1v1 - The Old Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may or may not be worth mentioning:

Given that multiple z-charm users are on the vr, why not add an extra z-magic coat user? I found something that may benefit from using this z-move:

Stakataka @ Psychium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 232 HP / 56 Atk / 216 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Magic Coat
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
(Note that the EVs are placeholder because I made the set on the spot, but you get the concept.)

Z-magic coat provides +2 SpDef which brings the sample Staka’s SpDef to sightly less than 600.

Calcs with the sample set:

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. +2 232 HP / 216 SpD Stakataka in Sun: 127-150 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-This means it can OHKO with stone edge turn 2

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Blast Burn vs. +2 232 HP / 216 SpD Stakataka in Sun: 172-204 (53.5 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-This means it can OHKO with stone edge on the recharge turn

Focus Blast on the same zard 2HKOs which means Staka loses that matchup, but it is still uncommon, right?

“Assault vest does this anyways,” but this also provides a 1 turn magic bounce which can help with a few matchups.

Z-trick room activates trick room and provides an additional +1 accuracy boost. It’s better on bronzong/hypnosis but here it can stop stone edge from missing.

Unlike Grumpig (the first time I saw the move was with a Grumpig user) and Clefable, Staka doesn’t fear Celesteela’s leech seed stall (heavy slam can probably beat the former two), but it has to watch out for superpower (not even listed on usage1760). All 3 should be able to kill smeargle now since spore is no u’ed.

Last edited:

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
HMU with some of that free elo

Xurkitree Unranked -> C/C+
Set:
Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Zap Cannon
- Hypnosis / Magnet Rise
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tail Glow

This thing is flames. Beats Magearna with Z move. Beats Venu and most stall with tail glow -> zmove. Beats adamant gyarados. Lives a charX outrage somehow. Beats Slow LandoT. Beats HELLA if you hit hypnosis. Beats Deospeed if it’s the ID/Amnesia stall set with zap cannon -> wait until you can tail glow. Beats Incineroar, fini, prim, slowbro, aegislash, slow victini, genesect, Heatran, mawile, scarf Kartana, Heracross, standard mews, non earth power diancie, Celesteela, buzzwole, togekiss, and a lot of other miscellaneous mons. It can beat donphan, dnite, zardx, slow kommo-o, golem, aggron, lele, meloetta, and more with 2 turns of sleep, which isn’t reliable, but it’s a way to win losing MUs. Magnet Rise can be helpful, and z magnet rise is obvious cheese.

This thing has carried me to high 1700s about 10 times in the last week along with my bad deospeed set.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you consider my nomination.

HMU with some of that free elo

Xurkitree Unranked -> C/C+
Set:
Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Zap Cannon
- Hypnosis / Magnet Rise
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tail Glow

This thing is flames. Beats Magearna with Z move. Beats Venu and most stall with tail glow -> zmove. Beats adamant gyarados. Lives a charX outrage somehow. Beats Slow LandoT. Beats HELLA if you hit hypnosis. Beats Deospeed if it’s the ID/Amnesia stall set with zap cannon -> wait until you can tail glow. Beats Incineroar, fini, prim, slowbro, aegislash, slow victini, genesect, Heatran, mawile, scarf Kartana, Heracross, standard mews, non earth power diancie, Celesteela, buzzwole, togekiss, and a lot of other miscellaneous mons. It can beat donphan, dnite, zardx, slow kommo-o, golem, aggron, lele, meloetta, and more with 2 turns of sleep, which isn’t reliable, but it’s a way to win losing MUs. Magnet Rise can be helpful, and z magnet rise is obvious cheese.

This thing has carried me to high 1700s about 10 times in the last week along with my bad deospeed set.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you consider my nomination.
Xurkitree is a decent Pokemon. But Heatran and Aegislash aren't winning match-ups for Xurkitree unless you have Calm Mind and Hypnosis respectively, since Rock Tomb into Overheat Heatran wins and Aegislash can just King's Shield. Also, Xurkitree has 4 chances to land Zap Cannon vs StallOxys-S, and therefore is again not a reliable MU.

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
EVs: 116 SpA / 152 SpD / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Zap Cannon
- Calm Mind / Hypnosis / Electroweb
- Tail Glow

252+ SpA Meloetta Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 152 SpD Xurkitree: 259-306 (84.3 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This set sorta needs Calm Mind to counter Heatran and Meloetta. Electroweb could be used just to counter Deoxys-S. C looks about correct for it...

Now, on to my second nomination....

Delphox from Unranked to B - / C+

delphox.gif

Delphox @ Firium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 108 HP / 116 Def / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Substitute / Laser Focus

Apart from the usual things Fire-type beats, this set beats Mega Charizard Y, Meloetta, non-Choice Scarf Porygon Z, Tapu Lele, non-Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Mega Gardevoir.

252 Atk Metagross-Mega Earthquake vs. 108 HP / 116 Def Delphox: 268-316 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Hyper Beam vs. +1 108 HP / 0 SpD Delphox: 267-315 (83.9 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Max Speed EVs coz I always prefer it..... And remaining EVs in SpA...

