SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me Kyurem seems to be the superior or well thought out "legendaries fusing with each other" idea. What exactly is the reason behind it? Sure I'll give that a chance for clarity with necro fusion. But at least design wise Kyurem's forms still look like Kyurem with elements of zekrom and reshiram ontop. Literally necrozma has the body of the box legends and to explain to someone "Oh uh yeah so that's not lunala with armor that's actually necrozma's new form" just feels strange.

Thanks for those who quoted me, but seeing that there are buildings where we previously had building sites makes me think that this game is actually a sequel, not an alternate universe. Either way, I'm eager to know what the upcoming Direct will reveal.

To me Kyurem seems to be the superior or well thought out "legendaries fusing with each other" idea. What exactly is the reason behind it? Sure I'll give that a chance for clarity with necro fusion. But at least design wise Kyurem's forms still look like Kyurem with elements of zekrom and reshiram ontop. Literally necrozma has the body of the box legends and to explain to someone "Oh uh yeah so that's not lunala with armor that's actually necrozma's new form" just feels strange.
It is possible that Necrozma "possesses" Lunala and Solgaleo, like a parasite.
Would be fitting for a dark themed plot, knowing also that for example Nihilego in S/M essentially "fused" with Lusamine in similar way.

It is possible that Necrozma "possesses" Lunala and Solgaleo, like a parasite.
Would be fitting for a dark themed plot, knowing also that for example Nihilego in S/M essentially "fused" with Lusamine in similar way.
True, and perhaps story wise necrozma saves the day by doing that, and Nebby in this version might be more violent.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
I like this parasite theory expect that in general the parasite would have to be more powerful than the host (this doesn't apply to real life, just fictional video games) and Necrozma certainly isn't, but I guess it is the portal master.

What I think, and yes, this is really terrible, is that we have some fusion type stuff going fine here. Yes, I believe Game Freak is going down the Steven Universe route.

I say this because it's clear both Pokémon show traits of Necrozma as well as the legends, which is generally what a fusion is considered to be. A parasite would be more of a mental take-over than physical.

Thoughts?

New Lycanroc-exclusive Z Move (i.e. can be used by any form) revealed as Radial Edge Storm (phonetic translation, I swear there's a word for it)! Needs to know Stone Edge to be used. Does damage and removes terrain effects.

In addition, the evolution method for Lycanroc-Dusk is revealed. Only Rockruff who have the ability Own Tempo can evolve into Lycanroc-Dusk between 1700 and 1759 starting level 25. Currently, the sole known way of obtaining such a Rockruff is via the online distribution between November 17th and January 10th.

Last edited:
And here we go again with more focus on something that didn't deserve any to begin with.

I fear this is what they are going to show in today's Nintendo Direct. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a Z-Move for something cool, like Kommo-o's case last time, instead of Lycanroc, which is exactly the opposite.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Now this is a bit of noteworthy information, especially how it evolves. Though first a correction: ALL forms of Lycanroc can learn this Z-Move, not just Dusk (it's why Stone Edge is the move Lycanroc needs to learn as all Lycanroc can learn Stone Edge, otherwise why wouldn't it use Accelerock).

Radial Edge Storm: With it using Stone Edge probably have a Power of 200+, though it's that effect which is interesting: clearing field effects. The example given is the Terrain moves, so it's sort of like a counter to the Island Guardians than? Wonder if entry hazards are also considered field effects, if they are that would be pretty significant. Could really carve a niche for Lycanroc... okay, probably for Midday and Dusk (sorry Midnight).
With these new Z-Moves getting game changing effects I wonder if they'll give the older signature Z-moves a buff too.

Dusk Evolving: So, Rockruff needs the Ability Own Tempo to evolve into Dusk. Rockruff normally doesn't have Own Tempo, thus why we need the Event Rockruff. In addition we only have a short time window each day to evolve into Dusk, meaning I guess we can evolve it into its other forms if we want (curious if those form will get a unique Ability if this is true, though if its Own Tempo obviously not worth it; or probably just become their Hidden Ability). Alright, so with this news MAYBE it's not as Event exclusive as we thought? "But only way to get it Own Temp Rockruff is by Event". True, but at least it's not a special flag we can't see, it's something visibly different meaning in the future if they want to make Dusk available all they'd just need to do is give out more Own Tempo Rockruff or, in future games, have it as a second Hidden Ability (or even change its Hidden Ability, I don't think anyone will miss Steadfast). Also, does this mean Dusk's Ability is also Own Tempo? Alright, not like Midday has any better Abilities, if there's anything Midnight can gloat about is having a pretty good Ability in No Guard... which is a Hidden Ability but hey it's something. EDIT: D'oh, forget it was revealed it got Tough Claws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mq
With a signature Z-move and Tough Claws-boosted STAB priority, I could see Dusk Forme Lycanroc making a good Swords Dance cleaner/breaker mix in the lower tiers, which already makes it a good deal better than both of its counterparts. That makes me glad; I like its design the most out of the three.

