OU Kyurem

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
[OVERVIEW]

Kyurem is an interesting pick in the OU metagame thanks to its ability to PP stall several Pokemon with its useful combination of Substitute, Pressure, and Roost. Kyurem's typing and respectable bulk allow it to take advantage of some of OU's premier walls, such as Toxapex and Tangrowth, and pivot into Choice-locked Kartana's Leaf Blade and Greninja's Hydro Pump. Its high base Special Attack and access to Ice- and Ground-type coverage let it hit a vast majority of the OU tier for neutral damage and can threaten many common Pokemon like Landorus-T, Heatran, and Tornadus-T. However, Kyurem's mediocre base 95 Speed leaves more to be wished for in a metagame full of faster threats that can beat it, such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Medicham, and Kartana. Kyurem is also susceptible to every form of entry hazard and requires entry hazard control to perform its niche to its fullest potential. Moreover, Kyurem's ability to PP stall takes a big hit if it is inflicted with status, which is fairly common in the OU metagame, and its typing leaves it susceptible to the plethora of Steel-, Fairy-, and Fighting-type Pokemon and moves that plague the tier.

[SET]
name: SubRoost
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Roost
item: Metronome / Icium Z
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Substitute gains Kyurem free attacking turns against Pokemon that are incapable of breaking its Substitute with one attack, such as Toxapex, Tangrowth, and Rotom-W; it also eases prediction against certain cores that try to pivot around Kyurem like Heatran + Stone Edge Landorus-T. Once behind a Substitute, Kyurem is able to PP stall super effective moves with low PP, such as Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball and Tyranitar's Stone Edge. Ice Beam and Earth Power allow Kyurem to break through common defensive backbones consisting of Pokemon such as Heatran, Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu, and Toxapex. Roost is crucial for keeping Kyurem healthy throughout the match and lets Kyurem PP stall foes with the combination of Substitute and Pressure.

Set Details
========

56 HP EVs give Kyurem 101 HP Substitutes, preventing Chansey from breaking them with Seismic Toss. Metronome pairs nicely with Substitute, allowing Kyurem to possibly muscle through defensive Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Clefable, and most importantly Toxapex, which Kyurem would struggle to break through otherwise, thanks to the additional damage per turn. Icium Z lets Kyurem use Subzero Slammer, which is difficult to switch into offensively and defensively. Subzero Slammer is especially useful if Kyurem is behind a Substitute, OHKOing Pokemon that could otherwise stomach a hit and force it out like Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele, Mega Medicham, and Clefable. Leftovers is an acceptable alternative to potentially give Kyurem more opportunities to use Substitute throughout the game, but it misses out on the additional power that Metronome and Icium Z provide.

Usage Tips
========

Kyurem's priority should be to set up a Substitute against Pokemon that it forces out or Pokemon that can't break its Substitute, such as Zygarde, Tangrowth, and Toxapex. Once behind a Substitute, Kyurem's combination of Pressure, Roost, and respectable bulk should be utilized to deplete Pokemon of their PP. Some examples include Celesteela and Clefable, as these can be PP stalled out of Heavy Slam and Moonblast, respectively, once behind a Substitute. Try to keep Stealth Rock and other entry hazards off of the field to keep Kyurem as healthy as possible and maximize its ability to switch into Pokemon it can beat like Tangrowth and Tornadus-T. Leech Seed and status conditions, especially paralysis and poison, hinder Kyurem's ability to PP stall foes, so try not to switch into status-inducing moves and avoid them with Substitute whenever possible. At times, using Substitute isn't necessary; if the opponent's team struggles to switch into Kyurem's coverage or is more offensively inclined, then attacking and weakening the opposing team for its teammates is beneficial. Kyurem should utilize its Ice- and Ground-type coverage effectively to dent common defensive backbones consisting of Heatran, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus-T.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removers, such as Tornadus-T, Rotom-W, and Landorus-T, are vital to prevent Kyurem from being worn down over time. Defensive Landorus-T pairs nicely with Kyurem because it can lure in Grass-types that Kyurem can beat with ease, such as Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu, and it can also help against physical threats that can threaten Kyurem like Mega Lopunny and Kartana. Kyurem greatly appreciates Toxic Spikes support to wear down the opposing team over time and make its job of stalling foes out easier. Toxapex is a phenomenal partner, as it can set up Toxic Spikes of its own and absorb opposing ones while helping counter Pokemon that trouble Kyurem like Mega Scizor, Volcarona, and Ash-Greninja. Reuniclus also benefits from Toxic Spikes and appreciates Kyurem's ability to beat common Taunt users like Heatran and Tornadus-T. Magearna, specifically Shift Gear and Calm Mind variants, makes for a good teammate, as it can take advantage of teams that have been weakened by Kyurem to have an easier time sweeping late-game. Magearna also appreciates Kyurem's ability to pressure opposing Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Assault Vest Magearna, and Heatran. Similarly, threatening wallbreakers like Mega Mawile and Mega Alakazam appreciate the pressure that Kyurem exerts on the Steel-types mentioned earlier and are difficult for offensive teams that can pressure Kyurem to switch into. Celesteela can form an annoying core with Kyurem, especially if paired with Toxapex, thanks to Leech Seed allowing it to slowly wear down the opposing team. Celesteela can also pressure certain Fairy- and Steel-types that can give Kyurem trouble like Magearna and Scizor. Magnezone can trap and potentially remove annoying Steel-types like Mega Scizor, Kartana, and Celesteela for Kyurem.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Kyurem has no other options that are worth using in OU, as its entire niche lies in PP stalling foes with Pressure, Substitute, and Roost while having excellent coverage with Ice Beam and Earth Power.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon, such as Mega Alakazam, Ash-Greninja, and Kartana, can all pressure Kyurem with super effective coverage or STAB attacks but are forced to take a significant amount of damage if Kyurem is behind a Substitute.