And another set I saw with mild potential :

Delphox @ Psychium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 80 SpA / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Future Sight
- Fire Blast
- Skill Swap
- Calm Mind

Speed EVs outspeed max Speed Landorus-T, and defensive EVs are for tanking the following

After a Skill Swap:
1) 252+ Atk Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 24 HP / 252 Def Delphox: 142-168 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 24 HP / 252 Def Delphox: 67-80 (22.5 - 26.9%) -- 37% chance to 4HKO
and

2) 252 Atk Sawk Rock Tomb vs. 24 HP / 252 Def Delphox: 124-148 (41.7 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This set can beat Jumpluff, Magnezone, Mega Mawile (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-823662713), Sawk, Crustle, Deoxys-S (With Z-Skill Swap into Calm Mind), Nihilego, and Unaware Pokemon like Pyukumuku and Quagsire, apart from the obvious things Psychic beats, like Mega Venusaur, Kommo-o, ...... It does seem to beat something, which is why I nominate it for C+ / C ...

Edit : Improved the set, thought this is not the most optimised set by any means, but you get the point...
Edit 2 : MaceMaster pointed out that B- is a tier full of tested and proven Pokemon, but then I see Vivillon up there and crySo, changing the nom from B- / C+ to C / C+

Last edited:

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
My Man Lycanroc-Dusk: Untested -> C/C+
Lycanroc-Dusk @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 108 HP / 224 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Bulk Up / Taunt / Accelrock
- Snarl

Lycanroc-Dusk is an amazing anti-meta Pokemon. The meta currently revolves around Dragonite, Zard X and Y, Lele, Porygon-Z, and Magearna. Lycanroc-Dusk Counters 5 of those 6.

Lycanroc vs VR

S Rank

Charizard-Mega - W, W

Dragonite - W (If You know is its Physical or Special)

Gyarados-Mega - L

A+ Rank

Magearna - L

Metagross-Mega - L

Porygon-Z - W

Tapu Lele - W

A Rank

Slowbro-Mega - L

Zygarde-Complete - L

A- Rank

Greninja - L

Jumpluff - W if Taunt/Accelrock

Landorus-Therian - L

Lopunny-Mega - L

Magnezone - W

Meloetta - W

Mew - W (beats stall with taunt or bulk up)

B+ Rank

Aegislash - L

Altaria-Mega - L

Donphan - L

Gardevoir-Mega - W

Genesect - W

Kommo-o - L

Naganadel - L

Primarina - L

Tapu Fini - W if Tapunium

Tyranitar-Mega - L

Venusaur-Mega - Can beat stall with taunt

B Rank

Aggron-Mega - L

Celesteela - Beats Flamethrower Stall with taunt

Chansey - W

Ferrothorn - L

Garchomp - L

Heatran - W

Kartana - L

Mawile-Mega - L

Necrozma - W

Pinsir-Mega - W if Accelrock

Sableye-Mega - L

Victini - W

Volcarona - W

Zeraora - L

B- Rank

Archeops - L

Blastoise-Mega - L

Blaziken - L

Blissey - W

Crustle - L

Deoxys-S - Set based and can be 50/50 with taunt

Diancie-Mega - W

Durant - L

Golem - L

Haxorus - L

Heracross-Mega - L

Hoopa-Unbound - W

Incineroar - W

Krookodile - L

Kyurem - W

Manaphy - L

Medicham-Mega - L

Sawk - L

Swampert-Mega - L

Togekiss - W

Vivillon - W

Whimsicott - W

C+ Rank

Avalugg - L

Blacephalon - W

Carracosta - L

Gallade-Mega - L

Gengar-Mega - W if wake t2

Latias-Mega - L

Latios - L

Marowak-Alola - W

Pheromosa - L

Porygon2 - Depends

Scizor-Mega - L

Tapu Bulu - L

Terrakion - L

Umbreon - L

C Rank

Buzzwole - L

Camerupt-Mega - Prediction game, W if no Earth Power

Cloyster - W if Accelrock

Entei - W

Excadrill - L

Infernape - L

Keldeo - L

Magneton - W

Nihilego - W

Pidgeot-Mega - W

Pyukumuku - W if taunt

Rhyperior - L

Serperior - L

Skarmory - L

Thundurus-Therian - W

Type: Null - W if Taunt

Volcanion - W

C- Rank

Alakazam - W

Landorus - L

Lucario-Mega - L

Ninetales-Alola - W

Quagsire - L

Salazzle - W

Sceptile - L

D Rank

Aron - W if Taunt

Breloom - L

Manectric-Mega - W

Relicanth - L

Slaking - L

Smeargle - W

Stunfisk - L

Untested

Abomasnow-Mega - W

Araquanid - W

Arcanine - W

Azumarill - L

Bellossom - L

Chandelure - W

Clefable - L

Cobalion - L

Dusclops - W if taunt

Hawlucha - L

Hydreigon - W

Illumise - W if Taunt (Bet ryy)

Lycanroc-Dusk - Mirror

Milotic - L

Ramardos - L

Rotom-Heat - W

Steelix-Mega - L

Scolipede - W

Suicune - L

Sylveon - W

Talonflame - W

Vaporeon - L

Volbeat - W

Zapdos - W
It beats 59/133 (44.36%) of the VR, However the Pokemon it beats are highly relevant (Zards/PZ/Lele/Dnite/Zone) which gives it an edge over other pokemon with similar matchups vs the VR. Also, the majority of Pokemon that beat it fall into either the category of stall who doesn't care about taunt or a physical attacker, both of which are relatively easy to cover. C/C+ are the tiers that Lycanroc would fit in the best due to its high level matchups, unpredictability, and consistency in its wins (very few are left up to RNG besides missing Snarl)

Last edited:

Greninja
A- -----> A
Great mon, sees tons of use. It's unpredictability is the best part, and it's many sets can counter almost everything.

