Project Community Create-A-Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Well everyone I feel the need to paste this here.

Golem (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Bulldoze
- Smack Down

This Golem beats Magerna, courtesy of the lord himself, Landon

EDIT: Ironically enough I am pasting this set off of a team with Bulu
I actually never thought about that set, and everyone else most likely hasn't either. But uhh, no counter means no Kartana or Dragonite slayed, and sucker punch with sturdy is too much to give up. At least in my eyes. Oh, and making an entire set for one mon is not something you want when stuff like Dragonite, Kartana, fighting types, ect exist. But yeah though, you're right when I think about it. I had to put that in the edit because I don't want to hear complaints, and it's been proven.

Bulu and Magcargo make good partners because they can cover eachothers weaknesses, Magcargo beats things that threaten bulu such as magearna and zards.
but why use magcargo when you can use a way cooler and better mon B)

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 232 HP / 68 SpA / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ancient Power
- Flash Cannon

Camerupt is super cool, it beats both zards, magearna, and most speedy-offensive mons. It obviously complements well with bulu since bulu can take on most water types that give Camerupt trouble. These evs could be beter optimized but the main thing they're for is surviving and offensive z-hyperbeam from pz. The shared weakness between this and bulu is dnite, water types with coverage (gren) and speed traps (although grass type makes bulu immune to the sleep moves that most of them use.)

Last edited:
Well everyone I feel the need to paste this here.

Golem (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Bulldoze
- Smack Down

EDIT: Ironically enough I am pasting this set off of a team with Bulu
this is actually not a guaranteed win against mage, it puts you in a 50/50 situation where you have to predict whether it's shuca or magnet rise. If you bulldoze t1 and it's magnet rise you lose, if you rock tomb/smack down t1 and it's shuca you lose.
You can't physically beat Magearna without having to predict anything, even using some dumb z sunny day + fire punch shit doesn't work. It simply lacks the speed, attack and special defense to win reliably.

On the topic of being "Taunt bait," most taunt users or pseudo-taunts (SubEncore for example) actually lose to Tapu Bulu, which only highlights the pair even further. Gyarados, Tapu Fini, Primarina (With Encore), Tapu Lele, Gardevoir, Mew and Zeraora just to name a few. Being able to invite these mons in allows for more Bulu wreckage.

Tapu:Nullu seems like a good core, but we'll let the community decide :^)

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
252+ Atk Golem Bulldoze vs. +2 252 HP / 0+ Def Magearna: 84-102 (23 - 28%) -- 70.5% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Golem Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. +2 252 HP / 0+ Def Magearna: 248-294 (68.1 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
rolls

252+ Atk Golem Bulldoze vs. +2 252 HP / 0+ Def Magearna: 84-102 (23 - 28%) -- 70.5% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Golem Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. +2 252 HP / 0+ Def Magearna: 248-294 (68.1 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
rolls
Doesn't end up being a role because you normal earthquake turn 2 and Z-Earthquake turn 3. So no matter what they do (Pain Split or Iron Def again) you still win.

this is actually not a guaranteed win against mage, it puts you in a 50/50 situation where you have to predict whether it's shuca or magnet rise. If you bulldoze t1 and it's magnet rise you lose, if you rock tomb/smack down t1 and it's shuca you lose.
You can't physically beat Magearna without having to predict anything, even using some dumb z sunny day + fire punch shit doesn't work. It simply lacks the speed, attack and special defense to win reliably.
Also if the Magearna is Shuca or Magnet Rise that means no Iron Defense so Bulu just beats them.

I actually never thought about that set, and everyone else most likely hasn't either. But uhh, no counter means no Kartana or Dragonite slayed, and sucker punch with sturdy is too much to give up. At least in my eyes. Oh, and making an entire set for one mon is not something you want when stuff like Dragonite, Kartana, fighting types, ect exist. But yeah though, you're right when I think about it. I had to put that in the edit because I don't want to hear complaints, and it's been proven.
Lastly, you still beat most Dragonites and sub kartana is the best set which beats Golem anyway. It's not made just to beat one mon, it's designed to make stronger match ups versus certain things that your team is weak to.

