Drag (mostly RPDR - Spoiler Heavy)

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
1. i think rupauls drag race is quietly becoming extremely popular, but somehow the prize pool remains just 100k for the winner. although I know the winners and runners up can usually get more money through offers they get after the show, and a lot of seasons the top 3 already were established outside of drag (last season and s6 come to mind especially). I think it will probably take a year or so to figure out how all the new revenue streams can work and change the prize pool accordingly.

2. ru has a 'pull yourself up by your own charisma uniqueness nerve and talent' attitude, that ironically only comes out with drag queens of color and he actually babies the white queens immensely which is unhelpful for them, but may comfort the audience. I experience Drag Race as not being that transphobic as a non-binary person. It is however, extremely sexist and thus transphobic by implication.

2a. I dont think rupaul has done more harm than good and i dont think the show derives its entertainment value from the drama. the best seasons of drag race (s5,6) had some drama with narcissistic white af assholes like Courtney Act, Milk, Roxy Andrews, but overall I think these queens make the show less entertaining and are just irritating for me. Especially Courtney Act, and double especially Roxy Andrews as they both stick around a long time. I guess having someone to root against is fun tho, but often it just feels crummy because Roxy Andrews Or Eureka stick around instead of more deserving queens.

3. trixie is the most overrated queen. so undeserving, her makeup is a shame for someone who won, sorry.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not aware of anything THIS trinity has said that's transphobic. What's the tea?
I know the OTHER trinity, miss k bonet has.

I'm not aware of anything THIS trinity has said that's transphobic. What's the tea?
I know the OTHER trinity, miss k bonet has.
People keep on saying that trinity the tuck is transphobic bc she said on a livestream that biological females shouldn't be allowed on the show, but instead have their own show for bio queens, kings and all of that. I guess I can see where people would perceive that as transphobic, but thats not how I see it.

time to revive this :psygrump:

Honestly, does it really matter at this point? I can barely name any drag queens who have not had transphobic or racist comments at this point. A lot of the times I think it's very misinterpreted and people take it to the extreme, it's so easy for people to get pressed and smash their kboards to let them know how wrong the person is. I mean even RuPaul has had 'transphobic' comments about trans people who participate in the art of drag and he got bashed for it so harshly that we might get a trans queen every season at this point. Also this seems very pointed at Trinity but did she seem transphobic when Gia hit the room in as4?

(these texts involve spoilers, dont read if you didn't see)

Speaking of All Stars, this season is gonna be a shit show and I cannot wait to get into it. The first episode was already very heavily produced, Gia is getting the villain edit and they are really pushing it. It definitely is changing my thoughts about her (and i hate that), I thought she was amazing on the billboard serie and a good performer on the switch2 but this isn't very cute and I'm not sure how much more I can handle. Valentina is getting the star persona edit and i'm not surprised. The rest of the cast doesn't seem to be as heavily produced yet but I think you can clearly see who the 'heathers and boogers' of the season are. I'm expecting the top 4 (since top 3 isn't a thing anymore) to be Valentina, Naomi, Trinity and Manila. Manila isn't very important to me I don't care for her but I really enjoyed her talent performance and thought it was good. The talent show was a bit disappointing this season, a lot of people seem mad that Gia wasn't high but I am not, Naomi's was good but I don't think it deserved high however, I'm personally rooting for her so I'm okay with it. But that may change because producers sometimes fuck my opinions and beliefs. Monique is the heart of this season again, a great commentator and probably the only queen I can hear for hours without getting annoyed from this season. Monet was slightly underwhelming and pretentious, I didn't like her talking about s7 and s9 poorly when s10 was literally the biggest shit show ever, but anyways. its good cast yes, ep2 is gonna be spilling, very excited for gia vs farrah.
that's about all i can say about all stars i guess so i'm just gonna throw this in

Sonique in the xmas special was probably the best decision Ru or the producers ever made and Mayhem deserved to win. Overall the show was utter shit, I hated the musical aspect and Jasmine literally got 0 airtime I mean she didn't even get to describe her runway and god knows it deserved an explanation, wtf was that. The rupaul vs michelle lipsync was fun, they could've at least gave the same shoes to the clones but its ok it was a good moment. I was very disappointed and sad that I wasted time on it so I'll leave it at that. I don't know what else to say, eureka and trixie were in it (omg yay cannot get enough of them xoxo hahahaha), Shangela was good, kim chi and latrice were there, very fun... good promo for ru's album, im kinda over talking about it so that's where im leaving it.
im actually LIVING for gia. she can be a little mean but i love drama. I didn't really watch the christmas special because i was busy, and then i heard it was a shitshow.