**Fighting-types**: Although they can't directly switch into Kyurem's attacks, Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny can both threaten Kyurem out with their Fighting-type STAB attacks.

**Steel-types**: Mega Scizor, Celesteela, and Assault Vest Magearna can all beat Kyurem one-on-one, but they must be careful of getting worn down over time. Mega Scizor in particular can comfortably take any hit from Kyurem and threaten it out with Bullet Punch, which Kyurem is unable to PP stall.

**Setup Sweepers**: Certain setup sweepers that don't mind Ice Beam or Earth Power, such as Volcarona and Mega Scizor, can set up on Kyurem with ease.

**Tapu Fini**: Tapu Fini can easily survive and gradually heal off any attack that Kyurem possesses and can threaten it out with its Fairy-type STAB moves.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Indigo Plateau, 216712]]
- Quality checked by: [[lyd, 303291], [Simia, 300791], [LL, 144451]]
- Grammar checked by: [[A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157], [Kris, 241023]]

Last edited:
This is pretty minor but moving 4 EVs from SpAtk to SpDef allows you to guaranteed take a Fire Blast from Zard Y. It's pretty niche, but it can be nice to finish off a weakened Zard / drop the Z or a Metronome boosted Ice Beam on them if your team doesn't have any other counterplay / pex is dead.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem in Sun: 343-405 (84.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 56 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem in Sun: 340-402 (83.9 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

[Overview]
Kyurem is an interesting pick in the OU metagame thanks to its unique combination of Substitute, Pressure, and Roost.
Be a little more descriptive of what these do. The average reader is likely not to figure it out.

[Usage Tips]
Avoid status, especially paralysis and poison, whenever possible, as status greatly hinders Kyurem's ability to PP stall opponents.
Say how you can mostly dodge these from getting behind a Substitute. I think Leech Seed is also worth a mention here.

[Team Options]
Magearna, specifically Shift Gear and Calm Mind, makes for a good teammate, as it can take advantage of teams that have been weakened by Kyurem and have an easier time sweeping late-game.
Also mention how it appreciates Kyurem wearing down the likes of opposing AV Magearna, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Heatran etc, which could prove an annoyance to Magearna otherwise.

[Checks & Counters]
**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon, such as Mega Alakazam, Ash-Greninja, and Kartana, can all pressure Kyurem with super effective coverage or STAB attacks.
Emphasize how they are forced to take considerable damage when breaking its Substitute though.

1/3, great work bud!

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Hey, this is pretty solid. Gonna add my 2c here tho. QCs call if they agree with what I say.

Overview
- Ice/Ground typing hits the entire tier for neutral damage. Feel like that's a nice selling point for Kyurem
- You mention in usage tips that Kyurem should avoid status. Since it's key roll is to PP stall with Sub + Roost, I feel like It's worth mentioning at the end of the overview about how status cripples it

Set Details

- No where in set details does it mention what Kyurem's EV spread actually does.

