Braviary @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Substitute
- Brave Bird

Thanks to its great stats, movepool, and ability, Braviary punches its ticket as one of NU's premier sweepers. Due to its typing, Braviary can switch into Pokemon such as Decidueye and Dhelmise to force them out and set up Substitute. Braviary can also fake its Choice Scarf set to force out Pokemon such as Vanilluxe and Whimsicott to set up Substitute. Substitute allows Braviary to exploit the immunity to status from Pokemon such as Mega Audino and Slowbro to set up Bulk Up safely. Bulk Up + Substitute allows Braviary to outlast many foes such as Steelix without Curse or Roar, as they can't break its boosted Substitute or will run out of PP trying. Since Substitute and Brave Bird wear Braviary down, it should use Roost to heal up when forcing switches so it can sweep more safely. Braviary is very weak to Stealth Rock setters such as Swords Dance Rhydon and Curse Steelix, as they can cripple Braviary's longevity with entry hazards, stop its sweep, and set up on it. Teammates such as Rotom and Xatu can deter Steelix, whereas Slowbro and Dhelmise can deal with Rhydon as well as Steelix.

Last edited:
Braviary @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Substitute
- Brave Birds

Thanks to its great stats, movepool, and ability, Braviary punches its ticket as one of the tier's premier bulky, but offensive Pokemon. Thanks to its Normal / Flying typing, Braviary can switch into Pokemon such as Decidueye and Dhelmise to force switches and set up Substitute to allow for a safer time to use Bulk Up next. Once boosted, Braviary can plough through opponents such as Medicham and Sceptile this is kinda redundant, both of these mons break its sub and scarf brav just beats them, so better to remove while being immune to status moves give examples of mons that it can setup on due to it having sub to evade status ailments under Substitute and being able to take physical attacks rather decently from the likes of faster Pokemon such as Passimian. Since Substitute and Brave Bird wear Braviary down, it should use Roost to heal up when forcing switches so it can sweep more safely as otherwise it could be KOed by priority moves and faster checks. Status moves such as Toxic and Stealth Rock wear down Braviary and leave it vulnerable to priority users and faster threats, therefore teammates such as Golbat and Blastoise that deal with these status moves respectively, are appreciated. i'd just remove this part, it's p fluff and the body of the spotlight isn't focused enough on how brav should get subs and how to utilize it well
try and focus more on how you should play when using braviary, like when you should bring it, what you should sub against bar the obvious examples, how you can bluff scarf against mons to get subs up, tag me when you've done this and i'll take another look

Conni

katharsis
try and focus more on how you should play when using braviary, like when you should bring it, what you should sub against bar the obvious examples, how you can bluff scarf against mons to get subs up, tag me when you've done this and i'll take another look
Alright I think i've implemented your suggestions in the way you wanted it, is there anything else I'm missing? (maybe a line about checks perhaps since you said to remove that first to focus on chances to set up sub)

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Just a few points:

I'd like to see more emphasis on the fact that this is a set up sweeper; you mention it once, despite it being the whole goal of this set.

Note that the combination of Bulk Up and Sub can allow Braviary to outlast many opponents, who are often not able to break its subs if it gets up enough bulk ups, or run out of PP trying to do so.

Golbat has Infiltrator, so its Toxic goes through sub, replace this example with Slowbro.

Hitmonlee is a bad mon atm, if you want an example of something you threaten out by bluffing scarf, try out say, Heliolisk. That said, unsure how relevant the point about bluffing scarf is, as its usually pretty apparent at team preview if you're running BU Brav.

I'd like to see some mention of how its really weak to specific set-up rockers, ex. SD Rhydon or Curse Steelix, which essentially nullify it's mere existence.

This ain't an official check, as I have like 0 Idea how checking for facebook spotlights works, but w/e.

Just a few points:

I'd like to see more emphasis on the fact that this is a set up sweeper; you mention it once, despite it being the whole goal of this set.

Note that the combination of Bulk Up and Sub can allow Braviary to outlast many opponents, who are often not able to break its subs if it gets up enough bulk ups, or run out of PP trying to do so.

Golbat has Infiltrator, so its Toxic goes through sub, replace this example with Slowbro.

Hitmonlee is a bad mon atm, if you want an example of something you threaten out by bluffing scarf, try out say, Heliolisk. That said, unsure how relevant the point about bluffing scarf is, as its usually pretty apparent at team preview if you're running BU Brav.