EV

Banned deucer.
Jasmine literally got 0 airtime I mean she didn't even get to describe her runway and god knows it deserved an explanation, wtf was that.
She left before they finished filming the special.

the tldr is she was mad at Shangela for leaving the workroom to talk shop with the producers and "wasting everyone's time" so she peaced out, but according to Shangela she was talking to the producers because they didn't want to pay the queens overtime and she was able to get them all paid (except jasmine who left lol).

Cleo

point me to the nearest waffle house
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I am LIVING for All Stars 4 so far. I don't know any spoilers (cough reddit cough) and I've been very careful with what trailers I watch so I can watch in real time.. also how is this the first time I've found this forum, hi n_n. Before getting into the below, I love & support the art of drag and I would absolutely support my local queens if I had the opportunity

I'm rooting for Manila Luzon ❤, but I would be fine with a lot of these queens taking the crown (latrice/valentina/monique/trinity/naomi). Now about the episode, girrrrrrl. THIS WAS AN EPISODE OF DRAG RACE, PERIODT. Even though, Valentina pmuch stole the whole show. From the workroom outfit storytimes to the challenge to the lipsync, oh my god. AND THE RUNWAY LOOKS TONIGHT. I WAS GAGGED BY ALMOST ALL THE QUEENS. And I can't not talk about the ending when Farrah said "You actually don't love me" to Gia. I. WAS. NOT. READY. AMERICA.

For example, Sasha Velour, the latest winner of the show, has gone from 1.2k followers on Instagram before the show, to now having 701k followers! An insane increase. An example of a queen who hasn't made it on the show quite yet is Monét X Change, known for being a fiercely funny queen and excellent lip syncer. She's known and respected in the New York drag scene, the largest in the world.
its cute to read the description more than 1 year later and realizing how life has changed for these talented girls, sasha having more than 1 million of followers now and monet having a second shot at rpdr

Myzozoa

so saad that Farrah Moan got eliminated, but she and monique should never have been the bottom 2, Monique's runway was a top all time runway look imo, i just watched the reddit analysis of her runway and they try to hate on it calling it a 'boot', but then cant find anything wrong with it and it turns out it there was nothing the hosts actually pointed out for critique, while they singled out every piece of the outfit as amazing and suited to her performance, so... Back to Farrah, I feel my personality is a 50-50 between hers and The Vixen's...

b t dubs

i am watching s9 and u can see what type of person eureka is in that season.

Last edited:

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Love this thread!! It took me a while to get into RPDR but now I am hooked. I am glad that it's breaking into the mainstream and being featured as a juggernaut show on VH1 nowadays. However, with the increasing fan base you also have pretty vicious hate against the queens (and other fans). One performance that sticks out is Aja from S9/All Stars 3 performing with said hatred against her -- very moving!

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
if manilla doesn't win, im going to find rupaul in the parking lot

also her not being in the top over trinity last week was complete riggamoris

afaik, she has the best record ever barely behind ben and alaska rn, and she certainly has been the star of the current season.

please nobody pull a shangela

Myzozoa

ima enjoy the reactions here when monique or trinity is deservingly crowned.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
idt Monique is at that level yet tbh. If she had another year or two before her all stars run, I think she might have been able to pull it off.

I thought trinity was the obvious frontrunner for the first few episodes, but imo she's really dropped the ball in every episode since the courtroom challenge (where she should have been in the bottom instead of monet). I didn't like her performance in the club challenge either. I think she can turn it around in the next couple episodes and bring back that earlier success, though. But at the same time, I can't think of a better runner up behind manilla (or replacement if manilla is eliminated). She's definitely better overall than most of the other remaining girls, she's just been in a bit of a slump.

Also her runways have been exquisite throughout.

As long as Gia never comes back, I'm satisfied

tysequaine

80% sexy, 20% disgusting
There's probably going to be some sort of jury or challenge based around the past winners tbh.

Fuck anyone who doesn't recognise miss Gia as our patron saint of drawma, mawma.

