Other Metagames [Metagamiate ORAS] Rocky Relationships

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, after extensive research, I have concluded that I have to make a 0.5k... so, uh, here have a Metagamiate team. Click the link for the thread. Honestly though, Metagamiate is probably one of my favorite OMs and it's been since last time it's been OMOTM in 2014! So uh, Welcome to OM Room's Rocky Relationships team! Don't expect a banner to be finished anytime soon btw

Teambuilding

Well, first off I was starting with a very meta-relevant pokemon in the metagame, Terrakion which was to become my 1st Noivern Check

Next off, I added breloom as my Slowbro check, with the combination of Spore and a Super-Effective STAB Facade easily takes out Slowbro.

Having two fighting types on one team leaves me with a huge psychic weakness, so I added Choice Scarf Victini to deal with that, as well as Mega Medicham.

To complete the Fire / Water / Grass core, I added Gyarados which can easily set up on most of the meta and can muscle past most of it's checks at +1.

Deciding to steal laxlapras' amazing forretress set, I added it onto my team to deal with Zygarde's Espeed and to be a Rapid Spinner.

As my last mon, I added thundurus, a very reliable flying type, as well as being a noivern check. I decided to go mixed until I realized that there was a very reliable RestTalk set that could get set up on a few mons.

Soon enough, I realized my team was insanely weak to Mega Scizor, as such I switched out Victini for Talonflame, which still kept skarmory in check, but also deals with opposing Forretress.

Soon enough, I realized my team basically auto-loses to Zygarde, so I replaced breloom with Whimsicott, which also was my final noivern check, as well as dealing with slowbro.

Finally, I realized I was wasting a Mega Slot, and dropped a Mega Stone on Gyarados, which also improved my teams viability against Slowbro and Doublade.

The Team

ROCKY RELATIONSHIPS
Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Intrinsic Ability: Sedimentiate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Now, thanks to Metagamiate's play being about giving -ates for every type, I'll be telling you the Intrinsic -ates after the ability. Anyways, thanks to Sedimentiate, Terrakion's Return becomes a 132.6 base power move, and Quick attack becomes a 52 power move. The reason for running Choice scarf is that it allows me to outpace Noivern, Scarf Victini, Talonflame and others. Close Combat is a basic secondary STAB, whilst Earthquake is coverage allowing it to hit doublade.

Field Day
Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Intrinsic Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpA
Bold Nature
- Nature Power
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- U-turn
Not only does Whimsicott offer a reliable Priority STAB in Nature Power, which becomes Tri attack normally. Whimsicott also has access to an annoying combination of Substitute and Leech Seed, which allows it to break slowbro on most occasions. EVs are set so that it can OHKO Noivern after 10% prior damage, while still having the maximum bulk possible. U-turn, provides momentum and allows me to switch into other mons to counter / check the mon that came in.

Burd
Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
Intrinsic Ability: Pyrate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Brave Bird

Just your regular smogon bird, Swords Dance boosts, Brave Bird is an 120 power STAB priority move, quick attack is secondary priority that hits most steel types and Return is basic Fire STAB which allows it to muscle past Forretress, M-Scizor, Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Not only that but thanks to Gale Wings, Talonflame becomes an insane revenge killer with the ability to deal with Non-feint Weavile, Whimsicott, etc.

Dark Waters
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Intrinsic Ability: Aerilate ---> Tenebrate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Return
- Earthquake

Gyarados is probably my switch-in for everything and I mean everything. Thanks to intimidate and a great typing, Gyarados can take on some of the most fearsome pokemon in the metagame, such as Scizor, Opposing Gyarados, Non-Shiny Landorus-T, etc. Upon mega evolving, Gyarados becomes a very threatening sweeper, capable of dealing with most bulky psychics / ghosts at +1.

BOOM GOES THE CANNON
Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Intrinsic Ability: Metallate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
Forretress is my basic Rapid Spinner, dealing with entry hazards and leech seed. Not only that, it's also able to set up its own hazards, as well as defensively check Weavile and physical Diancie-M, Terrakion etc.
Unfortunately, it's downsides are still there, bulky waters easily deal with forretress, and due to the passiveness of forretress, it basically momentum sucks until you use a 300 Power Explosion. However, it fills what I need it to fill. Thanks to LaxLapras for that n_n

Genie of no wishes
Thundurus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Return

Meet one of the best sets i've seen in a long time, RestTalk Thundy! Once it's at +1 or +2, Thundy can easily roll through unprepared teams, with combinations of 100% / Status Healing, as well as Priority Return, Thundurus serves as one of my most essential late game sweepers, and Landorus-T / Noivern checks.

