Shuckle @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Final Gambit

I call this a lure. Easily, switching, freely set-up, and then click another move.
Final Gambit is for those dumb Eevee, EQ and Stone Edge for attacks.
You could also run Special.
Gets Earth Power and Sludge Wave/Bomb.

Do you want to make someone hate you? Because I have just the thing for that:

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Infestation
- Protect

If someone tries to set up on it, they start losing HP too fast to stay on the field. Unfortunately for them, Infestation doesn't let them escape without killing you first, and you have the bulk to absorb a hit or two, especially with Leech Seed/Leftovers ticking on you while you Protect. And if their setup starts becoming a threat, you can just swap out to...

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Heal Bell
- Moonlight

Hope you have Mold Breaker, because otherwise you're not getting through this. It does absolutely nothing against Dark types, but it does. not. die.

Corsola @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear / Throat Chop / Explosion

My last contribution for now. Hustle Head Smash was discussed earlier on Nidorino, but Corsola also gets STAB from it. Liquidation and EQ for coverage, but I've mostly just been Head Smashing everything I see.

I'm going to share this niche pokemon.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf / Leftovers
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Transform

Ditto is always just a niche of countersweeping, but here the added stats benefits this little guy a lot. It allows it to even switch-in on some passive mon or the pokemon can resists its own attacks. It can scout more reliably here than in other tier. For the investment, maximum speed is a must so you can transform as fast as possible and Max HP since Ditto doesn't have any attacks. Choice Scarf gives it a guaranteed winning a speed unless its a web team. Leftovers gives it some longevity, especially against passive mons. For me, I think Ditto deserves some use in this format.

I think even if they had webs it wouldn’t matter since you would take the webs lowering your speed, then transform into the opponent, removing that lowering of speed. I think Ditto is definitely better in Averagemons but I don’t really know how good it is, as it really depends on what kinds of moves your opponent puts into their Pokémon’s moveslots, like if they are super-effective against themselves or not.

I think even if they had webs it wouldn’t matter since you would take the webs lowering your speed, then transform into the opponent, removing that lowering of speed. I think Ditto is definitely better in Averagemons but I don’t really know how good it is, as it really depends on what kinds of moves your opponent puts into their Pokémon’s moveslots, like if they are super-effective against themselves or not.
One thing I learned from BH and MnM is: Ditto isn't your normal switch-in.
This beautiful Pokemon isn't made for just throwing in and hope you hit something.
It's supposed to switch-in on stat boosts. Which this meta is mostly comprised of.
So that Contrary Serperior in your way? What about that Autotomized NDM? Switch-in Ditto.
It will instantly get the stat boosts that thing has been making, plus Scarf means it's automatically faster, and then you click a move. And sweep. And win games.

But if you're seriously worried about Webs, remove them before you switch-in Ditto. Scarf Defoggers exist, people.

Ready for +2 LO STAB BoltBeam?

Kecleon @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Icy Wind / Fire Blast / Shadow Ball / HP Grass / Shadow Sneak
- Nasty Plot

Sticky Webs and Rocks Recommended.
No one sees this one coming, so they usually Will-O-Wisp or something while you freely set up.

Unaware Swoobat and Deep Sea Scale Clampearl don't appreciative the super effective LO STAB.
For Unaware Wooper you have to run HP Grass.
Unaware Clefable needs to be killed with another mon before setting up.

Icy Wind is for Dragonite, so after a DD he wont outspeed you or for more speed control.
Shadow Sneak is for priority and for a fast Fighting Immunity.

Calcs:

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Kecleon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 408-484 (100.9 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So super effective move that's 80+ BP = OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Kecleon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 320-376 (93.8 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

So mutual not invested means OHKO after Spikes / Rocks / taking a hit before.

