Resource ORAS OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all of the Volcanion, I'm a bit surprised that Specs Chandelure never caught on. I know its bulk is worse, but it hits neutral targets harder due to higher special attack and also boasts 3 immunities or the ability to hit through substitutes.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
what are your guys opinion on kyurem-black in the current metagame. And what are your opinions on the specs set?
Might as well answer your question.

To be honest Kyurem-B has definitely fallen out of favor recently, mostly because of meta trends and how it faces a ton of competition from other wallbreakers such as Mega Heracross, Mega Medi, Volcanion, CB Terrak and CB T-tar. Its typing is also a big issue for it defensively atm, considering how common Clef is and other things such as Mega Diancie, Mega Scizor, Scarf T-tar, offensive Chomp, and Jirachi. It lacks the raw power of Mega Medi, the more useful defensive typing and coverage of Mega Heracross, and it's not nearly as splashable as Volcanion or Tyranitar. The only meta trend that is somewhat in Kyurem-B's favor is the massive influx in Rotom-W, but it still hates being burned and EP doesn't even OHKO without some prior damage. It's not a bad Pokemon at all, but it just doesn't offer much over other wallbreakers, and the meta is so unkind to it.

Okay, let me just get this fucking clear (heil CrashinBoomBang) Specs Kyurem-B is a massive gimmick and it shouldn't be getting all this hype. Its success comes from its surprise value, which is now diminished entirely because people are using it like it's a standard set. If you take those tour matches with Specs Kyurem-B and throw a regular Kyurem on there, it would have literally accomplished the same thing if not more. Specs Kyurem always 2HKOes Clefable as well as Ferrothorn after SR, two things that apparently make Specs Kyurem-B good, but it can't even do that either. The ONLY thing black Kyurem has over regular Specs Kyurem is Teravolt, but lets look at what Teravolt is apparently useful for;

-Mega Venusaur is easily 2HKOed by Ice Beam and after SR it only needs a bit of prior damage to drop to Draco.
-Rotom-W loses to Draco Meteor
-SpD Skarm doesn't even come close to being OHKOed by Ice Beam from either

And yeah that's pretty much it, so clearly it doesn't make that much of a difference, the only notable Pokemon is Mega Venusaur which can't really do much back to it anyway. The extra 10 SpA is actually pretty noticeable as it achieves important 2HKOes on normal Kyurem-B switch-ins, and the extra 10 points in bulk isn't more significant than 2HKOing two of the most common Kyurem switch-ins in the tier. So in all honestly, at this point you're honestly just crippling yourself by using Specs Kyurem-B over regular Kyurem, because the surprise factor has worn off and Specs Kyurem actually has a niche in 2HKOing some pretty notable Pokemon.

Am I saying that Specs Kyurem is good and should be used over Kyurem-B? Hell no. Kyurem-B is still far superior because of its massive Attack stat which lets it run Fusion Bolt, Iron Head, or a Dragon STAB to break through special walls, and CB is really strong too. Its mixed and physical sets outclass Kyurem heavily. But my point is, Specs Kyurem-B is terrible and it needs to stop getting this hype. If you want to use Specs Kyurem-B, use Kyurem instead, or just use fucking mixed LO or CB instead of some shitty gimmick.

i see your point but volcanion isnt weak to the common pursuit users in the tier while also have slightly better bulk and typing chandelure. while chandulure has more resists than volc. it is weak to alot more common types and drops relatively easy. the lesser usage i electric types helps volcanion but the ground weakness and stealth rock still hurt both. volcanion while having a barren physical move pool actually has a usable attack stat and can be able to mixed sets. overall theres alot more thats going to threaten chandy the volcanion

Speaking of Thundurus-T,i find it pretty subpar imo. Thundurus itself is almost always a better choice as it at least has Priority Nasty Plot (and Agility but just use TWave) and just offers so much more utility to a team than Thundy-T does. Nevertheless, it's actually really fun to use alongside DD Lando (lol) as having two Double Dancers is actually incredibly scary to face as they virtually can break down the opposing team bear single-handedly depending on whether it be a more bulky team or offensive, the former however kinda just gets decimated.

The thing about Latias is you've got little justification of using it if you don't use Healing Wish. If you don't use it why not use Latios? If you use Healing Wish you either have to use Defog or Roost and then you lose out on recovery or and if you go Defog why not just use Jirachi then + Latios? Overall it's just kinda hard to justify using it unless it specifically fits the build you're creating, otherwise just stick to Latios.

Why not use Jirachi and Latios? Because Latias does both jobs and actually has the bulk to get a defog off. Latias lives a non-life orb shadow ball from Gengar while Latios doesn't and also has a chance to live Lopunny's return after fake out with leftovers. Latias gives you more room use a different pokemon or run ice punch on Jirachi so Garchomp doesn't destroy it.