Archeops
B- -----> C+
Why is this in the same tier as Crustle and Haxorus?

Vivillon B- -----> B
Most reliable speed trap in the game that can also beat the grass types that counter other sleep users like Jumpluff, especially MVenusaur

Avalugg C+ -----> B-
Great physically defensive mon, has mirror coat to bop any special attackers without mold breaker or fake out

Clefable Unteseted -----> B
While this is a huge gain, this mon beats every S tier mon reliably, non gunk shot Gren, and many other significant threats with just one set. The only thing holding this mon back is it's stats.

Greninja
A- -----> A
Great mon, sees tons of use. It's unpredictability is the best part, and it's many sets can counter almost everything.

Archeops
B- -----> C+

Vivillon B- -----> B
Most reliable speed trap in the game that can also beat the grass types that counter other sleep users like Jumpluff, especially MVenusaur

Avalugg C+ -----> B-
Great physically defensive mon, has mirror coat to bop any special attackers without mold breaker or fake out

While this is a huge gain, this mon beats every S tier mon reliably, non gunk shot Gren, and many other significant threats with just one set. The only thing holding this mon back is it's stats.
Clefable to B? Seems like a bit of a leap. Why not place it in C/C+ first, since really it loses to things that hit hard and even Zard X has something to deal with it (idk what it was, I need to find it).

Loses to A ranks. What use is a mon if it beats S ranks but not A ranks and below? That being said, I’d like to test Clef out myself, it seems like an interesting mon.

Reactions: dom
Greninja
A- -----> A

gren should not rise. its becoming more and more popular, and still beats quite a bit of the meta, but more and more mons are coming to

Archeops
B- -----> C+

should stay as well. its not used enough. its combonation of scarf, band, and flyinium z sets beat a large part of the meta, it just needs more usage honestly.

Vivillon B- -----> B

since it barely underspeeds PZ and its counters are becoming more and more relevant, vivillon isn't in a great spot right now. Probably shouldn't raise.

Avalugg C+ -----> B-

avalugg is having a hard time finding its place in the meta, with almost 0 usage to its name. On paper its a good mon, but no one uses it any more so it's hard to tell. With more usage a ranking could better be picked for it.

I agree with this one. Clefable is an insane mon that with z magic coat has been destroying ladder and walling everything. it's crazy good and crazy underrated. since it beats so much, B is a good place for it.
heres what i think, in the quote

Last edited:

Jabiru

formerly ThatCabbageGuy
Clefable to B? Seems like a bit of a leap. Why not place it in C/C+ first, since really it loses to things that hit hard and even Zard X has something to deal with it (idk what it was, I need to find it).

Loses to A ranks. What use is a mon if it beats S ranks but not A ranks and below? That being said, I’d like to test Clef out myself, it seems like an interesting mon.
The only way Zard X can beat this set is by getting a crit or via running a heavy stall unset. Its also unfair to say that it loses to that which hits it hard as it walls the likes of 252 adamant iron tail Haxorus. In general it loses to that which can wall it, mons with stab SE hits (even then needing reasonable offensive stats), mons that can bypass its stat boost (Like metal sound magnezone, or an offensive trace mon)

The A rank matchups aren't as atrocious as they may seem at first glance.
With its primary set:
In terms of A+ it loses to Metagross-M, Magearna and Porygon-Z only if Porygon-Z is running Normalium-Z and some SpA invest.
In terms of A it loses to Slowbro-Mega.
In terms of A- it loses to Jumpluff, Magnezone and laser focus Meloetta (Only 36% usage).

So with its primary set it loses to 6/17 of A- or better mons and any laser focus Melo.
However note that Clefable can viably run charge beam in place of moonblast which does allow it to beat Magearna and Slowbro-M. It can also run a counter set requiring significantly less physical bulk allowing for more ev invest into special bulk which allows it to beat Porygon-Z.

That leaves Metagross-Mega, Jumpluff and Magnezone Ez fire blast 2hko (and the minority of Meloetta's) as the three mons from A- through S tier that Clefable can not viably beat.

However with all that said, I do appreciate that it would be a significant shift from untested -> B without absurd levels of success and it does lose against a good number of B tier mons so initially a place in B- alongside the likes of Blissey/Kyurem might be appropriate.

Kaif

tensai
is a Tiering Contributor
Greninja
A- -----> A
I second this. Greninja with Ice Beam HP Fire and choosing from Grass Knot Gunk Shot Hydro Cannon and Dark Pulse gives greninja excellent coverage to 3-0 a good amount of teams

It can also utilize z moves (mostly waterium-z, darkz exists if ur VG Jungle)
z-water beats stuff like metal burst aggron which would probably beat it since sturdy

A- is def not greninja's potential since the amount of sets it can use and be viable with is unmatched.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The 1v1 Hexaannual VR Shifts are a month away, so I'm going to post what I think should happen in VR to see what people think.

