Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Groudon is banned in Battle Spot; your best bet for a more informed opinion is to ask in the Ubers simple questions thread. However, I'd go with Lava Plume every time as the increased burn chance synergises really well with Groudon's bulk and makes up for the drop in power.

Is this for Battle Spot Free Battles bud? If you're talking about 6v6 you should probably go to the Ubers forum like Pyritie suggested; I think you're in the wrong place haha
Nah, im going to a local 6v6 singles No restrictions competition but only 2 legendaries are allowed so im using groudon.

Anyone have any advice on how to use mega kang effectively. I always struggle to find a situation to set it up and it usually ends up getting burned or completely walled by a ghost type.

Anyone have any advice on how to use mega kang effectively. I always struggle to find a situation to set it up and it usually ends up getting burned or completely walled by a ghost type.
Screens can help a lot in setting up, as can Baton Pass. I've seen Boaziken BP Bulk Ups to Kang, and that can be really hard to stop. Sub is an interesting move on Kang, and can possibly score you free set up opportunities as well.

Quite a few ways to deal with burn. First is aforementioned Sub, but that doesn't help with stuff faster. Facade can use the burn or other status against the foe, as a 140 BP STB move with no drawbacks in that situation. Running something to switch in on the burn and/or heal Kang through Healing Wish or Lunar Dance is also good. Examples dpfpr these kinds of things are Cress, Clefable, and Chandelure. Going special on Kang is quite unexpected, and can get past most of its usual checks ok, though it is a lot weaker overall.

Ghost types are why you run Scrappy pre mega and don't always go mega immediately. Even without the Parental Bond few ghosts appreciate getting hit by a normal STAB, and even bulky ones are at the very least at risk of paralysis from Secret Power. Predicting a ghost switch and using PuP can also give you an edge. Crunch instead of the more common Sucker Punch prevents ghosts from playing around you with WoW and Sub or whatever.

The most common Kang can't really touch most ghosts at all once mega, but I really like Rock Slide, and that does a decent amount to Gengar while possibly flinch haxing most other ghosts. Odd special Kang can get around most ghosts with Shadow Ball, but is even easier for Mega Sableye to set up on, and Aegislash is still a problem. Both of those you can kinda deal with through some combination of PuP boosts, Secret Power or para support, and Rock Slide flinch hax. EQ and Crunch are also really nice for Aegi and lots of other ghosts besides.

EVs are ba big thing too. Some mons do max/Max spreads, but I don't think that's best for Kang. I run 140 HP/ 252+Atk/ 4 Def/ 12 SpD/ 100 Spe for instance.

so which mega is easier to set-up in battlespot doubles??

mega charizard-x or mega sala??

also which of the 2 can expect to survive longer??

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head

Charizard X is pretty niche in BSD for the most part. Salamence's Intimidate, Ground immunity, better Speed tier and ability to go mixed is just generally more useful, and it doesn't necessarily run Dragon Dance either since it's already doing absurd damage without needing to set up. Charizard does have surprise factor since they're almost always Charizard Y, but as a whole, Mega Salamence is far better.

Char-X is only ever better if you have a big Ice or Fairy issue. In basically all other circumstances, Mence is better and very viable in Doubles. Clefairy + Mence used to be very popular (Season 13 I want to say?) but has calmed down ever since; imo it's not a bad strategy at its core, most people just left themselves very open to Icy Wind. Mega Gardevoir also rose up fast as MegaMence did, which hurt Mence a ton.
Char-X can go mixed too btw, it has higher Sp. Atk than MegaMence. >_>

Mence doesn't need to set up in general though; which is a good thing. Char-X generally does need a boost. imo, Mence does best in a supportive Rain team, but can be used in basically any non-TR team if you know what you're doing. If you don't know what you're doing, or just want constructive criticism, we do have a teambuilding workshop and a few people (like me) that will help. ^_^

Don't try to use it against ghosts and things with will-o-wisp. If you're running PuP, you want to bring it in on stuff thats already weakened usually so you can finish it off with PuP. Or use it against stuff that doesnt threaten it too much like Mamoswine. You could also try not running PuP at all. People often drop PuP and just go for an all out attacker set with Fake Out and 3 other moves between Double Edge, Ice Punch, Earthquake, Sucker Punch, Ice Beam, Fire Punch, etc. Kang has a lot of solid options, if you find that setting up and sweeping isn't working for your playstyle you could always try something else(or just a different mega).

