Other Trick Room Psychic

Hey guys! WishingJirachi7 here! I've been testing out many things and seeing how they do. This team right here is probably the most interesting team I made so far so I think it's worth sharing. I actually made top 50 with it too. The idea of the team is to take advantage of the relatively fast meta, set up hazards and Trick Room, and then proceed to sweep. Inspired by ed wins' Trick Room Fairy team.

Ultimate Waifu (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball

Mega Gardevoir is the team's main check to Dark and Dragon types as well as one of the main Trick Room setters. Pixilated Hyper Voice decimates teams that are weak to Fairy. Focus Blast is used to grant coverage against Steel and Dark teams. Shadow Ball is used because screw Ghost types. EVs make Gardevoir decently bulky while still hitting fairly hard. A Quiet Nature and 0 Speed IVs are used to make Gardevoir slower.

Perfect Cell (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Reuniclus is one of the most underrated mons in the meta atm. With the ability of Magic Guard, it is the main status absorber of the team as well as another Trick Room setter. Psychic is used for raw damage although Psyshock is acceptable if you want to hit special walls. Shadow Ball hits most Ghost types fairly hard. Focus Blast hits Dark and Steel types for good damage which would otherwise wall Reuniclus. Life Orb is used to take advantage of Magic Guard for no recoil and the freedom in switching moves. EVs are pretty straightforward.

Victory (Victini) @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick Room

One look at Victini's speed tier would tell you "what the hell bro, why would you run such a fast mon on a Trick Room team?" Well, if you take a closer look, you will notice that Victini has V-create. V-create takes advantage of Trick Room by lowering Victini's speed, allowing it to be "faster" than almost everything under Trick Room. Bolt Strike hits Water and Flying types really hard. Zen Headbutt is secondary STAB for Fighting and Poison types. Trick Room is useful for setting up late game sweeps. Life Orb is the ideal item to deal as much damage as possible while still being able to switch moves. A Brave Nature and 0 Spe IVs are to make Victini as slow as possible.

Git Gud (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Energy Ball

This thing is a beast. Unbound is the one of the premier wallbreakers of the Monotype metagame. Hyperspace Fury speaks for itself in how useful it is. Fire Punch is useful for targeting Scizor and Ferrothorn. Drain Punch hits Dark types and helps mitigate recoil damage. Energy Ball is just there for.... Water Monos? Lol I'm dumb. Life Orb is used for increasing the damage output while still retaining the ability to switch moves. A Brave Nature in tandem of 0 Spe IVs are to make Unbound as slow as possible. EVs make Hoopa-Unbound hit as hard as possible.

Superstar (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is one of the weirdest pokes to put on a Trick Room team but hear me out. Starmie is very helpful for getting hazards off the field and keeping certain threats in check via Reflect Type and Scald. Recover is used to.... well.... recover HP. Not really much else that Starmie does for the team aside from that. EVs are tailored to make Starmies as bulky as possible while leftovers give some passive recovery.

Da Bulk Tho (Deoxys-Defense) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Toxic

Deoxys-Defense is the main hazard setter that you should lead with 90% of the time. Originally, I was gonna use Bronzong but Deoxys-Defense seemed to fit better strangely. Stealth Rock and Spikes are used for obvious reasons. Taunt is used to stop opponents from setting up hazards/defogging. Toxic is just there to wear down walls. Rocky Helmet is used so physical Attackers take recoil damage from touching it. Max Speed may seem weird but remember that Deoxys-D is used as a suicide lead.

Although this team has good matchups against most of the meta, there are a few things to watch out for.

Taunt: If I can't set up TR, I can't sweep.

Scizor: Scizor sweeps the entire team if it sets up SD and I don't score a burn with Starmie's Scald. Fortunately Reflect Type sees use here.

Bisharp: Same case as Scizor, except slightly easier to play around.

Aegislash and Ghost Monos: If Aegislash has SD, RIP Psychic.

Bug Monos: Nothing really wants to take Bug STAB on this team. Fortunately Victini cleans Bug late-game. Unbound also helps out with Fire Punch.

Hoopa-Unbound: I have nothing for this.