Starting from D cause that's easier

Stunfisk D -> Unranked
For God's sake, please just remove this mon. It's not good, and i don't really care if it has some 'hidden potential' because clearly it hasn't been found, else people would run it. Or at least relegate it to untested, this has never seen the light of day and of all the ranked and untested Pokemon we have so far, this has the lowest 1630 usage by far, or at least bottom 3.

Slaking D -> C-
The ability is bad and it's shut down by Protect, but thats not the point; it is the bane of bulky offense's existance, similar to Normalium Porygon-Z in raw power. Between Adamant and Jolly, It OHKOes both bulky Mega Charizards, Normalium Pz, every Tapu but the bulkiest Tapu Fini spread, Meloetta, Mew, Lando-T (ice punch), bulky gardevoir, Genesect, kommo, primarina, and ttar.

Manectric Mega D -> Unranked
This serves no niche. It used to be poor mans Tapu Koko after koko ban, but now that Zeraoras a thing, it basically outclasses manectric in every way, and beats manectric too, if Zera is running coverage

Cloyster C -> C-
This guy just isn't good. Loses to every S rank pretty consistently (thanks to special z move dnite), loses to magearna, pz, lele, Greninja, Slowbro and Lopunny. That's pretty bad.

Keldeo C -> C-
This mon is similar to Cloyster, actually, being that it really isn't faring well this generation. It has a favorable matchup vs Gyarados, but loses to everything else i mentioned above, along with Pokemon like Metagross and even bulky Zygarde, I believe.

Serperior C -> C+
Screens leech seed stall is surprisingly useful, and has an excellent matchup against Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Magearna. Mace can probably say more but ye.

Type: Null C -> C-
ewwwwwww but seriously this mon is just completely irrelevant in the current metagame. Honestly I'm not sure why, but I would theorize it probably has something to do with the fact that most teams run Taunt or some other way to deal with stall.

Umbreon C+ to C
What's this doing here again? Like honestly quite unsure. It's better than Type: Null thanks to more reliable recovery, access to Taunt and Foul Play, but has generally the same weaknesses as Type: Null as well as an aversion to magearna and lele.

Marowak Alola C+ -> C
This mon is a relic of the Koko days. It's purpose is gone, basically, and not has fairy poor matchups in high ranks but also is completely outclassed by Blacephalon and, to a lesser extent, Chandelure.

Crustle B- -> B
Been super useful this meta, with shell smash into z-rock wrecker being a menace to a bunch of relevant stuff like lele, all Pzs, chars, and bulky non-taunt mega gyarados (if u know how to ev).

Mega Heracross B- -> C+
Honestly this mon just isn't enjoying this Char/Dnite/Magearna/Lele/Mew infested waters. It was better back in the days of Kyurem-Black and Snorlax, but now its just meh. Not even comparable to how useful other B- mons, like Incineroar, Krookodile, Deoxys Speed and Whimsicott are.

Sawk B- -> C+
Also feel as if the current meta is not kind to sawk. Just gets bodied by so many rising threats, dnite mag lele gardevoir mew meloetta will o zard x and Kommo.

Mega Gardevoir B+ -> A-
Highkey underrated. You hardly need any spa investment to destroy anything, you have a favorable matchup against Lele and Dnite, access to Will o wisp, encore, taunt. Specifically, I think this set is the reason why it should be A-:

Waifu? (Gardevoir-Mega) (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 224 HP / 96 Def / 12 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Beam
- Psyshock
- Will-O-Wisp
This beats every Porygon Z, Tapu Lele, mega gyarados, Dragonite, Mew, Tapu Fini, Zygarde Complete, pretty damn good mu vs slowbro, Lando-T, Donphan, Primarina, Kommo, ttar. This was ev'd to tank one flare blitz from jolly blaziken, cause thats what i needed it to do for the specific team, but what more important is how you basically need no investment in spa to still ohko everything it ohkos normally, leaving evs to be there to invest in bulk.

Naganadel B+ -> B
Naganadel just isn't the threat it once was, or at least the threat it was perceived to be. Despite Choice Specs it struggles to find OHKOes against Magearna, Dnite and Bulky Mega Metagross, as well as having trouble to rising stars like mew and meloetta. And of course it still loses to mons like Greninja, Mega Gyarados, and Mega Lopunny

Greninja A- -> A
The sheer amount of utility this Pokemon has simply cannot be ignored. People have stopped using just Choice Specs, and this has allowed Greninja to beat threats it couldn't before, such as Choice Scarf Porygon Z. It has a million and one moves and cteaming using this Pokemon is incredibly easy. It's a Pokemon that can honestly beat anything it wants to, the only problem is that it will often sacrifice too many matchups to do so. This is why I think it deserves A, but no higher.

