CAP 24 CAP 24 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
This thread is open for WIPs, comments, and final submissions for the design of the CAP 24. Important considerations that will come into play over the course of this thread are base stats and abilities. Please see the process guide for clarification on the timing of these decisions and for the timing of the closure of this thread. Warnings will be posted multiple days ahead of submission closure.

Posting Rules

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, thread-hogging will be moderated. If you wish to add new comments or art, but don't want to hog the thread, please consider editing your most recent post to add new content.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not bump art or beg for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the CAP Discord channel or the CAP PS Room for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
  • Images posted are subject to the following rules:
    • They must be in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
    • They must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full-sized image, meaning:
    • The image is at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
    • The image has a file size of no larger than 200 kB.
  • Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • Out of courtesy to users with lower bandwidth, artists must include a warning when posting links to images with file sizes exceeding 500 kB.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.

Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists.
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, the Main Design included in image tags below that, and supporting material (if applicable) below the main design.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP Pokedex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • The image must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background. The background cannot be transparent.
  • The image must be a 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • No part of the Pokemon may be cut off by the canvas.
  • The Pokemon must be in full color.
  • The design must have a distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (i.e. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • The image must not include offensive or obscene imagery, or be intended to mock or insult the project or other users.
  • The image must be in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
  • The image must be at least 320 pixels and at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • The image must have a file size of no more than 200 kB.
  • The image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

-----

CAP 24 So far:

Topic Leader: Drapionswing

Topic Leadership Team:
SHSP
: Typing Leader
Drew: Ability Leader
reachzero: Stats Leader
mxmts: Movepool Leader

Concept:
Drew said:
  • Name - Snow or Shine (or Sand)
  • Description - A Pokemon that abuses 2 weather conditions for different effects
  • Justification - Currently in CAP, there is only one form of weather that is really worth using: rain, and only one really type of weather abuser: offensive sweeper. This concept means to address both of these issues by creating a new niche for two weather conditions. This concept would fill the archetype of a weather abuser, but I feel it also fits into the Actualization category as it would also aim to create a new role for a weather abuser for 1 or more different weather conditions.
  • Questions To Be Answered
    • Why are hail, sun, and sand underrepresented in the current metagame?
    • What makes rain the best weather condition currently?
    • How can this CAP encourage the use of other weather conditions? What do hail, sun, and/or sand need? Sweepers? Setters? Walls?
    • What weather effects are underutilized? How can we successfully use these effects?
    • How can one Pokemon utilize different weather conditions for different effects and sets?
    • Should this Pokemon be able to function outside of weather-based teams? If so, what niche would it need to fulfill? If it sets it's own weather, is it enough to abuse the weather condition on its own?
  • Explanation - For those who don't fully see how a not-sweeper weather abuser could work, take Lileep in LC for example. Lileep, mainly back in BW and XY as sand is quite uncommon in SM, is on most sand teams, as it can abuse its Rock-typing to boost Special Defense, the passive damage from sand, and its access to Recover and Toxic to become a weather abusing wall. Another possible interaction would be running Ferrothorn on rain teams to semi-nullify its Fire weakness. Not only typings are underexplored though! There are many moves, items, and of course abilities that can be used to abuse different weather conditions in a way that no Pokemon really does currently.
Typing: Grass/Fairy

Threatlist said:
Pokemon we want to beat:

Sun:
Heatran, Crawdaunt, Latios, Mega Latios, Pajantom, Zygarde,

Sand:
Heatran, Landorus-T, Tapu Bulu, Tomohawk

Pokemon we want to pressure/threaten:
Mega Mawille, Cawmodore, Ash Greninja, Kartana, Marowak-Alola, Celesteela

Pokemon we want to check Cap24:
Fire-Types: Volcarona, Marowak-Alola, Pyroak(Sand), Blacephalon, Victini
Steel Types: Mega Scizor, Excadrill, Magearna(Sand)
Poison Types: Plasmanta, Mollux, Crucibelle, Mega Crucibelle, Toxapex, Mega Venusaur(Sun)
Priority Users: Kitsunoh, Mega Pinsir, Mega Scizor, Syclant, Cawmodore
Other: Mega Alakazam, Hawlucha

Pokemon we want to counter Cap24:
Mega Venusaur(Sand)
Mega Charizard Y
Pyroak(Sun)
Chansey
Abilities: Drought/Trace

Weight: ≥334 kg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Updated around every ~24 hours!
Please use http://quanyails.github.io/CALC/index.html to check for Final Submission legality!

