Monotype Stainless Steel, Peaked 1550, 82.5% GXE

[Monotype] Steel - Peaked 1550 (Still Going )

The finest steel
has to go
through the
hottest fire ..

Introduction

Hi guys, Jase Duken here, I am very new to the monotype tier in general, while I have always enjoyed reading the associated Monotype articles and materials, I never played till recently and thought I'd give it a go. I opted to begin playing with Mono Steel as that felt a natural fit given how much I love Mega Scizor.

While playtesting in the tier, I played around with a variety of cores and playstyles. I originally was playing with dual scarf with both Excadrill and Jirachi, however I recently substituted it for Shuca Calm Mind Jirachi creating another wincon in the process.

Anyways here is the team, I feel while this core is fairly stock standard for steel, taking origin from the OU tier, I opted for some specific niches to make my journey more fun.

Teambuilding Process

Heatran provides a much needed fire immunity with its ability, Flash Fire. It has has the ability to pressure a variety of pokemon and is a fairly self important piece of the team being able to pressure a variety of threats.

Mega Scizor was my designated mega of the team, with its dominance theres no better choice for a mega evolution in steel mono. Mega Scizor can single-handedly dismantle Fighting teams once Keldeo is checked or removed, I opted for fast Scizor to deal with fat pokemon like Rotom who are ev'ed for dealing with impish and careful Scizor. I simply wanted a pokemon that could hit hard and fast and scizor delivers.

Skarmory has a very important function in steel teams because it counters Steel's weaknesses extremely well. It has an immunity to Ground and a neutrality to Fighting, along with an excellent Defense stat whilst being able to have a number of functions in a standard team, this was a no brainer. It creates a natural affinity with Heatran to have that fire immunity creating a nice defensive wall.

Excadrill is the teams dedicated choice scarf user. Excadrill is a fast Physical attacker that provides extremely hard hitting STAB against Fire and Electric. Earthquake is its hardest hitting Physical STAB move, and Mold Breaker enables EQ to hit Levitate users such as the Rotoms and the Lati twins. Rock Slide is for Flying types such as Charizard and Zapdos; an extremely good coverage move. Iron Head is a secondary STAB move that is able to hit Fairies, Rock types, etc. Lastly Excadrill is also my main form of hazard removal with Rapid Spin.

No steel team is complete without Jirachi, this team is no excetion. Jirachi's solid defenses and typing allow it to check Fairy-, Dragon-, and Psychic-types, such as Mega Diancie, Kyurem-B, Latias, Latios, Clefable, and Mega Alakazam, and it notably is one of the best switch-ins to Mega Gardevoir and Mega Alakazam for bulky teams. Its movepool is huge, allowing it to take advantage of its balanced stats to perform a wide variety of roles. I opted for the Calm Mind set with Icy Wind, Psychic and Energyball coverage respectfully to deal with a variety of matchups.

For my final choice,Ferrothorn was a natural fit in that it has a lot to give as a defensive Pokemon. First and foremost, it has a great Grass / Steel typing and solid mixed bulk. Together, its unique set of resistances and bulk allow Ferrothorn to check a plethora of threats. In addition to this, Ferrothorn has access to a wide array of support moves such as Thunder Wave which the rest of the team greatly appreciates.

Team Description

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

The given EV spread lets Heatran outspeed a plethora of threats such as Adamant Excadrill and Jolly Mega Heracross, many threats are decimated by the combination of Magma Storm + HP Ice + Taunt. Other uses of the spread include outrunning Mega Tyranitar, standard stallbreaker Mew, Adamant Gyarados, Dragonite, Breloom, and Bisharp, giving Heatran the ability to fire off a powerful Magma Storm. Maximum Special Attack investment is given to hit as hard as possible, wearing down stall quicker and making Heatran more difficult to switch into when facing against offensive teams.