Magearna A+ -> S
The big one. I believe Magearna is metagame defining. people are running sets like laser focus Meloetta and HP Fire Greninja specifically to beat Magearna. It also, like gyarados and Char x, can run several different variations of ev spreads to do several different roles, and its ability to set up both defenses and shoot off a powerful Z move allows it to break through several threats that normally crush fairies and Steels, like Mega Metagross and Donphan. And besides what it's 'weak' to, it basically everything that can't hit it super effectively just by setting up, using Pain Split, and winning. If Magearna wasn't hardcountered by most Fire-Types, it would be banworthy imo. It also currently has more usage than Mega Gyarados and Dragonite, which is insane.

oh and clefable to C+ but I already said that

So, in summary,
Stunfisk D -> Unranked
Slaking D -> C-
Manectric Mega D -> Unranked
Cloyster C -> C-
Keldeo C -> C-
Serperior C -> C+
Umbreon C+ to C
Marowak Alola C+ -> C
Crustle B- -> B
Mega Heracross B- -> C+
Sawk B- -> C+
Mega Gardevoir B+ -> A-
Naganadel B+ -> B
Greninja A- -> A
Magearna A+ -> S

I'm very much interested in what everyone else thinks about these shifts, whether or not y'all agree or not

Last edited:

Kaif

tensai
is a Tiering Contributor
ewwwwwww but seriously this mon is just completely irrelevant in the current metagame. Honestly I'm not sure why, but I would theorize it probably has something to do with the fact that most teams run Taunt or some other way to deal with stall.
it's not completely irrelevant and its a goat stall mon, just ask ryy about it lmfao. I don't have much experience using this but it's definitely not C- tier

Time for a shakeup. As was discussed in the 1v1 channel, there should probably be an S- rank where we could put mons like CharY, Magearna, and possibly MGyara. However, TDA assures me this is not possible so we go with the next best solution.

A Rank is currently incredibly empty
Currently there are 2 mons in A rank. While they do stand out from A- mons, there are some mons in A+ rank that need to change. By moving most of the A+ mons down to A, we can adjust S tier without having the issue in that there's a big difference in power level between S rank mons. So, this is the series of changes I propose.

Ranking Charizard as one pokemon is dumb
Currently, Charizard X and Y are treated as one mon in the viability ranking as technically they are the same mon using different items. However, I believe that in this case it would be fair to seperate them as they fulfill totally different niches and one is far outperforming the other currently.

Porygon Z A+ -> A
Porygon Z has always been great, but for different reasons. While it lost custap, it got a solid Z Conversion set that can beat many counters to it's traditional scarf set. However, the meta has not been kind for PZ with Magearna and Bulky Char Xs running amok. This mon should move down to A rank as part of the meta shift.

Metagross-Mega A+ -> A
Metagross's role as a MGyara counter has been heavily weakened by the presence of Zard and the lack of the mon that it was intended to counter. It's still good, but due to this restructuring should move down to A rank.

Magearna A+ -> S
This mon is currently #2 in usage above 1630 elo, despite Char X occupying the #1 spot. Char Y decreasing in usage helps it greatly as well. While this mon only really has 2 viable sets (Double dance and specs), they are very powerful. This mon can tear up a large portion of the metagame and definitely deserves S rank.

Charizard Y S -> A+
While it's still good and a great answer to Metagross, Magearna, and Slowbro, Charizard Y has clearly fallen out of favor for CharX. The heavy presence of Greninja hasn't helped and it's clear that it's just not good enough for S rank anymore.

Greninja A- -> A+
It's a crime Gren is ranked this low right now. Protean gives it an extra pair of specs and along with it's torrent + water shuriken sets, it can find a way to beat practically any "counters" to it. Importantly, it's main set (specs) beats Dragonite, most Zards, Zygarde, Metagross (with dark pulse) and many othe rhighly ranked mons, not to mention lower ranks. Currently #5 in usage at 1630, this mon deserves better than A-.

Gyarados-Mega S -> A+
Yes, this is a real post. Gyarados has fallen out of favor and out of usage recently. The meta at the moment is not very friendly to it, with Magearna and Char X everywhere. It's time for this king to fall. While one could argue that this should still be S rank since people build sets around it, this practice has led to it being less viable in practice.

Tapu Fini B+ -> A-
While there are many reasons that fini should move up, one key one is the reaction to it's two main sets. One will almost always 2HKO you with Tapunium Z + Brine/Moonblast. For the other, they can use Z Rain Dance, Calm mind, or any other number of options with Waterium Z. This unpredictability can lead to unlikely wins as many time the opponent has to guess on turn one. Another reason that it should move up is it's excellent coverage against many top players in the meta. With proper spreads and sets it can beat both Zards, Dnite, Gyarados, Magearna, Zygarde, etc. Also take note that it will beat most sleep mons with the exception of Mega Gengar.

Clefable Unranked -> B
See my last post

Note: Tapu Lele remains A+ tier

Summary
Porygon Z A+ -> A
Metagross-Mega A+ -> A
Magearna A+ -> S
Charizard Y S -> A+
Greninja A- -> A+
Gyarados-Mega S -> A+
Tapu Fini B+ -> A-
Clefable Unranked -> B

Kaif

tensai
is a Tiering Contributor
Porygon Z A+ -> A
Porygon Z has always been great, but for different reasons. While it lost custap, it got a solid Z Conversion set that can beat many counters to it's traditional scarf set. However, the meta has not been kind for PZ with Magearna and Bulky Char Xs running amok. This mon should move down to A rank as part of the meta shift.
Metagross-Mega A+ -> A
Metagross's role as a MGyara counter has been heavily weakened by the presence of Zard and the lack of the mon that it was intended to counter. It's still good, but due to this restructuring should move down to A rank.
I simply disagree with the pz one and Metagross was never just a gyara counter.

