SM OU Charizard X Balance

Introduction:
I wanted to build a team around Charizard X with a balanced style. So far, I've been at 1500, but I hope to get feedback to better improve the team. The team includes the Steel-Fairy-Dragon Core and a sand offense portion. I haven't found too many threats to the team.

Team Buildings Process:

I decided to build a balance team with the Clefable + Toxapex + Celesteela core. Seeing how these three can tank most of the meta themselves.

Next I wanted to Finish the SFD core, so I added Mega Charizard X to the team. I chose Mega Charizard X to act as a wallbreaker and a set-up sweeper for the team.

Lastly I added the old filler for balance teams, Excadrill and Tyranitar. This part of the core can be a nuisance to hyper offensive teams. Also these two can deal with the new Megas that were just released.

The team:

Celesteela @

Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
Heavy Slam
Flamethrower
Leech Seed
Protect

I chose Celesteela to act as the special wall for the team. Heavy Slam and Flamethrower for coverage against Fairy and opposing Steel types. Leech Seed is so Celesteela gets some recovery with Leftovers. Protect is so Celesteela gets an extra turn of recovery.

Charizard-Mega-X (M) @

Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Fire Punch
Dragon Claw
Dragon Dance
Roost

Zard X is the wallbreaker for the team. Fire Punch is for decent STAB against anything that switches in. Dragon Claw is for opposing dragon types that might be a nuisance to Zard X. Dragon Dance allows Zard X to power up it's attack stats and boost up it's speed. Roost is for recovery from entry hazards.

Tyranitar @

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
Stone Edge
Crunch
Pursuit
Earthquake

Tyranitar acts as a secondary wallbreaker for the team. A Choice Band makes Tyranitar 134 base attack much scarier to switch into. Stone Edge is for any fire or flying types on the opposing team. Crunch is to deal with any Psychic or Ghost types. Pursuit is for any switches my opponent makes. Earthquake is so Mega Mawile and Heatran are checked.

Toxapex @

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Scald
Toxic Spikes
Haze
Recover

Toxapex is the mixed wall of the team. Toxapex main role is to prevent Zard Y from destroying my team. Seeing how Zard Y doesn't have access to any moves that 2HKO Toxapex, it'll PP stall Solar Beam or Fire Blast. Scald is for burning any physical attacker or any wall. Toxic Spikes are nice for wearing down the opposing team. Haze prevents set-up sweepers to take out all my pokemon. Recover is mainly to PP stall my opponent's moves.

Excadrill @

Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Earthquake
Iron Head
Rock Slide
Rapid Spin

Excadrill is the revenge sweeper when the sand is raging. Earthquake is strong STAB for fire, rock, steel, and poison types. Iron Head is for the Z-move and strong STAB. Rock Slide is flying types; such as Zard Y with no sun. Rapid Spin to get rid hazards on my side of the field.

Clefable @

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
Stealth Rock
Knock Off
Moonblast
Soft-Boiled

Lastly Clefable acts as the physical wall of the team. Clefable sets up Stealth Rocks for the opposing team. Knock Off is utility, removing leftovers, choice items, and assault vest. Moonblast is for dragon, fighting, and dark types. Soft-Boiled is for PP stalling and recovery.

Huge shoutout to Hobojoe28 for creating the team banner. Make sure to check out his amazing team he created No Complaints - Balanced Offense (Peaked 1700+)

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Charizard-Mega-X (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Recover

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Last edited:
Really cool team you have here, I love SFD cores and Toxapex is a great pick for almost any team. That being said, i don't necessarily agree with the decision to fill out the team with Tyranitar/Excadrill. The team as it is has realistically no switch in to Heatran except Toxapex, who loses to Trapper Tran.

I suggest Greninja>Excadrill and Mew>Tyranitar

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide

Scarf Greninja is an incredibly good revenge killer who would add some much needed speed and pressure to your team. With 220 SpA, Ice Beam OHKO's defensive Landorus-T 100% of the time, who your team also has a large problem with if Celesteela goes down or it is the Continental Crush set. Greninja also has the ability to run Rock Slide, which OHKO's both Zard Y and Volcarona, as well as outspending Volcarona when its at +1.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Mew grants your team the ability to defog and provides another option for Heatran, Landorus-T and Mega Medicham/Mega Lopunny. These changes do give your team a large amount of defensive presence though no Z-Move, so it may also be beneficial to change Celesteela to an Autotomize set for a late game sweep/surprise

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain

Flynium-Z gives you the ability to nuke pokemon like Landorus-T. Fire Blast helps against Ferrothorn, Mawile, and opposing Celesteela. Giga Drain for recovery and it OHKOs Greninja and Keldeo at +1.

Let me know what you think of the changes, ill try to find time to test them as well and let you know how it goes. Good Luck!

Really cool team you have here, I love SFD cores and Toxapex is a great pick for almost any team. That being said, i don't necessarily agree with the decision to fill out the team with Tyranitar/Excadrill. The team as it is has realistically no switch in to Heatran except Toxapex, who loses to Trapper Tran.