The given EVs allow Heatran to outrun everything up to Jolly Mega Scizor and Jolly Mega Heracross, allowing Heatran to pick them off or trap switch ins with Magma Storm. Lastly Air Balloon is used as naturally Ground-types, particularly Sand Rush Excadrill, pose a major threat steel teams in general.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Classic Scizor, really cant get any more simple than this. A simple spread of maximum Attack and Speed, along with an Adamant nature, allows Scizor to hit as hard and fast as possible. Mega evolution through the use of Scizorite, generally improves all of Scizor's relevant stats and makes it less vulnerable to Knock Off, while Light Metal before mega evolution allows Scizor to switch into low kick and grass knot taking less damage due to being lighter and since technician is gained after evolution this is purely a bonus for switching into weavile.

After a Swords Dance boost, Scizor transforms into an awesome offensive threat, capable of levelling teams with just Bullet Punch and Bug Bite. The former is both a good sweeping and revenge killing tool thanks to priority and boosts from Technician and STAB. Bug Bite further improves Scizor's coverage, hitting relevant threats such as Rotom-W, Celebi, Mega Slowbro, Jirachi, and Mega Venusaur harder so that Scizor does not have to rely on a weaker Bullet Punch.

A simple spread of maximum Attack and Speed, along with an Adamant nature, allows Scizor to hit as hard and fast as possible.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Skarmory runs full HP and Defense EVs to maximize physical bulk, its most valuable statistical trait. An Impish nature is used to maximize Skarmory's Defense without reducing its Speed or the power of Brave Bird. Leftovers offers Skarmory longevity.

Generally speaking is a good idea to keep Skarmory healthy if the opponent has a physical sweeper that can be stopped by its Whirlwind, such as Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados or Mega Pinsir. Despite Skarmory's array of resistances, its easily-exploited weaknesses to Fire- and Electric-type moves means it must be wary of switching into many attackers, even those that must use coverage moves to inflict super effective damage, such as Garchomp's Fire Blast and Latios's Thunderbolt. If keeping Skarmory alive is crucial, it is a good idea to scout for these moves by double-switching into Heatran and Excadrill respectfully.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Earthquake has great coverage with the help of Mold Breaker, allowing Excadrill to hit Rotom-W, Gengar, and the rare Bronzong for super effective damage, as well as Latios and Latias for neutral damage. Iron Head deals more damage to Fairy-types such as Clefable, Sylveon, and Mega Gardevoir. Rock Slide has great coverage alongside Earthquake and hits Flying-types such as Talonflame, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Dragonite, Tornadus-T, and Gyarados. Nothing else in Excadrill's movepool provides extra coverage, so Rapid Spin is the best option in the last slot, as it allows Excadrill to remove entry hazards, but it is a huge momentum killer.

Choice Scarf Excadrill is mainly a late-game cleaner and revenge killer, as it lacks the power that Life Orb Excadrill has and can find itself stopped by common bulky threats such as Hippowdon and Mega Scizor. Excadrill works best when these threats and Pokemon immune to Ground are weakened or removed so that it can spam Earthquake freely. Excadrill is also capable of revenge killing threats such as Mega Altaria at +1, Adamant Mega Charizard X at +1, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Aerodactyl. Earthquake is a very spammable move coupled with Mold Breaker, which means Excadrill should try to remove Flying-types outside of Skarmory and Landorus-T with Rock Slide on predicted switches.

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Calm Mind gives the team another win con pokemon and increases Jirachi's sp atk and sp def by 1 stage. Icy Wind lets Jirachi deal heavy damage to Ground- and Dragon-types that would otherwise take advantage of it, 2HKOing Garchomp, Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Dragonite. It can also be used to cancel out Speed boosts from an opposing setup sweeper so that one of Jirachi's teammates can KO it. Energy Ball lets Jirachi handle Hippowdon, Swampert, and Quagsire, which it would otherwise struggle against whilst Psychic complements coverage and deals with pesky fighting and poison types dealing super effecting damage.

