect: 168-198 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 144+ Def Clefable through Reflect: 160-189 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 116 SpD Clefable through Light Screen: 127-150 (32.3 - 38.1%) -- 1.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (specs magnezone can 2KO, so be careful of that, be sure to do a CM prior)
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. +1 248 HP / 116 SpD Clefable through Light Screen: 133-156 (33.8 - 39.6%) -- 20.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

This thing with Klefki's support can tank a ton of attacks, and for those faster threats such as Gengar, that's where trick room can really benefit it. The only thing you should be concerned about is Fire mons, since they resist all of Clefable's attacks.

Just another suggestion as well, I'd make Azumarill BD. This gives it so much more sweeping potential under screens and trick room, and with hazards breaking sashes, that makes your life a lot easier (not to mention it can sweep steel once you take scizor out). It'll be very strong as it is even without LO, and no boost yet, and its already a pain in the ass to wall, but, the fact that your team, and especially if you add the Clefable set I mentioned, makes it very easy for it to boost, why not go for it?

Those are just my opinions, otherwise nice job fren :)
Thanks for the suggestions. While i do acknowledge the bulk and set up power of Clefable on Fairy, i do not want to utilize Trick Room turns for set ups that go beyond one turn. In order to check Mega -Scizor, Clefable wold require Fire Blast and a small amount of special attack investment, as Mega-Scizor is literally broken and eats up non STAB Fire moves for breakfast.Set up sweepers not named Scizor are not an issue, as I can easily force offensive pressure to prevent setups(see the Dragon replay). I've thought bout using Clefable many times in this team, but i don't think that Clefable is well suited here.

I've thought about utilizing Belly Drum Azumarill on this team, but it might have to slightly change the way that i play this team. I've been reluctant as of now because Azumarill already lands so many OHKOs and is my main defense against Ground( refer to the Ground replay) who can handle BD Azumarill very well with Garchomp and Seismitoad. Furthermore, having minimum speed means that I am unable to outspeed walls, so things like Mandibuzz and Skarmory are now threats to Azumarill.
I'll definitely try this in the future.

Sets:

Carbink @ Custap Berry
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Magic Coat

Granbull @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
Thank you as well for the suggestions. However, I do not agree with having Carbink as a setter. Sure, it can set up Trick Room on Bisharp, assuming that Tyranitar didn't set up rocks. I almost never lead Diancie, as Diancie is nor meant to be a suicide lead, despite it's set. If Diancie was a lead, I would agree that Carbink can accomplish a better job. I geberally anti lead. Togekiss or Azumarill are general leads for Fighting, Sylveon for Dark, Togekiss for Steel, Klefki, Diancie, or Azumarill for Fairy and so on.

Also, I think that Klefki can work great on offensive teams as it can hazard stack and serve as emergency screens to be able to more comfortably set up Trick Room. However, I can also see how another offensive threat can work in tandem with the team. I like the idea of Banded Fire Fang with Hyper Voice spam like you suggested. I'll run damage calcs and test Grandbull if they provide good enough numbers

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 340-404 (96.5 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 0+ Def Mega Scizor: 348-412 (101.4 - 120.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 386-456 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 146-172 (43.7 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Granbull can easily become a win condition against Steel given the right switch ins, and is such a scary Pokemon under Trick Room in General.

Thanks for the suggestions. While i do acknowledge the bulk and set up power of Clefable on Fairy, i do not want to utilize Trick Room turns for set ups that go beyond one turn. In order to check Mega -Scizor, Clefable wold require Fire Blast and a small amount of special attack investment, as Mega-Scizor is literally broken and eats up non STAB Fire moves for breakfast.Set up sweepers not named Scizor are not an issue, as I can easily force offensive pressure to prevent setups(see the Dragon replay). I've thought bout using Clefable many times in this team, but i don't think that Clefable is well suited here.

I've thought about utilizing Belly Drum Azumarill on this team, but it might have to slightly change the way that i play this team. I've been reluctant as of now because Azumarill already lands so many OHKOs and is my main defense against Ground( refer to the Ground replay) who can handle BD Azumarill very well with Garchomp and Seismitoad. Furthermore, having minimum speed means that I am unable to outspeed walls, so things like Mandibuzz and Skarmory are now threats to Azumarill.
I'll definitely try this in the future.

Thank you as well for the suggestions. However, I do not agree with having Carbink as a setter. Sure, it can set up Trick Room on Bisharp, assuming that Tyranitar didn't set up rocks. I almost never lead Diancie, as Diancie is nor meant to be a suicide lead, despite it's set. If Diancie was a lead, I would agree that Carbink can accomplish a better job. I geberally anti lead. Togekiss or Azumarill are general leads for Fighting, Sylveon for Dark, Togekiss for Steel, Klefki, Diancie, or Azumarill for Fairy and so on.

Also, I think that Klefki can work great on offensive teams as it can hazard stack and serve as emergency screens to be able to more comfortably set up Trick Room. However, I can also see how another offensive threat can work in tandem with the team. I like the idea of Banded Fire Fang with Hyper Voice spam like you suggested. I'll run damage calcs and test Grandbull if they provide good enough numbers
Hey man, you can always make the calcs to see how much sp attack you need for Flamethrower to KO Mega Scizor if you wanted. Just remove those EVs from Sp Def. #Granbull#Cancerfable#OPCoreFTW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)