Other Options
- I feel like it's worth re-phrasing this. The key thing is that Kyurem can't afford to use any other moves without missing out on vital coverage options. Otherwise you could still effectively PP stall with Toxic.

Checks and Counters

I feel like Mega Scizor needs more emphasis here as it can set up pretty comfortably in front of Kyurem and although it's slower, Bullet Punch is especially threatening thanks to its high PP and priority.

Last edited:
- Ice/Ground typing hits the entire tier for neutral damage. Feel like that's a nice selling point for Kyurem
nitpick, but it doesn't hit washtom for neutral, so you'd probably wanna say "nearly the entire tier" or whatever.

to avoid this being a one liner, i would definitely have magnezone in team options, as it traps some of the steels that can be annoying for kyurem like celesteela, kartana (if zones scarfed), and mega scizor especially.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think it's probably worth mentioning why Metronome is preferred over Never-Melt Ice on this, because ATM the explanation is pretty vague and doesn't really help me understand why it's recommended specifically (it namely prevents SpD Toxapex stalemating you; if you can think of any other notable things mention them too). Also AV Mage probably isn't the best example of a Metronome target because realistically speaking you're not gonna have a super easy time getting off any major power boosts vs it, and even if you do manage to get 2 consecutive hits off it's "only" doing 50–60% anyway, which is weaker than Wise Glasses of all things (not me saying to use Wise Glasses; just drawing the dmg comparison).

Additionally I think it's probably worth mentioning some of the key moves that Kyurem is able to stall out thanks to pressure (think Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball, misc. Stone Edges from TTar etc.); it's just another case of information being vague and largely unhelpful to someone who's never used Kyurem in a PP stalling role before.

Agreeing with 3017 about the EVs; add a line that says the HP EVs allow Kyurem to make 101 HP Substitutes. Nothing else in the EVs needs explaining because it's kinda obvious, but that specific benchmark isn't immediately intuitive and as such should be mentioned.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
[Overview]

Be a little more descriptive of what these do. The average reader is likely not to figure it out.

[Usage Tips]

Say how you can mostly dodge these from getting behind a Substitute. I think Leech Seed is also worth a mention here.

[Team Options]

Also mention how it appreciates Kyurem wearing down the likes of opposing AV Magearna, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Heatran etc, which could prove an annoyance to Magearna otherwise.

[Checks & Counters]

Emphasize how they are forced to take considerable damage when breaking its Substitute though.

1/3, great work bud!
Hey, this is pretty solid. Gonna add my 2c here tho. QCs call if they agree with what I say.

Overview
- You mention in usage tips that Kyurem should avoid status. Since it's key roll is to PP stall with Sub + Roost, I feel like It's worth mentioning at the end of the overview about how status cripples it

Set Details

- No where in set details does it mention what Kyurem's EV spread actually does.

Other Options
- I feel like it's worth re-phrasing this. The key thing is that Kyurem can't afford to use any other moves without missing out on vital coverage options. Otherwise you could still effectively PP stall with Toxic.

Checks and Counters

I feel like Mega Scizor needs more emphasis here as it can set up pretty comfortably in front of Kyurem and although it's slower, Bullet Punch is especially threatening thanks to its high PP and priority.
nitpick, but it doesn't hit washtom for neutral, so you'd probably wanna say "nearly the entire tier" or whatever.

to avoid this being a one liner, i would definitely have magnezone in team options, as it traps some of the steels that can be annoying for kyurem like celesteela, ferro, kartana (if zones scarfed), and mega scizor especially.
I think it's probably worth mentioning why Metronome is preferred over Never-Melt Ice on this, because ATM the explanation is pretty vague and doesn't really help me understand why it's recommended specifically (it namely prevents SpD Toxapex stalemating you; if you can think of any other notable things mention them too). Also AV Mage probably isn't the best example of a Metronome target because realistically speaking you're not gonna have a super easy time getting off any major power boosts vs it, and even if you do manage to get 2 consecutive hits off it's "only" doing 50–60% anyway, which is weaker than Wise Glasses of all things (not me saying to use Wise Glasses; just drawing the dmg comparison).

Additionally I think it's probably worth mentioning some of the key moves that Kyurem is able to stall out thanks to pressure (think Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball, misc. Stone Edges from TTar etc.); it's just another case of information being vague and largely unhelpful to someone who's never used Kyurem in a PP stalling role before.