Maximum Speed EVs, and a Timid nature let Jirachi outspeed alot of the unboosted metagame with its base 100 speed stat. By taking Shuca Berry, jirachi can deal with the likes of many threatening ground pokemon such as Landorus, Mamoswine, Garchomp and more and deal with them which puts less pressure on Skarmory and Heatran if Air Balloon is popped.

Damage Calculations

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Shuca Berry Jirachi: 212-251 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Shuca Berry Jirachi: 177-208 (51.7 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Jirachi: 230-270 (67.2 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Shuca Berry Jirachi: 163-193 (47.6 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Jirachi: 187-222 (54.6 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Jirachi: 188-224 (54.9 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Shuca Berry Jirachi: 199-235 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
Ferrothorn has a lot to love as a defensive Pokemon. First and foremost, it has a great Grass / Steel typing and solid mixed bulk. Together, its unique set of resistances and bulk allow Ferrothorn to check a plethora of threats. In addition to this, Ferrothorn has access to a wide array of support moves, such as Leech Seed, and Thunder Wave. Because it has decent offensive presence, Ferrothorn can be hard to switch into for many offensively-oriented teams.

The given EV spread with a Relaxed nature lets Ferrothorn fare well against both physically and specially oriented opponents. 168 Special Defense EVs give Ferrothorn enough special bulk to survive two Ice Beams from +3 Manaphy. Chople Berry is a useful item in that it allows Ferrothorn to take less damage from Fighting-types or the likes of Keldeo, Gengar, Mega Lopuny, Mega Herracross, Hawlucha, Mega Alakazam, Mega Gardevoir, and more and finally allow it to cripple them with Thunder Wave or OHKO the latter two with Gyro Ball respectfully.

Damage Calculations
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 107-127 (30.3 - 36%) -- 48.2% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 139-165 (39.4 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 93-111 (26.4 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 148-175 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 130-153 (36.9 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 118-139 (33.5 - 39.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 124-147 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 261-307 (74.1 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Importable

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-417631815

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-417259565

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-417937899

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-418202536

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-418205829

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-437903499

FIR Mentor Team
JasonWilliam for helping with the initial team
Pokemon Fire Island Ruins
Connor for aiding team in final stages

Hi, I'll drop a rate.

First off, I suggest using 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe instead of 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe. The speed EVs are generally uneeded compared to the huge boost in overall bulk provided by 252 HP, which is especially important on a set with roost like yours.
->
Bisharp seems to fit much better than Ferrothorn on this team, providing a secondary physical setup sweeper that can make holes in the opposing team to let scizor clean up. Knock Off is overall great utility to have, especially helping with the notorious eviolite core formed by p2 and chansey. Ferrothorn drains momentum and on an offensive team like this, that's a huge waste.
Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
That's all I have, that's a pretty cool team, especially the jirachi. good luck!

Hi, I'll drop a rate.

First off, I suggest using 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe instead of 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe. The speed EVs are generally uneeded compared to the huge boost in overall bulk provided by 252 HP, which is especially important on a set with roost like yours.
->
Bisharp seems to fit much better than Ferrothorn on this team, providing a secondary physical setup sweeper that can make holes in the opposing team to let scizor clean up. Knock Off is overall great utility to have, especially helping with the notorious eviolite core formed by p2 and chansey. Ferrothorn drains momentum and on an offensive team like this, that's a huge waste.
Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
That's all I have, that's a pretty cool team, especially the jirachi. good luck!
Thanks man!! and I will try the change and see how it goes :)

[Monotype] Steel - Peaked 1550 (Still Going )

The finest steel
has to go
through the
hottest fire ..

Introduction

Hi guys, Jase Duken here, I am very new to the monotype tier in general, while I have always enjoyed reading the associated Monotype articles and materials, I never played till recently and thought I'd give it a go. I opted to begin playing with Mono Steel as that felt a natural fit given how much I love Mega Scizor.

While playtesting in the tier, I played around with a variety of cores and playstyles. I originally was playing with dual scarf with both Excadrill and Jirachi, however I recently substituted it for Shuca Calm Mind Jirachi creating another wincon in the process.

