A world with no gods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Ksh13 for not asking for approval beforehand but I'll probably forget about this thing tomorrow and it's a really good yet complex idea. I hope you understand, specially after reading this.

The idea

If you read the title you may know where this is heading. The idea is to make one last VGC'15 tournament before Gen 6 is forgotten.

Reasons

My reasons for this are quite simple: a lot of people don't like this format. I've seen countless complaints on Twitter, Showdown and even here, plus a lot of players losing interest in the scene and even some dropping VGC this year like the 2014 World Champion Se Jun Park. It's not hard to see why people would dislike this format: big 6 has won countless events by now, even winning Korean Nationals and the room for innovation on teams is really little, as only few Pokemon can play head to head with the likes of Primal Groudon, Xerneas, and Primal Kyogre.

Why VGC'15 over any other format?

Many reasons. First of all, the format is still playable although the level of competence of the BSD ladder has decreased due to many VGC people just forgetting about VGC'15. Secondly, it's the most recent format which means it's still fresh, allowing people to still build and play the format. Last, but not least, VGC'15 is the most popular PLAYABLE format at this time, as we can't play VGC'13 in the DS. This opens yet another question...

Tournament settings?

What would be the tournament platform? PO, PS! or in-game?
What about the date and time? Should this tournament be a live tournament or it should be a weekly round based tournament, like the NPA or other tournaments?
Many questions can be asked about this matter, but that's honestly up to you to decide. I just want to have fun: no prestige, no prizes, no salt. If you enjoy playing, you're welcome.

The ruleset

Should we have the same settings that 2015 had? Or should we let this year events, like Static Zapdos, travel back in time for one last VGC'15 tournament. That is, again, up to you.

The main objective of this thread

The reason to make this thread is to allow the community to discuss and decide how they want this tournament to be, something that isn't really done with other tournaments anywhere. Why, you may ask? The objective of the tournament is to ENJOY one last VGC'15 tournament. I want this to be a memorable and fun experience, so the people playing the tournament should see which ways of making this tournament will make it the enjoyable experience it is meant to be. I already got quite some positive feedback regarding this issue, so i expect the same to happen here.

I also want to collab with the current Battle Spot forums, which is why the most active of our members there, ProjectTitan313 , should take a look at this thread.

Hoping this actually works, i must give you my thanks for reading this long text. With that said, I'm out. Have a nice day, as always!

I'm heading to bed atm, and am busy as fuck tommorow. But I swear to god I will message you on Tuesday for this; believe me I'm on board.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I would prefer PS! or in game because I don't know what PO is. If we play in game I would prefer HA birds and the very viable HA Golems to be banned. I think a weekly round tournament would probably be better or one like the group pool play last year.

I would prefer PS! or in game because I don't know what PO is. If we play in game I would prefer HA birds and the very viable HA Golems to be banned. I think a weekly round tournament would probably be better or one like the group pool play last year.
I agree with most of it. if the HA birds are in, then the HA golems should be in too.

I'll participate as long as it takes place in-game; I'm not a fan of playing matches on Showdown. I think i'd slightly prefer a weekly round-based tournament, as it makes scheduling a little easier and helps build up hype between matches. I'm not really bothered either way though. I think the ruleset should be the same as it was during VGC '15, otherwise we might as well just call this a Battle Spot Doubles tournament, which eliminates some of the sentiment behind doing this.

I'll participate as long as it takes place in-game; I'm not a fan of playing matches on Showdown. I think i'd slightly prefer a weekly round-based tournament, as it makes scheduling a little easier and helps build up hype between matches. I'm not really bothered either way though. I think the ruleset should be the same as it was during VGC '15, otherwise we might as well just call this a Battle Spot Doubles tournament, which eliminates some of the sentiment behind doing this.
Yeah I agree that cartridge is the way to go with timer restrictions and everything, so that we are actually doing VGC. Same with the weekly rounds, though we still might want something a little more condensed schedule-wise so that people do not drop out in preparation for other events.

What ruleset differences are there? I don't see why we wouldnt want to use HA birds and golems as they would be legal this time around unless they really change the meta and we would need time to adapt to things. I don't think that will be the case though.

I would vote cart. Nobody uses Pokemon Online anymore, and I still cringe over PS myself but I'll do it if I have to.
As for mons like HA Golems, HA Birds, HA Dogs should we be so blessed... there's a bit of a debacle there. HA Golems and Birds aren't a huge meta shift though, I see no reason to ban our shiny new toys. No one uses Articuno, Moltres, Registeel, or Regice. I was the only person who ever ran Regirock and even then it was arguably better with Clear Body anyway, since that allowed it to check Landog and hard counter MegaMence.
If we get HA Johto Beasts though... those three might be a strong enough force to actually hold an argument.

I also finally achieved a lifetime goal of 1700 ranking on BSD, and everything is VGC15 legal. I guess I'll wait to post the RMT and such until after I devour a few souls like the ginger I am in a tourney.
That said, I am still spited by retail so I work all day Friday + Saturday, plus Sunday morning. Which, as usual, limits my... opportunities. :<

But considering we're still in my fervently worshipped metagame I will of course help any way I can if I'm not able to attend the battlefield myself.

I know there are those that prefer PS and those that prefer In game. I'd suggest allowing both, as there will be those who prefer one over the other. In game means no glitches affect the game, but PS is a lot more accessible for people. A weekly round would be useful with the array of timezones needing to cover.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
I don't know how to use Pokemon Online but I'm ok with either in-game or Pokemon Showdown. Looking forward to this :)

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
I'd go with PS just for simplicity sake and since it will draw a larger number of players. The legendary dog and bird trios aren't super relevant anyways so I'd say let them use their new abilities, as they only buff them ever so slightly. If you ban those abilities it adds another level of complexity of "do I need to go through all these replays and make sure they weren't cheating", and this would become even worse of a problem if you decided to do it on cartridge.

I'd go with PS just for simplicity sake and since it will draw a larger number of players. The legendary dog and bird trios aren't super relevant anyways so I'd say let them use their new abilities, as they only buff them ever so slightly. If you ban those abilities it adds another level of complexity of "do I need to go through all these replays and make sure they weren't cheating", and this would become even worse of a problem if you decided to do it on cartridge.
Johto Beasts aren't released yet so those should stay banned for now, tbh.
Birds/Golems though, I don't think anyone has a problem with them so those would be fine imo.

Assuming the tournament's at a time that I can actually play, I'm in! Looking forward to dusting off the old CM Cress team for one last tournament. I'd be most comfortable with in-game, but PS! would work as well.

Last edited:
Mmm,sounds interesting.Long time not to practise BSD this season but I could try.If it's not during this weekend I am in.Either SD and in-game are fine for me.

Yo guys I've listened to all your opinions, and after studying different tournaments formats I came up with a ruleset that may be more enjoyable. Sign-ups are tomorrow, hope to see you all there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)