OU Diggersby (Pseudo)

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Diggersby isn't necessarily a bad wallbreaker; in fact, it's actually quite difficult to switch into. Its main issue, however, is that it faces immense competition from other wallbreakers such as Mega Medicham, Mega Mawile, and even Hoopa-U. Diggersby's below average Speed stat and subpar defensive typing leave it very vulnerable to common offensive threats such as Greninja, Kartana, and Kyurem-B. Its mediocre bulk is also problematic because anything it fails to OHKO will most likely deal a heavy amount of damage to it, so it will often be dead weight against offensive teams. Overall, Diggersby has almost nothing to distinguish itself from the plethora of other wallbreakers in the tier, and there's just very little reason to use it over something else.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Return
move 3: Quick Attack
move 4: Spikes / Fire Punch
item: Choice Band
ability: Huge Power
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Quick Attack lets Diggersby threaten weakened offensive threats such as Tornadus-T and Greninja. Spikes provide great team support and help Diggersby wallbreak more effectively throughout the game by softening up Pokemon that may try to pivot into it, such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Tangrowth. Diggersby can force a decent amount of switches against bulkier teams, so it should have plenty of opportunities to lay Spikes down, giving it a slight niche over other wallbreakers. Alternatively, Fire Punch provides valuable coverage against Celesteela which resists both of its STAB moves, as well as OHKOes Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Kartana. Foul Play is boosted by Huge Power, so it's also an option for dealing solid neutral damage to most of the tier, although it provides no real coverage.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Gary, 101351]]
- Quality checked by: [[lyd, 303291], [Finchinator, 114198]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Electrolyte, 148071]]

Last edited:
Set Comments

Spikes are nice because they provide great team support and can help Diggersby wallbreak more efficiently throughout the game by softening up Pokemon that may try to pivot into it, such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Tangrowth.
  • You can probably add here that it’s one of the factor that differenciates Diggersby from other wallbreakers like the ones you had in overview.
Alternatively, Fire Punch provides valuable coverage against Celesteela which resists both of its STAB moves, as well as OHKOing Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Kartana.
  • Emphasize that Celesteela still takes a lot from Return. I know you said this in Discord but might as well say it here.

QC 1/2

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Set Comments

• You can probably add here that it’s one of the factor that differenciates Diggersby from other wallbreakers like the ones you had in overview.

• Emphasize that Celesteela still takes a lot from Return. I know you said this in Discord but might as well say it here.

QC 1/2

Honestly I think saying that Steela takes a lot from Return is an overstatement because:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 129-153 (32.4 - 38.5%) -- 3.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Protect + Lefties is pretty annoying. I guess it can't really repeatedly switch into Diggersby but I think saying it takes "a lot" would be misleading.

I added the other part though.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I feel like starting with "Diggersby isn't necessarily a bad wallbreaker" is kinda weak. I'd just change "Diggersby isn't necessarily a bad wallbreaker, in fact, it's actually quite difficult to switch into." to "Diggersby is a potent presence in the SM OU metagame; many teams lack a proper switch-in to the Huge Power bunny." I feel like you contextualize it quite well in the following sentences when you compare it to more consistently viable options in the tier, so this at least gives people a reason to consider it/read ahead. Rest of the overview is great.

Set is now good, as we discussed on discord.

Set comments seem to be fine, good stuff, 2/2

Gary

I feel like starting with "Diggersby isn't necessarily a bad wallbreaker" is kinda weak. I'd just change "Diggersby isn't necessarily a bad wallbreaker, in fact, it's actually quite difficult to switch into." to "Diggersby is a potent presence in the SM OU metagame; many teams lack a proper switch-in to the Huge Power bunny."
No.

Ready for GP.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
trying a new color scheme today

add remove (comments)
[OVERVIEW]

Diggersby isn't necessarily a bad wallbreaker;(add semicolon instead) in fact, it's actually quite difficult to switch into. Its main issue,(AC) however, is that it faces immense competition from other wallbreakers such as Mega Medicham, Mega Mawile, and even Hoopa-U. Diggersby's below average Speed stat and subpar defensive typing leave it very vulnerable to common offensive threats such as Greninja, Kartana, and Kyurem-B. Its mediocre bulk is also problematic because anything it fails to OHKO will most likely deal a heavy amount of damage to it, so it will oftentimes be dead weight against offensive teams. Overall, Diggersby has almost nothing to separate distinguish itself from the plethora of other wallbreakers in the tier, and there's just very little reason to use it over something else.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Return
move 3: Quick Attack
move 4: Spikes / Fire Punch
item: Choice Band
ability: Huge Power
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Quick Attack lets it Diggersby threaten weakened offensive threats such as Tornadus-T or and Greninja. Spikes are nice because they provide great team support and can help Diggersby wallbreak more efficiently effectively throughout the game by softening up Pokemon that may try to pivot into it, such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Tangrowth. Diggersby can force a decent amount of switches against bulkier teams, so it should have plenty of opportunities to set them up lay Spikes down, which gives giving it a slight niche over other wallbreakers. Alternatively, Fire Punch provides valuable coverage against Celesteela which resists both of its STAB moves, as well as OHKOing OHKOes Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Kartana. Foul Play is boosted by Huge Power, so it's also an option for dealing solid neutral damage to most of the tier, although it provides no real coverage.

GP 1/1

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)