Now for the Unawares and DSS Clampearl:

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Kecleon Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Swoobat: 229-273 (56.6 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Kecleon Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deep Sea Scale Clamperl: 229-273 (56.6 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Kecleon Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Wooper: 302-364 (74.7 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Kecleon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Clefable: 114-136 (28.2 - 33.6%) -- 95.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

So just Clefable is a problem, After Cancerfairy died, and you have a sticky web and rocks up, just sweep

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I'm going to share this niche pokemon.
Ditto @ Choice Scarf / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Transform
Ditto is always just a niche of countersweeping, but here the added stats benefits this little guy a lot. It allows it to even switch-in on some passive mon or the pokemon can resists its own attacks. It can scout more reliably here than in other tier. For the investment, maximum speed is a must so you can transform as fast as possible and Max HP since Ditto doesn't have any attacks. Choice Scarf gives it a guaranteed winning a speed unless its a web team. Leftovers gives it some longevity, especially against passive mons. For me, I think Ditto deserves some use in this format.
I've seen a couple Ditto on the ladder. The equal HP with everyone else (often more due to the investment) really gives this guy the boost it needed.

Is CM Sableye a sufficient check for Swoobat? It wouldn't be able to 2HKO Sableye so long as you keep up in the CM war, and snarl helps to keep Swoobat's damage output low. That said, you won't be doing much damage to Swoobat either after it gets some SpD boosts from CM, and I'm not sure who would win the PP stall war. I think CM Sableye is great outside of this match up, so I would rather use it, but I am thinking of using punishment on Sableye because of the set-up heavy nature of this OM, with Swoobat being the primary target for punishment.

Is CM Sableye a sufficient check for Swoobat? It wouldn't be able to 2HKO Sableye so long as you keep up in the CM war, and snarl helps to keep Swoobat's damage output low. That said, you won't be doing much damage to Swoobat either after it gets some SpD boosts from CM, and I'm not sure who would win the PP stall war. I think CM Sableye is great outside of this match up, so I would rather use it, but I am thinking of using punishment on Sableye because of the set-up heavy nature of this OM, with Swoobat being the primary target for punishment.
taunt sab is a better check IMO

I've been running this rather interesting set during laddering with 2 accounts.

Mienfoo @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Rock Tomb

I've been using this as a special tank, notably being able to switch-in against Choice Specs Exploud's Boomburst and Sheer Force Life Orb Nidoking's Sludge Wave and can avoid a 2HKO from them, though it can't do anything on the latter aside from removing its Life Orb with Knock Off. You might say there's another Regen mon with Pivoting Move in the name of Tornadus-Therian, the difference from 2 is their type-effectiveness against Rock. Tornadus-Therian is 2HKOed by them after rocks where as Mienfoo can still avoid it.

Here's a calc, you can also see the difference(note: I change all their stats to 100, and their type too) :

For Tornadus Therian :

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-Therian: 151-178 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-Therian: 146-174 (36.3 - 43.2%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

For Mienfoo :

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Mienfoo: 151-178 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Mew: 117-138 (29.1 - 34.3%) -- 63.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

You might see I used the calc on Nido's Sludge Wave on Mienfoo, but uses Ice Beam against Torn-T, that's because Nidoking doesn't have any strong super-effective special move against Mienfoo. Also, I used Rock Tomb on the last slot over Stone Edge because of the guaranteed Speed Drop coming from Rock Tomb, which is helpful considering many speed ties happening. You can used Mienshao, but they were the same in terms of typing and movepool.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
After playing some games of Averagemons, I've found that there are some mons that probably require at least a suspect test:

Nidoking is known for being incredibly strong in regular tiers, and is usually checked using fat special walls like Blissey and revenge killers like Krookodile. The problem is, Averagemons neuters both of those strategies by equalizing everyone's stats, causing this:
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 157-187 (38.8 - 46.2%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
It has perfect coverage with BoltBeam and its STABs, with almost no reliable defensive switchin (besides those with Assault Vest and Regenerator), and is also hard to take down due to its good defenses, making it a nightmare to face against balance and stall teams.

