CAP 3D Modeling Project

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
I know, and I can get it on my PC. they're just not happy about downloading stuff on local server.
I included a .dae file in the zip that includes the animation data which can be imported into Maya or 3DSMax, or whatever else.

Yveltal How's this?

Last edited:

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
*pretends to be yveltal*

:D I think it looks very good now. To make it more interesting, maybe aim the camera a bit more to his side and raise the left arm a bit more? The shiny part of the gems can be a bit smaller I think. Oh and nice spinning rocks ahhah. =P

I just got back to trying to import that .dae file. Maya 2016 isn't agreeing with it, sry. But yeah, more of what you did with the rocks next to the feet sickles and it'll be GOLDEN.

I'm gonna put a few hours into Pyroak, refining the animation buttons.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
To make it more interesting, maybe aim the camera a bit more to his side and raise the left arm a bit more?
I changed the camera angle slightly, but I don't want to break the rules too much here and have a camera angle that is completely different than the official Pokemon sprites. The only exception I make is to the back sprite, because the camera angle of those are inconsistent all around for most official Pokemon.

Also raised his left arm a bit.

The shiny part of the gems can be a bit smaller I think.
Yeah, I lowered the size of the specular there too.

Alright... So this is the final product then...? That is if everyone is happy with it. And I'm still gonna need the shiny textures.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Can you send me the updated files? I'll refine the textures a bit more =)
Updated files? I've not done anything to the texture files or anything... Unless you mean the animation file, though I don't know why you'd need that.

QxC4eva

Yeah the animation files, so I can see how it looks right away. Unless you want me to do an update, wait a day for you to render, then repeat? That will kinda take forever.

Do you guys have a preference for DropBox or Google Drive? I was thinking about making an easy way for everyone involved to access the most recent folders for a given CAP right away, and I think now would be a good time to get that started.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Do you guys have a preference for DropBox or Google Drive? I was thinking about making an easy way for everyone involved to access the most recent folders for a given CAP right away, and I think now would be a good time to get that started.
I personally use Dropbox, but I'm fine with either.

Golui

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ǝuᴉɟ sᴉ ƃuᴉɥʇʎɹǝʌƎ
Both are good, whichever suits you I guess. please don't forget to invite me too

DJTHED Stratagem looks amazing. The rotating pebbles are just <3

QxC4eva

I've been using this google folder for backups. Not everything is in but maybe it can start us off? I can give out permissions etc.

Oh and before I do Stratagem shiny, is this texture better or worse?

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
I've been using this google folder for backups. Not everything is in but maybe it can start us off? I can give out permissions etc.

Oh and before I do Stratagem shiny, is this texture better or worse?

Hmm... There's probably a bit too much realistic detail on the texture. Doesn't really fit. I'd have a look at the official textures from Pokemon like Onix:

Or Geodude:

Notice the simpler detail. Any creases or shaded areas contrast very well, which of course gives it the cartoony, cell-shaded look.

Oh, and I'm going to assume you didn't render that in Blender, as the outline colors match the colors of the actual model better (maybe a bit too much), and of course the outlines are drawn on the intersecting meshes, like with the eyes and head. I'm also assuming that the weird specular on the eyes isn't intentional and isn't part of the texture, yes?

DJTHED QxC4eva Quanyails Golui paintseagull Integer Mova DougJustDoug Layell Mos-Quitoxe KoA HeaLnDeaL noobiess

If you've been contributing to the thread and I forgot to ping you, please follow the instructions below:
Step 1. Stare at me with a lost-puppy face.
Step 2. PM me your email/gmail or dropbox email, I'll invite everyone to whichever one everyone has access to. But what I mean is, it'll prolly be a shared Dropbox unless there's a mass uprising for GDrive :P
(if you were pinged, you may choose to skip Step 1.)

We'll keep the newest stuff up front and any important old iterations in an "old" folder. I'll do the invites tomorrow afternoon, or after collecting enough emails with a majority preference.

EDIT - CAP mods and artists, let me know if you want access to the folder as well. I think only psg, QxC, DJ, and Quan will have the ability to edit and change files, but anyone invited can view and download stuff.

Last edited:

QxC4eva

koldrage -- How can you miss this very person who made me cry about my own modeling skills one year ago ;_;

Thanks for crit DJTHED, much appreciated :D I'll get to it asap.
Oh, and I'm going to assume you didn't render that in Blender, CORRECT as the outline colors match the colors of the actual model better (maybe a bit too much), CORRECT and of course the outlines are drawn on the intersecting meshes, like with the eyes and head. CORRECT I'm also assuming that the weird specular on the eyes isn't intentional and isn't part of the texture, yes? INCORRECT
You scored 3/4. The art and sprite has two highlights on the eyes so I tried to mimic that. Yeah, it looks pretty bad in 3D so it's been reverted now :P

QxC4eva

Alright, how's this? D:

Changelog:
  • re-did the texture and lighting for the head
  • scaled down the eyes a bit (the new outlines made them look bigger o.o)
  • adjusted the specular mapping for the eyes/gems
  • slightly darkened the outlines (DJTHED when you say the colors match too much, is it the brightness or saturation?)

