SM UU Smoke and Mirrors

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
rmt banner.png

Name inspired by this album

Introduction
Hey everyone, my name's Indigo Plateau and I'm presenting one of my favorite UU teams up to date for my 750th post. I joined Smogon quite a ways back but never got into competitive until ORAS came around, where I mostly laddered and lurked. Around the end of 2017, I started consistently contributing in the OU subforum and making friends along the way. I picked up UU during the Weavile / Mega Gardevoir era, and although the tier was still a bit hectic, I instantly became a fan of it and it's been my favorite tier ever since. I came up with this team roughly 4ish months ago (before Zeraora & Bisharp times) for a discord tour match vs Harris; I wanted to build with Sharpedo since I lacked a solid team with it and I noticed that Reuniclus did very well against most of his teams, so I decided to try and build with both. It was a bit of a headache at the time, but the result was one that I'm very happy with.

Teambuilding Process

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Crunch
Ice Fang
Psychic Fangs

Protect

Mega Sharpedo is a very straightforward Pokemon: set up hazards, wear down its checks throughout the course of the game, and then attempt to sweep late-game. It's crazy that many teams lacking a Fairy-type like Florges can flat out lose to this late-game if you manage to set up hazards and pressure their remover well. I would probably run Earthquake > Psychic Fangs & also Jolly > Adamant in the current meta, but I'll leave the original version here for now.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Trick Room

The whole premise of the team was to build with a core of Sharpedo + Reuniclus, as I felt they could both complement each other quite nicely as end-game sweepers. OTR Reuniclus is a really neat option on offensive teams because a lot of teams rely on faster Dark-types or even methods like Taunt / Roar to deal with setup sweepers, but under TR, Reuniclus is able to beat almost every single one of its checks with its versatile movepool. Reuniclus appreciates Spikes support just like Sharpedo does to give it a better shot at sweeping late-game, and if it wasn't for Focus Blast's terrible accuracy, this thing would single-handedly shred teams apart.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
Spikes
Thunder Wave
Magnet Rise
Play Rough

Klefki was a clear no-brainer here but for much more than just setting up Spikes. I knew that starting out with Sharpedo + Reuniclus was going to restrict the rest of the team, and Klefki's role compression for this team is amazing: Fairy/Steel typing makes it among the tier's best checks to Hydreigon and Latias, which can be stupidly annoying for my initial core, Thunder Wave makes it so that I can get away with no Scarfer most of the time, and Magnet Rise is extremely clutch on this build to help out against otherwise annoying Ground-types like Krookodile and Hippowdon.

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Iron Head

Stone Edge

The first three Pokemon were looking very weak to any variant of Scizor, so Cobalion immediately came to mind as something that could offensively pressure it and also keep up the pressure against bulkier teams, especially Aggron/Steelix + Fairy builds that could be hard to break otherwise. I've been going back and forth between Fightinium Z and Steelium Z; Steelium Z makes the matchup against certain Pokemon like Latias and Amoonguss easier, but I stuck with Fightinium Z to have a nuke for Rotom-H, which would otherwise Defog versus my team with ease.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
Ice Shard
Earthquake
Icicle Crash

Stealth Rock

Mega Manectric was still a super solid pick when I was building this, and I wanted to use a Ground-type that could potentially set up Rocks, check Electric-types, and most importantly, provide an extra way to pressure some annoying offensive Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl and Latias. Mamoswine does all of these very well, and although I usually tend to stay away from Rocks on Mamo, I preferred Stone Edge on Cobalion on this build simply for its ability to break past Moltres stall (both times that I faced stall in tour games with this build, it was Moltres stall and I lacked Stone Edge). Probably interchangeable depending on what you're feeling though.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 20 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Pain Split
Volt Switch
Overheat

Toxic

If you're playing UU with only one Scizor check on your team, then you're playing UU wrong. This might seem like a pretty obvious pick right now for this team because it helps out immensely against Moltres, Mega Manectric, Scizor, Krookodile, etc etc, but at the time, Rotom-H was just being discovered and hadn't seen the usage it sees now. It was actually still uncommon enough to the point that I had a Choice Scarf at first because the standard utility set wasn't widespread lol.