If you thought Nidoking was strong, Araquanid blows that out of the water, pun intended:
252 SpA Choice Specs Water Bubble Araquanid Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 266-314 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 252-296 (62.3 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Thankfully, its movepool leaves a lot to be desired, allowing physical sets to be checked with Primal Groudon and special sets to be checked by Water-types. Then again, Primal Groudon has to use Rest to counter Araquanid completely, which loses momentum, and Water-types can be lured with HP Electric or HP Grass.

Additionally, here are a couple mons that I believe are underappreciated:

Murkrow @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Taunt / Thunder Wave / Tailwind / Heat Wave

Murkrow is amazing on all teams due to its checking of setup and wide range of support moves. While it sadly does not get Knock Off, Foul Play is still fairly useful, doing big damage to physical attackers.

Audino @ Leftovers / Assault Vest
Sassy / Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Wish / Hyper Voice
- Protect / Toxic / Knock Off

Audino is a great special wall due to Regenerator and its great movepool. I use it mainly to check Nidoking, since it can knock its Life Orb off and hit it supereffectively with Ice Beam. It fits well on balance and stall teams with either the wishpassing or Regenvest set.

How has no one mentioned the monster that is Linoone?

Linoone @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw / Throat Chop
- Seed Bomb / Stomping Tantrum / Substitute

This thing is one of the most threatening mons in the meta. It boosts to +6 in one turn and sweeps almost any team that lacks sableye or clefable. Given HP spreads mean that Figy Berry will always activate after a Belly Drum, and seed bomb is for Wooper. Honestly this thing has won the majority of my games. It gets hard countered by some mons, most notably Sableye, but I honestly don’t see Sableye that much. It OHKOes pretty much everything it hits neutrally and 2HKOes everything else except max Def Persian-Alola and max Def steels or ghosts if it doesn’t have the right coverage.

+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 343-405 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Fur Coat Mew: 237-280 (58.6 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
How has no one mentioned the monster that is Linoone?

Linoone @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw / Throat Chop
- Seed Bomb / Stomping Tantrum / Substitute

This thing is one of the most threatening mons in the meta. It boosts to +6 in one turn and sweeps almost any team that lacks sableye or clefable. Given HP spreads mean that Figy Berry will always activate after a Belly Drum, and seed bomb is for Wooper. Honestly this thing has won the majority of my games. It gets hard countered by some mons, most notably Sableye, but I honestly don’t see Sableye that much. It OHKOes pretty much everything it hits neutrally and 2HKOes everything else except max Def Persian-Alola and max Def steels or ghosts if it doesn’t have the right coverage.

+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 343-405 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Fur Coat Mew: 237-280 (58.6 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Because everyone prefers zigzagoon lol

Serious response: it has been mentioned. Check page 1.

One thing to note: Zigzagoon doesn't have both Shadow Claw and Stomping Tantrum unlike Linoone.
Tbh, I've seen few player using it. I also encounted Sableye too
Also, I haven't encountered someone using Arceus currently, it seems interesting to me.
Anyways, someone mentioned this at the chatroom.

Dunsparce @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Glare
- Roost
- Headbutt
- Coil / Bite

This thing's job was to paraflinch your opponents to death. 44 Speed is enough to outspeed a paralyzed Scarf User. If running Bite, move the SpD EVs to Attack. Max Hp for survivability.

Phew... finally reached Top 10 on Averagemons Ladder with my alt R32 Testing.

r32 testing.png

while my main account is still keeping up currently

roldski32.png

I think its time to showcase the team i used during laddering

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Bulldoze
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ditto @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Transform

Wooper @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic

Mienfoo @ Assault Vest
Careful Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Rock Tomb