I suggest Greninja>Excadrill and Mew>Tyranitar

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide

Scarf Greninja is an incredibly good revenge killer who would add some much needed speed and pressure to your team. With 220 SpA, Ice Beam OHKO's defensive Landorus-T 100% of the time, who your team also has a large problem with if Celesteela goes down or it is the Continental Crush set. Greninja also has the ability to run Rock Slide, which OHKO's both Zard Y and Volcarona, as well as outspending Volcarona when its at +1.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Mew grants your team the ability to defog and provides another option for Heatran, Landorus-T and Mega Medicham/Mega Lopunny. These changes do give your team a large amount of defensive presence though no Z-Move, so it may also be beneficial to change Celesteela to an Autotomize set for a late game sweep/surprise

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain

Flynium-Z gives you the ability to nuke pokemon like Landorus-T. Fire Blast helps against Ferrothorn, Mawile, and opposing Celesteela. Giga Drain for recovery and it OHKOs Greninja and Keldeo at +1.

Let me know what you think of the changes, ill try to find time to test them as well and let you know how it goes. Good Luck!
Thanks for the suggestions but I notice that the changes makes me weaker to rain, the new Mega Lati@s, Mega Altaria, and Mega Diance. The combination of Excadrill and Tyranitar checks most of these threats except rain (haven't faced rain yet).
Since Toxapex is running Shed Shell, Trapper Heatran doesn't do much to it.

DNNP

There is always next year
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Love the team composition. I am actually using a very similar team with Mega Latias over ZardX to great degrees of success. These kinds of Sand Balance teams require a lot of forethought as you need to know what pokemon you need to keep healthy and what you can let get whittled.

As for the threats to this team, the three I see are as such:
1. Volcarona with Psychium Z. This thing can tear holes in your team. Tyranitar, if not at full, dies to a +1 Bug Buzz. Toxapex takes 70-80% from a +1 Psychic and is murked by Shattered Psyche. Your only real switch-in is ZardX, which doesn't take a psychic too nicely. Basically, if rocks are up, the game is over.

2. Taunt Heatran. As Hobojoe28 stated earlier, you have no good switch-in to Taunt Heatran. Toxapex can switch in and out with a shed shell, but the problem is that it can't really recover other than by switching back out, which means something has to take a hit. Not a threat as much as just an annoyance because there is a lot of screwing around you have to do with it. (Clefable can knock off its lefties on a switch, which helps a lot)

3. Specs Ash-Gren. Although you have both Celesteela and Toxapex (Im not sure which one you like to bring in first) you have to be really careful. A combo of the above mentioned Tran and Gren while quickly wear down Pex to a point that Celesteela has to take hits. Since Steela has no recovery other than lefties and leech seed, it can be hard to continuously take those hits. Also, if it does get into Ash Form, due to crits or flinches, it revenges Excadrill and ZardX if chipped.

A way to help with all three of these (although Tran will still be problematic) is to replace Toxapex with Mantine. Specially Defensive Mantine still beats ZardY, retains access to haze, and is a hard check to Volcarona and Ash-Gren. It also counters Rain teams, which can be a problem for Ttar + Excadrill builds. I know you lose T-Spikes, but its all a trade-off.
With this change, I also suggest changing Celesteela to the Mixed Defensive set, as it will serve you better against Lando, Chomp and Mega Pinser. Lastly, since Mantine has access to defog, you can drop rapid spin for Swords Dance on Excadrill. This will allow you to tear holes in balance teams and rip through any stall teams you come across. Also, +2 Corkscrew Crash OHKO's any Mega Venusaur.

TLDR:
->

Specially Defensive -> Mixed Defensive
Rapid Spin -> Swords Dance

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 240 HP / 196 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
Love the team composition. I am actually using a very similar team with Mega Latias over ZardX to great degrees of success. These kinds of Sand Balance teams require a lot of forethought as you need to know what pokemon you need to keep healthy and what you can let get whittled.

As for the threats to this team, the three I see are as such:
1. Volcarona with Psychium Z. This thing can tear holes in your team. Tyranitar, if not at full, dies to a +1 Bug Buzz. Toxapex takes 70-80% from a +1 Psychic and is murked by Shattered Psyche. Your only real switch-in is ZardX, which doesn't take a psychic too nicely. Basically, if rocks are up, the game is over.

2. Taunt Heatran. As Hobojoe28 stated earlier, you have no good switch-in to Taunt Heatran. Toxapex can switch in and out with a shed shell, but the problem is that it can't really recover other than by switching back out, which means something has to take a hit. Not a threat as much as just an annoyance because there is a lot of screwing around you have to do with it. (Clefable can knock off its lefties on a switch, which helps a lot)

3. Specs Ash-Gren. Although you have both Celesteela and Toxapex (Im not sure which one you like to bring in first) you have to be really careful. A combo of the above mentioned Tran and Gren while quickly wear down Pex to a point that Celesteela has to take hits. Since Steela has no recovery other than lefties and leech seed, it can be hard to continuously take those hits. Also, if it does get into Ash Form, due to crits or flinches, it revenges Excadrill and ZardX if chipped.

