Smogon Premier League IX - Week 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
[12:27 AM] Nails: tommy didn't switch once
[12:27 AM] Nails: the entire game
[12:27 AM] Nails: he literally just clicked
[12:27 AM] Nails: the most effective attack
[12:27 AM] Nails: every turn
[12:27 AM] Nails: after sring turn 1
[12:27 AM] Nails: except for the one turn he sded
[12:28 AM] marilli: epic

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
ok pokemon is luck and idrc as i've said, but don't spin this like you had the better odds. machamp crits 1-2 times on average and you need to have CCs left for umbreon. Skarm stalls out enough of them. Freezing was not a given in the slightest when umbreon is resttalk. In the end you got the toxic off on starmie and boomed on it anyway, in addition to para'ing the raikou, freezing, and critting what otherwise walled your team. It really doesn't matter if you got lucky or not, I just think gloating and trying to say you had the better odds is disingenuous.

tl;dr just let me have my salty 'gg i guess' post.
I would have, but I ultimately decided to post it because honestly most of the post is about the game in general than specifically our match. Little things can matter, they can add up. Case in point, 80%+ of Gen 2 teams run Spikes. ;/ Luck is more than just the obvious big swings from clutch crit KOs and low-percent status effects.

Skarm can't switch into Machamp safely anymore if Snorlax paralyzes it and it could always just die to a crit regardless, Skarm can't beat Snorlax because I had Fire Blast, Skarm does nothing to Steelix except trade phaze PP. Forretress can't do anything except switch into a boosted Machamp/Lax to threaten Explosion, and Gengar is a 100% safe response if I'm low enough for it to even KO through boosts. Raikou's safest switch is into Snorlax. (Let that one sink in for a minute.) Lax can't switch into Machamp at all and is at a disadvantage switching into another Snorlax unless you were running LK + Curse, but if you weren't FT/FB... then your team is literally incapable of killing Steelix?

Umbreon was way too defensively overloaded. It would eventually eat a crit and die, or get paralyzed and die, or fail to Sleep Talk Charm multiple turns in a row while sleeping and die, or get frozen by Gengar and die because it didn't thaw out in two turns, or get blown up by Gengar and die, or hell just run out of Charm PP because I have three Curse users and every turn you don't Charm is a turn I'm boosting and can threaten everything else. (Then everything dies.)

Just because I got some good luck (for once) doesn't mean I wasn't at a big advantage the moment I blew Starmie up. It's the only thing you had that didn't roll over to a Machamp crit, and depending on your Lax set one of Steelix or my own Lax additionally threatens your entire team.

you bitch about hax to no end so often, so don't write up paragraphs telling me I didn't get unlucky just because I said "gg I guess" and you happened to miss one completely irrelevant toxic.

ps: don't criticize my teambuilding when you brought a team almost entirely walled by umbreon bar machamp.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I haven't "bitched about hax" on the forum in years -- my reputation entirely precedes me -- and I literally admitted I had good luck. Ain't my fault you got all offended about me posting what amounted to a general lesson in statistics, so to speak, that I thought people would be interested in reading because you assumed some sort of targetted malice behind my words that never existed. :blobshrug:

Umbreon walls everything, that's kinda what it does. Its weakness is its inability to create any offensive momentum after blunting the opponent's. Incidentally, Umbreon usage this season still far exceeds that of Blissey's "1" (thx lavos).

clarifying edit: Pokémon hax

fuck hearthstone :fukyu:

Last edited:
Unsolicited statistics advice kind of comes off as a bit condescending tbh and that's probably why I got so ticked off about this. Yeah umbreon has weaknesses but imo your team doesn't exploit them as well as you say it does, especially since you didn't get spikes down. I never usually get mad over just hax, but if you go and say you were going to win most likely anyway it kind of comes off a bit rude imho.

That being said I definitely came off a bit sensitive over this and said a few rude things, so sorry about that. Let's let bygones be bygones.

edit: yea i agree this isnt my best beefing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)