Foongus @ Black Sludge
EVs: 244 HP / 204 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost
This is the team i used during laddering, and currently my only one team. Tbh, not sure if this team looks like a semi-stall. Anyways, Mega-Kangaskhan is full specially defensive and would mostly used Seismic Toss, the 2nd slot was originally Crunch, but it can't even do against Ghost-Types, hence i run Bulldoze and thanks to Parental Bond, it is a guaranteed lowering your opponent's speed by half. You can used other speed lowering moves such as Rock Tomb or Icy Wind depending on your preference. Next is Ditto, it helps quite a lot by winning PP War against other stall team, you can even used this as a lead to scout and act accordingly and don't be afraid to hard switch Ditto into the likes of pokemon that can resist their own moves or quite passive, examples are Toxapex, Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Sableye(Both based and Mega) and many more. Wooper is the main Unaware user for this team, be wary of the potential Grass-Type coverage on certain set-up sweeper. Niext is Mienfoo, it acts as a special tank, especially against stronger ones like Specs Exploud and Nidoking. Next is Foongus, which acts as a solid switch-in to most grass-types that scares Wooper, 60 SpD allows Foongus to avoid a KO from +2 Xerneas' Psychic at full health and get a chance to use Clear Smog. Next is Gliscor, which sets up rock and defogs hazards. Play carefully around set-up sweeper and some wallbreakers, especially Substitute user.
As Roldski32
As R32 Testing
Against a stall-like team

I would like to give credits to the players i faced during laddering, they helped me a lot

Feel Free to used my team if you like

Phew... finally reached Top 10 on Averagemons Ladder with my alt R32 Testing.

View attachment 145178

while my main account is still keeping up currently

View attachment 145179

I think its time to showcase the team i used during laddering

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Bulldoze
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ditto @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Transform

Wooper @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic

Mienfoo @ Assault Vest
Careful Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Rock Tomb

Foongus @ Black Sludge
EVs: 244 HP / 204 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost
This is the team i used during laddering, and currently my only one team. Tbh, not sure if this team looks like a semi-stall. Anyways, Mega-Kangaskhan is full specially defensive and would mostly used Seismic Toss, the 2nd slot was originally Crunch, but it can't even do against Ghost-Types, hence i run Bulldoze and thanks to Parental Bond, it is a guaranteed lowering your opponent's speed by half. You can used other speed lowering moves such as Rock Tomb or Icy Wind depending on your preference. Next is Ditto, it helps quite a lot by winning PP War against other stall team, you can even used this as a lead to scout and act accordingly and don't be afraid to hard switch Ditto into the likes of pokemon that can resist their own moves or quite passive, examples are Toxapex, Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Sableye(Both based and Mega) and many more. Wooper is the main Unaware user for this team, be wary of the potential Grass-Type coverage on certain set-up sweeper. Niext is Mienfoo, it acts as a special tank, especially against stronger ones like Specs Exploud and Nidoking. Next is Foongus, which acts as a solid switch-in to most grass-types that scares Wooper, 60 SpD allows Foongus to avoid a KO from +2 Xerneas' Psychic at full health and get a chance to use Clear Smog. Next is Gliscor, which sets up rock and defogs hazards. Play carefully around set-up sweeper and some wallbreakers, especially Substitute user.
As Roldski32
As R32 Testing
Against a stall-like team

I would like to give credits to the players i faced during laddering, they helped me a lot

Feel Free to used my team if you like
Looks like a good team. Honestly, I would use amoongus over foongus, as it gets some moves that foongus doesn't (namely gastro acid and stomping tantrum), and even if you don't plan on running the moves, the threat of having it on your mon is worth it, as the opponent won't be able to eliminate possible moves from its movepool.

Here's a few sets that I've had success with:

Rayquaza @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed / V-create

Everyone seems to forget about the ubers, but mega ray is a pretty solid sweeper. Its very good ability and HP investment allows it to set up against most things in the meta, and then fire off strong dragon ascents. EV's are to maximize bulk, and speed creep sweepers with 44 spe investment. I usually run extreme speed in the last slot, but V-create nukes are fun as well. Hard walled by clef/quag/furfrou, so you team should have respective answers. Also note that if you run flyium z, you will not be able to mega evolve.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Bold / Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Toxic
- Overheat / Fire Blast

IMO, the best rock setter in the meta. In a meta where typing and ability are the most important factors, groudon-p is second to none. It is able to stop weather, spread status, and check some huge offensive threats - namely araquanid, non primal kyogre, and xerneas. EV's allow it to survive 2 modest boombursts from exploud/swellow.