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there any use at all for a Jolly Charizard? I have one in my box and have no idea to do with it, it is rather sad.

Is Icy Wind a bad idea on Cress in Singles? Many have Ice Beam and t-wave, so I'm wondering if IWVand Toxic could work too. There still some form of Spe control, and Toxic breaks lots of stuff. The common steels immune to Toxic are mostly untouchable to Cress, so you're not losing out against them because of running Toxic.

Icy Wind also isn't that much weaker than Beam given Cress' very low uninvested SpA and lack of STAB.

Is Icy Wind a bad idea on Cress in Singles? Many have Ice Beam and t-wave, so I'm wondering if IWVand Toxic could work too. There still some form of Spe control, and Toxic breaks lots of stuff. The common steels immune to Toxic are mostly untouchable to Cress, so you're not losing out against them because of running Toxic.

Icy Wind also isn't that much weaker than Beam given Cress' very low uninvested SpA and lack of STAB.
If you're not running a lot of Sp. Atk / Expert Belt, I would actually suggest Icy Wind for the same reasons Garchomp uses Rock Tomb over Stone Edge.
Nail a switch-in with Icy Wind; even if it resists, it'll hate it, and for Garchomp you can easily outrun it after Icy Wind with a small sprinkle of EVs. Also offsets DD setups ya know.

If you're not running a lot of Sp. Atk / Expert Belt, I would actually suggest Icy Wind for the same reasons Garchomp uses Rock Tomb over Stone Edge.
Nail a switch-in with Icy Wind; even if it resists, it'll hate it, and for Garchomp you can easily outrun it after Icy Wind with a small sprinkle of EVs. Also offsets DD setups ya know.
Yea, I'm running 60 Spe EVs like you suggest on your doubles Cress. I'm not sure why Toxic and IW are less common than Ice Beam and t-wave, especially IW which is on only 1.3% of Cress(I read it as 11 something the first time, which still seemed low. 1% is just ridiculously low, it's not like Cress is some super hard hitter that really benefits from that extra 25 base pow. I guess accuracy is a consideration, tho 95 is pretty good.)

And resists is another big deal. Lots of stuff hates avSpe drop, but just about anything resistant or most stuff neutral can take a Uce Beam just fine from uninvested Cress. Also, Helmet damage makes up for lower BP on stuff like Chomp, and IW 2HKOs Landog without bulk naturally.

Yea, I'm running 60 Spe EVs like you suggest on your doubles Cress. I'm not sure why Toxic and IW are less common than Ice Beam and t-wave, especially IW which is on only 1.3% of Cress(I read it as 11 something the first time, which still seemed low. 1% is just ridiculously low, it's not like Cress is some super hard hitter that really benefits from that extra 25 base pow. I guess accuracy is a consideration, tho 95 is pretty good.)

And resists is another big deal. Lots of stuff hates avSpe drop, but just about anything resistant or most stuff neutral can take a Uce Beam just fine from uninvested Cress. Also, Helmet damage makes up for lower BP on stuff like Chomp, and IW 2HKOs Landog without bulk naturally.
Well, Cress generally dissuades Ground type switch-ins, making T-Wave very appealing, and T-Wave is also permanent bar Roserade and Heal Bell/Aromatherapy/Rest, while Icy Wind resets on on the ever-spammed switches of singles. Icy Wind kinda condenses the two.

Well, Cress generally dissuades Ground type switch-ins, making T-Wave very appealing, and T-Wave is also permanent bar Roserade and Heal Bell/Aromatherapy/Rest, while Icy Wind resets on on the ever-spammed switches of singles. Icy Wind kinda condenses the two.
The main point to Icy Wind is some Spe control and Ice coverage while freeing up a slot for Toxic. Toxic is just great in general, in particular allowing Cress to whittle mirrors, Rotoms, and non Taunt Talonflame.

The dumbfuck kid that just beat me was running one of my old, abandoned sets and reminded me of it (He won thanks to a double miss on my rock slide + double miss on Icy Wind; this kid was spamming Grass Knot Mega Gardevoir against my Rocky Helmet Cress; GK makes contact and has trash power on cress. How this guy ever got above 1500...).

Anyway, key point: how much physical bulk does Mega Gardevoir generally run? Modest / Timid sets, not TR ones.
Modest @ 100 HP / 252 Def is just barely enough to survive Jolly Return from Mega Kang, and I'm assuming most people don't invest that heavily?
And I thought Char-Y's physical bulk was cringeworthy lol.

edit: Assuming Doubles for everything above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)