Regardless I would like to nominate Heatran as a good partner.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 96 HP / 180 SpA / 104 SpD / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Rock Tomb
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Heatran basically beats steel types that Bulu cant touch such as Ferrothorn/Magearna/Celestella/Metagross/Mahwile/ and has a good matchup versus Aggron. On top of that it handles the Zards and some other fires like Volcarona and Blacephalon.

I just copy and pasted this set so there may be a better one out there somewhere for Bulu support but this looks fine for now.

So the stacked weaknesses that they would have is Fighting Types with Poison coverage and a few mons like Blakazin/Fly-Z Lando/Speed control things like Smeargle and Vivillion but overall I think they cover a good chunk of the meta-game, beating roughly 75% of the S and A rank mons.

Last edited:
see bulu loses to like
fire types and steel types so the immideate thought is a ground type, which makes sense. poison types, flying types also do bulu in so that just adds more worth to ground. Most people are bringing up pretty standard (or at least standard-ish) pokemon to team with bulu, but im going to throw a nidoking up in here!! now this is probably going to end up a bad idea; but it seems fun so lets try it out. lets first try seeing if we can avoid having to use scarf by tanking hits from both zards. 232 Atk Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 240-283 (79.2 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO . Good start! we already tank most zard x without investment. what do we do in return though? 0 SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 254-300 (84.9 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO. Now considering this A. isn't max bulk zard, and B. isn't anywhere near a guaranteed ohko, we need to work on this, but first, lets check zard y. 144+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Blast Burn vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 372-438 (122.7 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO. Ok, so lets go 252 HP, and also check if this tanks 252 ada zard x. 144+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Blast Burn vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 372-438 (101.6 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO. Unfortunantley, we will have to run scarf, because i don't want to put too much into spdef, but lets try it anyways. 144+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Blast Burn vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Nidoking: 309-364 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Nice. For the sake of it, lets just put the rest of the EV's into Special Attack for now. 104+ SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 312-368 (104.3 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO. But i hate to break it to you guys, this wont work. Scarf is a requirement due to outspeeding Magearna, which i just don't think we can have serviceable power with that, but lets try. 60 Speed EVS puts us at 221 speed, outspeeding fast magearna. this leaves us with 44+ special attack. 44+ SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 290-344 (96.9 - 115%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO. Switching Nidoking to Mild nature, to have no Attack drop, gives us 232 Atk Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Nidoking: 267-315 (72.9 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, and it gives us 0 Atk Nidoking Stone Edge vs. 8 HP / 148 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 304-360 (101.6 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO. This works to beat zards. Magearna is the other main focus of this calcing, which is working fine, 44+ SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 232 HP / 36 SpD Magearna: 218-260 (60.7 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO into 44+ SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. +1 232 HP / 36 SpD Magearna: 146-174 (40.6 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO, doing a minimum damage of 101.3%, or a guaranteed OHKO. An interesting thought for a partner to Bulu. The core loses prominently to dragonite, but all in all, Nidoking will make a pretty nice partner for Bulu. This uses the main Bulu set
and i just realized i forgot Nido's item! it's life orb, meaning these calcs have nidoking doing even more damage. im not going to bother recalcing them.
Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 44 SpA / 152 SpD / 60 Spe
Mild Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

Last edited:

Chickenpie2

red:active
is a Contributor Alumnus
232 Atk Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Nidoking: 267-315 (72.9 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO,
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Nidoking: 315-372 (86 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
Hate to burst ur bubble bud, but nidoking is an awful zard x check. Believe me ive tried. Nonetheless urs seems pretty decent, except for the 50/50 on zardx.
Dont run mild. You can afford to run a -Atk nature because u have life orb boost which guarantees ohko on mega y and non mega.
Also this is probably ur calcs fault but u missed tough claws in like every calc.
Also also, it seems like ur running a lot of defensive evs on nidoking. Which makes me think that nidoqueen might actually be a better pick because its the same mon but better natural defenses, giving u more freedom to put evs elsewhere.

Last edited:
flying types also do bulu in so that just adds more worth to ground
eh?

