Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Both AV tang and phys def can handle it as they usually dont run outrage. Alrhough AV has trouble with Z or banded if they are running outrage. Although, its relatively uncommon.
So what would be some good mates for AV tang on offense or balance? Since if garde is handled by tang then we don't need much of an answer for it

I meant physical that's what my entire section of questions was all about
oops, the way you responded the first dude made me believe you were asking about AV, apologies. But yeah phys def is used mostly on stall as a better tool against the physocal attackers like Kartana and Tapu Bulu as it obviously has a lot more defense investment. It also gets Sleep Powder I guess, which is interesting but in general most of the time physically defensive Tangrowth isn’t quite worthy because you lose the matchup against the likes of Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko while you don’t gain much on the defensive side. Which leads me to your next question:
How does each hold up against zygarde? Since that guy seems to be a bit of a nuisance for teams nowadays
So yeah AV Tangrowth can take on Zygarde mostly fine for as long as it can break a Substitute from Zygarde, be it with Hidden Power Ice or Grass Knot. Choice Band Outrage can 2HKO, but at that point you can just switch out and recover your HP with Regenerator. Dragoniun Z can be annoying for Tangrowth, but that set is pretty much unviable and even then you can EV your Tangrowth to eat.
So what would be some good mates for AV tang on offense or balance? Since if garde is handled by tang then we don't need much of an answer for it
You can read my post above on that :)

Hope I answered everything, lmk if I missed something

oops, the way you responded the first dude made me believe you were asking about AV, apologies. But yeah phys def is used mostly on stall as a better tool against the physocal attackers like Kartana and Tapu Bulu as it obviously has a lot more defense investment. It also gets Sleep Powder I guess, which is interesting but in general most of the time physically defensive Tangrowth isn’t quite worthy because you lose the matchup against the likes of Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko while you don’t gain much on the defensive side. Which leads me to your next question:

So yeah AV Tangrowth can take on Zygarde mostly fine for as long as it can break a Substitute from Zygarde, be it with Hidden Power Ice or Grass Knot. Choice Band Outrage can 2HKO, but at that point you can just switch out and recover your HP with Regenerator. Dragoniun Z can be annoying for Tangrowth, but that set is pretty much unviable and even then you can EV your Tangrowth to eat.

You can read my post above on that :)

Hope I answered everything, lmk if I missed something
So could we consider torn-t + pex + tang to be a good core for a team?
Oh and how does tang pair with greninja?

So could we consider torn-t + pex + tang to be a good core for a team?
Oh and how does tang pair with greninja?
Yeah, I’d just add a celesteela to check Psychic-types like Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Latios, but at that point you’ll probably end up with ABR’s Balance team, which i really reccomend btw. As you’d still want an offensive rocker and a Heatran switch in so a Heatran of yours and Mega Alakazam fit perfectly. So the core is a bit restrictive but it’s great if you can pull it off! At least that’s my take on it.

As for the Greninja Tangrowth combo I don’t see any synergy but I suppose they can be used together on a team.

Last edited:
The combination of Leech Seed and Protect often is enough to weaken them while staying healthy. In addition, offensive moves such as Heavy Slam and Flamethrower can often pose a threat to some win conditions. Read more on specific sets/moves here.
Thank you. I agree that set is best and very solid. Moreover id like to know how can it deal vs sweepers like volc or megachar what can celesstela do against them ??MAYBe it can somehow LOL

Thank you. I agree that set is best and very solid.Moreover id like to know how can it deal vs sweepers like volc or megachar whats can celesstela do against them LOL
Of curse, non single mon can handle all the metagame... And when you use celesteela, you May be running toxapex, Who takes on volc and zard :pikuh:

There's any reason to not run 216 EVs on Tornadus-T? The only thing it can outspeed at max. speed that 216 EV cannot is vanilla Alakazam, which is completly outclassed by it's mega counterpart.

There's any reason to not run 216 EVs on Tornadus-T? The only thing it can outspeed at max. speed that 216 EV cannot is vanilla Alakazam, which is completly outclassed by it's mega counterpart.
You're being a bit harsh on regular Alakazam - it's basically a slightly worse version of it's mega counterpart but it doesn't take up a mega slot, which can still be valuable for a lot of teams. Also, for the majority of teams, speed-tying opposing Torns / outspeeding 216 Torns can be worth it.