Team in Action
Seeing as how I failed to save any replays from Majors somehow, I only have one replay of the initial version vs. Harris, but I've used this team for Snake tests several times successfully. You can also check out Joey using the team during the Bisharp suspect test below.

vs.

Threats

Fighting-types threaten this team a lot since Reuniclus is the only switch-in, yet you normally don't want to switch it into CB Terrakion or SD Cobalion. Terrakion in particular is extremely annoying to face since it can spam Close Combat pretty freely, especially if it gets a chance to come in for free, so you're forced to either let Reuniclus get weakened or let something die.

Entry hazard removers that can beat Klefki, namely Rotom-H and Tentacruel, can prevent this team from functioning properly. Tentacruel isn't too bad since it can be paralyzed and it makes breaking past it much easier, but Rotom-H is extremely annoying since you can't switch anything into it bar Rotom-H (which can be hit with Toxic or just be Volt Switched out on) safely.

Stall, depending on the Pokemon, can be problematic to face. I have to rely on setting up hazards and pressuring removers whenever possible to give Sharpedo a chance at breaking. Reuniclus can also potentially put in work if you remove Blissey.

There's a few other Pokemon that can get really annoying because of their movepool, but seeing as this is the case for any offensive team of this nature I won't bother listing them all out.

Conclusion
This team is definitely one of the most enjoyable teams to use in my builder due to its offensive nature and ability to win most matchups if played well. OTR Reuniclus is a severely underrated threat in the tier and can actually fit on more teams than you think, so if you haven't given it a try, I'd definitely recommend it. With new offensive weapons like Bisharp, Kommo-o, and Zeraora rising as strong picks on Spikes offenses, I felt it was a good time to share this team. There's been several people in the UU community that have made this short journey very enjoyable for me and I look forward to all the new things that the future holds :toast:

Shoutouts
It would actually take me forever to give every single person that I consider a friend a shoutout, so instead I'm going to make this as general and brief as possible. If I didn't tag you please don't take offense, if I've ever held a conversation with you chances are you're my friend & you either didn't fit under a category or I just simply forgot bc I'm too lazy and it's finals season. There are a few people that deserve an individual shoutout for their direct involvement with this RMT so I'll list them first:
TPP
Definitely the first on the list. Although you weren't directly involved with this team per se, you're a big reason I am where I am today. We started chatting a long time ago & you motivated me to contribute in the OU forum and also stick to team rating, & if it wasn't for your feedback then I definitely wouldn't have been able to keep up my rates during the year.

Darksafadao
Man I'm actually really lucky to have had you as my first tutee lol. You're a great person to talk to (not only about mons but about life too) & I love constantly bouncing off building ideas with you. You were also the only person to give me feedback as I built this team, so thanks for the help!

Accelgor
The man responsible for the FIRE banner up top. We haven't been talking for super long but right off the bat, you were extremely nice to me, helping me out with builds for Majors, my custom avi, this banner, or even just talking about teams in general. I look forward to chatting with you more in the future!

Crew
There are way too many people to tag in here LOL but chances are I've interacted with everyone at least once and this was the first group of people I was friends with on Smogon & I'm super thankful for that because everyone in here is amazing. TPP please don't let lyd become RO because that's the day Crew will start to fall apart & I like my tyranny as is

OU Mod Team
Finchinator TPP GMars Leo
You guys are all idiots & it's a ton of fun being part of a group that tags Leo 40% of the time, messes with lyd another 40% of the time, & has real conversations only about 20% of the time. As long as I don't get demoted by Finch again I see myself staying here for a long time so yeh gl putting up with me

RMT
Gross Sweep Simia Snowy Sun Kreme Anish vivalospride Amane Misa
IB :psycry: Although I've only recently become a TR this is technically the part of Smogon that I've contributed to the longest & everyone in here is really chill & cool to talk to. Wait didn't we badge viv like yesterday? Guess that makes everyone except one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OU QC
Colonel M Gary LL Jordy Lyd ABR Talah TDK
Again, I only became QC not too long ago but I've been talking to everyone here for as long as I could remember. Between having to correct analysis that compare Diggersby to Ash-Greninja & having to put up with lyd tagging Leo every day, I know that I'm always in for a laugh with you guys

Importable
Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Last edited:

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Alright, alright, alright.. This is without a doubt a really cool and solid team you made there. However, I think there is some details that may work a bit better.

