SPOILERS! Sun and Moon In game experience thread

i've been trying to grind out some battle points for the power items in battle tree using my ingame team, but even the pre-super singles battles are pretty hard now, no more NFE pokemon....

i've been trying to grind out some battle points for the power items in battle tree using my ingame team, but even the pre-super singles battles are pretty hard now, no more NFE pokemon....
Yea it's pretty tough using your ingame team.

I recommend using some of the UBs that you got, try and reset for an optimal nature. Nihilego for example can cleanly sweep level 1-20 with some team support.

Celesteela is the true hero of the battle tree. The AI has no fucking idea of how to deal with her and outside of quick claw sheer cold or a weird zard Y/z move she won't fall.

It's ridiculous how good Celesteela is vs the AI.

Celesteela is the true hero of the battle tree. The AI has no fucking idea of how to deal with her and outside of quick claw sheer cold or a weird zard Y/z move she won't fall.

I agree lol.

It's funny how before the game released we were all sleeping on how powerful she is. Well, it turns out she is a powerhouse that is also so damn versatile, both in pvp and the battle tree.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

Breaking the AI is always fun. What set are you using?

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just finished up my in-game run a few minutes ago, thoroughly enjoyed myself. Much like with White 2, I deliberately slowed myself down numerous to try out as much as I could of the game...and then spent a couple of hours trying to give back to the community by SR'ing a worthwhile Solgaleo. I failed at that, but still the experience overall.

Tiny, tiny nitpick: Kwamie didn't come off as fleshed out character-wise as I felt he could have been, which sucks given that Fire is my favorite type, and that he reps that type.

I'm super-excited now, though, as I can finally start taking the steps to join my brothers and sisters at the Battle Tree thread and making that the Place To Be.

It's really disappointing at how under utilized the bottom screen is. 4 generations of Pokemon on the DS line and we've reached "here's a bare bones map so you know when to brace yourself for a cutscene". Every set of games before SM have had some cool, or ease of use function available. Not to mention we have a photo taking, wise cracking Pokédex that barely does anything as a Pokédex (no Dexnav or equivalent, really?!).

And re: Fishing: it's a cruel joke that I'm near the end game and still mostly fishing up level 10 Magikarp. It's a shame so many (new) Pokemon got locked behind bad fishing encounters.

Both these complaints are inspired by the fact I haven't found a Dhelmise yet. On a good note, this is one of my favourite Pokemon games/experiences in a long time.

Edit: and with that, Dhelmise is mine. I obviously named it Davy Jones.

Last edited:
I'd argue the best of the DS/3DS games to use the bottom screen was DPt. Having little apps to scroll between was really nice and several were pretty useful.

Let's compare that with the following offerings:
-HGSS just put the menu there. Just the most bare bones possible option. The best thing it did was give a secondary hot key.
-BW1 had the cgear. This was mostly useless unless you started messing with the entralink powers and even that was buried several menus deep. Instant access to IR trading was nice but left behind in gen 6 due to hte cart types
-BW2 had the same cgear functionality but this time its circular. Of note, most of the c gear functions are worthless without internet
-XY after like 5 years brought back the idea of multi-screen apps but is kind of hamstrung by 2 of them just leading into their own entire things. Beyond the passive sandbag thing on super training, you could have just put those options on the menu. PSS was a good idea though, even if it was kind of a pain to go through and every time you closed the 3ds it disconnected you. Notable for having an ENTIRE SECONDARY MENU where the good stuff was that still paused the game while you shuffled through it
-ORAS had those options shuffled into a further option on the pokenav. Good idea bringing easily hot-swappable apps between the news/street pass station, the pokenav for tracking how complete your route is (and further option to search for them) and the XY stuff. But the news station is kind of worthless and the xy stuff has its own issues so most of the time you'll just have a nice, but static, dex nav map on the bottom screen.

It would have been nice if they either kept building on ORAS or just went back to the drawing board and hten keep going after writing down "map screen"

Just hit post-game in Moon after finishing up catching all the UBs and legends in Sun; made sure to scan the Magearna QR code in both games and am planning to soft-reset for a nature I want - sucks that it'd be really pushing it to try and get a certain Hidden Power as well, but I might try.

Just hit post-game in Moon after finishing up catching all the UBs and legends in Sun; made sure to scan the Magearna QR code in both games and am planning to soft-reset for a nature I want - sucks that it'd be really pushing it to try and get a certain Hidden Power as well, but I might try.
A small hint, synchronize is 100% effective on magearna unlike Greninja, so using a synchronizer makes this easier.