The signature Lycanroc Z-move on an already pretty high Stab to begin with could definitely carve Dusk and Midday a niche, since they definitely threaten 1hko or KO after chip damage to squishy versions of Lele and Koko, while also removing the terrain.

However, again, it's interesting design but also something extremely telegraphed in same fashion as Kommo-O's Z move.
The main issue compared to an Ash-Greninja is that Greninja still has the mindgame of having to decipher which of the two versions (Protean or Ash) you are facing until it gets revealed, while you can't exactly not know what Lycanroc version you are playing against in actual UU/OU+ or even VGC scenarios, since Lycanroc without the Z-move is mediocre, and Lycanroc Dusk is, well, unique in look.

I like the idea, but I don't think ultimately it's going to be *as* good, unless Lycanroc Dusk actually has other things to make him strong in same fashion of Ash-Greninja.

I should mention that I highly doubt that this Z-Move is going to change much for these 3 in the higher tiers, unlike Kommo-o. 1 use terrain clear isn't that great if you don't kill their Tapu with it simultaneously because they can just come back in and reset it later, and by that point, you're out of Z-Move. They don't have any way of preventing the opponent from just switching out their Tapu either, and I don't know who would bother to switch any of the Tapus into a potential physical Rock-type Z-Move to begin with. It's just a very gimmicky use for the Z-Slot in general. Maybe it'll be more relevant in VGC though.

Which is essentially what I just said, it would be extremely telegraphed: see Lycanroc, expect Z-move coming in, preserve Tapu if terrain is a key for the composition.

It's a neat idea don't get me wrong, but being it a signature Z-move, so one time use only, on a Pokemon that is probably mediocre without it won't go very far outside of very niche cases.

Oh great..more information about Dusk Lycanroc. I'm sure we are all thrilled about that one. And it gets an exclusive z move? Who woulda thought of that one? :0

I love lycanroc but come on, this wolf and the legends is all we've known for awhile.

The fact that Lycanroc (apparently, not just Dusk form) gets a signature Z move is not something that was necessarly expected.

Plus, objectively speaking, what exactly you would expect them to reveals us?

They cannot give up too much of the plot of the game, else why play it. The fact that Necrozma essentially infects/takesover the 2 legendaryes is actually a pretty good information storywise which does not give up a lot about the plot, but does tell that in fact there is a parasitary / distruptive thing to be happening, either at Necrozma's itself hands or someone else.
They cannot really reveal new Pokemon, since it's not a new generation, and the Pokedex will be the same minus maybe a mythical or two.

Revealing new moves, event specific / USUM specific pokemon, possibly some key changes to mechanics if present or to the background (like the fact it's not a following story but an alternate reality) is essentially all you can expect in pre-release issues.

About the Z-Move itself, I find its effect to be rather mediocre. At best it can be great versus Psychic Terrain if this Pokemon with a *cough* poor excuse of a base animal can outspeed Tapu Lele, as Bulu and Fini deal super-effective damage against it anyways, and Koko is rather standalone and is not surviving a powerful neutral move.

EDIT: By the way, Serebii adds a tiny piece of information:

It also fully confirms that the Shiny Silvally event announced on Monday is obtained by preordering copies of Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon in Japan

Last edited:
Evolving Rockruff into Dusk Form Lycanroc is a lot worse in Ultra Moon when you consider you actually have to evolve it between 5am to 6am due to the whole time thing.
Relatively.

Unless you *REALLY* want to use said rockruff for story (which you likely don't want to since you want to softreset or RNG for nature and EV train properly in best case), it is realistic to expect that there'll be a similar mechanic to the Lake of Sunne/Moonne where you can swap the game time by 12 hours.

Or you know, just disable Internet and change the 3ds time.

I mean, that's really the least of the problems Lycanroc Dusk has :P

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Which part of Discord will we be discussing the Direct? Orange Island and Smogon have their own channels (not to mention the subchannels within them).

They cannot really reveal new Pokemon, since it's not a new generation, and the Pokedex will be the same minus maybe a mythical or two.
Actually, an interesting tidbit here, that might even hint something about the VGC format and the in-game Pokédex.

Amazon already has the Pokédex available to preorder, as well as the guide book (I'm waiting for the collector's edition to be released, so I can buy it).

The interesting thing is that it's the National Dex. The same way ORAS and BW2 had National Dex. The second book for BW, XY and SM all had regional dexes only. That might hint the National Dex coming back to the game, and that might mean more things to reveal, more Pokémon available to catch (and a hard way for Shiny Charm again).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)