Project Ubers Player Spotlight #5: PurpleGatorade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Nayrz
Changed 'Ubers Player of the Week' from Arii Stella

1532203042124.png

Ubers Player Spotlight - #5

Ubers Player Spotlight is the place where I interview notable and respected players from Ubers, the tier where the fiercest monsters combat and exert apocalyptic force. People I choose to interview are the elite players who excel at taming the strongest monsters and have been consistent throughout tournaments and is well respected by the community.

I am open to suggestions (DMDW#8155) about the players that can be interviewed, but please keep in mind that suggested players are subjects to review by me and Ubers moderation team. With that out of the way...

Spotlight #5:

Most Known For:

UPL VI winner, 5-0 in upl, anything goes moderator/ vr council/qc member, 4th place in ag winter ssnl.

Favorite Pokémon:

My favorite pokemon by far is Houndoom. It was my first level 100 pokemon back when I was playing pokemon platinum, and I've always loved the design. Still trying to make it work in ubers :)

Overview:

I'm a 17 year old high school student, ethnically Indian, and live in California. Haven't quite decided what I want to do yet but I'm looking at going to law school eventually. Outside of mons I enjoy watching soccer (been a Man U fan forever) and basketball (shameless Warriors bandwagoner). I'm pretty heavily involved in speech and debate as well.

What is your name's origin?

I don't drink much gatorade. I don't even particularly like purple gatorade. I've actually only had a purple gatorade once in my life but it just so happened to be when I was introduced to PS. I had bought grape flavored gatorade before a sports match, and was sitting in the school library when I noticed one of my friends playing pokemon showdown on his laptop. I was immediately hooked and just chose PurpleGatorade as my name because I had a bottle of it right in front of me.

What made you start playing Pokémon?

I got into pokemon when I was around 7 because my best friend was completely obsessed with it. I got pokemon diamond for my birthday and absolutely loved it.

What inspired you to play Ubers?

I wasn't 'inspired' to play ubers originally. I laddered a bit in gen 6, but mostly because I was getting tired of klefki + darkrai hax in anything goes. I continued laddering for fun in gen 7 and peaked the ladder a few times, but wasn't really invested in the tier until I saw former AG mains succeeding in ubers, namely HunterStorm, Thimo, and Dontstealmypenguin. I figured it was worth a shot to try my luck.

What is your favorite generation of Ubers?

I only joined PS towards the end of oras, so my favorite gen is USM simply because I don't really have anything to compare it to.

What is your favorite playstyle?

My favorite playstyle is definitely balance. One of the reasons is because ho-oh (my favorite mon to use in ubers) generally fits well on balanced builds, but also because I enjoy being able to check most of the mons on my opponent's team while simultaneously putting offensive pressure on them.

What is your opinion on Gothitelle & Gothorita suspect?

I despise the goths, but agree with the no ban decision, mostly for the same reasons that Gunner Rohan outlined in the Stage 1 thread. Don't want to unnecessarily repeat what he said here.

Are there any elements of the metagame that you deem unhealthy?

No, I think the USM Ubers metagame is in a relatively good place at the moment.

What is your the most memorable game of Ubers?

vs.

This game stands out to me because it seemed inevitable that thimo would lose, but as always he had the tech to surprise his opponent. Magic coat stealth rock arceus had been a popular lead in anything goes for a while, so I thought it was really cool that thimo brought the set to ubers and clutched out a win at the last second.

Congratulations for winning UPL VI with Defiant Durians! Many believe that your performance was marvelous. How was your experience in this UPL?

Thanks! UPL was a fantastic experience for me. It was my first time playing ubers outside of ladder, and being on a team with reputed ubers tournament players like Gunner Rohan and Pohjis helped me adjust quickly. I think I definitely improved a lot as a player and builder- I realized that most of my ladder teams would not cut it in a tournament game, and I couldn't just click buttons and expect to win (shocker!). Shoutouts to Alpha Rabbit, skysolo14, Jase Duken, and My Thunder for helping me test throughout the tour. I wouldn't have been nearly as successful in this tour without the help of everyone on the Durians.

What new users or players in Ubers do you look up to?

Without a doubt, Zesty43. He's one of the most innovative teambuilders I've ever seen and his ability to read the game is insane. I still don't know how he wasn't bought in UPL but in my opinion he's top 5 USM at least.

What are your advices for new players getting into Ubers?

I would encourage them to not be afraid to ask for help, whether it be in the ubers room or discord. From my experience most of the ubers staff is knowledgeable and more than willing to help, and they can help make the tier seem less daunting than it may appear at first. I'd also encourage just joining a seasonal tournament to get early tournament experience and possibly make a name for themselves immediately.