As we're nearing the submission deadline, I want to be super clear that YOU are responsible for knowing if your submission is illegal or not!

11bug (Final Submission)

BaffleTome (Final Submission)

BARABOY

Birkal

Blue Frog

chuckeroo777

Cresselia92

D4rk3r

DatHeatmor (Final Submission)

DougJustDoug

Drew

Durengardnit (Final Submission)

Falchion (Final Submission)

Felis Licht (Final Submission)

FriesforNapkins

Golurkyourself (Final Submission)

Gravity Monkey (Final Submission)

h_n_g_m_n

HatfulofBomb (Final Submission)

Hollymon

Magistrum (Final Submission)

Mova (Final Submission)

Mr Spyda (Final Submission)

nov

Okamu (Final Submission)

paintseagull

Pipotchi (Final Submission)

Plazzap

Professor Mesquite (Final Submission)

Prototypetrainer (Final Submission)

Quanyails (Final Submission)

Reiga (Final Submission)

Sgt.Moose (Final Submission)

SilvanRaptor

Spectator_Ion

StephXPM (Final Submission)

Sunfished (Final Submission)

thebangzats

Wulfanator72 (Final Submission)

Yilx (Final Submission)

YourFavDalmatian

Z-nogyroP (Final Submission)

ZardX (Final Submission)

Last edited:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I finally have the perfect excuse to make a plant waifu. ALL HAIL TSAREENA-SAMA
WIP

My work-in-progress design, based on a mishmash of the Desert Rose (flower) and the Desert Rose (crystal).

For this CAP, I opted for a desert-themed inspiration since a Sun+Sand abuser kinda suggests it. The Adenium seemed to be a good choice because of its ability to survive arid climates and its common name, the Desert Rose, is also shared by an interesting rock formation that is seen in deserts.

For the design, I went for a waifu humanshape body type, inspired by middle eastern dancers to be specific, to be in line with the desert theme. The Desert Rose Crystal's array of sharded plates give accent to various parts of the body, molded akin to bracelets and bands.

As always, comments, critiques and criticism is greatly appreciated.

WIP

Had an idea for a veil mon (where its veil can either cover or unveil itself depending on the weather), but I don't think making it entirely a veil would look good. So I gave it a body and made it look a little more like a bride/flower girl.

Still playing around with flower designs and the main body.

Here's the first draft (MS Paint version) of the cactus cat design I previously posted on Discord. I'll find a way to make it look more fully-evolved when I revise it, if you guys understand what I'm trying to get at. I didn't want to go for a humanoid design, though.

(Lore coming later)

Magistrum Loving the visual wordplay within your design! It seemed fitting because we're working with sun and sand at once.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
WIP

The feed back from my original design had many voicing it looked more like a dark-type rather than a fairy. Since then, I've decided to change things up. The other night, snake_rattler began talking about teddy bear chollas which is what put me on this bear inspired path. I also saw that many people had interest in quadruped over something that was bipedal. Also, there are no quadruped bears in pokemon.

The general body shape is reminiscent of the Gobi bear which lives in the Gobi Desert. This fits the dual weather roles more appropriately and gives a less-conventional desert animal a bit of acknowledgment. The color palette is that of the prickly pear because a few people kept calling it the prickly bear. I also tried to give the design a more mellow/domesticated appearance.

I've added a link to my imgur so people can follow the process and see the references I use
Link to Imgur

Thoughts?

Last edited:
WIP

I think I said numerous times I would wait for more info before making anything. Well, I quess not then.

It is a tumbleweed sheep. A very big WIP here, as it needs more polish, more experimentation, thinking about colors, pretty much everything.

Last edited:
WIP

So, this is a preliminary design I sketched a few days ago. Sorry about the orange background, but it was the sketch paper I had. The design is based on a bunch of grapes, where the top 'grape' is the Pokémon itself, and it uses its vines to carry around 'grapes' of orbs representing the weathers. I personally felt grapes would be fitting since they grow in Mediterranean climates which get quite a bit of sun as well as some more arid places on the fringe of those climates. Color, clearer lines, an actually white background, will come later, since I actually have spring break to work on this!

Update 1: So, here's a bit of a redesigned version. It's happier (a.k.a. has an actual facial expression) and incorporates grape leaves on top. I tried a version with weather symbols in the orbs but it became really cluttered so now it lacks a real tie in to weather other than the fact grapes grow in sunny climates. I also have another idea I'm working on, but it's hard to get it coming together, so we'll see if that one ever happens. Feedback appreciated as always.