Minor changes :

• Firstable, I would change Reuniclus's set for a Calm Mind. This allows your team to have a better MU vs Stall but it also gives you a way to handle a bit more Terrakion (to a certain extent). There is a plethora of options that would fit well on the team like Signal Beam + Buginium Z, Energy Ball + Psychium Z / Colbur Berry or Focus Blast + Fightinium Z.
Reuniclus @ Buginium Z / Psychium Z / Fightinium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam / Energy Ball / Focus Blast

Major changes :

>

• I would change Cobalion for Doublade. Even if it decreases the MU of your team vs Moltres (to a certain extent since you're keeping Rotom-Heat) it also increases your MU vs Terrakion and Cobalion while also providing a cool spinblocker if needed.

>

• Another cool option would be to change Cobalion for Latias. You can opt for CM Bolt-Beam Latias which helps a lot Pokemon some of its teammates like Sharpedo-Mega and Mamoswine by removing Bulky water types. It's also a really cool Pokemon when it's paired with TR Reuniclus. This Latias can pressure Terrakion, Cobalion but also Tentacruel and Rotom-H (to a lesser extent for the last one). Recover can be cool to check Cobalion much better while Psyshock it's great to pressure Stall while also being able to put more pressure on Rotom-Heat.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword / Shadow Claw

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Latias (F) @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover / Psyshock
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Reuniclus @ Buginium Z / Psychium Z / Fightinium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam / Energy Ball / Focus Blast

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Wait didn't we badge viv like yesterday? Guess that makes everyone except one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ip ManToday at 5:44 PM
@Vivalo$pride aka Rapmaster Crush get to work

What the FUCK is this shit?!?!?!?! I'm like not even a month into having this badge and the abuse I've suffered is RIDICULOUS. Anyways let's get to how fuckin GARBO this team is.

So this is a good solid team that fits the meta pretty well, I do think the stall matchup and the fighting matchup is far too alarming though. While Moutemoute had a good rate it ends up opening a huge weakness to Bisharp, it was pretty hard to fix everything without opening up something so it's pretty understandable though. I like this team but Reuniclus + Shark is just so awkward to build around. Anyways you pretty much covered everything I'd normally say here in ur threats section so let's move onto my rate.

- Like moute I did Doublade > Cobalion to maintain the Scizor check + wincon thing it had going while also serving as a reliable fighting check to mons that can give this team a lot of trouble like Terrakion and Cobalion. This also gives you a maero check oo. Set is standard.
Doublade @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Claw / Sacred Sword

- Next I went with mixed taunt rocks Kommo > Mamoswine. This does A LOT of good for this team while only really sacrificing a volt immunity which isn't too big of a deal since it's a hazard based team (meaning things are discouraged from pivoting) and shit like mmane doesn't come in on much anyways. The thing kommo does for this team include: helping stall matchup immensely, gives a bisharp check, gives a z move user, dragon typing is awesome for it's resistances to common types like fire, grass, water, and elec... and more. Kommo is also capable of pressuring the removers that can often give klefki issues like Rotom-H and Tentacruel. I went with Overcoat due to the lack of spore switch ins in sight.
Kommo-o @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat

Smaller changes:
- Took 4 EVs off Rotom-H's speed to make it lose speed ties to other Rotom-H meaning it gets the pivoting advantage which would be super crucial here on a team with no elec immunity.
- EQ > Psychic Fangs on Shark to serve as another Bish check since Kommo isn't some super consistent one or anything.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Protect

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Kommo-o @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 20 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Doublade @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Claw

I think this is the best I could come up with, I've been super busy the past two days so I rushed it a bit but I think this is good anyways. Not having a ground type can be sketchy but honestly it's no big deal since volt switchers are often discouraged to come in just to pivot due to spikes/rocks and it's not like they come in on much. I kept shark as adamant for the fat matchup so it's not entirely relying on Kommo, spikes + ada shark does work to stall too u_u. On the real tho this is a dope team and I've loved this community and you've been a huge part of it as you've welcomed me with open arms since day 1. Thanks for everything and hopefully this rate helped at least a little bit. Good shit.
Ip ManYesterday at 6:13 PM
I also didn’t ask about your feelings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)