Anyway, Nidoking is a pretty cool mon and its typing fits Bulu's pretty well, but using it as a zard check is a pretty bad choice if I must say so myself.
If you really wanna use it, I recommend this set:
Nidoking @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 236 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
It doesn't do very well against zards and dnite, so we would have to leave that job the the third member
It does beat magnezone, zygarde, metagross (not heavily invested offensively), but not much else. It has good coverage but it gets easily outsped and ohkoed by high tier threats in the meta. If you wanna run scarf over specs, then you just dont do enough damage to kill anything.
Imho it gets simply outclassed by naganadel, both in speed and offensive power. Coverage-wise it lacks a powerful ground-type or ice-type move, but it compensates with a STAB 130 BP Draco Meteor. The bulk difference is so marginal that it simply doesnt matter.

So I'm just gonna nom Naganadel instead
Naganadel @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]
Naganadel does a decent job at countering both zards, as long as you guess what mega it is and it's not spdef zardX. Has the same issue of not being able to beat dnite and magearna, but it counters non scarf lele and mgardevoir, kommo-o, landorus t and other mons that Nidoking normally wouldn't.
Personally I'd rather not use naganadel as a second mo, but it's typing and offensive power make it worth to keep in consideration

Has the same issue of not being able to beat dnite and magearna, but it counters non scarf lele and mgardevoir, kommo-o, landorus t
You could play Modest Specs to have a chance of killing Mag
252+ SpA Choice Specs Naganadel Fire Blast vs. 232 HP / 36 SpD Magearna: 334-394 (93 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
You would still win against the threads you named by name, but idk about other mons.

252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Nidoking: 315-372 (86 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
Since Life Orb is boosting damage, we can afford to take more then 4 points out of special attack to boost the defense of nidoking, to a 100% zard x win. Its a 50/50 if they choose not to mega i guess.
Has the same issue of not being able to beat dnite and magearna
my nidoking does beat magearna....
anyways i understand its not the best partner i made it just for fun and i do think it'd be a pretty interesting pair.
also i have no idea why i said the flying type giving more worth to ground. Mustve been thinking about rock.

tagging stableprince569 and Chickenpie2 because i don't know how to do quotes properly yay

edit: also, about nidoqueen, if we want nidoqueen to have the same special defense, hp, and speed as the nidoking, which would be required, they end up also having the same special attack. Nidoqueen would have more defense, and nidoking has more attack. Oddly enough, nidoqueen ends up having 2 more stats, with 198 attack and 210 defense compared to 216 attack and 190 defense. 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 288-339 (78.6 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. 0- Atk Life Orb Nidoqueen Stone Edge vs. 8 HP / 148 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 322-385 (107.6 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
Nidoqueen actually is better then Nidoking here, then. Thanks for the suggestion. In fact... 136+ Atk Dragonite Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 331-391 (90.4 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO. Not like we could EV to beat dragonite or anything I just think its an interesting calc. This still beats Magearna, which is nice. Naganadel sounds less fun as well.

Last edited:
Did i hear we need a chaRIZARD CHECK? Golisopod time.

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Sucker Punch
- Drill Run/ Liquidation
- Rock Tomb/ Rock Slide
beats zardY 100% of the time, beats zardX if you predict and click drill run t1 if its not some wack defensive set. it also opens up the team to be a FWG core team. it does leave the team a little weak to poison types. oh yeah it also beats heatran.

Did i hear we need a chaRIZARD CHECK? Golisopod time.

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Sucker Punch
- Drill Run/ Liquidation
- Rock Tomb/ Rock Slide
beats zardY 100% of the time, beats zardX if you predict and click drill run t1 if its not some wack defensive set. it also opens up the team to be a FWG core team. it does leave the team a little weak to poison types. oh yeah it also beats heatran.
Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Mirror Coat
- Rest
- Laser Focus
This araquanid actually beats zards 100% of the time no predicts needed. It also beats magearna if you laser focus on the iron defense, or if you z liquidation on them attacking. It also beats much more stuff
Araquanid = better golisopod
don't try to change my mind, you cant.
Also araquanid's biggest weaknesses are electric and rock types which tapu bulu just destroys with its grass typing.
This duo would be vulnerable to dnite (and flying types in general), mMetagross and few others. Good core, and also opens up for fwg.