D4rk3r - I actually really enjoy the concept behind this, but my immediate thought when seeing the art right now is that it's part ground type because it's digging into the earth. Not sure off the top of my head if any pokemon break that correlation, but it might be worth considering.

Magistrum - I personally prefer 1. The skirt seems a bit weird for a Pokémon (Though now that I think about it Meloetta...)

Felis Licht - Adorable; My only concern is I don't really clearly get the weather relation without reading the veil explanation.

Mova - Good idea, but as you said, doesn't really seem like an evolved mon to me. I'd also watch out to not be too similar in lion design to Litleo line, but that's just personal preference.

Sgt.Moose - I absolutely adore this concept. As a desert-dweller myself, I can tell you that most of the tumbleweeds we see around here are a pale brownish to almost a goldenrod color (though you probably google searched this already). I would suggest making the horns a bit more prominent though, as I almost didn't notice them when I was looking at it at first.

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Umbrella thingy.
Might make it look gypsy like, but I kind of like how it looks already!

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

Succulent Pangolin! A pangolin, nature's weirdest mammal ever, with a scaly, grassy hide that resembles a flowering succulent, more specifically a Echeveria kind, which when curled up looks just like one.
While a bit unorthadox for a Fairy type, succulents are generally associated as being cute and pretty sorts of flowers, coming in varieties of pastel-ish light colors and blooming pretty pink flowers. Alongside this, this design borrows more from the Chinese pangolin more than any other species, a lankier and limber species with way less rough and tough armor than its ilk, helping any supposed speed needed for Chlorophyll and owing to a more graceful, Fairy design.
Succulents, of course, are well known for thriving off without water in deserts, and pangolins live in pretty arid areas, so you bet this thing's got something with sand!

it can also be heavy if you guys are wanting it too btw, that image doesn't have any scale but it's likely pretty big so ya peace

WIP

For now it is a photograph of a rough sketch.

With a mon that is supposed to work both in sun and sand a desert theme seems inevitable, and since it is a Grass type I was looking for a succulent plant. I chose Lithops, a plant with two very thick fleshy leaves with a flower poking out between them. Since CAP24 is presumably an offensive somewhat fast mon I gave it a body with two arms and legs. Since it may also be somewhat tanky, it has thick fleshy Lithops leaves as shields/clubs and thick fleshy foot pads to make it heavier.

Last edited:
As always, comments, critiques and criticism is greatly appreciated.
I personally like the second one better. Also, I think you should make the face look a bit friendlier and cuter, as right now it looks like a mix between Maractus and Cacturne.
EDIT: Had a joke here but I don't want to potentially get into trouble, so Magistrum if you want to hear it lemme know

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Super rough concept sketch I wanted to get down. I don't think I need to explain what it is. XD

I think the lion needs something more in the middle, but the best idea I can think of reminds me of Cawmodore. :T In general, the design needs to be more inspired! Feedback and suggestions are welcome. :)

Last edited:
I don't have many comments other than i'm in love with the Pangolin done by Reiga. If this mon got Flower Gift,it would be amazing to see those flowers open. I'm definitely more of a fan of aninalistic shapes, so the two Lions and a Sheep look amazing (although the sheep feels very Prevolution though, I'm not sure where the fairy bit, comes through and the colours don't feel traditionally Grass type unless it had Dry Skin or something).

Final Submission

Based on "an apple a day keeps the doctor away," as well as the Caduceus (the staff with two snakes winding around it). Grass/Fairy made me think healing/support, so here we are. I know this is kinda similar to Malaconda but I feel like the designs and concepts are different enough to be justified.

WIP

No matter how hard I tried to find any other good concept for Grass/Fairy, I kept going back to this lovely bugger, so here he is. There are several inspirations for him, but the main one is the terrible pun on hamadryas baboons and hamadryads (tree-dwelling magical creatures related to dryads). I ended up mixing in elements of mandrills, African tribal masks, and the Egyptian baboon god, Babi, with the whole theme being a shamanistic, arboreal creature that channels magical spirits through its mask. Since baboons live in relatively dry climates and were revered in ancient Egyptian culture for presumably worshiping the sun, this concept fits the sun and sand weather themes quite well, too!

Comments and critiques are welcome as always, and I'll probably post my own feedback on some of the other entries after I get some sleep.