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Alright, how's this? D:

Changelog:
  • re-did the texture and lighting for the head
  • scaled down the eyes a bit (the new outlines made them look bigger o.o)
  • adjusted the specular mapping for the eyes/gems
  • slightly darkened the outlines (DJTHED when you say the colors match too much, is it the brightness or saturation?)
Ah, that looks much better. The only thing I'd change now would to change the angle of the light source slightly so that not the entire head is fully lit for the front sprite, but other than that I think it's pretty much good to go.

slightly darkened the outlines (DJTHED when you say the colors match too much, is it the brightness or saturation?)
The saturation I suppose, but either way, darkening them is fine.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys.

I just downloaded Blender recently, and despite having no idea how it works, I would really like to work on the CAP Prevos. I'll obviously watch some videos and nerd up on it soon, but I would really like to contribute.

Invites were sent for our fancy new shared Google Drive folder!
We'll organize it as we go, but as you upload stuff, do keep a naming convention or a document somewhere in your folders so we know who edited what last ^_^

I would also encourage everyone to make a folder with their name on it as well.

I uploaded my recovered Pyroak files, I'll update it tonight with a few more edits. skin weights are missing, long story involving a crash...

EDIT- if you would like to keep your email private, PM me and I can give you a link to the drive.

Last edited:
I just want to say something to the wireframe designers. All of these are amazing. The designs look great, and make all of the CAP's look that much better. Good job, and keep up the good work.

QxC4eva

I looked back at my composite formula and the hue/saturation calcs seem to be wrong. It works ok for Stratagem's shiny but for the normal, somehow the outline of the rocks turn red when I lower the sat value. My code was based off this so I've no idea why it's not working (maybe I should used RGB to HSL and not HSV??) Anyhow, I ended up with a hack that goes like this- get the fill color, calc the luminance (0.3r+0.59g+0.11b), average it with the fill color's RGB then half it. For example if a rock pixel is #d79760 its outline will become #5f4f41, which is a darker / less saturated brown. That seems to work so far but will keep testing.

In layman terms, I wrote a wall of code just to fix something only DJTHED will notice. XD Oh well

Changelog:
  • adjusted the light angle for the head
  • reverted the brightness and lowered the saturation of the outlines
  • re-did the texture for the back of the head
  • auto detection & removal of isolated pixels, like at the tip of the claws
  • [BETA] implemented 2D tracking for the eye specular (so they don't flicker as much)
  • added shiny textures!

Now I'm not even close to a decent 3D artist but about the 2D tracking for the eye, I actually think the eye specular appears to move slightly left when the head movement reaches its lowest point.

It might be just me but it just really throws me off to see the shine move a pixel left suddenly like that.

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
I looked back at my composite formula and the hue/saturation calcs seem to be wrong. It works ok for Stratagem's shiny but for the normal, somehow the outline of the rocks turn red when I lower the sat value. My code was based off this so I've no idea why it's not working (maybe I should used RGB to HSL and not HSV??) Anyhow, I ended up with a hack that goes like this- get the fill color, calc the luminance (0.3r+0.59g+0.11b), average it with the fill color's RGB then half it. For example if a rock pixel is #d79760 its outline will become #5f4f41, which is a darker / less saturated brown. That seems to work so far but will keep testing.

In layman terms, I wrote a wall of code just to fix something only DJTHED will notice. XD Oh well

Changelog:
  • adjusted the light angle for the head
  • reverted the brightness and lowered the saturation of the outlines
  • re-did the texture for the back of the head
  • auto detection & removal of isolated pixels, like at the tip of the claws
  • [BETA] implemented 2D tracking for the eye specular (so they don't flicker as much)
  • added shiny textures!
That looks really great. I'd consider this good to go for PS.

Now I'm not even close to a decent 3D artist but about the 2D tracking for the eye, I actually thing the eye specular appears to move slightly left when the head movement reaches its lowest point.

It might be just me but it just really throws me off to see the shine move a pixel left suddenly like that.
Things looking like this is a pretty common problem when you completely remove anti-aliasing and texture filtering. Not much we can do about it, as that's how the official models are rendered in-game as well.

Things looking like this is a pretty common problem when you completely remove anti-aliasing and texture filtering. Not much we can do about it, as that's how the official models are rendered in-game as well.
I bow to your expertise. Thanks for the explanation.

QxC4eva

Zephias thanks for bringing that up! I only started coding the engine yesterday, and the tracking part still needs a lot of work. The bug you saw was a rounding error (which is now fixed). I also upped the resolution of the specular pass so it can pinpoint their coordinates better. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)