Resource PU Simple Question, Simple Answers Thread

Me and some friends have created a discord server based around the concept of tier lower than PU, often called FU. When I made the initial tier list. I noticed something odd, Type: Null was low enough in usage to be allowed. I find this odd since it is currently A- in the PU vr. I know Viability ranking does not = usage in any way, but i find it weird a mon so viable is so uncommon. I was wondering if anyone here knew of a reason why this might be?

Type: Null is in a weird spot in the current meta game. Even though it's one of the most terrifying setup sweepers in the tier, it gets hard walled by the so common ghost types, which are everywhere due to the Passimian suspect. Furthermore, ladder often prefers more offensive sweepers and defensive ones like Null, are often not used that often for some reason.
Thanks! Me and the rest of the server were wondering due to its ranking in PU.

I figured I’d ask this, but does Tropius have any sort of merit in this tier? It has access to Dragon Dance and a pretty decent physical Movepool, so I think it has some sort of usage

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I figured I’d ask this, but does Tropius have any sort of merit in this tier? It has access to Dragon Dance and a pretty decent physical Movepool, so I think it has some sort of usage
No, its movepool isn't very good but its awful stats are really what keep it down. Tropius just fails at doing anything relevant over Leafeon, Lilligant, Victreebel, Shiftry, Sawsbuck, etc.

No, its movepool isn't very good but its awful stats are really what keep it down. Tropius just fails at doing anything relevant over Leafeon, Lilligant, Victreebel, Shiftry, Sawsbuck, etc.
Eh, figured I’d ask. I just thought a Dragon Dancer may be nice for a team.

Why is regigigas so bad in pu? Wouldn't his bulk get him something?
If Regigigas had reliable stall options, he would be top tier, but he doesn't so he gets taken out dead in the water and is a momentmum killer. You can't start him because most leads have toxic or parting shot, and you can't leave him until the end unless you can take out their fighting. Fighting is a common type in this meta, most teams have hitmonchan or Primeape, so you'd struggle to find a way to fit him in without running too many fighting counters to keep your team afloat.

I do not know if this forum accepts this kind of question but I try: some mons of the LC, although they have a similar potential to their parent of the OU or the UU, are severely unusable for various reasons (bases stats too weak, lack of moves, etc). I have three examples:
Sprite_6_x_440.png
Happiny (if he had Soft-Boiled),
Sprite_6_x_458.png
Mantike (if he had Roost) and
Sprite_7_s_747.png
Mareanie (if he had the same defensive stats as Ferroseed)

If Happiny had these stats:
HP: 150/200
Attack: 5
Defense: 5
Sp. Atk: 15
Sp. Def: 75
Speed: 30

And this moveset:
Happiny @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

If we did a little fiction and projection, what would be their potential in PU? Would they be viable or outclassed by other tanks in this tier?

Same question for trappers like
Sprite_6_x_328.png
Trapinch,
Sprite_6_x_575.png
Gothorita and
Sprite_6_x_360.png
Wynaut (in the parallel world where Arena Trap and Shadow Trap are allowed)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I do not know if this forum accepts this kind of question but I try: some mons of the LC, although they have a similar potential to their parent of the OU or the UU, are severely unusable for various reasons (bases stats too weak, lack of moves, etc). I have three examples:
View attachment 108023 Happiny (if he had Soft-Boiled), View attachment 108024 Mantike (if he had Roost) and View attachment 108025 Mareanie (if he had the same defensive stats as Ferroseed)

If Happiny had these stats:
HP: 150/200
Attack: 5
Defense: 5
Sp. Atk: 15
Sp. Def: 75
Speed: 30

And this moveset:
Happiny @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

If we did a little fiction and projection, what would be their potential in PU? Would they be viable or outclassed by other tanks in this tier?