Anyways here is the team, I feel while this core is fairly stock standard for steel, taking origin from the OU tier, I opted for some specific niches to make my journey more fun.

Teambuilding Process

Heatran provides a much needed fire immunity with its ability, Flash Fire. It has has the ability to pressure a variety of pokemon and is a fairly self important piece of the team being able to pressure a variety of threats.

Mega Scizor was my designated mega of the team, with its dominance theres no better choice for a mega evolution in steel mono. Mega Scizor can single-handedly dismantle Fighting teams once Keldeo is checked or removed, I opted for fast Scizor to deal with fat pokemon like Rotom who are ev'ed for dealing with impish and careful Scizor. I simply wanted a pokemon that could hit hard and fast and scizor delivers.

Skarmory has a very important function in steel teams because it counters Steel's weaknesses extremely well. It has an immunity to Ground and a neutrality to Fighting, along with an excellent Defense stat whilst being able to have a number of functions in a standard team, this was a no brainer. It creates a natural affinity with Heatran to have that fire immunity creating a nice defensive wall.

Excadrill is the teams dedicated choice scarf user. Excadrill is a fast Physical attacker that provides extremely hard hitting STAB against Fire and Electric. Earthquake is its hardest hitting Physical STAB move, and Mold Breaker enables EQ to hit Levitate users such as the Rotoms and the Lati twins. Rock Slide is for Flying types such as Charizard and Zapdos; an extremely good coverage move. Iron Head is a secondary STAB move that is able to hit Fairies, Rock types, etc. Lastly Excadrill is also my main form of hazard removal with Rapid Spin.

No steel team is complete without Jirachi, this team is no excetion. Jirachi's solid defenses and typing allow it to check Fairy-, Dragon-, and Psychic-types, such as Mega Diancie, Kyurem-B, Latias, Latios, Clefable, and Mega Alakazam, and it notably is one of the best switch-ins to Mega Gardevoir and Mega Alakazam for bulky teams. Its movepool is huge, allowing it to take advantage of its balanced stats to perform a wide variety of roles. I opted for the Calm Mind set with Icy Wind, Psychic and Energyball coverage respectfully to deal with a variety of matchups.

For my final choice,Ferrothorn was a natural fit in that it has a lot to give as a defensive Pokemon. First and foremost, it has a great Grass / Steel typing and solid mixed bulk. Together, its unique set of resistances and bulk allow Ferrothorn to check a plethora of threats. In addition to this, Ferrothorn has access to a wide array of support moves such as Thunder Wave which the rest of the team greatly appreciates.

Team Description

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

The given EV spread lets Heatran outspeed a plethora of threats such as Adamant Excadrill and Jolly Mega Heracross, many threats are decimated by the combination of Magma Storm + HP Ice + Taunt. Other uses of the spread include outrunning Mega Tyranitar, standard stallbreaker Mew, Adamant Gyarados, Dragonite, Breloom, and Bisharp, giving Heatran the ability to fire off a powerful Magma Storm. Maximum Special Attack investment is given to hit as hard as possible, wearing down stall quicker and making Heatran more difficult to switch into when facing against offensive teams.

The given EVs allow Heatran to outrun everything up to Jolly Mega Scizor and Jolly Mega Heracross, allowing Heatran to pick them off or trap switch ins with Magma Storm. Lastly Air Balloon is used as naturally Ground-types, particularly Sand Rush Excadrill, pose a major threat steel teams in general.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Classic Scizor, really cant get any more simple than this. A simple spread of maximum Attack and Speed, along with an Adamant nature, allows Scizor to hit as hard and fast as possible. Mega evolution through the use of Scizorite, generally improves all of Scizor's relevant stats and makes it less vulnerable to Knock Off, while Light Metal before mega evolution allows Scizor to switch into low kick and grass knot taking less damage due to being lighter and since technician is gained after evolution this is purely a bonus for switching into weavile.

