Project Gen 7 Monotype PotW #12: Attribute

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Eien , Acast & Vid
Based off of OU PotW and Gen 6 Mono PotW

Welcome to the twelfth edition of Monotype Player of the Week!

(credits to Seo. for the banner)
During this project, I will be interviewing some of the most influential players in Monotype today whether it be based on their exceptional contribution to the metagame or their outstanding performance in tours. If anyone has suggestions on who should be interviewed next, feel free to PM me your ideas.
This week we have an experienced player that is experienced in tournament play and is a Monotype Driver

Attribute

Can you tell us a bit about your life outside of Smogon?
- I live in California, and I am currently going through my junior year of high school. I love to watch and play basketball, and my favorite team is the Oklahoma City Thunder. As for other games, I enjoy playing Clash of Clans, Clash Royale, and Boxhead Bounty Hunter. I also love watching Arrow and Supergirl.

Where did you get your username from?
- My username came from Bakugan, a cartoon I frequently watched when I was younger. An attribute in Bakugan is pretty much the general name of Bakugan's elements, and can be compared to types in Pokemon.

What are you most known for?
- I believe I am known for being a Monotype room driver, participating in a couple of Monotype tournaments, and being an above average Monotype player.

What made you play Pokemon competitively? What got you into Monotype and made you want to stay?
- My cousin knew I was very interested in Pokemon, so after school in 2014, he introduced me to Pokemon Showdown. After a couple of months being introduced, I have met a couple of people, some of which I still talk to up to this day. One day, these people introduced me to another server, which had leagues in it. At that day, I was introduced to Monotype, and have been hooked ever since. Aside from Monotype being fun to play, the people in the community is a good reason as to why I still play Monotype today.

What is your favorite Pokemon in general and favorite one to use competitively?
- In general, my favorite Pokemon is Lucario. Ever since I watched Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and used it constantly in Super Smash Bros., I have been a huge fan of it ever since. My favorite Pokemon to use competitively would be Mew, due to its versatility throughout the generations I have been playing Pokemon.

What is your favorite type?
- My favorite type would have to be Steel. Steel usually ends up in a lot of quick games (if the steel team isn't balance of course) and seeing Mega Scizor, Excadrill, and Heatran on the same team looks very pretty lol.

How about your favorite playstyle?
- My favorite playstyle would be bulky offense due to the amount of offensive pressure bulky offensive teams can offer and being able to rely on a defensive backbone.

What do you think of the USM meta? Is it significantly different from SM and are there any new additions you particularly enjoy? How does it fair compared to ORAS?
- I believe USM Monotype is pretty good. There is a lot of type diversity and there is some room for innovation. Compared to SM, the metagames are pretty much the same with the exception of 2 new Pokemon that teams would have to actually prepare for. Despite how diverse USM Monotype is, I don't think it is on the same level of ORAS Monotype. ORAS Monotype to me had more type diversity, more innovation, and better mechanics. Not to mention, using USM teambuilding trends in ORAS has always been something that is fun for me and something I will always try to continue doing whenever I build ORAS teams.

You’ve seen the Monotype community go through a lot during the years, what are your thoughts on the present state of it?
- I would have never thought Monotype would have gotten this far. As of right now, Monotype is quite possibly better than ever. A big reason as to why it is better than ever is due to it being an official tier, thanks to the tier leaders we used to have and currently have right now. Seeing some of the things that are being posted in the Monotype Discord News Channel makes you think of how much Monotype has grown in recent years.

You unfortunately had a really rough season in MWP, did that effect your mentality in any way?
- My mentality did get effected pretty significantly. After every loss, the expectations that I was supposed to meet always came to mind. However, I ended up just accepting my performance and moved on. I also tried to make this a positive development for myself to perform better in the future and strengthen my mentality.

Other than the competitive nature of it all, how was the tournament in general for you personally? Did you enjoy it?
- Despite the rough season, I really did enjoy this tournament. A big contribution to that is the wonderful team I had, along with an amazing manager. Couldn't have asked for a better group of people than them. Aside from a wonderful team, another reason as to why I enjoyed this tournament is due to the very few drama between the players within the tournament.

What do you think about Monotype OMs? Do you think they showed a decent level of playability in MWP? Do you enjoy any of them?
- Monotype OMs seem very fun, and is something I would want to try out some day. After seeing some gameplay from MWP, I think they can be in the same competitive level as regular Monotype. Even if I haven't played any of the Monotype OMs, I do enjoy watching Monotype AAA, as it seems as the OM with the most creativity teambuilding wise.