I'm becoming a bit fatigued with the way drag is portrayed in the media, mostly due to the show and its audience. It's becoming too sanitised, too political. Don't get me wrong, drag in its purest form is a sort of political protest, but there seems to be an expectation of queens today to be paragons of progressive action and morality in all aspects of their drag. Which is fine to an extent when you apply that to the 'celebrity' queens who, whether they like it or not, are becoming role models for young queer people. My problem is when this culture of pristine, polished, perfectly political drag trickles down into the local scenes.

I barely go out to see shows in my town anymore, because there isn't any adventure in it anymore, there's no risk. It's still entertaining, but it's all very samey. The queens that push the boundaries of what's considered good taste, or go too far away from fish in their aesthetic, are finding themselves less and less welcome in a scene that's becoming more about catering to young cishet girls than it is about dismantling expectations of gender, sexuality and societal norms in general.

Or maybe that's too much emotion for safe and the wider drag scene isn't represented by what I'm seeing locally, idk

tl;dr praise divine, follow @isshehungry on instagram, support local queens and stop quoting trixie mattel thanks

edit: and stop assuming all cis female drag queens are Beckys who just want to wear thicker lashes and dance with gays, Holestar and Creme Fatale are amazing

Honestly wtf, I can understand Naomi saving Latrice because she "owed" her one after what happened last week, but what's up with Monét choosing Manila's lipstick as well, the black alliance is real. I'm just hoping Trinity to win the whole thing at this point as she's playing a clean game and slaying here and there

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Honestly tho I realise that every time Monique opens her mouth I laugh really hard so you know what Myzozoa is right just give it to her. Would be more deserved than Tracy Martel

Or just go all the way and crown jasmine masters. who cares.

Also didnt both of them throw a fit over manilla saving latrice before? Considering who got saved this time... lol we're at like 8 layers of hypocrisy

I really think it's time they switch up the format for All Stars. It's tired after three seasons in a row, and we've seen how it plays out badly (cough Ben). No juries either. That's the worst decision for All Stars.

I know it's been brought up multiple times, but I'd love if the winner chose the Bottom 2 and they did a LSFYL. No more legacy lip syncs!

EV

Banned deucer.

Late to watch but gooped and then gooped some more.

I hear Valentina is coming back and I'm sure the original plan was to crown her anyway so Manila's elim probably doesn't even matter. Just an utter shame she didn't reach the end.

Exeggutor

twist
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
There's probably going to be some sort of jury or challenge based around the past winners tbh.

Fuck anyone who doesn't recognise miss Gia as our patron saint of drawma, mawma.

I'm becoming a bit fatigued with the way drag is portrayed in the media, mostly due to the show and its audience. It's becoming too sanitised, too political. Don't get me wrong, drag in its purest form is a sort of political protest, but there seems to be an expectation of queens today to be paragons of progressive action and morality in all aspects of their drag. Which is fine to an extent when you apply that to the 'celebrity' queens who, whether they like it or not, are becoming role models for young queer people. My problem is when this culture of pristine, polished, perfectly political drag trickles down into the local scenes.

I barely go out to see shows in my town anymore, because there isn't any adventure in it anymore, there's no risk. It's still entertaining, but it's all very samey. The queens that push the boundaries of what's considered good taste, or go too far away from fish in their aesthetic, are finding themselves less and less welcome in a scene that's becoming more about catering to young cishet girls than it is about dismantling expectations of gender, sexuality and societal norms in general.

Or maybe that's too much emotion for safe and the wider drag scene isn't represented by what I'm seeing locally, idk

tl;dr praise divine, follow @isshehungry on instagram, support local queens and stop quoting trixie mattel thanks

edit: and stop assuming all cis female drag queens are Beckys who just want to wear thicker lashes and dance with gays, Holestar and Creme Fatale are amazing
It sounds like your local scene is just kind of boring. I barely step out of this one uni event I go to, it's all pretty amateur, but it's still great fun and everyone's included. I do say that being pretty young and not having much experience with the scene though.

so, whose team are you guys on? still #TeamTuck but i'd live if naomi won simply for the fact that
she eliminated manila...
it do take nerve... i know she doesn't really have a high chance, but i'm excited to see her verse! and all of them really! should be a great wrap up to a phenomenal season, imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)