I'd argue the best of the DS/3DS games to use the bottom screen was DPt. Having little apps to scroll between was really nice and several were pretty useful.

Let's compare that with the following offerings:
-HGSS just put the menu there. Just the most bare bones possible option. The best thing it did was give a secondary hot key.
-BW1 had the cgear. This was mostly useless unless you started messing with the entralink powers and even that was buried several menus deep. Instant access to IR trading was nice but left behind in gen 6 due to hte cart types
-BW2 had the same cgear functionality but this time its circular. Of note, most of the c gear functions are worthless without internet
-XY after like 5 years brought back the idea of multi-screen apps but is kind of hamstrung by 2 of them just leading into their own entire things. Beyond the passive sandbag thing on super training, you could have just put those options on the menu. PSS was a good idea though, even if it was kind of a pain to go through and every time you closed the 3ds it disconnected you. Notable for having an ENTIRE SECONDARY MENU where the good stuff was that still paused the game while you shuffled through it
-ORAS had those options shuffled into a further option on the pokenav. Good idea bringing easily hot-swappable apps between the news/street pass station, the pokenav for tracking how complete your route is (and further option to search for them) and the XY stuff. But the news station is kind of worthless and the xy stuff has its own issues so most of the time you'll just have a nice, but static, dex nav map on the bottom screen.

It would have been nice if they either kept building on ORAS or just went back to the drawing board and hten keep going after writing down "map screen"
The benefit of having the menu on screen was you didn't have to pause the game to bring up save or the bag whatever. I've always found it at least useful in streamlining, since Lord knows Pokemon loves nested menus (the SM Pokédex is a nightmare).

The endless, many of them trivial, apps in DPP were great.

And yeah I was mostly hoping they'd do something with the Rotom Dex beyond being the Pokemon Navi. Even if I didn't use the bottom screen (C-Gear...) I guess I appreciate the effort that got put into trying to make something functional.

I also really don't like having to go into the Festival Plaza to trade and all that. I still haven't figured out how to wonder trade...

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Going after UBs in my post-game now, and Jesus, those guys 'n' gals hit hard 'n' fast. Mad respect to those who take the time to SR for them--hell, for those who take the time to Synchronize them. Y'all motherfuckers crazy.

On the plus side, my Synchronize Abra hunting has already netted me three Twisted Spoons...maybe it's a sign that I should jump into the competitive MonoPhysic scene?

Going after UBs in my post-game now, and Jesus, those guys 'n' gals hit hard 'n' fast. Mad respect to those who take the time to SR for them--hell, for those who take the time to Synchronize them. Y'all motherfuckers crazy.

On the plus side, my Synchronize Abra hunting has already netted me three Twisted Spoons...maybe it's a sign that I should jump into the competitive MonoPhysic scene?
I actually went through the effort of SRing a Timid and Modest Xurkitree with HP Ice. I had a free day and it pretty much took all of it.

I want to take a moment to briefly defend the Rotom Dex. While I was getting used to playing a game that was not on a grid, and used different elevations it was useful for navigation, and at least gave a waypoint. After the first 30 minutes or so, it had fulfilled its usefulness and easily could have been toggleable with other options. Pretty big shortcoming there.

The fact that the PC defaults to the 'move' function is amazing and overall I feel like the PC function has improved pretty greatly with all of the functions being in one mode. In a similar vein, the ability to send eggs/pokemon into your party when your party is full is amazing.

The Mimikyu totem was particularly challenging, but other than that only Fromantis gave me much of an issue. If I had picked any other Rock/Ground Type besides Rockruff I feel as though the game would have been much easier.

It's also nice to see that the game seemed tailored for use with the EXP share, and even though I kept it on all game, I wasn't overly levelled when I got to the elite four. The 4th island really steepens the level curve.

I got super lucky with my Tapu Koko (Timid, 31/xx/31/28-30/31/31) and Xurkitree (Timid, 31/xx/31/31/28-30/31), which are the only useful legendaries I've ever had in a pokemon game.

This is also the first game I've ever completed the Pokedex in (and I started playing in gen 2). 15+ years of Pokemon and I hammer out a dex in a little more than two weeks.

All-in-all I'm confident saying S/M are my favorite Pokemon games to date.