Same question for trappers like View attachment 108028 Trapinch, View attachment 108029Gothorita and View attachment 108030 Wynaut (in the parallel world where Arena Trap and Shadow Trap are allowed)
This isn't really the place, but honestly we don't really have a place for theorymon. There is going to be a PU theorymon thread eventually, but it'll probably be more structured than posting random things you thought up. But since you asked, yeah if you could just give mons random buffs they don't have they'd probably be better. I still wouldn't use happiny or mantyke, but mareanie would probably be usable and trapping is broken so there's definitely a niche in giving things broken abilities and assuming we don't ban them, especially gothorita.

This isn't really the place, but honestly we don't really have a place for theorymon. There is going to be a PU theorymon thread eventually, but it'll probably be more structured than posting random things you thought up. But since you asked, yeah if you could just give mons random buffs they don't have they'd probably be better. I still wouldn't use happiny or mantyke, but mareanie would probably be usable and trapping is broken so there's definitely a niche in giving things broken abilities and assuming we don't ban them, especially gothorita.
Thank you for your answer (I did not know the concept of Theorymon, maybe it will come back as a specific forum)

Hi guys

I was wondering, is there any decent way to use Poipole? He's slow and he has low dmg and bulkyness(even with eviolite) but now that Guzzlord is gone he's the only one with Beast Boost. Idk maybe along with trick room or paraspam?

Hi guys

I was wondering, is there any decent way to use Poipole? He's slow and he has low dmg and bulkyness(even with eviolite) but now that Guzzlord is gone he's the only one with Beast Boost. Idk maybe along with trick room or paraspam?
No, Poipole isn't viable at all. I know the fact that it gets Beast Boost is tempting for a lot of users, but it's just not worth it. It is simply too slow, even with a choice scarf, and it doesn't have any noticeable damage output pre boost. The Nasty Plot, Z-Move set is also just too slow and frail, and gets revenged by almost every common offensive mon like Mesprit, Magmortar or Stoutland. Furthermore, mono poison is not a great typing for an offensive mon. And by the way, Paraspam is not a viable strategy in this tier.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Is Chimecho worth using in PU? I want to use it as a Healing Wish Cleric.
If you wish for a powerful Healing Wish user I'd definitely recommend Mesprit, especially on the Scarf set as it can act as a nice way to enable another sweep while also having enough speed to ensure that the Healing Wish goes off. Trick, U-Turn, and a strong Psychic further the effectiveness of this set as a generally awesome utility 'mon.

Is it me or rain is a good idea vs magmortar because it decreases the power of its fire moves? I could see this as an emergency fire check. Also, is sticky web viable now that shuckle is here? I'm pretty sure it is, but there may be too many hazard removers for sticky web to be viable. Altaria leaving really helped because it was a great defogger.

Is it me or rain is a good idea vs magmortar because it decreases the power of its fire moves? I could see this as an emergency fire check. Also, is sticky web viable now that shuckle is here? I'm pretty sure it is, but there may be too many hazard removers for sticky web to be viable. Altaria leaving really helped because it was a great defogger.
Drizzle is banned in UU and lower so you can't utilize Politoed

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Rain is quite good at beating Magmortar, given that most rain abusers such as Ludicolo and Kabutops are Water-types, outspeeding and OHKOing Magmortar thanks to their STAB moves, Swift Swim, and rain boost. They don't really need the decrease in power of Fire-type moves, due to them already beating Magmortar without needing to take a hit.

Sticky Web is an alright playstyle; however, it does have some issues against hazard removal and Pokemon unaffected by Sticky Web, namely fast Flying-types such as Swanna. Spinblockers (Ghost-types) to block Rapid Spin, Pokemon with Defiant to deter Defog, and Flying-types checks are all needed for Sticky Web to succeed.

Hey everyone, I will be hosting a suspect tour this Saturday, April 28th at 12:00 PM EST!

Archeops will be allowed and this live tour will be conducted on the smogtours server. (smogtours.psim.us) If you have any questions or concerns regarding the suspect tour, feel free to ask me directly via PS, Smogon, or Discord.
can i join?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)