Special Season 13: Ubers-only Doubles

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

The Season 13 Special ruleset is up on the Japanese PGL, it's going to be BSD with only legendaries, mythicals, and ultra beasts allowed. This means no Incineroar, no Amoonguss, no Smeargle, and no Mega Gengar...

For clarity's sake, those pokemon are: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Regigigas, Giratina, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Landorus, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Type: Null, Silvally, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, Necrozma, Magearna, Marshadow, Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka, Blacephalon, and Zeraora

RULES:
  • 4v4 Doubles (6v6 team preview)
  • everything is auto-levelled to 100
  • Only the Pokemon in the above list are allowed
  • Pokemon transferred from older games are allowed (hello niche event-exclusive moves)
  • item clause
  • species clause

So there's a pretty narrow list of viable, let alone available Pokemon. I couldn't find anything about items specifically, so I'm assuming the Primal Orbs are allowed, Rayquaza can mega, and Necrozma can ultra burst, so those will definitely be the top threats. Zeraora is also the ONLY Fake Out user, so expect that on nearly every team. Redirection is limited to a rare Japanese in-life Jirachi event, unless another Follow Me user exists. Bulu might actually be useful as a Kyo/Don check, since the other Grass-types are Shaymin, Grass Arceus, and Celebi.

Sounds like a really centralising format, but could be fun to see some weird anti-meta strategies.

tagging LegoFigure11 to get it on showdown within the week. no rush but would be fun to practice in advance

what else looks good???

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hope this is more active than this seasons special, that one died fast when people realized that most of the common threats were still bss stuff lol.

This format on the other hand seems pretty radically different! Zeraora may actually be usable here just because of Fake Out lol

Just note though, Mew also gets Fake Out via Pokemon XD. It may be slower than Zeraora, but it also has a god tier movepool and much better bulk too. I can see Mew being a damn good support Pokemon! We just need someone with a japaneses Emerald cart and Pokemon XD to help us out here, since my toys r us Mew is Sassy lol (to be fair thats still usable)

Nice, this is more or less just what I asked for at the end if season 11.

Most of the things I've rng'd and trained up are legendaries and mythicals, so should be able to throw a team or two together. If I can get my hands on a brave Necrozma I'd like to try a trick room team. (I really need to get my mileage out of this quiet Magearna I rng'd, took forever to finally hit it). Not too many things on the list appreciate being slow, so should be fun.

Also of note(?), no moody shenanigans this season. :P

Hope this is more active than this seasons special, that one died fast when people realized that most of the common threats were still bss stuff lol.

This format on the other hand seems pretty radically different! Zeraora may actually be usable here just because of Fake Out lol

Just note though, Mew also gets Fake Out via Pokemon XD. It may be slower than Zeraora, but it also has a god tier movepool and much better bulk too. I can see Mew being a damn good support Pokemon! We just need someone with a japaneses Emerald cart and Pokemon XD to help us out here, since my toys r us Mew is Sassy lol (to be fair thats still usable)
If I can get access to XD ill trade my Shiny Timid Mew over to it and see what i can do about distributing it.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
s13 special - vicmag.png

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/usum/BT-4A9A-88C6

I tried making a team, been pretty hit and miss though since it turns out it's weak to Groudon+Arceus. I want to retrain the Mew (and swap Ice Beam for something), swap V-Create for Waterfall on Ray, and maybe swap Victini for something else altogether. I just wanted to use Scarf Final Gambit + TR Mag to get +2 SpA while getting TR up and then sweep, with 3 strongmon forme-changers (Ray+Don+Necro). It's special attacking Ultra Necro with Dusk Mane as base since I kinda thought it could bluff physical and the typing pre-ultra is handy.

I think Zeraora could actually be kinda legit with Fake Out, Plasma Fists for Extreme Speed spam, Endeavor, and HP Water for Groudon. Marshadow could also be cool as a way of checking ekiller Arceus.

can we get a team dump?
There's some teams in this thread: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/build-around-that-battle-spot-special-13.3642956/post-7954630
You can also get away with just slapping together the best 6 mons and see how you go. Something like Arceus, Ray, Groudon, Kyogre, Yveltal, Xern lol. With the super restricted banlist you sadly won't see a heap of variation unless you're running something gimmicky like this Victini team I'm trying.

I'll go ahead and tag Theorymon though because I know he's been building like crazy for this

I think Zeraora could actually be kinda legit with Fake Out, Plasma Fists for Extreme Speed spam
Espeed being priority kills any chance of Plasma Fists stopping it.
-
Personally, I'd swap the Victini for a Kyogre or an Arceus and then make Magearna Shuca berry. Any team using Ray without some kind of water feels a little off to me in general, at the very least Waterfall on Ray itself. And tbh, Mew feels somewhat out of place without any serious setup stuff for it to support, but if you had Ekiller then that would be something Fake Out/Transform could work with. You already know my opinion on Hone Claws, but if you wanted a support option in that slot, Twave or Roar aren't bad fits tbh. Sub can be nice too when you've got Mew. Due to you having Tail-room, mixed Groudon might not be a bad idea either. Earth Power is very strong in the mirror if you're moving first. It's a very versatile mon with lots to try out.

Last edited:
I have been -ab-using Dark Void cheese. Darkrai has a good speed of 125 only outsped by Deoxys, Mewtwo, Zero and scarfers which are all uncommon. I've seen some bulky Hypnosis/Foul Play sets too. So far I gotta say I expected more TR but tbh the meta is so offensive is really whoever hits first hard kinda wins.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of interest in this season, I've yet to find someone to battle.
The special ladders are usually pretty quiet, especially after the first few weeks (and especially when a new game comes out).

The showdown ladder is completely inactive so don't bother there. If you're trying to play on your 3DS then you should search exclusively during Japanese evenings, as theyre the main / only players. If you're on the US East Coast then you're kinda stuck with a window of 6-10am (8pm-12am JST). Korea has the same timezone and they're the second biggest playerbase. But even during those times, interest this far into the season usually dies off as those players hit 1700-1750 and move back to BSS / VGC.

Just thought I'd give it a try, gives me a reason to use Zeraora. Not going to go out of my way to find a battle, so looks like it's back to Championship Battle Rules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)