Agreeing with 3017 about the EVs; add a line that says the HP EVs allow Kyurem to make 101 HP Substitutes. Nothing else in the EVs needs explaining because it's kinda obvious, but that specific benchmark isn't immediately intuitive and as such should be mentioned.
did all of these; thanks for your input guys :toast:

Set Details
Icium Z is difficult to switch into offensively and can be used if the team prefers a strong one-time nuke to beat a lot of defensive Pokemon with some prior damage.
you can probably mention how the z allows kyurem to ohko offensive stuff that would break the sub and force it out otherwise like m-alakazam, tapu lele, m-medicham, etc (regular ice beam already does a lot but it's cool to directly KO them)

Team Options
Entry hazard removers, such as Tornadus-T and Landorus-T, are vital to prevent Kyurem from being worn down over time.
I'd mention Rotom-W too, you could also talk about physically defensive landorus-t which pairs well with kyurem
Magearna, specifically Shift Gear and Calm Mind, makes for a good teammate, as it can take advantage of teams that have been weakened by Kyurem and have an easier time sweeping late-game. Magearna also appreciates Kyurem's ability to pressure opposing Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Assault Vest Magearna, and Heatran.
I'm sure they are other mons that take advantage of Kyurem weakening Steels and are worth a mention.

Don't have much to add, fantastic work man!
2/3 I guess

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
with its unique combination of Substitute, Pressure, and Roost
Technically a GP thing, but we aren't supposed to use unique unless it's exclusive to the mon. Just replace it with rare or useful or smthn similar.
its typing leaves it susceptible to the plethora of Steel-, Fairy-, and Fighting-type Pokemon and moves that plague the tier.
If you're gonna talk about kyurem's defensive typing, you might as well mention how it allows it to pivot into moves it resists like hydro from gren, scarf kart leaf blade, etc.
Substitute gains Kyurem free attacking turns against Pokemon that are incapable of breaking the substitute with one attack, such as Toxapex, Tangrowth, and Rotom-W.
Mention how sub eases predictions against teams with like Heatran + Scarf Edge Lando or w/e.
OHKOing Pokemon that could otherwise force it out like Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele, and Mega Medicham, and can be used if the team prefers a strong one-time nuke to beat a lot of defensive Pokemon with some prior damage.
This talks about how it nukes offensive Pokemon but the latter part of the statement says "beat a lot of defensive Pokemon", fix that contradiction.
At times, using Substitute isn't necessary.
Specify when it isn't necessary, as this isn't really helpful to include otherwise.

Some of this is nitpicky, but I didn't really notice anything else, great work as always IP! QC 3/3
QC-LL-Big.gif

add remove (comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Kyurem is an interesting pick in the OU metagame thanks to its ability to PP stall several Pokemon with its useful combination of Substitute, Pressure, and Roost. Kyurem's typing and respectable bulk allow it to take advantage of some of OU's premier walls, such as Toxapex and Tangrowth, and pivot into Choice-locked (AH) Kartana's Leaf Blade and Greninja's Hydro Pump. Its high base Special Attack and access to Ice- and Ground-type coverage hit a vast majority of the OU tier for neutral damage and can threaten many common Pokemon like Landorus-T, Heatran, and Tornadus-T. However, Kyurem's mediocre base 95 Speed leaves more to be wished for in a metagame full of faster threats that can beat it, such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Medicham, and Kartana. Kyurem is also susceptible to every form of entry hazard and requires entry hazard control to perform its niche to its fullest potential. Moreover, Kyurem's ability to PP stall takes a big hit if it is inflicted with status, which is fairly common in the OU metagame, and its typing leaves it susceptible to the plethora of Steel-, Fairy-, and Fighting-type Pokemon and moves that plague the tier.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Substitute gains Kyurem free attacking turns against Pokemon that are incapable of breaking the its Substitute with one attack, such as Toxapex, Tangrowth, and Rotom-W; it also eases prediction against certain cores like Heatran paired with Stone Edge Landorus-T that try to pivot around Kyurem. Once behind a Substitute, Kyurem is able to PP stall super effective moves with low PP, such as Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball and Tyranitar's Stone Edge. Ice Beam and Earth Power allow Kyurem to break through common defensive backbones consisting of Pokemon such as Heatran, Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu, and Toxapex. Roost is crucial for maintaining Kyurem healthy throughout the match and it lets Kyurem PP stall opponents foes with the combination of Substitute and Pressure.

