Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Changes to Stance Change mechanics.

Basically status checks happen before Stance Change now, and if your Pokemon is unable to move, you will not change form.

For example consider a turn where an Aegislash in Blade Form uses King's Shield on a turn it's getting fully paralyzed.

Gen 6: You Stance Change because you used KS, then you become fully paralyzed.
Gen 7: You get fully paralyzed, and you don't revert to Shield Form despite clicking KS

Call this a nerf if you want, but it also means that Aegislash in shield form will not Stance Change to blade form and hit itself in confusion. It'll also not needlessly reveal Blade Form when it cannot move, so in a way this is a buff.

This mechanic happens with paralysis and confusion. idk about sleep or flinch yet.

EDIT: happens with freeze

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
This mechanic happens with paralysis and confusion. idk about sleep or flinch yet.
If it happens with paralysis then it should happen for everything on this list, since paralysis has been the final before-move check since at least Gen 4 (unless they moved it up for some reason...)
Stance Change
Sleep/Freeze
Truant
Flinch
Disable
Heal Block
Gravity
Taunt
Imprison
Confusion
Attract
Paralysis

An interesting test would be an Aegislash in Shield Forme attempting to use a self-thaw move while frozen and see which happens first, the thaw message or the forme change.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Well, Sleep doesn't cause you to change stances. Haven't tested Freeze but all evidence points to thaw text happening before stance change.

not sure if this has been tested yet, but if galvanize golem-a uses the normal z-move does the z-move get re-typed to electric?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Well, Sleep doesn't cause you to change stances. Haven't tested Freeze but all evidence points to thaw text happening before stance change.
Just to clarify, self-thaw moves used while frozen skip the regular freeze check and have to pass all the other checks before successfully executing. For example, you can hit yourself in confusion while frozen while attempting to use Scald or something, and you don't thaw.

We know that the order in which Pokémon act after megaevolution relies on their after-abilities/speed.
But what about the order in which the actual mega evolution happens?

E.g. In a Camerupt vs Slowbro match, will Camerupt (40 base, 20 mega) mega evolve first? or will Slowbro? (30 base, 30 mega)
This is likely relevant for abilities that trigger on mega evolution, like Trace.

How does Minior Sheilds down work? Do you watch it in shield for or core form or either? I'm so confused about this Pokémon. (I apologize if this is the wrong thread)

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The above was mentioned on this Japanese site, if I'm reading this correctly

http://amalgame.jp/sunmoon-datamine-item/

Enjoy your full health Belly Drum Gluttony Linoones.

Also apparently mentions that Rocky Helmet/Rough Skin now causes the holder/user to lose in double KO situations (self KO clause)?
Do they heal 50% only when they're a disliked flavor, or always do?

I mean, that could make Sitrus 100% outclassed...

EDIT-- Nvm, Sitrus restores at 50% health, those berries do at 25%.

The move Confusion did not get changed, the status however did. Now a Pokemon has a chance to hit itself 1/3 of the time rather than 1/2 of the time when confused.
But has this been confirmed?

Last edited:
Confirming that Gluttony does indeed cause you to eat Figy/Wiki/etc berries when below 50% of your health, as opposed to 25%. So on a Pokemon with Gluttony, these berries are just strictly better than Sitrus.

Not sure if anyone else has answered the question yet, but I recently had a munchlax with metronome try to use Dark Void and was told it was unable to do so. I'm pretty sure if you try do to so with mimic it'll repeat the same thing.

Figy, Wiki, etc. only activate at 25%, while Sitrus activates at 50%, making it much more reliable for mons without Gluttony.
lol how funny, I came here to talk about this exact thing. So now that we know the flavor berries heal 50% of max at 25% health, is it essentially the same as Sitrus (25% @ 50%health), only at a different health point? Also, how long does Smogon take to roll out these changes?

breh

強いだね
I apologize if this has already been asked, but does soul heart function as a moxie clone (i.e. attack only on attacker doing the fainting) or does literally any pokemon fainting in any manner cause it to raise SpA?

Yep, this stays the same. I've tryed with a max Speed Magikarp(Yea, It's what i had in mind), and it didn't outspeed a Starmie at the same turn Rain Dance was activated.
What if you give another Pokemon Swift Swim/Clorophyll/Sand Rash/Slush Rush after you set up rain in the same turn?

Just to check it's something that only happens on Mega Evolutions and not on ability changes.

Also, how much priority does Beak Blast's charge up phase have? Same as Focus Punch?

Last edited:
While affected by Encore a Pokemon still has the option to use its Z-move even if its base move was the move that was Encored. (OmegaDonut) Encore will fail against a Pokemon that previously used a Z-move (LegoFigure11)
I always thought you could Encore a status Z-move (like Z-Conversion) but not an attack (like Breackneck Blitz). Can we clarify?

I apologize if this has already been asked, but does soul heart function as a moxie clone (i.e. attack only on attacker doing the fainting) or does literally any pokemon fainting in any manner cause it to raise SpA?
Any pokémon fainting, even from stuff like explosion, will activate it.

Got the player's guide. For those interested, Greninja's Battle Bond raises Water Shuriken's power (while Ash-Greninja) from 15 to 20, and it always hits 3 times.
Holy shit, thank you, this has remained unconfirmed for so long (I believe). So when you say it always hits 3 times, does that mean a minimum of 3? Or exactly 3?

Holy shit, thank you, this has remained unconfirmed for so long (I believe). So when you say it always hits 3 times, does that mean a minimum of 3? Or exactly 3?
No problem. I've been curious about this myself. The guide says exactly 3, but it could be wrong, so if anyone else wants to put in the effort to test this, that'd be great.

Shouldn't that be easy to test? Find a double battle against much weaker opponents (and a partner that easily resists the move), have Greninja KO one opponent then start Water Shuriken the partner.

Shouldn't that be easy to test? Find a double battle against much weaker opponents (and a partner that easily resists the move), have Greninja KO one opponent then start Water Shuriken the partner.
Yes, you're right, but I want to soft-reset for a good nature for my Ash-Greninja before saving. Working on it now. Already beat the game and defeated every trainer in normal gameplay, so it's a bit tricky to do it offline.

Yes, you're right, but I want to soft-reset for a good nature for my Ash-Greninja before saving. Working on it now. Already beat the game and defeated every trainer in normal gameplay, so it's a bit tricky to do it offline.
Isn't Ash-Greninja copied from the demo? Or is there some kind of flag that prevents you from copying it to the same save more than once?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)