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Mirror Coat
- Rest
- Laser Focus
This araquanid actually beats zards 100% of the time no predicts needed. It also beats magearna if you laser focus on the iron defense, or if you z liquidation on them attacking. It also beats much more stuff
Araquanid = better golisopod
don't try to change my mind, you cant.
Also araquanid's biggest weaknesses are electric and rock types which tapu bulu just destroys with its grass typing.
This duo would be vulnerable to dnite (and flying types in general), mMetagross and few others. Good core, and also opens up for fwg.
While araquanid may seem like a better option, one thing it suffers in is speed. it doesn't help against faster mons, and is not a guaranteed greninja check. the pick of araquanid would more then likely force the last mon to be some form of scarfer or other speed control where golisopod's first impression deals with speed traps such as sub encore disable alakazam and smeargle(even though bulu does as well). in addition araquanid does not provide coverage that can be gotten through golisopod
in short Araquanid is a worse bug water for the team then golisopod

While araquanid may seem like a better option, one thing it suffers in is speed. it doesn't help against faster mons, and is not a guaranteed greninja check. the pick of araquanid would more then likely force the last mon to be some form of scarfer or other speed control where golisopod's first impression deals with
that is true, it suffers when it comes to speed, so it would force the third mon to be a fast/scarf set
but Araquanid is indeed a guaranteed greninja check
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Araquanid: 132-156 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 264-312 (92.6 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (against grass type)
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Araquanid: 123-144 (36.1 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Araquanid: 198-234 (58.2 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
and if it's HP Electric I can just ohko

that is true, it suffers when it comes to speed, so it would force the third mon to be a fast/scarf set
but Araquanid is indeed a guaranteed greninja check
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Araquanid: 132-156 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 264-312 (92.6 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (against grass type)
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Araquanid: 123-144 (36.1 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Araquanid: 198-234 (58.2 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
and if it's HP Electric I can just ohko
BUT CAN IT DO THIS
0 Atk Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 264-312 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(38.4 - 45.4% recoil damage)
164+ Atk Golisopod Drill Run vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Aggron: 208-248 (60.6 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(note, Aggron outspeeds)
No it can't:
0 Atk Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 374-444 (110 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
the calcs prove it: golisopod is better

BUT CAN IT DO THIS
0 Atk Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 264-312 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(38.4 - 45.4% recoil damage)
164+ Atk Golisopod Drill Run vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Aggron: 208-248 (60.6 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(note, Aggron outspeeds)
No it can't:
0 Atk Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 374-444 (110 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
the calcs prove it: golisopod is better
First off, Aggron only runs 252+ attack, which means your calcs are meaningless
252+ Atk Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 356-422 (100.5 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
second of all, golisopod does not outspeed, as the typical Mega Aggron runs 0 Speed IVs, while your Golisopod set does not.
Also, assuming your hypotetical 0 attack aggron set is used, Araquanid can just Lunge to bypass sturdy without getting beaten by metal burst, and lower Aggron's attack, thus surviving a head smash -1 0 Atk Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 252-296 (74.1 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
and then just blast it with a z liquidation.

First off, Aggron only runs 252+ attack, which means your calcs are meaningless
252+ Atk Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 356-422 (100.5 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
second of all, golisopod does not outspeed, as the typical Mega Aggron runs 0 Speed IVs, while your Golisopod set does not.
Also, assuming your hypotetical 0 attack aggron set is used, Araquanid can just Lunge to bypass sturdy without getting beaten by metal burst, and lower Aggron's attack, thus surviving a head smash -1 0 Atk Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 252-296 (74.1 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
and then just blast it with a z liquidation.
Okay, thats fair, I just used showdown sets for the calcs, however you still loose to uhhh, tbolt hoopa-U i guess
148+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Araquanid: 294-346 (86.4 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 88 HP / 92 Def Hoopa-Unbound through Reflect: 252-297 (78 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164+ Atk Golisopod First Impression vs. 88 HP / 92 Def Hoopa-Unbound through Reflect: 390-458 (120.7 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I got the spread for the Hoopa-U from the pokepaste on the roomintro.