Would you provide us with a team and add a brief description?

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Marshadow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Pursuit
- Close Combat
- Toxic

Magearna @ Normalium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Heart Swap

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Overheat
- Toxic

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Yveltal @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Defog
- U-turn

I built this team to use vs iry in upl, and it's probably my favorite usm team to date. Scarf marshadow might be objectively worse than other sets, but performs incredibly on this team, revenge killing +2 dusk mane, pdon, +1 mence, etc. and potentially sweeping after. The tried and true core of yveltal + mega gengar breaks down defensive cores with ease. I opted for a max defense arceus water on this team to improve the marshadow matchup and adequately check mixed rock polish pdon and mega salamence. Pdon needs no introduction, and magearna was added as a superior xerneas answer, a much needed yveltal check, heal beller, and all round pivot.

=
=
=

Thank you PurpleGatorade for spending the time to answer the questions! Feel free to ask other questions in this thread!

Before we get to asking questions, here are some things I'd like to announce:

• Text color will change after every four threads (people didn't like orange too much apparently)
  • From some point, I'll interview someone who isn't necessarily a tournament expert! Stay tuned.
  • Increasing number of people are suggesting me for next candidates for interview. I'm looking for a co-host who will work with me so that we can potentially interview two users per week.
That's all!

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Do you eat mac and cheese with a spoon or a fork?

Which meta do you prefer: Ubers or AG, and why?

Are there any other tiers you've been wanting to learn?

Do you think any other elements of Ubers should be suspected tested in the future? If so, which ones and why?

Are you going to sign up for snake?

Which team will win OMPL and why is it the Bewears?

Last edited:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Who do u fuckin hate in smogon
Whos the shittiest player uve played

Non-memes:
Who do you see getting drafted in Snake draft and potentially SPL?
What other metas are you interested in outside of Ubers and AG?
Any mons you think are underrated as of now and have potential to do well in the meta soon? And the other way around - mons that are overrated and will fall out of favour soon?
What's your thought process with building?
What's your favourite Gatorade flavour?

How's it feel to be the best SM uber player?

How's it feel to be the best SM Ag player?

how salty were you when HB hit thunder then para full para'd you in winter ssnl for Ag?
still have a ways to go before i can answer that
You might be confusing me with Pepa
I don't think i've ever been saltier. Worst robbery i've experienced.

Ever watched anime ? if yes list your top 3
Chloe , Pigeons or Thimo?
Engineering or Economy?
Any Other Games you play?
How Many Flashback you got after our winter ssnl series?
not really, the only movie i've watched is spirited away
love all 3 but pigeons has been my bro since day 1
economy, i'm the only indian i know who can't do math and science to save his life
nothing else that i play seriously
TRIGGERED

Do you eat mac and cheese with a spoon or a fork?

Which meta do you prefer: Ubers or AG, and why?

Are there any other tiers you've been wanting to learn?

Do you think any other elements of Ubers should be suspected tested in the future? If so, which ones and why?

Are you going to sign up for snake?

Which team will win OMPL and why is it the Bewears?
Fork of course i'm not a savage.
At the moment, ubers. AG has become way too stale and I'm just sick of the supportceus meta.
Yea I want to get into UU, it seems like a lot of fun right now
Yes, Ban all legendaries
Already did :)
Bewears because PurpleGatorade received your energy

Last edited by a moderator:
1. cutest user: greentee, breacc, zesty or gunner?
2. would u rather work w/ scarf ygod, sash marsh or banded ogre?
3. if you had to rematch sparky in randbats what would the wager be?
4. why is zesty such a qt
greentee of course
scarf yve for sure. The other two are straight up awful, I think scarf yve is outclassed but can defnitely work if you build a team around it.
If i win i replace him as Ubers RO
bc he unironically uses keldeo

1. dumbest user alive
2. gayest user alive
3. Will the Bewears win ompl
4. Am I the sexiest user alive or what
Catalystic
Catalystic
of course
no sorry that title goes to Catalystic but ur the most clutch for sure

Considering you named yourself PurpleGatorade on a whim, if you could change your name, would you want to. If so, to what?

How did I do as a UPL host?
Although I named myself purplegatorade due to a random coincidence, it's actually grown on me a lot in the past 2 years so I probably wouldn't change it. If i did for w/e reason I'd probably name myself DarkFlame because that was the name of my lvl 100 Houndoom. And I think you did great as a upl host, everything was on time and efficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Why are you a Man U fan lol. You haven’t even lived in India for the Man U craze.
2. Why do you not ladder anymore you ladder hero?
3. Who was the craziest person in durians?
4. When are you visiting India and when are you coming to Bangalore to meet up with me?5. Going forward what are your plans for mons. I see you in the uu room a lot so are you going to try and pick up that tier?