A way to help with all three of these (although Tran will still be problematic) is to replace Toxapex with Mantine. Specially Defensive Mantine still beats ZardY, retains access to haze, and is a hard check to Volcarona and Ash-Gren. It also counters Rain teams, which can be a problem for Ttar + Excadrill builds. I know you lose T-Spikes, but its all a trade-off.
With this change, I also suggest changing Celesteela to the Mixed Defensive set, as it will serve you better against Lando, Chomp and Mega Pinser. Lastly, since Mantine has access to defog, you can drop rapid spin for Swords Dance on Excadrill. This will allow you to tear holes in balance teams and rip through any stall teams you come across. Also, +2 Corkscrew Crash OHKO's any Mega Venusaur.

TLDR:
->

Specially Defensive -> Mixed Defensive
Rapid Spin -> Swords Dance

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 240 HP / 196 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
I appreciate the rate so much, I will definitely try out the changes. Never thought of using Mantine that much is SM but it does check many special attackers in the meta. Seeing how Toxic Spikes only really affect two of the team members, they aren't as scary, but can be a really pain against stall. Once again thank you for the rate.

Hey buddy! It's a good team with strong offensive members and solid backbone. IMO, a semi-sand build really benefits from having a M-Charizard Y as wallbreaker, because your main goal is sweep with Excadrill. ZardY beats nearly anything Excadrill struggles like Skarmory, Celesteela, fat Water and Grass-Types while ZardY enjoys Excadrill's ability to check most Rock-Types and Electric-Types as well as beating Heatran. Also, it benefits from Pursuit support from Tyranitar removing Lati twins as well as dealing a lot of damage to Chansey if you double Zard Y into Tyranitar.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- HP Ice/HP Electric
- Roost

Since you have Excadrill to beat Heatran, you can run HP Ice to lure in Zygarde as well Garchomp and dealing a shit ton of damage to them, or, HP Electric to lure in Pelipper and take rain away from rain teams.

Good luck men!

Did I use this team correctly? I'm sort of new to the competitive side of this game and any feedback is appreciated

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-629891481
You used the team ok, but obviously this is low ladder as your opponent is using team with a lot of weak pokemon. You shouldn't have sacked clef at start as hard tyranitar is a no drawback play, but you did do it later on in the match. you probably could have doubled around more with Pex as it has regenerator. Obviously you got lucky with will-o-wisp miss as you rapid spin on the ghost type. In this case sacking excadrill wasn't bad but it also swept his team, so going hard celesteela would be the better play.

But like I said this is low ladder, once you get better at doubles, predicting etc. you'll get better and as you climb fight more competitively viable teams.

You used the team ok, but obviously this is low ladder as your opponent is using team with a lot of weak pokemon. You shouldn't have sacked clef at start as hard tyranitar is a no drawback play, but you did do it later on in the match. you probably could have doubled around more with Pex as it has regenerator. Obviously you got lucky with will-o-wisp miss as you rapid spin on the ghost type. In this case sacking excadrill wasn't bad but it also swept his team, so going hard celesteela would be the better play.

But like I said this is low ladder, once you get better at doubles, predicting etc. you'll get better and as you climb fight more competitively viable teams.
thanks for the advice I did pick up on some of that during the battle but I didn't even think about using celesteela but looking back that would have been better

thanks for the advice I did pick up on some of that during the battle but I didn't even think about using celesteela but looking back that would have been better
that's totally up to you, the role of Celesteela is to absorb Sp Atk moves and wall most faries in the meta. If you don't like using Celesteela then you can switch Celesteela to another Sp Def wall.

that's totally up to you, the role of Celesteela is to absorb Sp Atk moves and wall most faries in the meta. If you don't like using Celesteela then you can switch Celesteela to another Sp Def wall.
Yeah I was considering using a regi or Florges but they are in low tiers so probably not a good idea

Hey buddy! It's a good team with strong offensive members and solid backbone. IMO, a semi-sand build really benefits from having a M-Charizard Y as wallbreaker, because your main goal is sweep with Excadrill. ZardY beats nearly anything Excadrill struggles like Skarmory, Celesteela, fat Water and Grass-Types while ZardY enjoys Excadrill's ability to check most Rock-Types and Electric-Types as well as beating Heatran. Also, it benefits from Pursuit support from Tyranitar removing Lati twins as well as dealing a lot of damage to Chansey if you double Zard Y into Tyranitar.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- HP Ice/HP Electric
- Roost

Since you have Excadrill to beat Heatran, you can run HP Ice to lure in Zygarde as well Garchomp and dealing a shit ton of damage to them, or, HP Electric to lure in Pelipper and take rain away from rain teams.

Good luck men!
Thanks for the rate, but I wanted to build around Zard X with Arena Trap being tested, but if Arena Trap isn't banned then I'll try out the team with Zard Y.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)