Set Details
========

56 HP EVs give Kyurem 101 HP Substitutes, preventing Chansey from breaking them with Seismic Toss. Metronome pairs nicely with Substitute, allowing Kyurem to possibly muscle through defensive Pokemon thanks to the additional damage per turn such as Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Clefable, and most importantly, Toxapex, which Kyurem would struggle to break through otherwise. Icium Z is difficult to switch into offensively and defensively, (AC) especially if Kyurem is behind a Substitute, OHKOing Pokemon that could otherwise stomach a hit and force it out like Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele, Mega Medicham, and Clefable. Leftovers is an acceptable alternative to potentially give Kyurem more opportunities to use Substitute throughout the game, but it misses out on the additional power that Metronome or Icium Z provide.

Usage Tips
========

Kyurem's priority should be to set up a Substitute against Pokemon that it forces out or Pokemon that can't break its Substitute, such as Zygarde, Tangrowth, and Toxapex. Once behind a Substitute, Kyurem's combination of Pressure, Roost, and respectable bulk should be utilized to deplete Pokemon of their PP. Some examples include Celesteela and Clefable, as these can be PP stalled out of Heavy Slam and Moonblast once behind a Substitute. Try to keep Stealth Rock and other entry hazards off the field to keep Kyurem as healthy as possible and in order to maximize its ability to switch into Pokemon it can beat like Tangrowth and Tornadus-T. Avoid status and Leech Seed on the switch or with Substitute whenever possible, especially paralysis and poison, as these hinder Kyurem's ability to PP stall opponents foes. At times, using Substitute isn't necessary; if the opponent's team struggles to switch into Kyurem's coverage or is more offensively inclined, then attacking and weakening the opposing team for its teammates is beneficial. Kyurem should utilize its Ice- and Ground-type coverage effectively to dent common defensive backbones consisting of Heatran, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus-T.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removers, such as Tornadus-T, Rotom-W, and Landorus-T, are vital to prevent Kyurem from being worn down over time. Defensive Landorus-T pairs nicely with Kyurem because it can lure in Grass-types that Kyurem can beat with ease, such as Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu, and it can also help against physical threats that can threaten Kyurem like Mega Lopunny and Kartana. Kyurem greatly appreciates Toxic Spikes to wear down the opposing team over time and make its job of stalling opponents out easier. Toxapex is a phenomenal partner, as it can set up Toxic Spikes of its own and absorb opposing ones while helping counter Pokemon like Mega Scizor, Volcarona, and Ash-Greninja that trouble Kyurem. Reuniclus also benefits from Toxic Spikes and appreciates Kyurem's ability to beat common Taunt users like Heatran and Tornadus-T. Magearna, specifically Shift Gear and Calm Mind, makes for a good teammate, as it can take advantage of teams that have been weakened by Kyurem and to have an easier time sweeping late-game. Magearna also appreciates Kyurem's ability to pressure opposing Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Assault Vest Magearna, and Heatran. Similarly, threatening breakers like Mega Mawile and Mega Alakazam appreciate the pressure that Kyurem exerts on the Steel-types mentioned above and are difficult for offensive teams that can pressure Kyurem to switch into. Celesteela can form an annoying core with Kyurem, especially if paired with Toxapex, thanks to Leech Seed allowing it to slowly wear down the opposing team. Celesteela can also pressure certain Fairy- and Steel-types like Magearna and Scizor that can give Kyurem trouble. Magnezone can trap and potentially remove annoying Steel-types like Mega Scizor, Kartana, and Celesteela for Kyurem.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Kyurem has no other options that are worth using in OU, as its entire niche lies in PP stalling foes with Pressure, Substitute, and Roost while maintaining its excellent coverage with Ice Beam and Earth Power.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon, such as Mega Alakazam, Ash-Greninja, and Kartana, can all pressure Kyurem with super effective coverage or STAB attacks, (AC) but are forced to take a significant amount of damage if Kyurem is behind a Substitute.

**Fighting-types**: Although they can't directly switch into Kyurem's attacks, Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny can both threaten Kyurem out with their Fighting STAB attacks.

**Steel-types**: Mega Scizor, Celesteela, and Assault Vest Magearna can all beat Kyurem one-on-one, but they must be careful of getting worn down over time. Mega Scizor in particular can comfortably take any hit from Kyurem and threaten it out with Bullet Punch, which Kyurem is unable to PP stall.

**Setup Sweepers**: Certain setup sweepers that don't mind Ice Beam or Earth Power, such as Volcarona and Mega Scizor, can set up on Kyurem with ease.