Threatlist:

Arcanine: This mon is just so versatile that it's really hard to find a complete counter not named slowbro, Will-O-Wisp reks Gyarados, Choice Band Reks Everything, etc.

Slowbro: Once Gyarados dies, it's up to Whimsicott to subseed this thing to death. It's just that insane of a physical wall.
Zygarde: Best mon in the meta at the moment, I need whimsicott alive to deal with it, It's able to just Coil + Extreme Speed away most of my team.

Importable:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpA
Bold Nature
- Nature Power
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- U-turn

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Thundurus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Don't have to look below.
Shoutouts
nv Yes, I did promise you first shoutout. Grats on VIP, etc. now get that OM submitted y/y
%nv when?

Ransei Ez Mewtwo Catch

Quantum Tesseract > Keeping a custom title from a dead challenge

Angry2 Change Avi y/y

megaqwer:D Keep being positive :D

InfernapeTropius11 Can't predict Bad Players tbh

unfixable: Unfixable no ;;

Dr. Phd. BJ Here, have a shoutout.

Deathly ♛The King Thanks for making me to get a name change

LaxLapras I can't just thank you without giving you a shoutout can I?

ScorrchingTheaph Not sure why, but you asked for it.

Plasmaan He kind of introduced me into the people below by forcejoining me there :>

deetah n_n

don't lose hmm.... idk what to say here lmao, ur great tho.

todredrob keep keeping jirachi strategist from attacking me, thx.

Sanjay. I'm thanking you later :^)

Bon Dance Bae dance :o

Lunarixis [Insert Moon Pun here]

Joey06 so, why is dustox broken again?

Just PM/VM me if I forgot you n_n

Proof of Peak:

Replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/metagamiate-349226544 vs E4 Flint
More to come as I fight people

Welp, thanks for reading!

Last edited:
So, thoughts, as a result of extensive battling beating that team up a lot while trying to snipe you on ladder.

This team is very weak to priority spam. By just clicking attacks, its relatively easy to wear you down. For instance, you have all of one flying resist, and if you switch that in on tflames flare blitz expecting a brave bird, next time talonflame comes in you lose a mon, while potentially leaving tflame alive to hit yet another mon. You have similar, if less pronounced, issues with atespeed, too.

For this reason, I'd like to suggest bulky gyarados>offensive gyarados. With a set of
Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

It can easily set up multiple times in the match, switch into priority, and heal status with ease.

Cool team, and hope this helps.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
I think your team is really weak to Noivern, I recommend the following changes to better the team:

Terrakion --> Mr. Mime
Whimsicott --> Mr. Mime
Talonflame --> Mr. Mime
Gyarados --> Mr. Mime
Keep Forretress
Thundurus --> Mr. Mime

upload_2016-3-25_11-56-10.png

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think your team is really weak to Noivern, I recommend the following changes to better the team:

Terrakion --> Mr. Mime
Whimsicott --> Mr. Mime
Talonflame --> Mr. Mime
Gyarados --> Mr. Mime
Keep Forretress
Thundurus --> Mr. Mime

View attachment 59214
But then I'd autolose to Arcanine D:

So, thoughts, as a result of extensive battling beating that team up a lot while trying to snipe you on ladder.

This team is very weak to priority spam. By just clicking attacks, its relatively easy to wear you down. For instance, you have all of one flying resist, and if you switch that in on tflames flare blitz expecting a brave bird, next time talonflame comes in you lose a mon, while potentially leaving tflame alive to hit yet another mon. You have similar, if less pronounced, issues with atespeed, too.

For this reason, I'd like to suggest bulky gyarados>offensive gyarados. With a set of
Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

It can easily set up multiple times in the match, switch into priority, and heal status with ease.

Cool team, and hope this helps.
That actually might be a good idea, but I'd be wasting a Mega Slot... I'll try it out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)