After a Swords Dance boost, Scizor transforms into an awesome offensive threat, capable of levelling teams with just Bullet Punch and Bug Bite. The former is both a good sweeping and revenge killing tool thanks to priority and boosts from Technician and STAB. Bug Bite further improves Scizor's coverage, hitting relevant threats such as Rotom-W, Celebi, Mega Slowbro, Jirachi, and Mega Venusaur harder so that Scizor does not have to rely on a weaker Bullet Punch.

A simple spread of maximum Attack and Speed, along with an Adamant nature, allows Scizor to hit as hard and fast as possible.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Skarmory runs full HP and Defense EVs to maximize physical bulk, its most valuable statistical trait. An Impish nature is used to maximize Skarmory's Defense without reducing its Speed or the power of Brave Bird. Leftovers offers Skarmory longevity.

Generally speaking is a good idea to keep Skarmory healthy if the opponent has a physical sweeper that can be stopped by its Whirlwind, such as Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados or Mega Pinsir. Despite Skarmory's array of resistances, its easily-exploited weaknesses to Fire- and Electric-type moves means it must be wary of switching into many attackers, even those that must use coverage moves to inflict super effective damage, such as Garchomp's Fire Blast and Latios's Thunderbolt. If keeping Skarmory alive is crucial, it is a good idea to scout for these moves by double-switching into Heatran and Excadrill respectfully.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Earthquake has great coverage with the help of Mold Breaker, allowing Excadrill to hit Rotom-W, Gengar, and the rare Bronzong for super effective damage, as well as Latios and Latias for neutral damage. Iron Head deals more damage to Fairy-types such as Clefable, Sylveon, and Mega Gardevoir. Rock Slide has great coverage alongside Earthquake and hits Flying-types such as Talonflame, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Dragonite, Tornadus-T, and Gyarados. Nothing else in Excadrill's movepool provides extra coverage, so Rapid Spin is the best option in the last slot, as it allows Excadrill to remove entry hazards, but it is a huge momentum killer.

Choice Scarf Excadrill is mainly a late-game cleaner and revenge killer, as it lacks the power that Life Orb Excadrill has and can find itself stopped by common bulky threats such as Hippowdon and Mega Scizor. Excadrill works best when these threats and Pokemon immune to Ground are weakened or removed so that it can spam Earthquake freely. Excadrill is also capable of revenge killing threats such as Mega Altaria at +1, Adamant Mega Charizard X at +1, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Aerodactyl. Earthquake is a very spammable move coupled with Mold Breaker, which means Excadrill should try to remove Flying-types outside of Skarmory and Landorus-T with Rock Slide on predicted switches.

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Calm Mind gives the team another win con pokemon and increases Jirachi's sp atk and sp def by 1 stage. Icy Wind lets Jirachi deal heavy damage to Ground- and Dragon-types that would otherwise take advantage of it, 2HKOing Garchomp, Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Dragonite. It can also be used to cancel out Speed boosts from an opposing setup sweeper so that one of Jirachi's teammates can KO it. Energy Ball lets Jirachi handle Hippowdon, Swampert, and Quagsire, which it would otherwise struggle against whilst Psychic complements coverage and deals with pesky fighting and poison types dealing super effecting damage.

Maximum Speed EVs, and a Timid nature let Jirachi outspeed alot of the unboosted metagame with its base 100 speed stat. By taking Shuca Berry, jirachi can deal with the likes of many threatening ground pokemon such as Landorus, Mamoswine, Garchomp and more and deal with them which puts less pressure on Skarmory and Heatran if Air Balloon is popped.

Damage Calculations
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Shuca Berry Jirachi: 212-251 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Shuca Berry Jirachi: 177-208 (51.7 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Jirachi: 230-270 (67.2 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Shuca Berry Jirachi: 163-193 (47.6 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Jirachi: 187-222 (54.6 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Jirachi: 188-224 (54.9 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Shuca Berry Jirachi: 199-235 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
Ferrothorn has a lot to love as a defensive Pokemon. First and foremost, it has a great Grass / Steel typing and solid mixed bulk. Together, its unique set of resistances and bulk allow Ferrothorn to check a plethora of threats. In addition to this, Ferrothorn has access to a wide array of support moves, such as Leech Seed, and Thunder Wave. Because it has decent offensive presence, Ferrothorn can be hard to switch into for many offensively-oriented teams.