**Tapu Fini**: Tapu Fini can easily live and gradually heal off any attack that Kyurem possesses and can threaten it out with its Fairy-type STAB moves.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[lyd, 303291], [Simia, 300791], [, ]] (you haven't credited third QC check)
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Mitsuki: add remove (comments)
Me: add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Kyurem is an interesting pick in the OU metagame thanks to its ability to PP stall several Pokemon with its useful combination of Substitute, Pressure, and Roost. Kyurem's typing and respectable bulk allow it to take advantage of some of OU's premier walls, such as Toxapex and Tangrowth, and pivot into Choice-locked (AH) Kartana's Leaf Blade and Greninja's Hydro Pump. Its high base Special Attack and access to Ice- and Ground-type coverage let it hit a vast majority of the OU tier for neutral damage and can threaten many common Pokemon like Landorus-T, Heatran, and Tornadus-T. However, Kyurem's mediocre base 95 Speed leaves more to be wished for in a metagame full of faster threats that can beat it, such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Medicham, and Kartana. Kyurem is also susceptible to every form of entry hazard and requires entry hazard control to perform its niche to its fullest potential. Moreover, Kyurem's ability to PP stall takes a big hit if it is inflicted with status, which is fairly common in the OU metagame, and its typing leaves it susceptible to the plethora of Steel-, Fairy-, and Fighting-type Pokemon and moves that plague the tier.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Substitute gains Kyurem free attacking turns against Pokemon that are incapable of breaking the its Substitute with one attack, such as Toxapex, Tangrowth, and Rotom-W; it also eases prediction against certain cores like Heatran paired with + Stone Edge Landorus-T that try to pivot around Kyurem. Once behind a Substitute, Kyurem is able to PP stall super effective moves with low PP, such as Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball and Tyranitar's Stone Edge. (This sounds like a usage tip moreso than a moves section sentence. Consider moving it there.) Ice Beam and Earth Power allow Kyurem to break through common defensive backbones consisting of Pokemon such as Heatran, Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu, and Toxapex. Roost is crucial for maintaining keeping Kyurem healthy throughout the match and lets Kyurem PP stall opponents foes with the combination of Substitute and Pressure.

Set Details
========

56 HP EVs give Kyurem 101 HP Substitutes, preventing Chansey from breaking them with Seismic Toss. Metronome pairs nicely with Substitute, allowing Kyurem to possibly muscle through defensive Pokemon thanks to the additional damage per turn such as Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Clefable, and most importantly, (RC) Toxapex, which Kyurem would struggle to break through otherwise. Icium Z lets Kyurem use Subzero Slammer, which (you can't switch into items) is difficult to switch into offensively and defensively especially. (AP) Subzero Slammer is especially useful (you're not really talking about switching into slammer from this point forwards in the sentence) if Kyurem is behind a Substitute, OHKOing Pokemon that could otherwise stomach a hit and force it out like Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele, Mega Medicham, and Clefable. Leftovers is an acceptable alternative to potentially give Kyurem more opportunities to use Substitute throughout the game, but it misses out on the additional power that Metronome or Icium Z provide provides. (or=treat the list as singular)