Okay, thats fair, I just used showdown sets for the calcs, however you still loose to uhhh, tbolt hoopa-U i guess
148+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Araquanid: 294-346 (86.4 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 88 HP / 92 Def Hoopa-Unbound through Reflect: 252-297 (78 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164+ Atk Golisopod First Impression vs. 88 HP / 92 Def Hoopa-Unbound through Reflect: 390-458 (120.7 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I got the spread for the Hoopa-U from the pokepaste on the roomintro.
why is there a Reflect on there? I think you forgot to remove it. In this case araquanid still kills it and mostly doesnt die
also Thunderbolt 19.818% not really the most relevant set

UPDATE: I forgot to calc for Zard Y in Sun!!!!! Time to Rework the set! Speed EV's of 132 stay the same. We dump all HP Invest (for now) and create 232 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 200 HP / 0- Def Nidoqueen: 313-370 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 200 HP EVs. The reason for the switch back to Mild will be apparent later. We used HP and not defense since that also translates to SpDef, obviously. Zard Y time. My thought here is Assault Vest, which will eventually require some offensive EVing, but lets get to that later. 144+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Blast Burn vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Assault Vest Nidoqueen in Sun: 313-370 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Great!! 72 Atk Nidoqueen Stone Edge vs. 8 HP / 148 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 300-356 (100.3 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO this is why we can't be - attack. We need to OHKO Zard Y or else we lose to any move -> Blast Burn. 48+ SpA Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 266-314 (88.9 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO..

rip nidoqueen. It unfortunantley will not work without a scarf. SCARF TIME!! nah i'll update on scarf tmrw.

why is there a Reflect on there? I think you forgot to remove it. In this case araquanid still kills it and mostly doesnt die
also Thunderbolt 19.818% not really the most relevant set
Thanks for catching the reflect. Regardless I still think that golisopod just provides more coverage aside from water

It seems like most people are pairing Tapu Bulu with their own unique Fire, Rock or Ground type, the general idea being all three appreciating Bulu's ability to easily handle Water and some Ground types. Despite this general idea however, it's really refreshing to see an entire collection of the many creative Pokemon and sets that you guys have come up with; I'm especially a fan of CKBTW's Magcargo, discoplaygames' Regice, and the one that I'm a huge advocate of, AllFourtyOne's Rockium Entei! (which I'll quote at the end of this post). After finally urging myself to write an in-depth suggestion for potential Bulu partners, I've actually decided to nominate one Fire and one Rock type Pokemon of my own that I thought up/messed around with.

Air Balloon Heatran

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Rock Tomb

Heatran is a Pokemon that was made to destroy opposing Fire and Steel types, two of Bulu's main threats, thanks to its solid defensive typing, amazing ability (Flash Fire) and coverage, and is also one that heavily appreciates the removal of Water and Ground types, mainly Mega Gyarados, Greninja, Slowbro, Zygarde and Donphan. It also has a fairly great match-up against the top tiers, consistently beating both Charizards, Magearna, Scarfed Porygon Z, and even some variants of Dragonite (I'll get to that later). Since it runs only coverage moves, Heatran also really appreciates Tapu Bulu's ability to break through stall-y Pokemon that rely on defense boosting moves (such as Calm Mind and Cosmic Power) thanks to Swords Dance and Taunt. Topped with the two having overall fantastic type synergy and a physical/special split (which doesn't matter too much in 1v1 but is still nice), Tapu Bulu and Heatran make for a wonderful core that can hold it's own against the top tier metagame.

The Air Balloon allows Heatran to take on certain Pokemon that would beat it otherwise with ground coverage, namely Metagross, few Charizard-X and opposing Heatran. 96 HP EVs allows us to tank a Hammer Arm from jolly Metagross, coupled with 104 SpD EVs to always live a Z-Zap Cannon from modest Magnezone. The speed EVs are enough to outspeed the standard Magearna set (although some SpA can be sacrificed to outspeed faster variants) and the rest is dumped into SpA, which is much needed to help kill really fat Pokemon, for example Aegislash. As for the moves, Overheat is our one-click nuke for steels, Earth Power and Rock Tomb are used in conjunction to beat Charizard-X and Y as well as Magnezone, and Flash Cannon is used for extra coverage as our strongest move that doesn't lower our special attack by 2.

