SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.GX

Mew Mew
is a Tiering Contributor
Welp, I guess we'll see about this. In the end USUM is only 1 month away at this point

I just realized, the Ubers Kangaskhan set on Smogon actually relies on Seismic Toss and Body Slam usage, which are not obtainavle in VGC scenario since I believe they are tutors/TM from previous gens.

So I stand my point on M-Kanga not being as impressive threat for 2018 :P
Kangaskhan even without SToss or Power up Punch is a primary threat in VGC. Its consistent with Fake Out support, decent damage that can still OHKO.

And here it is! Prism Armor for both forms.

Dusk Mane Necrozma gets an attack boost, whereas Dawn Wings Necrozma gets a special attack boost.
Only the Solgaleo Z and Lunala Z are required to execute the Z Moves each Necrozma form (i.e. no special Z Crystal for each form).
Solgaleo Z turns Sunsteel Strike to Sunshine Smasher (phonetically translated).
Lunala Z turns Moongeist Beam into Moonlight Blaster (phonetically translated).
Both forms get a new move: Photon Geyser (again, just phonetically translated).

They've also improved the Rotom Dex so you can better communicate with it so it'll like you more. Apparently it might even start to become like you depending on your interactions (probably based on your answers to its questions).
You can also receive an item called Rotopon which, from what I can tell, is USUM's version of O-Power, since it says you can get increased experience and money.
If you become good enough friends with your Rotom Dex, it will be able to use Z Rotom Power, which allows you to re-use a Z-Move in battle.

Last edited:
They've also improved the Rotom Dex so you can better communicate with it so it'll like you more. Apparently it might even start to become like you depending on your interactions (probably based on your answers to its questions).
You can also receive an item called Rotopon which, from what I can tell, is USUM's version of O-Power, since it says you can get increased experience and money.
If you become good enough friends with your Rotom Dex, it will be able to use Z Rotom Power, which allows you to re-use a Z-Move in battle.
I'll assume re-using Z-Moves is going to be story-only as it'd break a few things in online battles.

Would be really nice to see the O-Powers back.

Yeah hoping Story only because that’ll be BROKEN in a lot of scenarios. For example, Gourgeist can Z-Trick or Treat for +1 All and make the target a Ghost, then follow up with Never-ending Nightmare. Or Eevee using Extreme Evoboost, then whatever baton passes in can use a Z-move too. (Or Eevee uses it twice, good luck with that)

It's kind of obvious it's for story only. Being able to use 2 zmoves per battle would break competitive completely. Just think of a Pheromosa or something on those line basically getting a +2 for free....

And here it is! Prism Armor for both forms.

Dusk Mane Necrozma gets an attack boost, whereas Dawn Wings Necrozma gets a special attack boost.
Only the Solgaleo Z and Lunala Z are required to execute the Z Moves each Necrozma form (i.e. no special Z Crystal for each form).
Solgaleo Z turns Sunsteel Strike to Sunshine Smasher (phonetically translated).
Lunala Z turns Moongeist Beam into Moonlight Blaster (phonetically translated).
Both forms get a new move: Photon Geyser (again, just phonetically translated).

I'm digging those names, I really am. Also, YES faster way to grind, I was so hurt when they patched the Pelago glitch (I'm not using the Plaza, you're bad and you should feel bad). And boy, there's one part of me that's kinda hoping we can use two Z-moves even on WiFi, but then there's a huge one that's saying NO.

Also, Prism Armor on both of them is a really, really good thing.

Honestly, I’m not gonna be surprised if multiple Z moves actually ends up being allowed in WiFi battles. It wouldn’t be the first ridiculous stunt they’d pull, like Mega Rayquaza being able to hold other items, yet still being allowed online and in VGC ‘16. Why wouldn’t they want the players to use this new functionality as much as possible? While I know they’re starting to make strides to balancing the game more, such as nerfing abilities, Dark Void Smeargle, etc, GameFreak’s still a company that prioritizes fun and flashy over game balance.

Don’t think that I’d rather see multiple Z moves happen online, because I don’t either. I’m just stating there’s a good chance this feature may very well appear in WiFi battles given GameFreak’s past decisions.

There's no chance it appears in wifi battles. It'd make most VGC and Battle Spot format matches literally reduced to 3 turns.

M-rayquaza being allowed in VGC was almost acceptable and wasn't even featured in the highest 2016 VGC teams, since M-rayquaza in doubles is far less strong than it is in singles. So was Dark Void on Smeargle considering it's smeargle we talking of, and who is vulnerable by both having terrible bulk and mediocre speed tier, on top of being an inaccurate move.

Plus, multiple Z-moves will require the Rotom dex to be your friend, which we don't know how difficult that will be to make happen.

And besides, I mean, you can't possibly make storyline *easier*, it's already idiotproof. I was already outleveling everything by 4+ levels and didnt use a single Z move for 90% of the game, not sure how using 2 would make it easier lol

There's no chance it appears in wifi battles. It'd make most VGC and Battle Spot format matches literally reduced to 3 turns.

M-rayquaza being allowed in VGC was almost acceptable and wasn't even featured in the highest 2016 VGC teams, since M-rayquaza in doubles is far less strong than it is in singles. So was Dark Void on Smeargle considering it's smeargle we talking of, and who is vulnerable by both having terrible bulk and mediocre speed tier, on top of being an inaccurate move.