Sableye @ Sablenite / Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Even with the prankster nerf, sableye is still one of the best mons in the meta. It's just too versatile, acting as a hard counter for all eevee variants, as well as being able to cripple physical set up mons, or knocking off on the switch. Some teams are just completely walled by a core of sab/clef. EV's are to creep other sab. Sablenite is kind of a unique option and has its uses in specific scenarios, but is honestly kind of gimmicky and sableye appreciates leftovers recovery.

EDIT: Didn't want to triple post, but here is my semi stall team that I've been using. It is very straight forward to use, and has answers for most major threats in the meta. I really like this meta, but it seems like there is not a lot of participation because of the steepish learning curve and teams trending to be stall.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Gastro Acid
- Clear Smog

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 228 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Overheat

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Araquanid @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life / Lunge
- Sticky Web
- Ice Beam

Pelipper @ Waterium Z
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Serious Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Moonblast
- Toxic / Wish
- Heal Bell

Groudon Primal: As I said earlier, my favorite rocker in the meta, and is a great answer to all steel types. Sun boosted overheats force a lot of switches, and anything that is not steel/poison doesn't appreciate toxic. Again, EVs are to live two modest boombursts, but I'm sure EV's can be better optimized. The team is pretty weak to tini - especially band - so keeping this thing healthy is important in that matchup. You can definitely run more speed to speed creep bulky sub mons, but I didn't find it necessary with taunt sab.

Amoonguss: checks an absurd amount of stuff, and puts something to sleep every match. Sludge bomb is not really needed because clear smog hits what it needs to hard enough, so I opted for gastro acid. The team looses pretty hard to some bulu variants without it.

Sableye: Sab is another no brainer. Counters the nidos, and prevents setup from swoobat/venomoth/many others that could otherwise beat clef. I opted to run mega, as it is very helpful in some matchups, especially against other sableye or murkrow. Pretty standard.

Clefable: Obligatory unaware, and I prefer it over quag because of heal bell. Quag has a much better matchup against opposing p-dons, but they can usually be worn down with rocks/toxic and aren't too much of a problem, especially when moonlight heals 2/3 of HP. Has very good synergy with groudon, and you could run wish over toxic to pass onto him, which would help in the victini and araquanid matchup.

Pelipper: Very underrated mon at the moment. It hits very hard under rain, provides needed defog support, and is very helpful with managing strong fire mons that sab and amoonguss would otherwise be unable to check. Most teams just aren't prepared for rain boosted hydro pumps, as hydro pump/hydro vortex is able to 2HKO neutral 252HP/252+Spd mons. Hurricane hits grass types hard, and provides favorable matchups against amoongus and tangrowth. Moonlight clef also has a tough matchup against it. EV's are to creep 44 Spe mons, while maintaining odd HP. You can run max speed, but I don't find it necessary with webs, and the extra bulk is helpful. Also synergies well with groudon, and is able to check ground types that it cannot.

Araquanid: I've experimented with several mons in this last slot - including qwilfish, celesteela, and serp - but none of them provide the raw power that araquanid does. Probably already the best wallbreaker in the meta, and is even scarier under rain. It has a chance to 2HKO resisted 252HP/252+Def mons under rain, and is a clean 2HKO if you get a drop. This thing is an absolute menace, and even mons that resist liquidation cannot switch in if uninvested, as it has a chance to OHKO under rain after rocks. The things that counter it aren't very common (mantine and jellicent are the only things that I can think of), and other checks such as p-don, seismitoad, and volcanoin can be worn down due to lack of reliable recovery, and can't hit it hard back. Ice beam is filler because it has a terrible movepool, and hp fire is terribad under rain. Toxic can be used over ice beam to make p-don matchups easier, as anything like zygarde/dragonite/rayquaza/mega mence is dealt with by clef, and get hit hard by liquidation anyway.