I'd like to see some mention of how its really weak to specific set-up rockers, ex. SD Rhydon or Curse Steelix, which essentially nullify it's mere existence.

This ain't an official check, as I have like 0 Idea how checking for facebook spotlights works, but w/e.
add all of this, was half way through this but yea, try and incorporate all of this

Braviary @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Substitute
- Brave Bird

Thanks to its great stats, movepool, and ability, Braviary punches its ticket as one of the tier's premier bulky, but offensive Pokemon. Thanks to its Normal / Flying typing, Braviary can switch into Pokemon such as Decidueye and Dhelmise to force switches and set up Substitute. Additionally, Braviary can also bluff its Choice Scarf set to force out Pokemon such as Hitmonlee and unboosted Vivillon and set up Substitute as well. This allows Braviary to take advantage of its immunity to status from Pokemon such as Golbat and Mega Audino to set up Bulk Up. Since Substitute and Brave Bird wear Braviary down, it should use Roost to heal up when forcing switches so it can sweep more safely as otherwise it could be KOed by priority moves and faster checks.
-mons like vani whimsi scept are better examples than viv and lee
-give advice on how to successfully break teams w this brav set, like mons that can weaken lix and don, and maybe some pivots that let brav in against the stuff it can set up on like plume
- if you have room emphasis that trying to setup and win w brav when the opp has a full health rhydon or steelix (if steelix isnt curse or roar u can actually beat it tho) is fruitless and isn't advised

after all that, should be a 1/1 from me, although please hmu on discord before sending to gp, and don't think that your work is bad, it's far from it, brav is just a fickle mon that requires a lot of nitpicking

Conni

katharsis
Talked on discord about further changes and Stan gave the heads up.
this is now ready for GP!

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I reduced the character count a tiny bit so it's closer to the limit.

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
Braviary @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Substitute
- Brave Bird

Thanks to its great stats, movepool, and ability, Braviary punches its ticket as one of NU's premier sweepers. Thanks Due to its typing, Braviary can switch into Pokemon such as Decidueye and Dhelmise to force them out and set up Substitute. Braviary can also fake its Choice Scarf set to force out Pokemon such as Vanilluxe and Whimsicott to set up Substitute as well. Substitute allows Braviary to exploit its the immunity to status from Pokemon such as Mega Audino and Slowbro to set up Bulk Up safely. The combination of Bulk Up and + Substitute allows Braviary to outlast many foes such as Steelix,(RC) without Curse or Roar, as they can't break its boosted Substitute or will run out of PP trying. Since Substitute and Brave Bird wear Braviary down, it should use Roost to heal up when forcing switches so it can sweep more safely. Braviary is very weak to Stealth Rock setters such as SD Swords Dance Rhydon and Curse Steelix,(AC) as they can cripple Braviary's longevity with entry hazards, wall stop its sweep, and set up on it. Therefore,(RC) Teammates such as Rotom and Xatu can deter Steelix, whereas Slowbro and Dhelmise are appreciated as they can deal with Rhydon as well as Steelix.(period)
GP 1/1

Last edited:

Conni

katharsis
I reduced the character count a tiny bit so it's closer to the limit.

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
Braviary @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Substitute
- Brave Bird

Thanks to its great stats, movepool, and ability, Braviary punches its ticket as one of NU's premier sweepers. Thanks Due to its typing, Braviary can switch into Pokemon such as Decidueye and Dhelmise to force them out and set up Substitute. Braviary can also fake its Choice Scarf set to force out Pokemon such as Vanilluxe and Whimsicott to set up Substitute as well. Substitute allows Braviary to exploit its the immunity to status from Pokemon such as Mega Audino and Slowbro to set up Bulk Up safely. The combination of Bulk Up and + Substitute allows Braviary to outlast many foes such as Steelix,(RC) without Curse or Roar, as they can't break its boosted Substitute or will run out of PP trying. Since Substitute and Brave Bird wear Braviary down, it should use Roost to heal up when forcing switches so it can sweep more safely. Braviary is very weak to Stealth Rock setters such as SD Swords Dance Rhydon and Curse Steelix,(AC) as they can cripple Braviary's longevity with entry hazards, wall stop its sweep, and set up on it. Therefore,(RC) Teammates such as Rotom and Xatu can deter Steelix, whereas Slowbro and Dhelmise are appreciated as they can deal with Rhydon as well as Steelix.(period)
GP 1/1
Implemented, thanks!
This is now done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)