Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (NU Edition)

Can Accelgor make use of Water Shuriken this gen?
Water Shuriken is pretty bad on Accelgor, it's weak and Accelgor is already one of the fastest pkmn in the tier so the added priority won't be of use in most situations. Here is a diff Accelgor set you can try out tho

Accelgor @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb / U-turn / Spikes

Timid lets you outspeed base 80 pkmn like Gallade at +1 but Modest is fine too if you want more power. It typically works best on more offensive teams.

Last edited:
Water Shuriken is pretty bad on Accelgor, it's weak and Accelgor is already one of the fastest pkmn in the tier so the added priority won't be of use in most situations. Here is a diff Accelgor set you can try out tho

Accelgor @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb / U-turn / Spikes

Timid lets you outspeed base 80 pkmn like Gallade at +1 but Modest is fine too if you want more power. It typically works best on more offensive teams.
Speaking of which, how is is spikes, final gambit lead accelgor this gen?

spirit

Banned deucer.
What are some relevant walls that a normal spam core of say, Zangoose + Swellow, would have to break through?

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What are some relevant walls that a normal spam core of say, Zangoose + Swellow, would have to break through?
Swellow is currently Ru, but the relevant normal walls are things like steelix, rhydon (which is less common), spiritomb, sableye, jellicent, cofag and gourg. A good replacement for swellow is something like exploud if you want raw power, or even meloetta if you want a bit more speed; as they break through these walls pretty decently if you're going for a normal spam core n.n

spirit

Banned deucer.
Swellow is currently Ru, but the relevant normal walls are things like steelix, rhydon (which is less common), spiritomb, sableye, jellicent, cofag and gourg. A good replacement for swellow is something like exploud if you want raw power, or even meloetta if you want a bit more speed; as they break through these walls pretty decently if you're going for a normal spam core n.n
Ahh, I completely forgot about swellow being RU. Thank you for the detailed answer! :heart:

Vivillon - good
Jynx - good, a bit hard to use
I really like the Z-Lovely Kiss / NP / Dual Stab Stab set (if you have a Steel lure on your team) or the monostab / Focus Blast variant of it if you don't. I think Jynx' biggest issue currently is that there's a plethora of great fighting Type it's supposed to be good against, most of which get access to Bullet Punch though, which bops Jynx due to it's laughably low Physdef.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How exactly do Vileplume, Lycanroc, Shiftry, and Skuntank all do in the current meta?
Vileplume is an okay mon, due to its access to sleep powder, a decent defensive typing and of course recovery; it however struggles with walling some of the stronger mons in the tier.
Lycanroc is a decent suicide lead (although I'd say archeops is arguably better for that role due to endeavour) and is also a nice SD mon, the only issue being its inability to break rock resists due to it not having earthquake and only getting brick break as a way to hit mons like steelix.
Shiftry is in my opinion overshadowed by all the other dark types out there, but an offensive defog set, both with and without scarf seems niche.
Finally skuntank is actually an interesting one, as z moves have given its defog set a more wall breaking characteristic in conjunction with something like acid spray, which is nice. I however think the physical set is outclassed by both drapion and, to an extent, sneasel.

Hope this helps n.n

Reactions: nv

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
when will the NU mons be updated in the teambuilder? like the banned stuff not being classified as NU
We don't know for sure when that will happen but updates usually happen when there's a server restart. Server restarts occur like once per week on average.

This topic isn't exactly specific to NU, but its about a Pokemon that is currently NU: Slowbro. What exactly has caused it to fall so far over the course of this generation so far? I know that stuff like Tapu Koko pretty much prevents it from becoming OU again, but even in UU and RU, its only B-tier, and now its down all the way in NU. How come?

Machamp and Sableye I get. The confusion nerf really hurt Machamp's niche over other Fighting-types (in RU, Heracross does any Guts set better, and Pangoro is slightly faster and has STAB Knock Off and has Bullet Punch as well), and Sableye had the burn and Prankster nerf. But why Slowbro?