(Also, Ray was seen quite a few times in the Top 24 spots of the Masters Division of Worlds '16, as well as appearing a few times in the Top 8 teams from Seniors and Juniors as well.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mq
And besides, I mean, you can't possibly make storyline *easier*, it's already idiotproof. I was already outleveling everything by 4+ levels and didnt use a single Z move for 90% of the game, not sure how using 2 would make it easier lol
Gen 6: Talk about idiot-proof……

At least some of the set ups in SM is sensible (especially the annoying af Wishiwashi and alomola combo), but oh boy. Unless this ones difficulty is like heaps above SM.

Prism Armor is kinda Meh on Lunala because how ridiculously tough when it is with Shadow Shield which grants it a free resistance upon full health, and it only has 2 weakness of which it is 4x as effective, which will outright kill it when launched from a fairly powerful Mon. On the other hand Solgaleo will appreciate this filter as it would absolutely love a better continuity instead of intimidate proof which isn't bad but kinda situational.

I'd hope Photon geyser wouldn't be absolute trash on Solgaleo though (or be absolute trash on either form if it is the same thing as Prismatic laser, or worse oh god Freezing Bolt).

In before they do something dumb like primals again and make Solgaleo and Lunala's Z-moves not use up the Z-move slot.

At the very least, I hope they have some interesting effect rather than just hitting really hard.

I imagine that double Z-Moves wouldn't be allowed because it depends on your friendship with the Rotom-Dex. You can get boosts in story with Pokemon Refresh, but these don't carry into competitive. I imagine it'd be a similar situation to that.

Anyway, Photon Geyser sounds like an amazing move name, the others are pretty cool.

In before they do something dumb like primals again and make Solgaleo and Lunala's Z-moves not use up the Z-move slot.

At the very least, I hope they have some interesting effect rather than just hitting really hard.
Well seeing that the wording from 2018 VGC rules kind of spoils that cover leges should be excluded from the competition, even making the signature Zmove "ignore the Zmove limit" would just affect smogon Ubers if even. NecroLunala losing the passive means she'll possibly be *worse* than base Lunala, so at most we could see NecroSolgaleo banned to AG if even...

All in all I don't think it'd be "as dumb" as Primals not using Mega slot.

Diamond and Pearl where not fine on their own; from their lack of pokemon types, unfinished story, bad pacing and new pokemon being restricted to the postgame on their own debut Diamond and Pearl where a total mess

You might not have liked Sun and Moon and their focus on story, but to even compare them to the mess that was the 4th gen debut much less imply they where worse than Diamond and Pearl is a too rosy view on gen 4 (Platinum was legitimately great, but the begging of Sinnoh was rough)
Mate, they pulled the same stunts in GSC. Game Freak seemed to believe for a time that access to the Pokedex in their soft sequels (The even-numbered gens, until they got to gen6) should have been more of an expansion pack to an existing list instead of putting every new species right in front of you.

The only difference is, reorganizing pokemon encounters and the extra features in Platinum didn't require rewriting major story or world elements like they're doing with USUM. Imagine what it would be like if Volkner just walked up and gave you the last badge without a fight the same way Mina did. That's the point I'm trying to make.

To be honest we quite all agree that either purposely or purely by lack of time during development, S/M storyline was cut off.

The start of the game is great, all the way until Lusamine is revealed to having gone emo and kidnapped Cosmog.

After that, the game just speeds up for no apparent reason, and within 10 minutes you have beaten evolved Cosmog, went to Ultraspace, beaten Lusamine, and beaten Hapu, all in a row, with all the other element destroyed.
Type Null and Gladion just set aside completely, Lylie thrown to Kanto, the whole Trial thing, Ultrabeasts who are shown appearing and just abandoned as a "go catch X of those" in post game, Team Skull who just do nothing and completely disappear after their leader is kidnapped, etc etc, is a way bigger issue than previous gens "first batch of titles"

Agreed, pacing and lack of story development really held back Sun and Moon and significantly lessen replay value. They tried something new in terms of the trials which was great but that's it. Poni island was neglected completely. There really is just a lot missing.

USUM should go a long way to fix this. Actually exploring ultra space, a more fleshed out story (with hopefully some expansion on the origins of the Tapu), new trials, characters that seem to DO something for once (hey Lillie)...there's potential.

And if they could discontinue the whole 5% rate for new Pokémon encounter that would be great. They restarted this trend in XY and while I get that the dexes are huge, it shouldn't be an ordeal to hunt and find a region's native Pokémon ffs. Hoenn did the best job mixing old and new, imo.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
To be honest we quite all agree that either purposely or purely by lack of time during development, S/M storyline was cut off.

The start of the game is great, all the way until Lusamine is revealed to having gone emo and kidnapped Cosmog.

After that, the game just speeds up for no apparent reason
Curse of final fantasy xv, ironically both released in the same month.

Nice that they changed up the fusion mold and let the necrozma keep prism armor but with fodder’s type to boost their special moves. The re-introduction of o-powers in rotopon is a great quality of life improvement that I hope extends beyond that to things like festival plaza. Hopefully the whole rotom compatibility thing won’t be too tedious to let you reach the point where you can use double z-moves and that it’s a one time thing with no decay over time, so you don’t have to keep showering your dex with love and attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)