I agree with all the other stuff

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Currently, Charizard X and Y are treated as one mon in the viability ranking as technically they are the same mon using different items. However, I believe that in this case it would be fair to seperate them as they fulfill totally different niches and one is far outperforming the other currently.
Charizard is indistinguishable between sets at Team Preview, hence why it is ranked together as a single entry.
The Sets VR is where the different Charizard forms and sets are all ranked apart from one another, because evaluating individual sets is the entire purpose of the Sets VR.
otherwise, I appreciate the noms.

Porygon Z A+ -> A
Hell no. A well-built Porygon-Z can decimate many of the higher viable Pokemon, and access to Recover and Nasty Plot only serves to strengthen its longevity and offensive presence in the meta.. Bulky ZardX doesn't tank Z-Hyper Beam from Adaptability Porygon-Z. Its only counter in the higher viability rankings are Magearna and Magnezone. I strongly disagree with dropping Porygon-Z to A

Metagross-Mega A+ -> A
I think this just has the tools to decimate a good portion of the meta, but just not in one set. Its optimal set IMO could vary between ZenHButt/LFocus/Meteor Mash/Ice Punch, and HammerArm / TPunch / Meteor Mash / Bullet Punch, as per team need. It can adapt itself according to team need, which is great, and that speed helps it counter some latent threats... A would not suit it, as it is not as inconsistent as A rank Pokemon. Have to disagree with its drop.

Magearna A+ -> S
This mon is currently #2 in usage above 1630 elo, despite Char X occupying the #1 spot. Char Y decreasing in usage helps it greatly as well. While this mon only really has 2 viable sets (Double dance and specs), they are very powerful. This mon can tear up a large portion of the metagame and definitely deserves S rank.
Charizard Y S -> A+
While it's still good and a great answer to Metagross, Magearna, and Slowbro, Charizard Y has clearly fallen out of favor for CharX. The heavy presence of Greninja hasn't helped and it's clear that it's just not good enough for S rank anymore.
Got to agree with this one. IDK why the council insists on placing the Charizards together. Every Pokemon has the same level of indistinguishability at team preview. Like, what's to distinguish (at team preview) Flyinium Z Gyarados from Mega Gyarados..... What really distinguishes one from the other is the amount of Pokemon one has the capability of beating... And considering that fact, since Mega Charizard X clearly beats way more than Mega Charizard Y can, I think Mega Charizard Y need to be go down in viability.

Greninja A- -> A+
It's a crime Gren is ranked this low right now. Protean gives it an extra pair of specs and along with it's torrent + water shuriken sets, it can find a way to beat practically any "counters" to it. Importantly, it's main set (specs) beats Dragonite, most Zards, Zygarde, Metagross (with dark pulse) and many othe rhighly ranked mons, not to mention lower ranks. Currently #5 in usage at 1630, this mon deserves better than A-.
Greninja is a decent Pokemon, but bringing it to A+ is a stretch, I think. Of the high ranked Pokemon (S and A+ ranked Pokemon), all except Porygon-Z can run a viable set which tanks Greninja's attacks and retaliate with their own. Its dominance over the VR starts at A, and that's why while I won't exactly call for a rise of Greninja fro A- to A+ right away, I would still call for a rise to A.

Gyarados-Mega S -> A+
Yes, this is a real post. Gyarados has fallen out of favor and out of usage recently. The meta at the moment is not very friendly to it, with Magearna and Char X everywhere. It's time for this king to fall. While one could argue that this should still be S rank since people build sets around it, this practice has led to it being less viable in practice.

Tapu Fini B+ -> A-
While there are many reasons that fini should move up, one key one is the reaction to it's two main sets. One will almost always 2HKO you with Tapunium Z + Brine/Moonblast. For the other, they can use Z Rain Dance, Calm mind, or any other number of options with Waterium Z. This unpredictability can lead to unlikely wins as many time the opponent has to guess on turn one. Another reason that it should move up is it's excellent coverage against many top players in the meta. With proper spreads and sets it can beat both Zards, Dnite, Gyarados, Magearna, Zygarde, etc. Also take note that it will beat most sleep mons with the exception of Mega Gengar.
Hate to admit it, but I have to agree with this. Fini, getting access to GoA and being incredibly bulky and decently fast and to Taunt makes it a decent wallbreaker, and should rise to A- Can we have a only-slightly-better-than-Primarina-rank-called-B+-

Clefable Unranked -> B
See my last post
I don't think it should go straight to B just because it beats a load of top rated Pokemon; despite beating some noteworthy stuff, it still seems like a very inconsistent and gimmicky Pokemon which can work only once. I mean, if Clefable got a set VR, Z-MC would be highly rated in that, but as such, I don't think Clefable is convincingly good enough to get B just yet. It could be B- or C+ just yet, and if it is too good to be there, it could go up.

Charizard is indistinguishable between sets at Team Preview, hence why it is ranked together as a single entry.
The Sets VR is where the different Charizard forms and sets are all ranked apart from one another, because evaluating individual sets is the entire purpose of the Sets VR.
While this makes sense in theory, in practice Charizard X and Charizard Y are 2 different mons with entirely different roles. Chalking it up to just "Charizard's Viability" is misrepresenting how good they are. They're essentially 2 different mons. In addition to this, due to their seperate roles, one can usually ascertain which Charizard they're using due to the rest of their team.