The given EV spread with a Relaxed nature lets Ferrothorn fare well against both physically and specially oriented opponents. 168 Special Defense EVs give Ferrothorn enough special bulk to survive two Ice Beams from +3 Manaphy. Chople Berry is a useful item in that it allows Ferrothorn to take less damage from Fighting-types or the likes of Keldeo, Gengar, Mega Lopuny, Mega Herracross, Hawlucha, Mega Alakazam, Mega Gardevoir, and more and finally allow it to cripple them with Thunder Wave or OHKO the latter two with Gyro Ball respectfully.

Damage Calculations
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 107-127 (30.3 - 36%) -- 48.2% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 139-165 (39.4 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 93-111 (26.4 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 148-175 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 130-153 (36.9 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 118-139 (33.5 - 39.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 124-147 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 261-307 (74.1 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Importable

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-417631815

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-417259565

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-417937899

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-418202536

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-418205829

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-437903499

FIR Mentor Team
JasonWilliam for helping with the initial team
Pokemon Fire Island Ruins
Connor for aiding team in final stages
Hi there! I hope your enjoying playing Monotype, for a beginner you have a pretty good team! I have a couple suggestions though to make it all the while better:

• I personally don't see why you wouldn't want to run hazard stack, given Heatran can usually safely set up SR more reliably against fire than Skarmory anyways. For that matter, id reccomend running SR, Magma Storm, Taunt, and Toxic on Heatran over your current moveset. Now that Heatran is your SR setter, Skarmory can run Spikes.
  • On Scizor, if you're gonna run the fadt varient, id probably run Superpower over Roost to be able to hit opposing Heatrans/for general additional coverage.
  • I noticed Heatran was your only check to the likes of Garchomp, Landorus, ect, so over Excadrill id reccomend running Scarf Empoleon to help tremendously against Ground in general. That set is Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Grass Knot, and Scald. That in turn, while not quite as fast as Excadrill, can still also help against Fire.
  • Now I want to touch up on your hefty Fighting weakness. Over Ferrothorn, id personally put Doublade, so now you have something that is completely immune to the type, and you also have something that can threaten Psychic a good deal.
  • Lastly, while CM Jirachi is a pretty different set, to me it probably isn't the most reliable. Instead I think you should try AV out. That allows to to double as a much better Special Tank, and with Charge Beam it can still gain Special Attack boosts. That set is Psychic, Moonblast, Energy Ball, and Charge Beam. Thisll help against water now since Ferrothorn is out of the picture.

I hope these help, you can PM me on PS! if you need anything else/generally want to learn more about the tier! :)

(Atm I'm on mobile, so I'll try and make an importable for you when I get on my PC later)

Haii, i'll give u a little rate :

Scizor : like my m8 terrors i'll suggest using an other spread : EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD with Impish Nature. It will help you to tank random HP Fire's (Venusaur, Diancie ect) and don't get 2HKO'd by other threads like Mega-Lopunny (the thing who rk all ur team) or Landorus-T.

Ferrothorn -> Doublade : You have a big problem with Fighting, even with Terrors edit and Defensive Skarmory. And Doublade is the solution, added to skarmory those two mons wall most of fighting (Infernape and Keldeo are exceptions). It also helps u with Psychic matchup and Victini with Swords Dance + Priority + Huge Bulk on Physical.

Heatran : Earth Power > Stone Edge. Volcarona and Zard-Y are big thread for ur team and Earth Power only help for mirror Heatran.

Jirachi : The last change i'll suggest to you is AV Jirachi, it has a pretty good bulk on Special Defense thanks to AV and without setup, and also bring the same coverage as your Jirachi's set. It also helps to rk Keldeo Specs and some SS Special Sweepers.