Also, for the majority of teams, speed-tying opposing Torns / outspeeding 216 Torns can be worth it.
While this is true for teams that are weak to Tornadus-T, which, quite frankly, most teams just shouldn't be anymore, I don't think it should be undersold just how valuable it is to have a slow U-turn against opposing Tornadus-T, which can be really useful to turn the momentum around.

While this is true for teams that are weak to Tornadus-T, which, quite frankly, most teams just shouldn't be anymore
Offensive Torn can get around like every defensive answer teams carry for it with one of Flyinium Z which does a lot to even SpDef Toxapex, Fightinium Z which sends Heatran, Tyranitar, and Magnezone flying, Taunt + Knock which just fucks with everything really, and other options like Heat Wave and Sludge Bomb. I get that it obviously can't run all of these at once, but saying that most teams shouldn't be weak to it is really underselling it.

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
What exactly does "fat" refer to used to describe Pokemon, i.e. a "fat build?" I always wondered this but was too scared to ask due it most likely being common knowledge but I couldn't find anything.

fat aka thicc = bulky, pretty much. this probably has to do with the fact that a good portion of bulky pokemon being kinda overweight in a way or another.

Mod Edit: not allowing fat-shaming in this thread, carry on

lyd edit: the funny part is that Leo is fat himself so ofc he’d edit my post :bloblul:

Last edited:
Took a quick look at the September usage stats and noticed a huge upsurge in Quiet Magearna spreads with Max HP and SAtk. Is Trick Room sweeper Magearna only functional on dedicated Trick Room teams? or can it function as a standalone win-con on NON-Trick Room Teams? I'm talking about the Fairium Z sets with 0 SPE IV's. Also, anyone know what the Bold 248 HP / 252 Def set is for?

Took a quick look at the September usage stats and noticed a huge upsurge in Quiet Magearna spreads with Max HP and SAtk. Is Trick Room sweeper Magearna only functional on dedicated Trick Room teams? or can it function as a standalone win-con on NON-Trick Room Teams? I'm talking about the Fairium Z sets with 0 SPE IV's. Also, anyone know what the Bold 248 HP / 252 Def set is for?
TR Magerana can be a win con by itself, but basically only on HO teams. Here is an example of an HO team with said TR Magerana
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-a-clown-story-peaked-1.3639426/#post-7857138

Last edited:
astroshagger
As far as I know the fat build with CM, Painsplit + 2 attacks is a stallbreaker because it can defeat chansey by itself and most other poke on stall too, especially after Chansey is down.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Which evs does usually run cm+psplit magearna?

Can a Bulky Sweeper Excadrill set be meta?
I'm guessing ur saying a bulky sand rush sweeper. The answer is probably not. It doesn't wall enough things and gets walled by too many things and its only recovery is a very passive leftovers. I could be wrong, but if I had to bet on it, it would be no. Sandstorm expires and has too many common weaknesses. With that being said, exca definetly has a good niche. Its a good suicide lead, sp def hazard setter and controller, and also is viable as a z move or LO sand rush sweeper.

How can I not auto-lose to Hawlucha with a Hyper Offense team that is not relying on Koko for screen support? (I am playing webs)

Its usual counters aren't nowhere to be found in HO, it's faster than all my mons, and none of them can kill it before he does, either because:
- they don't have a move that can kill past the defense boost (even Lando's Explosion never kills after SR), which allows it either to SD then OHKO all my team, or simply to attack twice
- they simply get OHKO'd right of the bat, especially if it's there to clean.

For reference, I play Ribombee/Lando-T/Kyurem-B/Serperior/Tapu Lele/Mega-Gyarados. While I have 2 intimidate users, Lando can't kill (see above), and Hawlucha hits harder than either Gyarados at -1. Lele is the only one (with Ribombee I guess, but it's long dead usually) than doesn't get OHKO'd at +0 and can OHKO back, but I'd need it to be at 100% and predict correctly its switch in...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)