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Latias has the bulk to check mons like lo thundy (and other electrics), volcanion, and keldeo much more solidly than latios so it's not like the only reason to use it is healing wish.

Why not use Jirachi and Latios? Because Latias does both jobs and actually has the bulk to get a defog off. Latias lives a non-life orb shadow ball from Gengar while Latios doesn't and also has a chance to live Lopunny's return with leftovers. Latias gives you more room use a different pokemon or run ice punch on Jirachi so Garchomp doesn't destroy it.
Um, yeah until you realize it does the job piss poor without Roost, then it just dies to the heavy pressure placed on it or you have to click HW dreadfully early to maintain a bit of your momentum. Jirachi is good btw, it's not like you're at a disadvantage for using it, I'd say you're at a disadvantage for using Latias + the fact you don't exactly need Healing Wish support, you just need it on Latias to justify using it which is a thorn in the side.

Also you shouldn't even keep Lati@s in on a Gengar anyway -.- bringing up points that fail in practice isn't the right way to argue.

e: the bulk thing is also pretty faulty considering you NEED Roost to even consistently check them and it just doesn't really have the room.

I think latias is a better defoger than latios because of the latter's bulk allows it switch in more times than latios would. i also think that healing wish from latias is more depended on because when a mon that can sweep is getting ready to faint latias gives it a second chance. latios memento helps in some cases but i think healing wish just provides more utility.
Memento on Latios is terrible. Latias is a more support more passive mon then latios. Latios is a lot less passive and outclasses Latias offensively in every way except speed

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Memento on Latios is terrible. Latias is a more support more passive mon then latios. Latios is a lot less passive and outclasses Latias offensively in every way except speed
Latias isn't really passive at all unless you use Mega Latias, which is a whole different story. Latias is outclassed by Latios for the most part, but it's definitely not passive, or at least you should't be using it that way. If you're using regular Latias it should be used exactly like Latios except on teams that are VERY weak to like Keldeo, Mega Mane, Thundy (eh Knock Off still fucks it) and Volcanion. Healing Wish is also nice, as it gives it more usefulness over Latios other than just a bit more bulk. Latios hits harder but not to a point where it makes Latias look passive, it's still strong enough, but it definitely misses out on certain things.

Latias isn't really passive at all unless you use Mega Latias, which is a whole different story. Latias is outclassed by Latios for the most part, but it's definitely not passive, or at least you should't be using it that way. If you're using regular Latias it should be used exactly like Latios except on teams that are VERY weak to like Keldeo, Mega Mane, Thundy (eh Knock Off still fucks it) and Volcanion. Healing Wish is also nice, as it gives it more usefulness over Latios other than just a bit more bulk. Latios hits harder but not to a point where it makes Latias look passive, it's still strong enough, but it definitely misses out on certain things.
Latias is kinda more passive then Latios and Latias is only good too besides checking keldeo and electrics if you also want a support mon to help and give support to set up sweepers that are worn down easily like mega pinsir and mega gyardos

what do yall prefer run in the forth slot of scarf mold breaker excadrill if you don't use it as your spinner?
If you're not, I would really, really recommend running choice scarf Lando-T. Yes, mold breaker is pretty sweet on a ground-type choice scarf user, but Lando-T's ability to abuse intimidate and access to U-turn make it the superior the vast majority of the time, even when Excadrill is running spin. Lando-T is more powerful, bulkier, and faster, and also can provide a crucial immunity to ground. Lando-T can also annoy things that would switch in on both it and excadrill easily, like tangrowth and opposing Lando-T, with knock off. I don't see the appeal of running Scarfed Excadrill at all unless you're in desperate need of a revenge killer and spinner.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I mean, Scarf Exca is kinda ass even with Rapid Spin imo, but without it yeah it's 100% worthless in comparison to Lando-T as a scarfer 'cause aside from being able to spam EQ without having to worry about random Levitators (and even then anyone who thinks Mold Breaker Exca works as a Rotom-W answer needs to take a minute to actually use their brain, cause it really struggles to come in against it (Wisp and Hydro are both disgusting for Exca) and noone in their right mind would switch Rotom-W into Excadrill once they see Mold Breaker unless it is locked into Iron Head/Spin/Rock Slide or it is blatantly obvious its not gonna quake) it misses out on the ability to gain momentum when it comes in to RK something, it misses out on the extra pivoting ability provided by Intimidate and it is noticably weaker. Quite honestly its not even a good spinner because a choice-locked Rapid Spin is literally the easiest thing in the world to abuse the f*ck out of while and it loses v.s. every notable rocker besides Heatran (which it can't even come in on) IIRC, so I don't quite understand what this obsession that the ladder has with it is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)