Jirachi @ Assault Vest
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast
- Charge Beam

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw / Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

[edit] welp uncle stunny sniped me

Last edited:
Hi there! I hope your enjoying playing Monotype, for a beginner you have a pretty good team! I have a couple suggestions though to make it all the while better:

• I personally don't see why you wouldn't want to run hazard stack, given Heatran can usually safely set up SR more reliably against fire than Skarmory anyways. For that matter, id reccomend running SR, Magma Storm, Taunt, and Toxic on Heatran over your current moveset. Now that Heatran is your SR setter, Skarmory can run Spikes.
  • On Scizor, if you're gonna run the fadt varient, id probably run Superpower over Roost to be able to hit opposing Heatrans/for general additional coverage.
  • I noticed Heatran was your only check to the likes of Garchomp, Landorus, ect, so over Excadrill id reccomend running Scarf Empoleon to help tremendously against Ground in general. That set is Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Grass Knot, and Scald. That in turn, while not quite as fast as Excadrill, can still also help against Fire.
  • Now I want to touch up on your hefty Fighting weakness. Over Ferrothorn, id personally put Doublade, so now you have something that is completely immune to the type, and you also have something that can threaten Psychic a good deal.
  • Lastly, while CM Jirachi is a pretty different set, to me it probably isn't the most reliable. Instead I think you should try AV out. That allows to to double as a much better Special Tank, and with Charge Beam it can still gain Special Attack boosts. That set is Psychic, Moonblast, Energy Ball, and Charge Beam. Thisll help against water now since Ferrothorn is out of the picture.

I hope these help, you can PM me on PS! if you need anything else/generally want to learn more about the tier! :)

(Atm I'm on mobile, so I'll try and make an importable for you when I get on my PC later)
I was using hazard spam almost the whole time when I was laddering but Zapdos was annoying personal boot it but that's another discussion anyways ty for the advice I will try some of them out :)

Hi, I'll drop a rate.

->
Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
Hey just coming back to you and wanted to let you know the ferro change helped with the team and been having huge success ty again

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey, cool team Jasen Duken! I just have a few tweaks:
-On Scizor since your running 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 speed I would use Jolly Nature -> Adamant as this allows Mega Scizor to outspeed and ohko pokemon such as 108 speed mew, Bisharp and Breloom. This allows Scizor to fully abuse its Sword Dance as many of the slower status spreaders and offensive pokemon have quite a bit of checking Speedy Scizor.
-On Heatran Toxic -> HP Ice because in combination with Magma Storm and Taunt it can help end annoying defensive cores like the famous Eviolite Twins core on normal and Skarmdos core on flying monotype. While HP Ice is useful it still loses ties to the things it trys to damage with HP Ice namely Mega Garchomp, Landorus Formes and Multiscale Dragonite can easily take a HP Ice from Heatran.
-Skarmory has absolutely no reason to run 24 speed and is a waste of its Evs as its not running any offensive set and much prefers it in defensive invests 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe -> 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD as this allows Skarmory to fill its role of a defensive hazard setter and phazer to be more efficient.
-Jirachi is your way to check Fighting Types but yet can easily be ohkoes by HJK from Mega Medicham and taken down with 2 fighting type stab moves. Doublade -> Jirachi as it completely resists and beats out Fighting monotypes that lack Keldeo and Infernape which can be checked by doublades teammates while also forming a solid wincon against the psychic and ghost monotypes. Run the standard Doublade set Swords Dance, Shadow Claw/Iron Head, Shadow Sneak and Sacred Sword with 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD and an adamant nature.
-Lastly after you added Doublade the team has a very solid resist core against all of its weaknesses allowing Ferrothorn to run more useful sets to the steel monotype such as Leftovers which can help Ferrothorn easily regain health ~18% a turn. Also Protect -> Thunder Wave as steel generally uses its setup sweepers to clean up late game and allows Ferrothorn to not only scout choice locked attacks but increase its passive recovery ability ~36% in 2 turns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)