Hell no. A well-built Porygon-Z can decimate many of the higher viable Pokemon, and access to Recover and Nasty Plot only serves to strengthen its longevity and offensive presence in the meta.. Bulky ZardX doesn't tank Z-Hyper Beam from Adaptability Porygon-Z. Its only counter in the higher viability rankings are Magearna and Magnezone. I strongly disagree with dropping Porygon-Z to A

I think this just has the tools to decimate a good portion of the meta, but just not in one set. Its optimal set IMO could vary between ZenHButt/LFocus/Meteor Mash/Ice Punch, and HammerArm / TPunch / Meteor Mash / Bullet Punch, as per team need. It can adapt itself according to team need, which is great, and that speed helps it counter some latent threats... A would not suit it, as it is not as inconsistent as A rank Pokemon. Have to disagree with its drop.
While the points you make are valid, after these changes A+ tier would be made up of Tapu Lele, MGyara, Char Y. These mons are clearly above Metagross in the current meta, and so down to A it goes. PZ is more debatable and I'd be down with discussing that more.

Greninja is a decent Pokemon, but bringing it to A+ is a stretch, I think. Of the high ranked Pokemon (S and A+ ranked Pokemon), all except Porygon-Z can run a viable set which tanks Greninja's attacks and retaliate with their own. Its dominance over the VR starts at A, and that's why while I won't exactly call for a rise of Greninja fro A- to A+ right away, I would still call for a rise to A.
I'd agree with that, especially with the other changes to the VR I'm proposing

I don't think it should go straight to B just because it beats a load of top rated Pokemon; despite beating some noteworthy stuff, it still seems like a very inconsistent and gimmicky Pokemon which can work only once. I mean, if Clefable got a set VR, Z-MC would be highly rated in that, but as such, I don't think Clefable is convincingly good enough to get B just yet. It could be B- or C+ just yet, and if it is too good to be there, it could go up.
B- is ok, but if you look at the other mons in B and compare that to the versatility of clefable and it's different sets, it's clear it at least deserves B-. I'm down with putting it in B- for now though.

Kaif

tensai
is a Tiering Contributor
It's that time of the month again! Kaif trying to make a smogon post and miraculously failing!!

Time to make dem No-min-at-ion-s

Charizard-Mega-Y: - S > A / A+
This mon has kind of fallen off significantly since the only things it can do now is kill magearna reliably and soft check metagross. It just doesn't see that much play anymore.

Zygarde-Complete: - A > A+
This is actually a REALLY good mon and walls a LOT of the top threats such as Magearna, Heatran and most Magnezones

Primarina: - B+ > A-
Primarina beats a lot of top threats and can one-shot a lot of pokemon with Torrent boosted Hydro Vortex or Oceanic Operetta. It's a very underrated mon that can reliably beat threats such as Charizard X and Landorus-Therian

Tapu Fini: - B+ > A-
As I have said before, this is sort of a contender to primarina except they both do different things. Primarina mostly relies on Torrent boosts whereas Fini uses it's stall breaker potential with Taunt and Rain Dance. Rain Dance gives it that extra power and Fini can even Z-Rain Dance for +1 Speed and then k/o with Hydro Pump. It also has Tapunium-Z (GoA)

ps: i also nom lopunny for B+ and mew for B+ but I'll touch on that later

Last edited:

Charizard-Mega-Y: - S > A / A+
This mon has kind of fallen off significantly since the only things it can do now is kill magearna reliably and soft check metagross. It just doesn't see that much play anymore.
Agreed

Zygarde-Complete: - A > A+
This is actually a REALLY good mon and walls a LOT of the top threats such as Magearna, Heatran and most Magnezones
While Zygarde is good, it's not insane, and loses to many top threats, especially Lele and Gren.

Primarina: - B+ > A-
Primarina beats a lot of top threats and can one-shot a lot of pokemon with Torrent boosted Hydro Vortex or Oceanic Operetta. It's a very underrated mon that can reliably beat threats such as Charizard X and Landorus-Therian

Tapu Fini: - B+ > A-
As I have said before, this is sort of a contender to primarina except they both do different things. Primarina mostly relies on Torrent boosts whereas Fini uses it's stall breaker potential with Taunt and Rain Dance. Rain Dance gives it that extra power and Fini can even Z-Rain Dance for +1 Speed and then k/o with Hydro Pump. It also has Tapunium-Z (GoA)
I agree with Fini. Right now, Primarina is largely a weaker greninja in terms of water attacks. IMO, the fairium z set is better. However, it stuggles to find a role between Lele and Fini. B+ is where it should stay

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
Salamence: Unranked -> C+/B- (Mace said it's all g)

Fatmence (Salamence) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 28 Atk / 236 Def / 208 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

Beats every S Tier besides Special Dragonite or Dragonium DDance Dragonite. Additionally beats Lopunny, Zygarde, Landorus-T, Wide Lens Jumpluff, Donphan, Golem, Kommo-o, Krookodile, Mega TTar, and More.

Beating all the S Tiers is pretty rare, but Salamence is the right Pokemon for the Job if you don't want to use Z-Magic Coat Clefable.

