ORAS OU Volt Turn Team Help

Hey everyone, I've been away from Pokemon for a bit and upon re-entry, I realized that either my game is off or I just don't have the team building chops I used to (most likely a bit of both). So today I come here looking for suggestions on the team building part of my problem. I'm stuck around 1400 maxing out at 1480 earlier today (well under my consistent 1600+ before) and am open to giving all suggestions a try.

Celebi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hydro Pump
- Scald

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Celebi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell/recover/psychic/earth power
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain

So just a little background info since I'm sure the sitrus berry looks a little odd. I initially built this team with item clause in mind. Currently I'm running a version of the team with leftovers on ladder, but since this Pokemon was initially built with item clause in mind I thought I'd show the set in it's original glory. Celebi is my glue Pokemon. Nasty pass Celebi allows me to break certain troublesome walls that otherwise give my team issues. When I built this team, I thought rotom-w was more popular than it actually appears to be and I continually switch between heal bell, recover, psychic and earth power trying to figure out what works best right now.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

One of the members of the volt turn core I initially set out to use, Manectric is an absolute animal. I decided on flamethrower over overheat since I'm using nasty pass celebi. The apparent rise in Hippo usage has made things tough for mega man, but with a nasty plot up mega man is nearly unstoppable. Manectric is one of the team members I'm most confident in and it almost always does something relevant each battle.

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hydro Pump
- Scald

E-belt Keldeo...it's a lure and...I think it works well on the team. It's hard to evaluate it's role on the team, but it racks up kills and helps take care of the otherwise annoying Heatran. E-belt felt like the right way to go so that I wouldn't lose too much momentum with my non volt turn user, but maybe a different item would be better.

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tank lando-T is a product of me not being with the times (I think). It doesn't seem to be working as well as I'd like, but the earth plate does allow me to break Clefable which is an issue for my team. Sometimes it works wonders, but most of the time I wish I had picked between bulky and offensive. I'm pretty sure the EVs need work too. I just don't know which direction would work best.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- Knock Off
- U-turn

This was a desperate attempt to maintain momentum while including a fairy check and a defogger. It works pretty well, but it's too difficult to switch in most of the time. I'm sure there's a better option in this slot, but overall scizor has done it's jobs well enough.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

This guy is an absolute momentum killer and doesn't really serve a great purpose other than breaking walls like twigs. I honestly have been trying to replace this guy for a while, but I just don't know the meta well enough.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help. I'll try to update with a threats list at some point.

Hello there, welcome to Smogon! Your team is lacking clear, detailed descriptions on your Pokemon. I highly recommend adding them to your thread, or it'll most likely be locked.

Good luck with your future endeavors!

Hello there, welcome to Smogon! Your team is lacking clear, detailed descriptions on your Pokemon. I highly recommend adding them to your thread, or it'll most likely be locked.

Good luck with your future endeavors!
I think you mean welcome back. ;) I have over 500 posts. I didn't put up extensive write ups for each Pokemon because I always assumed RMT was for teams in development (although looking at the rules I guess that either changed or a lot of people fail to realize that it is not). I'll post more complete write-ups when I reach a computer I guess.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I feel as if celebi is out of place on this team. I get the whole premise behind using it, because I have experienced first hand how fucking scary a +2 mega manectric can be. However, with the type of team you have now, it really just saps momentum from you and can be dead weight in many matchups, as it invited mons such as weavile and kyubes to wreck havoc upon you. To remedy this, I suggest using Klefki over celebi. Klefki still gives you team support, but in this instance, it gives you spikes and a secondary weavile check, as well as something to switch into latios. Furthermore, Klefki gives you a form of speed control in thunder wave, which can be really clutch as you struggle vs DDers like zard x.

Next, I feel as if offensive lando t fits over the bulky set you have right now. You said that you aren't sure of what set to run, but I feel as if offensive lando will do you wonders. It'll give you more speed to work with, and you can lure in shit like rotom and skarmory if you run smack down over knock off, which I feel will benefit your team more.

Finally, I feel as if you could potentially use bisharp over scizor. I don't feel too strongly about this change, but it does give you a solid set up sweeper that is brutal when paired with spike support. It also gives you an offensive way of dealing with strong psychic types such as lati@s and alakazam through the use of sucker punch. This change also lets you retain A fairy check, as well as give you a strong user of knock off. You do lose a defog user, so this may not be the most optimal change. I just feel that this may be something to try out.

Other than that, I like the team. Good luck.

Sets:

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Play Rough
- Thunder wave
- Magnet Rise

Landorus-T @ Earth Plate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Smack Down
- U-turn

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

I feel as if celebi is out of place on this team. I get the whole premise behind using it, because I have experienced first hand how fucking scary a +2 mega manectric can be. However, with the type of team you have now, it really just saps momentum from you and can be dead weight in many matchups, as it invited mons such as weavile and kyubes to wreck havoc upon you. To remedy this, I suggest using Klefki over celebi. Klefki still gives you team support, but in this instance, it gives you spikes and a secondary weavile check, as well as something to switch into latios. Furthermore, Klefki gives you a form of speed control in thunder wave, which can be really clutch as you struggle vs DDers like zard x.

Next, I feel as if offensive lando t fits over the bulky set you have right now. You said that you aren't sure of what set to run, but I feel as if offensive lando will do you wonders. It'll give you more speed to work with, and you can lure in shit like rotom and skarmory if you run smack down over knock off, which I feel will benefit your team more.

Finally, I feel as if you could potentially use bisharp over scizor. I don't feel too strongly about this change, but it does give you a solid set up sweeper that is brutal when paired with spike support. It also gives you an offensive way of dealing with strong psychic types such as lati@s and alakazam through the use of sucker punch. This change also lets you retain A fairy check, as well as give you a strong user of knock off. You do lose a defog user, so this may not be the most optimal change. I just feel that this may be something to try out.

Other than that, I like the team. Good luck.

Sets:

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Play Rough
- Thunder wave
- Magnet Rise

Landorus-T @ Earth Plate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Smack Down
- U-turn

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
I really like the Klefki suggestion. Certain cores always gave my team issues and thinking back on it, priority t-wave and spikes can really help swing some of those tougher matchups back in my favor.
252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 154-182 (36.6 - 43.3%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO after 3 layers of Spikes and Leftovers recovery
I even have a chance of breaking a full health hippo if I have 3 layers up with manectric. Klefki helps with Weaville like you said and can slow lopunny down a bit. The only issue I have is that electric types become a bigger problem for my team. Switching from Scizor to Bisharp would alleviate this slightly, but it'll still be an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)