OU OU Black Sludge Amoonguss [QC: 2/1] [GP: 1/1]

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sludge Bomb / Stun Spore

Amoonguss has risen in usage since Zygarde's ban and challenges Tangrowth as a Grass-type with Regenerator. It fits wells on bulky offense due to its immunity to Toxic, enough special bulk to run Black Sludge, and key resistances to Fairy, Electric, and Water. Its many resistances allow it to switch into many special attackers like Magearna, Tapu Koko, and Ash-Greninja and cripple them with status. Also, Amoonguss can pacify Pokemon like Mega Alakazam and Tornadus-T with Spore or Stun Spore when they switch in and can take at least one of their attacks at high health. Amoonguss can even take on the likes of Kartana and Mega Mawile. However, Amoonguss's lack of damage output hinders its offensive presence, so teammates like Mega Mawile, Mega Medicham, Keldeo, and Kartana can capitalize on status it inflicts. Water-types like Rotom-W and Mega Slowbro appreciate Amoonguss's resistance to Electric, and Steel-types like Celesteela, Heatran, and Magearna can cover for its Psychic weakness.

Last edited:
comments in purple things to remove in red

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb / Stun Spore

Amoonguss has risen in usage since Zygarde's ban and challenges Tangrowth as the designated Regenerator Grass-type Grass-type with Regenerator. "Designated Regenerator Grass-type" is kind of misleading, because it makes it seem like all Grass-types have Regenerator/there's more with Regenerator present in the meta. It fits wells on bulky balance teams due to its immunity to Toxic, enough bulk to run Black Sludge, and resistances to Fairy and Fighting. Replace Fighting with Electric, because Amoonguss loses to Mega Medicham. Also, add its resistance to Water and give some specific examples for each types. Amoonguss at full health can pacify Pokemon like Mega Alakazam and Tornadus-T with Spore or Stun Spore after living their attack and gain back its health via Regenerator. You should word it more like it can cripple them upon switch in, because you should 99/100 times not stay in with Amoonguss on them. It can also switch into many special attackers like Ash-Greninja, Magearna, and Tapu Koko, tank their moves, and do the same thing. I think you should tie this to the point you make about its resistances. Amoonguss can even take on the likes of Kartana and Mega Mawile, along with other physical attackers. However, Amoonguss's passivity lacking damage output (it's not necessarily passive, because it doesn't have to use recovery often thanks to Regenerator) hinders its offensive presence, so Pokemon like Mega Mawile, Mega Medicham, Keldeo, and Kartana can take advantage of the status Amoonguss inflicts. This sounds a bit awkward with the change I made so I think you should reword this a bit. Moreover, Water-types like Rotom-W, Tapu Fini, and Mega Slowbro can cover for Amoonguss's weaknesses, with Mega Slowbro even forming a Regenerator core with it. I'm honestly not a fan of mentioning Tapu Fini here, because it overlaps so much with Amoonguss and even hinders its utility with Spore. If you have enough characters, I think you should talk about Steel-types.
Please PM me on Discord once this is implemented for 1/1.

couple comments on my end:
Amoonguss has risen in usage since Zygarde's ban and challenges Tangrowth as a Grass-type with Regenerator
Might be worthwhile to clarify why. Pretty much now that Zygarde is gone Grass-types that don't resist Ground get a lot more leeway and are a lot easier to fit on teams because they don't have to check Zygarde anymore.
It fits wells on bulky balance teams due to its immunity to Toxic
What do you mean with “bulky balance”? If it is bulky offense and balance that's aight, but if you mean balance but bulkier then you're kind of omitting Amoonguss's role on bo.
Also, Amoonguss at full health can pacify Pokemon like Mega Alakazam and Tornadus-T with Spore or Stun Spore when they switch in and can take at least one of their attacks
doesn't need to be at full health to catch them upon switch in.

No Heatran mention in the part that suggest teammates makes me sad, it's like the best Amoonguss teammate in my opinion.

QC 2:1 I guess?

edit: @ below, ok fair enough, forgot about the character limit

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)