You’re a goat quite honestly and build some of the most unique, innovative and coolest teams in ubers. Keep it up dude and you’ll get utl faster than Cynara will

Why is your profile pic an orange gatorade ?
it's a bad joke i guess

1. Why are you a Man U fan lol. You haven’t even lived in India for the Man U craze.
2. Why do you not ladder anymore you ladder hero?
3. Who was the craziest person in durians?
4. When are you visiting India and when are you coming to Bangalore to meet up with me?5. Going forward what are your plans for mons. I see you in the uu room a lot so are you going to try and pick up that tier?

You’re a goat quite honestly and build some of the most unique, innovative and coolest teams in ubers. Keep it up dude and you’ll get utl faster than Cynara will
1. Man U was the first team i played with in Fifa 10 so i've liked them ever since then.
2. Honestly the ladder became kinda boring after I started playing tournaments. I might try to peak with a meme team sometime tho
3. THE Gunner Rohan of course.
4. I'll probably visit next year actually, definitely hmu lol
5. my immediate focus is to get into snake, after im done with college apps i'll probably try to get better at OU so I can (at some point) play spl. UU also seems like a lot of fun this gen so i definitely want to learn that as well.
And thanks bro I really appreciate it :) you're the main reason that I even had a chance to get drafted in upl, thanks for putting my name out there

who would win in a cage match, you or Zesty43
me of course i can take on zesty's spindly ass arms any day

Who do u fuckin hate in smogon
Whos the shittiest player uve played

Non-memes:
Who do you see getting drafted in Snake draft and potentially SPL?
What other metas are you interested in outside of Ubers and AG?
Any mons you think are underrated as of now and have potential to do well in the meta soon? And the other way around - mons that are overrated and will fall out of favour soon?
What's your thought process with building?
What's your favourite Gatorade flavour?
Don't really hate anyone
Pigeons
Definitely people like the trap god, leru, fireburn and any other established players if they sign up. Out of the newer players I think zesty, hunterstorm, cynara, terracotta, mysterious m, kyogref4n (idk if he actually quit or not), and holy break have a shot.
I think Mega mewtwo y is pretty underrated at the moment, it's able to demolish many of the standard balance teams being used in tours especially with hazard stacking. Nothing overrated immediately comes to my mind.
Nothing super special, I just start out with a 2-3 mon core that I want to use and try to fill in the defensive gaps as I go along. For tournaments, I look thru my opponents replays and try to design a core that'll work well against what they usually build but can also hold its own against most matchups.
probably the orange flavor.. I know i'm a fraud

1) If you could make any changes to the ubers VR, what would they be and why?
2) What is the most exciting match you yourself have played?
3) What is your favourite Pokemon to use in AG?
4) Who is your favourite player to play against and why?
5) What National soccer team do you support?
6) What are your thoughts on Hydreigons inevitably winning OMPL?

Last edited:
1) If you could make any changes to the ubers VR, what would they be and why?
2) What is the most exciting match you yourself have played?
3) What is your favourite Pokemon to use in AG?
4) Who is your favourite player to play against and why?
5) What National soccer team do you support?
6) What are your thoughts on Hydreigons inevitably winning OMPL?
1. I'd like Mega Mewtwo Y to move up to B+ at least, maybe even the bottom of A-. I think it's pretty underrated atm, it fits fairly easily on many spikes stacking balances/BO's and can break apart many of the standard balances being used in tours. I think it's a bit ridiculous that mega lucario and arceus-normal are ranked above it.
2. This is a hard one, but probably this game vs Holy Break in upl: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ubers-376664. We had similar balance builds and it was really fun working on breaking his team first.
3. Same answer as for Ubers: Ho-Oh! My favorite teams have always been my Ho-Oh balances, and I feel like so many teams in both tiers don't prep nearly enough for it. Choice Band is as good as ever, and I'm also really liking life orb defog with all the sr dusk manes + non rock move pdons running around.
4. Probably Pigeons. From being ladder rivals back in gen 6 to being ompl teammates 2 years in a row, it's always fun playing vs pigeons because we have really similar builds and styles of playing. My 2 series' vs him in ag ssnls were really tough because I honestly didn't know how what to bring against someone who was so familiar with my playing tendencies.
5. I support the US even tho we suck, and I'm also a big Netherlands fan, mostly because Robin van Persie was my favorite player when I was younger, but also because I just found them so fun to watch at the 2010 world cup. You can imagine how annoying it was to have neither of my teams even make it to Russia this year :(
6. first make playoffs then we'll talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)