Been lurking around the forums a bit but never made an account, first post so apologies in advance if I messed up already
Here's a rough concept WIP, I call it "putting the succ in succulent"

https://i.imgur.com/q34pkzM.jpg
This probably looks like Salazzle and/or Blaziken except made of plants, which it is. But the concept seemed a lot cooler before I made this furry trash lookin thing.
  • How it reflects Grass-typing: It's made of plants brah. Took colors and feather shapes from desert succulents (whoops, sorry Reiga).
  • How it reflects Fairy-typing: Harpies, since some existing Fairy-types are based on nymphs, among other mythos. This is I think the weakest part of the concept since harpies have nothing to do with plants or the desert.
  • How it reflects Sun/Sand: Designed off of the roadrunner, a fast-running desert bird and I was thinking about Chlorophyll, the most common Sun-based ability. Desert succulents has the word desert in it, also they are plants that photosynthesize.
  • Other redeeming qualities: So far we have 2 bird-like CAP pokemon and one of them isn't even a bird!! We need more birds

Yeah not a very elegant concept so gib criticism

Spectator_Ion I really like the design, almost roadrunner-esque. I feel with the expression and large wings, it is more 'dragonly', and could do with a friendlier expression.

Possibly giving it longer vinelike tails, and leaving some flowers or buds on it.

Yeah not a very elegant concept so gib criticism
No offense, but the design looks like summertime R63 Grinch. Not a huge fan atm. I agree with the idea above me.
feel like the designs and concepts are different enough to be justified
Also no offense, but this just looks like a decoration on the shelf, not a Pokémon. Also, I don’t see how it’s a Fairy-type. I do like the idea of doing the Apple worm though, so keep at it.

D4rk3r: I'd love to see this in color. I'm impressed with how much personality the simple facial design has.
Magistrum: So happy to see this. I like design 1 better, because it's the I Dream of Jeannie style.
Felis Licht: I can kinda picture how your design moves. Light, floating, with the swishing of the veil.
Mova: Curious about the lines on the limbs/forehead. The tail almost reminds me of a Persian silk tree bloom, but I think it needs tweaked a little to look more flowery.
Wulfanator72: Hmm. I get dark type vibes here, along with a tiny bit of disconnect from the concept.
Escavalier Royale: Your design was cute and very fairy-like when I was able to see it.
Sgt. Moose: I like the tumbleweed concept. The design is incredibly intricate, to the point where I worry a little about duplicating it in modeling.
Okamu: The design isn't connecting with me. Maybe it's because I've been mainly thinking of a desert environment as Cap 24's habitat.
Sunfished: Reminds me of Flabebe, but the design is very fairy-like. Maybe give it legs?
Reiga: I love this design and I would love to see how it looks outside of the roughs. This one gets the "Would Want This In My Party" award.
Durengardnit: Really digging your inspiration. It kinda looks like it's got middle stage syndrome, but that makes me wonder what the prevo would look like.
ZardX: Reminds me of Cottonee.
Quanyails: I'd love to see this in a more polished sketch. Another one where I can kind of picture how it moves.
Z-nogyroP: It looks like two pokemon chowing down on a Leppa berry.
Falchion: An interesting design, but the colors are so busy that my eyes won't stop roaming over it.
Spectator_Ion: I get the impression that this is a flying type mon. I'm probably biased by Looney Tunes, but it doesn't look like a roadrunner at first glance.
Golurkyourself: Interesting, both visually and in the inspiration. The inspiration makes me picture it playing dead or burying itself in sand as a camouflage tactic.

Based on "an apple a day keeps the doctor away," as well as the Caduceus (the staff with two snakes winding around it). Grass/Fairy made me think healing/support, so here we are. I know this is kinda similar to Malaconda but I feel like the designs and concepts are different enough to be justified.
Loved the simplicity of the design! Maybe turn the apple into a Leppa berry to further diferentiate from Malaconda?

WIP
Very rough sketch of an armadillo and a pangolin, both with cacti and flowers and with little rolled up forms. I really wanted to do a pangolin, but drew an armadillo because I thought my design was a bit too similar to Reiga's, but now i really like my armadillo so I will probably combine the 2 in the end. The little flower pocket and the other flowers help show a Fairy-type, but I'm open to suggestions to make the Fairy type more apparent. Same with the Grass-type, as currently the only plant matter is that the armored shells of the rodents are cactus (no color right now but yes the main bodies are cactus). Note that this is a rough sketch so things like the pangolin's head and the armadillo's tail will be fixed. I am VERY VERY open to constructive criticism as this is my first art submission, especially criticism in regards to how I can combine these 2 designs, and how I can make the typing more apparent. Obviously I will update this with abilities and eventually finish my design!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)