Usage Tips
========

Kyurem's priority should be to set up a Substitute against Pokemon that it forces out or Pokemon that can't break its Substitute, such as Zygarde, Tangrowth, and Toxapex. Once behind a Substitute, Kyurem's combination of Pressure, Roost, and respectable bulk should be utilized to deplete Pokemon of their PP. Some examples include Celesteela and Clefable, as these can be PP stalled out of Heavy Slam and Moonblast once behind a Substitute. Try to keep Stealth Rock and other entry hazards off the field to keep Kyurem as healthy as possible and maximize its ability to switch into Pokemon it can beat like Tangrowth and Tornadus-T. Avoid status and Leech Seed on the switch or with Substitute whenever possible, especially paralysis and poison, as these hinder Kyurem's ability to PP stall opponents. Leech Seed and status conditions, especially paralysis and poison, hinder Kyurem's ability to PP stall foes, so try not to switch into status-inducing moves and avoid them with Substitute whenever possible. (That sentence flowed very poorly & avoid was used in two different contexts at the same time which is really weird) At times, using Substitute isn't necessary; if the opponent's team struggles to switch into Kyurem's coverage or is more offensively inclined, then attacking and weakening the opposing team for its teammates is beneficial. Kyurem should utilize its Ice- and Ground-type coverage effectively to dent common defensive backbones consisting of Heatran, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus-T.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removers, such as Tornadus-T, Rotom-W, and Landorus-T, are vital to prevent Kyurem from being worn down over time. Defensive Landorus-T pairs nicely with Kyurem because it can lure in Grass-types that Kyurem can beat with ease, such as Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu, and it can also help against physical threats that can threaten Kyurem like Mega Lopunny and Kartana. Kyurem greatly appreciates Toxic Spikes to wear down the opposing team over time and make its job of stalling opponents foes (opponents=players not mons) out easier. Toxapex is a phenomenal partner, as it can set up Toxic Spikes of its own and absorb opposing ones while helping counter Pokemon like Mega Scizor, Volcarona, and Ash-Greninja that trouble Kyurem. Reuniclus also benefits from Toxic Spikes and appreciates Kyurem's ability to beat common Taunt users like Heatran and Tornadus-T. Magearna, specifically Shift Gear and Calm Mind the Double Dance variant, (using the magearna analysis set name) makes for a good teammate, as it can take advantage of teams that have been weakened by Kyurem and to have an easier time sweeping late-game. Magearna also appreciates Kyurem's ability to pressure opposing Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Assault Vest Magearna, and Heatran. Similarly, threatening breakers like Mega Mawile and Mega Alakazam appreciate the pressure that Kyurem exerts on the Steel-types mentioned above and are difficult for offensive teams that can pressure Kyurem to switch into. Celesteela can form an annoying core with Kyurem, especially if paired with Toxapex, thanks to Leech Seed allowing it to slowly wear down the opposing team. Celesteela can also pressure certain Fairy- and Steel-types like Magearna and Scizor that can give Kyurem trouble. Magnezone can trap and potentially remove annoying Steel-types like Mega Scizor, Kartana, and Celesteela for Kyurem.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Kyurem has no other options that are worth using in OU, as its entire niche lies in PP stalling foes with Pressure, Substitute, and Roost while maintaining its having excellent coverage with Ice Beam and Earth Power.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon, such as Mega Alakazam, Ash-Greninja, and Kartana, can all pressure Kyurem with super effective coverage or STAB attacks but are forced to take a significant amount of damage if Kyurem is behind a Substitute.

**Fighting-types**: Although they can't directly switch into Kyurem's attacks, Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny can both threaten Kyurem out with their Fighting Fighting-type STAB attacks.

**Tapu Fini**: Tapu Fini can easily live survive and gradually heal off any attack that Kyurem possesses and can threaten it out with its Fairy-type STAB moves.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157], [, ]]

GP 1/2

went over the amcheck with Mitsuki on discord

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
[OVERVIEW]

Kyurem is an interesting pick in the OU metagame thanks to its ability to PP stall several Pokemon with its useful combination of Substitute, Pressure, and Roost. Kyurem's typing and respectable bulk allow it to take advantage of some of OU's premier walls, such as Toxapex and Tangrowth, and pivot into Choice-locked Kartana's Leaf Blade and Greninja's Hydro Pump. Its high base Special Attack and access to Ice- and Ground-type coverage let it hit a vast majority of the OU tier for neutral damage and can threaten many common Pokemon like Landorus-T, Heatran, and Tornadus-T. However, Kyurem's mediocre base 95 Speed leaves more to be wished for in a metagame full of faster threats that can beat it, such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Medicham, and Kartana. Kyurem is also susceptible to every form of entry hazard and requires entry hazard control to perform its niche to its fullest potential. Moreover, Kyurem's ability to PP stall takes a big hit if it is inflicted with status, which is fairly common in the OU metagame, and its typing leaves it susceptible to the plethora of Steel-, Fairy-, and Fighting-type Pokemon and moves that plague the tier.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Substitute gains Kyurem free attacking turns against Pokemon that are incapable of breaking its Substitute with one attack, such as Toxapex, Tangrowth, and Rotom-W; it also eases prediction against certain cores that try to pivot around Kyurem like Heatran + Stone Edge Landorus-T that try to pivot around Kyurem. Once behind a Substitute, Kyurem is able to PP stall super effective moves with low PP, such as Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball and Tyranitar's Stone Edge. Ice Beam and Earth Power allow Kyurem to break through common defensive backbones consisting of Pokemon such as Heatran, Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu, and Toxapex. Roost is crucial for keeping Kyurem healthy throughout the match and lets Kyurem PP stall foes with the combination of Substitute and Pressure.