Ultimate Waifu (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball

Perfect Cell (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Victory (Victini) @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick Room

Git Gud (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Energy Ball

Superstar (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Da Bulk Tho (Deoxys-Defense) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Toxic

Replays of me showing off the team ;D

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-264139692 vs. Flying

More to come soon!

scpinion Notice me Senpai!

Last edited:
I'm glad that my team inspired you to make this. As you can see, i haven't really been too active lately. I just now did a rate for Josh's team, so I'll do one for you either tomorrow or within the next few days.

In the meantime, enjoy a this hilarious replay showcasing the brokeness of Abra. Note that it's a joke team that I generally only use if I'm messing around mid ladder or against friends OR in the finals of tours. This might give you an idea or two for the team, however.
When is Abra getting a suspect?

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, I love a good trick room team and this team looks nice. Couple small suggestions though.

1) Try this set on Deo-D, because you're wasting some EVs.
Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 188 Spe
Bold Nature
IVS: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

This set does the exact same thing you want, but better. 188 Spe is enough to outspeed jolly base 70s, most notably of them are breloom, and taunt (or thunder wave) them. 252+ doesn't accomplish a whole lot more, but the extra defense is invaluable. 0 Atk and Bold minimizes foul play damage, while that may be situational there's no reason not to do it. Since you're opting for a Deo-D set without recover, longevity isn't really your goal with him anyways. So Thunder Wave is probably better, as it can cripple faster opponents a lot better than toxic as well as sometimes net you free hazards due to full para.

2) I'd recommend changing reflect type on Starmie. While being honest I have never tried it in Monotype, I have used reflect type Starmie in OU and it's quite underwhelming, and doesn't help much. Drop Thunderbolt in that spot instead imo, you have no electric coverage on this team and it fits better.

3) Energy Ball, like Thunderbolt, helps with water monos I guess? Lol. I don't think a mixed hoopa-u fits great on this team, a purely physical one is a lot better. That move spot can just go to more coverage, and thanks to hoopa-u's excellent move pool you can just chose whatever you think you need coverage for and use it. Personally though, Gunk Shot fits a lot better. Might as well hit fairies supereffectively. Ice Punch is also a very decent option.

4) U-turn instead of Zen Headbutt on Victini might be a decent option. A psychic mono can live without a bit of psychic coverage, and the momentum is too much to bass up on. Plus it fucks hoopa-u up who is a big threat.

Everything else looks great, and overall this is a very cool looking team and I'll definitely test it out. Good job!

Hey there, I love a good trick room team and this team looks nice. Couple small suggestions though.

1) Try this set on Deo-D, because you're wasting some EVs.
Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 188 Spe
Bold Nature
IVS: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

This set does the exact same thing you want, but better. 188 Spe is enough to outspeed jolly base 70s, most notably of them are breloom, and taunt (or thunder wave) them. 252+ doesn't accomplish a whole lot more, but the extra defense is invaluable. 0 Atk and Bold minimizes foul play damage, while that may be situational there's no reason not to do it. Since you're opting for a Deo-D set without recover, longevity isn't really your goal with him anyways. So Thunder Wave is probably better, as it can cripple faster opponents a lot better than toxic as well as sometimes net you free hazards due to full para.

2) I'd recommend changing reflect type on Starmie. While being honest I have never tried it in Monotype, I have used reflect type Starmie in OU and it's quite underwhelming, and doesn't help much. Drop Thunderbolt in that spot instead imo, you have no electric coverage on this team and it fits better.

3) Energy Ball, like Thunderbolt, helps with water monos I guess? Lol. I don't think a mixed hoopa-u fits great on this team, a purely physical one is a lot better. That move spot can just go to more coverage, and thanks to hoopa-u's excellent move pool you can just chose whatever you think you need coverage for and use it. Personally though, Gunk Shot fits a lot better. Might as well hit fairies supereffectively. Ice Punch is also a very decent option.

4) U-turn instead of Zen Headbutt on Victini might be a decent option. A psychic mono can live without a bit of psychic coverage, and the momentum is too much to bass up on. Plus it fucks hoopa-u up who is a big threat.

Everything else looks great, and overall this is a very cool looking team and I'll definitely test it out. Good job!
Thunderbolt actually isn't a bad idea on Starmie tbh. I see why I should change the evs on deoxys-defense but thunder wave just seems so counterproductive when you are trying to be as slow as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)