Speaking about tournaments, BLT is now returning! What do you think about it being brought back? Is there any team you are particularly supporting?
- BLT being brought back is excellent. It is a good way for newer players to get started in the tournament scene and one of the better tournaments a newcomer can use to get recognized. I will also be supporting the Kindred Kingdras.

Are there any up and coming players that have impressed you or that you think will make a mark in the community?
- I haven't been keeping much track of the tournament scene as of late. However, I must say Harpp has a lot of potential, seeing as he just came fresh from winning a seasonal. With more experience, he will be a threat in the near future.

Do you have any advice for players new to Monotype or trying to improve and get more involved in the community?
- Keep on playing. Perfection comes from experience, and is the reason as to why players are as good as they are. Knowing someone you can always rely on to give you help and quality battles (pretty much someone that knows what they're doing) is definitely something I recommend. You're gonna end up making mistakes in the process, but as long as you don't let losses get into your head and if you learn from mistakes, you are going to get better. In terms of getting more involved in the community, making positive contributions or posts in Monotype forums and the Monotype room in PS is always a good way to get involved.

Are there any players that influenced the way you play?
- One player that has heavily influenced me in the way I play is seasons. Back in the day, he was one of the players I wanted to be as good as and possibly even better. He was the main source of motivation I used to try and get better. I would always watch and evaluate his battles, trying to mimic how he plays and always tried to battle him in every opportunity I can get.

Who are some of your favorite people that you met on Pokemon Showdown?
- One of my favorite people I have met on Pokemon Showdown would have to be Focus Blast Misses. Even if he doesn't play anymore, he will always be someone I will remember since he was the first friend I have ever made on this site. Another person that comes to mind is xZeno/Broussard, as he is one of the people that introduced me to Monotype and how I ended up staying. Lastly, one of my favorite people I have met is Baxstenias, as he has always had my back and is a big contribution as to how I got better as a player.

Finally, can you showcase a team that you think represents your style as a player and provide an explanation on how to use it?
Scizor-Mega (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon / Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Cobalion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room

- Since my favorite type is Steel and my favorite playstyle is bulky offense, it seems right to share a bulky offensive Steel team. In most matchups, the main objective is to try and find a way to win with either Mega Scizor, Excadrill, or Stakataka. The teammates of Magma Storm Heatran, Life Orb Cobalion, and defensive Celesteela can usually make this happen.

Any last words you want to leave us with?
Have a good attitude.

This concludes my interview with Attribute. A huge thanks to him for taking time out of his day and replying all my questions with such detailed answers! Feel free to now ask your own questions to our Player of the Week.​

Favorite non WoA user
Thoughts on the usage of unsets
Thoughts on Dugtrio’s decent to hell

Congrats on getting picked for PoTW, you really are a top tier player.

Attribute

HYPNOS | pulp
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Cup Winner
Imagine not mentioning WoA as one of your favorite people. Guess your kicked now. Adios
thats not a question!
Anyone say you look like tiger woods?
nope.
Favorite non WoA user
Thoughts on the usage of unsets
Thoughts on Dugtrio’s decent to hell

Congrats on getting picked for PoTW, you really are a top tier player.
1. probs xzeno considering hes part of the reason as to how i got into monotype
2. if the unset is cool im ok with it
3. good looks
who do u fuckin hate in smogon
whos the shittest player uve played
1. no1
2. gratify!
I've never watched Arrow, or really any superhero Netflix series. Do you think it's a good show?
i personally really like arrow. despite having a pretty bad season 4, the other seasons it had were great. also, arrow and supergirl are on cw :p

Attribute

HYPNOS | pulp
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Cup Winner
How many accounts do u think it will take for me to get banned from smogon ?
no number, just as long as u give the mods ur account password
Favorite characters from both shows?
if i were to talk about the current seasons of both shows, i would say oliver and reign
thoughts on defog landorus as an offensive defogger on flying
thoughts on webs fairy
thoughts on aldertz
thoughts on this image
1. no room for defog on landorus i, no matter what archetype of flying it is
2. dont think webs fairy is great
3. no comment
4. that might be the best image i have ever seen in all my years i have been in showdown, better than mount imp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)