Set Details
========

56 HP EVs give Kyurem 101 HP Substitutes, preventing Chansey from breaking them with Seismic Toss. Metronome pairs nicely with Substitute, allowing Kyurem to possibly muscle through defensive Pokemon thanks to the additional damage per turn such as Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Clefable, and most importantly Toxapex, which Kyurem would struggle to break through otherwise, (AC) thanks to the additional damage per turn. Icium Z lets Kyurem use Subzero Slammer, which is difficult to switch into offensively and defensively. Subzero Slammer is especially useful if Kyurem is behind a Substitute, OHKOing Pokemon that could otherwise stomach a hit and force it out like Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele, Mega Medicham, and Clefable. Leftovers is an acceptable alternative to potentially give Kyurem more opportunities to use Substitute throughout the game, but it misses out on the additional power that Metronome or and Icium Z provides.

Usage Tips
========

Kyurem's priority should be to set up a Substitute against Pokemon that it forces out or Pokemon that can't break its Substitute, such as Zygarde, Tangrowth, and Toxapex. Once behind a Substitute, Kyurem's combination of Pressure, Roost, and respectable bulk should be utilized to deplete Pokemon of their PP. Some examples include Celesteela and Clefable, as these can be PP stalled out of Heavy Slam and Moonblast, (AC) respectively, (AC) once behind a Substitute. Try to keep Stealth Rock and other entry hazards off of the field to keep Kyurem as healthy as possible and maximize its ability to switch into Pokemon it can beat like Tangrowth and Tornadus-T. Leech Seed and status conditions, especially paralysis and poison, hinder Kyurem's ability to PP stall foes, so try not to switch into status-inducing moves and avoid them with Substitute whenever possible. At times, using Substitute isn't necessary; if the opponent's team struggles to switch into Kyurem's coverage or is more offensively inclined, then attacking and weakening the opposing team for its teammates is beneficial. Kyurem should utilize its Ice- and Ground-type coverage effectively to dent common defensive backbones consisting of Heatran, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus-T.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removers, such as Tornadus-T, Rotom-W, and Landorus-T, are vital to prevent Kyurem from being worn down over time. Defensive Landorus-T pairs nicely with Kyurem because it can lure in Grass-types that Kyurem can beat with ease, such as Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu, and it can also help against physical threats that can threaten Kyurem like Mega Lopunny and Kartana. Kyurem greatly appreciates Toxic Spikes support (i know it's somewhat implied but the weird way of referring to toxic spikes can sometimes make it sound like kyurem appreciates having tspikes on its own side, which is weird) to wear down the opposing team over time and make its job of stalling foes out easier. Toxapex is a phenomenal partner, as it can set up Toxic Spikes of its own and absorb opposing ones while helping counter Pokemon that trouble Kyurem like Mega Scizor, Volcarona, and Ash-Greninja that trouble Kyurem. Reuniclus also benefits from Toxic Spikes and appreciates Kyurem's ability to beat common Taunt users like Heatran and Tornadus-T. Magearna, specifically Shift Gear and Calm Mind variants, makes for a good teammate, as it can take advantage of teams that have been weakened by Kyurem to have an easier time sweeping late-game. Magearna also appreciates Kyurem's ability to pressure opposing Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Assault Vest Magearna, and Heatran. Similarly, threatening wallbreakers (just "breakers" isnt enough) like Mega Mawile and Mega Alakazam appreciate the pressure that Kyurem exerts on the Steel-types mentioned above earlier and are difficult for offensive teams that can pressure Kyurem to switch into. Celesteela can form an annoying core with Kyurem, especially if paired with Toxapex, thanks to Leech Seed allowing it to slowly wear down the opposing team. Celesteela can also pressure certain Fairy- and Steel-types that can give Kyurem trouble like Magearna and Scizor that can give Kyurem trouble. Magnezone can trap and potentially remove annoying Steel-types like Mega Scizor, Kartana, and Celesteela for Kyurem.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Kyurem has no other options that are worth using in OU, as its entire niche lies in PP stalling foes with Pressure, Substitute, and Roost while having excellent coverage with Ice Beam and Earth Power.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: Although they can't directly switch into Kyurem's attacks, Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny can both threaten Kyurem out with their Fighting-type STAB attacks.

**Tapu Fini**: Tapu Fini can easily survive and gradually heal off any attack that Kyurem possesses and can threaten it out with its Fairy-type STAB moves.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157], [Kris, 241023]]
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)