Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I plan on getting back into the game tonight with ZERO intention of buying packs or ANY expansions.

How bored/annoyed can/should I expect to be?
depends on when you stopped playing and how big your collection is. There were a lot of powerful cards introduced this year that became staples in many archetypes, many of them epics and legendaries but there are still a lot of relevant cards from the evergreen set despite blizz's every intention to nerf them so if you have a lot of the classic cards i'd say that makes things a lot easier.

It's also worth mentioning that the cost of building a tier 1 deck has likely gone up significantly since you last played averaging around 10k dust so proceed with caution.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
depends on when you stopped playing and how big your collection is. There were a lot of powerful cards introduced this year that became staples in many archetypes, many of them epics and legendaries but there are still a lot of relevant cards from the evergreen set despite blizz's every intention to nerf them so if you have a lot of the classic cards i'd say that makes things a lot easier.

It's also worth mentioning that the cost of building a tier 1 deck has likely gone up significantly since you last played averaging around 10k dust so proceed with caution.

I think the last time I played was before the first Expansion dropped

Deterministic gameplay is boring. That's why HS needs so many RNG effects and why Gwent will either go down the same path, or die off.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
tera melos we are nothing without you come back
I actually started playing again and now that I put some time into it, it's not THAT bad.

I kind of forgot how to play and a lot of the newer cards feel intense so starting from nothing and working up was quite a struggle.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
The Raza nerf singlehandedly destroyed the meta
Now the game is paladin, warlock, and things that beat warlock but lose to paladin. All the diversity from Raza meta is gone

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
In my experience, I still manage to consistently lose to all of Priest's dozen variants that aren't great on paper but inevitably draw the nuts against me anyway. :blobshrug:

HailFall

Well, witchwood is here.

So far combo shaman seems to be very common on ladder. It uses a complicated set of battlecries with Shudderwock in order to OTK the opponent. I think its a bit too slow/memey to see play, and both aggro and warlock tend to dunk on it. I have a suspicion that it'll die down fairly quickly once the meta stabilizes.

Rush warrior has some promise, but i think it has a very hard time handling control decks as all it really does is value trade. Town crier is one of the most broken cards ever printed and carries the archetype on its back. I'd say that with some time the deck might refine itself a bit. I'd say one problem right now is that rush warrior is the kind of deck that really wanted to run bonemare and bonemare is rip after the nerfs. Options for bigger cards now that big daddy bonemare is gone are pretty limited, though bonemare might be so valuable to this deck that you run it anyways, idk.

I think minion mage has some potential with the new 2 mana draw 3, which is super powerful obviously. we'll have to wait and see, but im sure this will be good at least sometime before it rotates.

Cubelock is broken as ever, and even more by comparison now so much of the competition is gone. I wouldnt be surprised to see this hit by the nerf bat in the balance patch. I think combo shaman might become better if this dies, as combo shaman really cannot deal with it very well

Just some observations so far.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
So I've been playing this Grinder Control Warrior deck and it is quite fun, even in this aggro meta. The main highlight of the deck is Gorehowl, which I run two copies of. This allows you to activate Deadly Arsenal, which clears just about any board (barring 8hp boards, where you back up DA with a Whirlwind). Gorehowl is your win condition - you never use it to swing at minions unless you absolutely must. With 2 copies of Gorehowl and two copies of Rummaging Kobold, you have 28 burst damage that you can apply to face. Combine that with the ability to go infinite with Dead Man's Hand, you can pretty much stall out games vs. control allowing more copies of Gorehowl. Here is the decklist:

IMG_0004.jpg

I've considered cutting King Mosh for a different card. Potentially running Harrison due to the prevalence of weapons and the need for more draw... Otherwise, I feel this deck is pretty fun to run as control, as you have to maximize the resources in your hand (such as using DA on 6 vs. using Warpath in a Pally matchup to overcome a Maul->Divine shield play). Elise the Trailblazer is another card that could be dropped in favor of more draw, however packs are very strong in the control matchups and can be used to refuel in a cinch. Feel free to copy this list and modify it as you see fit.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Neat, since I think Reckless Flurry is bad. Then again, Deadly Arsenel isn't exactly good either but it's different.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Yeah after playing more games, I think Harrison is wayyyy better than Mosh. The value from destroying a vinecleaver and the like is just too good.

HailFall

I still have no fucking idea how Genny thinks cubelock is balanced lol. Ive been playing it recently and it's absolutely disgusting. I draw poorly and I still win. I misplay and I still win. I feel gross playing it. It feels more powerful than pre nerf razakus priest to me.

I also don't get the "cubelock takes lots of skill" sentiment. It has so many ridiculously strong clears and so many anti aggro tools, along with enough pressure to pretty easily overwhelm control decks. No combo deck is fast enough to beat it in my experience aside from quest rogue and maybe miracle rogue, but I barely ever see those regardless.

If any of you are running the taldaram version id recommend swapping it for tar creepers because they totally trivialize the pally matchup and you have enough control hate tools anyways between giants/doomguard spam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)