This is by far

The best Pokemon game I've played in all my years of playing Pokémon.

So much detail, so many things to do.

I'm starting to wonder if the Lackluster effort of them making that ORAS game was because they were getting ready to bring this thing into existence

Because how do you go from ORAS to this? This even towers over X & Y.

I've never been so interested in playing a Pokemon game like I've been playing this

It's early for me, I just finished my first island but this game feels more challenging than both X & Y and ORAS.

Also, the grass starter is a beast.

This is by far

The best Pokemon game I've played in all my years of playing Pokémon.

So much detail, so many things to do.

I'm starting to wonder if the Lackluster effort of them making that ORAS game was because they were getting ready to bring this thing into existence

I've never been so interested in playing a Pokemon game like I've been playing this

It's early for me, I just finished my first island but this game feels more challenging than both X & Y and ORAS.

Also, the grass starter is a beast.
not for long buddy not for long.

I don't know how anyone could argue XY were better than ORAS in any way. ORAS were mediocre, but, even without considering relatively subjective things like story-mode quality and so on, they offered more in every objectively measurable way.

Anyway, SM make drastic improvements in the story, but that shouldn't immunize Game Freak to criticism for its removal of features and the massive slap-in-the-face to fans that is the "post-game."

I don't know how anyone could argue XY were better than ORAS in any way. ORAS were mediocre, but, even without considering relatively subjective things like story-mode quality and so on, they offered more in every objectively measurable way.

Anyway, SM make drastic improvements in the story, but that shouldn't immunize Game Freak to criticism for its removal of features and the massive slap-in-the-face to fans that is the "post-game."
Removal of what features?

Removal of what features?
Exp grinding points, dex nav chaining, freaking super training that let you see the EVs.

Also auto run toggle from gen 4,dome of us still mourn that one even if we hated the 4th gen outside of platinum.

Exp grinding points, dex nav chaining, freaking super training that let you see the EVs.

Also auto run toggle from gen 4,dome of us still mourn that one even if we hated the 4th gen outside of platinum.
Those aren't groundbreaking

Plus Gamefreak is known to add features then take them away. Look at Black & White 2 and the difficulty feature

You know how awesome it would be to have a difficulty feature in these games ? We're all not children, i know how to play pokes, know the mechanics, all I ask for is a hard mode.

Expect them to take away even more features next gen, it's something that they do.

Those aren't groundbreaking

Plus Gamefreak is known to add features then take them away. Look at Black & White 2 and the difficulty feature

You know how awesome it would be to have a difficulty feature in these games ? We're all not children, i know how to play pokes, know the mechanics, all I ask for is a hard mode.

Expect them to take away even more features next gen, it's something that they do.
Yes. That's not a reason to roll over and accept it. It's a reason to be that much more outraged.

The difficulty option is a great example. There's absolutely no legitimate reason for them to have removed it. Changes can be rationalized when a feature is replaced with something else that basically does the same thing (like the DexNav and Hordes (which may not have been viable in SM because of performance?) for SOS chaining), but arbitrarily removing things just because they can is a total "fuck you" to fans.

Except that "difficulty feature" was a joke. Between each game having only one mode to unlock without IR sharing, an Easy Mode that could only be unlocked by beating the game in Normal Mode first and a Hard Mode that wasn't harder than Normal Mode...

I understand that there were some nice features that should have been kept (such as the National Pokedex, but not Super Training as Evelup Island is quite similar), but it was to be expected, unfortunately...

I'm surprised Pokemon Amie was not given the boot, though.

At least, I hope Poke Pelago is not dropped after this generation, as it's an outstanding feature for those that are too busy to train or harvest berries the old-fashioned way. Dropping it would actually make me very disappointed.

I also expect them to expand the IV Judge PC function and move the Hidden Power NPC there as well.

Last edited:
Yes. That's not a reason to roll over and accept it. It's a reason to be that much more outraged.

The difficulty option is a great example. There's absolutely no legitimate reason for them to have removed it. Changes can be rationalized when a feature is replaced with something else that basically does the same thing (like the DexNav and Hordes (which may not have been viable in SM because of performance?) for SOS chaining), but arbitrarily removing things just because they can is a total "fuck you" to fans.
Well the good news is, with the features that were put IN the game it seems like Gamefreak is listening to us more! So who knows, maybe in the future they'll take more suggestions and listen to the gamers on what to keep and what to trash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)