Last edited:
I've been finding that people just overuse eevee with extreme evoboost, cuz its just way too overpowered, especially since it gets stored power. usually in these metagames i try to find weird sets that work, rather than just exploiting the best one, or using a normal boring set. So, all im saying is im surprised smogon hasnt banned eevee w/ eevium Z yet

Btw an example of a set i like to use in this metagame is:
Nidorino @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Hone Claws
- Sucker Punch
- Stomping Tantrum

just cuz hustle & hone claws is a great combo.

One thing people havent said is broke that definitely should be looked at is unaware. Clefable and quagsire find usage on almost every non ho team due to their newfound bulk and ability to stop almost every setup mon. They definitely contribute to the overall slow pace and prevalence of extremely fat teams plaguing averagemons.

I've been finding that people just overuse eevee with extreme evoboost, cuz its just way too overpowered, especially since it gets stored power. usually in these metagames i try to find weird sets that work, rather than just exploiting the best one, or using a normal boring set. So, all im saying is im surprised smogon hasnt banned eevee w/ eevium Z yet

Btw an example of a set i like to use in this metagame is:
Nidorino @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Hone Claws
- Sucker Punch
- Stomping Tantrum

just cuz hustle & hone claws is a great combo.
There's a better hustle Pokemon: Rufflet
considering he still gets hone claws, he also gets 2 strong stabs and superpower for coverage, i like to run flyinium Z avoid recoil or missing without hone claws

+1 252 Atk Hustle Rufflet Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 417-492 (103.2 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

After playing some games of Averagemons, I've found that there are some mons that probably require at least a suspect test:

Nidoking is known for being incredibly strong in regular tiers, and is usually checked using fat special walls like Blissey and revenge killers like Krookodile. The problem is, Averagemons neuters both of those strategies by equalizing everyone's stats, causing this:
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 157-187 (38.8 - 46.2%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
It has perfect coverage with BoltBeam and its STABs, with almost no reliable defensive switchin (besides those with Assault Vest and Regenerator), and is also hard to take down due to its good defenses, making it a nightmare to face against balance and stall teams.

If you thought Nidoking was strong, Araquanid blows that out of the water, pun intended:
252 SpA Choice Specs Water Bubble Araquanid Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 266-314 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 252-296 (62.3 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Thankfully, its movepool leaves a lot to be desired, allowing physical sets to be checked with Primal Groudon and special sets to be checked by Water-types. Then again, Primal Groudon has to use Rest to counter Araquanid completely, which loses momentum, and Water-types can be lured with HP Electric or HP Grass.

Additionally, here are a couple mons that I believe are underappreciated:

Murkrow @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Taunt / Thunder Wave / Tailwind / Heat Wave

Murkrow is amazing on all teams due to its checking of setup and wide range of support moves. While it sadly does not get Knock Off, Foul Play is still fairly useful, doing big damage to physical attackers.

Audino @ Leftovers / Assault Vest
Sassy / Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Wish / Hyper Voice
- Protect / Toxic / Knock Off

Audino is a great special wall due to Regenerator and its great movepool. I use it mainly to check Nidoking, since it can knock its Life Orb off and hit it supereffectively with Ice Beam. It fits well on balance and stall teams with either the wishpassing or Regenvest set.
I agree with an araq suspect that mons kills everything way too easily with just clicking its water stab and is horrifying to face when your opponent also has rain. I disagree with nidoking tho. Balance and stall are already way too dominant and taking away one of the few things that threaten them isn't going to do any good. Nidoking can be checked by anything with max hp and max spedef that isn't hit super effectively and is easily countered by magic guard spedef reunicles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)