It's obvious weakness is that it can't hit Fairy-types, and that's correct. It can PP Stall Scarf Bulu though

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
Oops Double post, nobody went after me
Togekiss B- -> B
Togekiss is a pokemon I’ve been experimenting a lot with lately to good success. It seems clinically underrated and misunderstood. The default thought is scarf, however scarf is a terrible item when compared to Electrium Z and even Fairium Z. Electrium allows Togekiss to reliably beat Lele, gardevoir, gyara, pz, sableye, slowbro, melo, kart, incin, special dnite, greninja, mew, genesect, deoxys speed, Altaria, prim, fini, necrozma, non banded vic, blastoise, avalugg, umbreon and pyukumuku. this isn’t even including the matchups togekiss wins by merit of its typing such as lopunny, medicham, and kommo-o

This mon is worthy of B rank.

Zeraora: B - -> A-/B+
I guess it's time we make another post for another new addition to 1v1
Zeraora

It might not be as good as Zygod, but it at least still has some decent potential.
Zeraora @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 156 HP / 160 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Charge
- Bulk Up
- Thunder

This one's pretty straightforward, minimum bulk necessary to withstand a Lopunny's Fake Out + Giga Impact combo, after using Bulk Up, in addition to just barely outspeeding it. Bulk Up also helps reliably beat Gyarados since it can actually tank Z-Plasma/Thunder surprisingly well. The special bulk is to give you as good of a chance vs Tapu Lele/Porygon-Z as possible.

Zeraora @ Electrium Z
EVs: 120 HP / 196 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Charge
- Bulk Up
- Thunder

This one compromises by having better odds versus Tapu Lele/Porygon-Z, at the expense of sacrificing the guaranteed win versus Jolly Lopunny. Pick whichever one you like most.

Bulk Up is a pretty useful move; it helps versus fast and frail mons that can't do enough damage to knock you out (like Lopunny and Gallade). It also helps against mons that try to stall you down, like Jumpluff and (Kentari's) Mew.

Zeraora @ Electrium Z
EVs: 56 Atk / 64 SpA / 196 SpD / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Charge
- Fake Out
- Thunder

This set is ideal for going for wins through dealing damage, rather than taking it.

Zeraora @ Electrium Z
EVs: 48 HP / 4 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 SpD / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Charge
- Fake Out
- Thunder

This set is ideal for tanking things specially. Pick whichever set you like most.

Fake Out is the more offensive alternative, making matchups more based on 2HKO-ing opponents with your Z-Move, after dealing that essential chip damage. In the highest usage matchups, you don't really need the extra physical bulk, since you just 2HKO Lopunny and Gyarados.

Zeraora @ Electrium Z
EVs: 212 Atk / 156 Def / 140 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Bulk Up
- Outrage

Kind of an out-there set, but it actually takes on Charizard-X and Y quite well while still being better than that Dragonium set.

Zeraora honestly is a strange hybrid between Tapu Koko and Blaziken, having Blaziken's capability of being very versatile set-wise, while also having a high preference towards Electrium, like Koko as well as very similar stats. I believe its flexibility makes it an ideal anchor mon that covers any particular weaknesses your core may have, however, it also has surprisingly decent matchups against a few of the mons in the upper range of usage.
I'd personally start Zeraora out at B rank, though I can see it either dropping or rising, based on whether or not people use it.
All these points are true for Zeraora. This 'mon, I believe from testing, should rise due to all the qualities said by Osra here. I believe this is well deserved.

Also, some request of mine: Can we lower the interval between VR updates to a month? I feel that it would more reflect the meta as it shifts.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day. Keep an eye out on the Metagame discussion thread for my banlist reasoning series.

Meloetta A- —> A
Meloetta is an amazing mon imo and I have had lots of success with it on the ladder, some of its only struggles would be
Dragonite, Gyarados Mega (With crunch), metagross mega, magnezone, aegislash, genesect, mawile mega, and incineroar. Not many imo
Meloetta has many sets that it can run, with the most common item on it being normalium z with hyper beam.
Meloetta @ Normalium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 20 SpA / 16 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Celebrate
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
This set can reliably check char x, char y, non crunch gyarados mega, Porygon z, Tapu Lele, slowbro mega, zygarde (all forms), greninja, landorus Therian, lopunny mega, mew, donphan, naganadel, primarina, venusaur mega, and a lot more in the lower tiers.
Meloetta @ Normalium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 56 SpA / 16 SpD / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Laser Focus
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
This set can reliably beat, all the same mons as the last set, but can’t reliably check landorus therian as 252 attack adamant nature ground z can kill it. one difference is that it checks magearna after calm minding 3 times if needed
Replays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844217012
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844217390
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844217815
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844218528
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844218821
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844219927
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844219927
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844220826
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844220982
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844221986
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844222211
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844222417
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844222585
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-844220168
Ty to my man alutard the ou lord for helping me with the replays, he plays 1v1 a bit, but mainly ou

Overall this mon can play a very big role on a team as it doesn’t have many checks imo, it is a spd wall, and can be a bit tanky in phys def with the correct evs. I will edit in replays when I get em done (This is my first nom, feel free to tell me how it is bad or good I need to know to improve on this.)
This mon is a worthy A rank

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)