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This topic isn't exactly specific to NU, but its about a Pokemon that is currently NU: Slowbro. What exactly has caused it to fall so far over the course of this generation so far? I know that stuff like Tapu Koko pretty much prevents it from becoming OU again, but even in UU and RU, its only B-tier, and now its down all the way in NU. How come?

Machamp and Sableye I get. The confusion nerf really hurt Machamp's niche over other Fighting-types (in RU, Heracross does any Guts set better, and Pangoro is slightly faster and has STAB Knock Off and has Bullet Punch as well), and Sableye had the burn and Prankster nerf. But why Slowbro?
I think i can give you the reason why RU isnt really interested in Slowbro atm. Slowbro is supposed to check water types but what happens when those water types actually beat you? Stuff like Sharpedo, Bruxish (Strong Jaw-boosted Crunch), Feraligatr (Sheer Force-boosted Crunch) all have ways to deal with Slowbro. So RU tends to use mons like Milotic and Mantine who either beat these mons or offer more utilty than Slowbro. Offensively speaking, Reuniclus is S rank atm.

How des Incineroar perform in the current meta?
Also, does Samurrott survive as an offensive water type in NU this gen? It's one of my favorite mons and I was wondering if the advent of z moves might help it wallbreak.

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
Talking about Incineroar, I have the feeling that Emboar is better: it's slightly faster and it hits much harder thanks to Reckless; just try CB Emboar and see how strong it is.
I would say that Incineroar is better as an offensive pivot because it has U-Turn, and especially once Intimidate is available.

yogi

I did not succumb...
How des Incineroar perform in the current meta?
Also, does Samurrott survive as an offensive water type in NU this gen? It's one of my favorite mons and I was wondering if the advent of z moves might help it wallbreak.
Hey!

Currently I would say that Incineroar performs okay in the current meta. Its ability to check a lot of common fire types such as Houndoom and Delphox along with being able to act as a nice bulky pivot because of U-Turn does give it a somewhat decent niche. It can run both an Assault Vest or a Swords Dance set (although I believe the AV set is currently better) to decent results. However, the aforementioned fire types are generally better because they offer more versatility in comparison to Incineroar, e.g. Houndoom is a fantastic stall breaker/wall breaker along with also being a decent fire type check and Delphox is of a similar vein. It also suffers because it doesn't currently have access to its hidden ability, Intimidate.

If you were to run it I'd use something like this:

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

This set allows it to easy counter mons such as Delphox and Houndoom along with checking things like grass and ghost type reasonably well. Darkest Lariant is a neat move that bypasses any stat boosts, U-Turn allows it to grab momentum easily, Flare Blitz is a nice powerful STAB option and Earthquake allows it to hit other fire types for super effective damage.

I personally think Samurott got a lot worse this gen, because of how offensive the meta is at this point in time along with how it's quite a slow mon currently; however, I do think Z-Moves did help it a bit, as Z-Knock Off and Z-Megahorn allow it to beat things that usually check it. It has to compete with other water types such as Seismitoad, Slowbro/Slowking, Jellicent, etc. but does stand out as being one of only two physical water types.

Here's a set:

Samurott @ Buginium Z / Darkinium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn / Knock Off

This is just the standard Samurott Swords Dance set with Z-Moves included. I think really it depends on your team for what Z-Move you want to use, Bug or Dark (although Water is also an option, albeit a worse one in my opinion). I really think Jolly is important in this meta as it wants to out speed base 60's and thanks to Z-Moves changing to Jolly no longer really costs it.

Hope this helps n.n

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is stall any good right now?
kind of mediocre in my opinion. I haven't seen anyone make any stall builds with any notable success. The extremely diverse pool of offensive threats in the tier right now make it hard to prepare for everything while also maintaining strict hazard control, your own hazards, and clerics, etc.

There's a good chance that it's just because the playstyle is unexplored, though, so I would encourage you to try to come to your own conclusion about the archetype by playing and building it yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)