An alternate set of 96 HP / 224 SpA / 188 Spe with a Timid nature, and Hidden Power Ice over Flash Cannon, allows us to have a pretty good matchup against Dragonite. This spread takes out the special defense needed to beat Magnezone (which Tapu Bulu can beat anyway granted it doesn't carry Flash Cannon), and puts those EVs into speed and special attack, allowing Heatran to outspeed max speed Adamant Dragonite (Jolly seems to be a thing of the past) and 2HKO max HP Dragonite with HP Ice through Multiscale. However, due to the Dragonite's insane versatility, Heatran still loses to a multitude of its sets, for example Superpower, specially defensive and rare Rock Tomb variants, which makes Heatran only a "half-counter" to Dragonite. Additionally, without Flash Cannon, Heatran struggles against some bulky fairies as well as others like Meloetta, although it has better matchups against Pokemon like Garchomp and Landorus-I thanks to HP Ice. So I thought I'd include this too since this slightly different Heatran set is also worth considering.

As far as weaknesses go, the core of Tapu Bulu and Heatran are still vulnerable to Pokemon with the right coverage, as I'm Actually Cash proposed, for example Sawk w/ Poison Jab, Blaziken, Flyinium-Z Landorus, Mamoswine w/ Superpower, the list goes on. Furthermore, the core lacks good overall speed and so it struggles versus speed traps, however Bulu is able to stop some thanks to being immune to Spore/Sleep Powder. Finally, the third addition to this team would need to be a solid answer to both Dragonite and Z move Porygon-Z, as the core struggles with those 2 prevalent threats.

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Hammer Arm vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 294-346 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Magnezone Gigavolt Havoc (190 BP) vs. 96 HP / 104 SpD Heatran: 294-346 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
180+ SpA Heatran Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 312-368 (96.2 - 113.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

224 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 130-154 (33.6 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
224 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 260-308 (67.3 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
224 SpA Heatran Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 294-348 (90.7 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

(I included the Aegislash calcs to demonstrate how having a just little less special attack investment can significantly matter, although Tapu Bulu does beat regular Ghostium Z variants anyway)

Choice Band Archeops

Archeops @ Choice Band
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Head Smash
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Heat Wave

I chose this Pokemon because it covers almost all non-Steel type threats that Tapu Bulu can't beat, and overall, the combination of Bulu and Archeops beats all S and A+ tier Pokemon except for Magearna (Bulu beats Mega Gyarados, Tapu Lele and Scarfed Porygon Z; Archeops beats Charizard-X and Y, Dragonite (non-scarf), Flyinium-Z Gyarados, and Z move Porygon-Z). I also picked it for a better reason: nothing says power more like banded Archeops. Basically, Archeops' sheer strength, great speed stat and wide range of coverage allow it to destroy a plethora of faster Pokemon, especially Fire and Flying types, that can threaten Tapu Bulu with their super effective attacks (I will even include a whole bunch of calcs below to emphasise on this Pokemon's insane power). On the downside however, Archeops' main move, Head Smash, has only an a 80% accuracy, meaning it doesn't get the job done 1 out of 5 times, and this glass cannon bird has no chance against threats faster than itself, or priority attacks either. But still, that doesn't stop this Pokemon from being super fun to use, and not being a worthy partner for Tapu Bulu.

The set is pretty straight forward. Max speed and attack, paired with a choice band, allow Archeops to hit as hard and fast as possible. Head Smash is the move you'll be spamming most the time to net easy KO's, even against bulky Pokemon that aren't hit super effectively by it. Fly is for coverage against Pokemon like Mega Venusaur and Kommo-o, Earthquake gives Archeops the chance to somewhat deal with a few Steel types to an extent, and... Heat Wave? This move is only there for Kartana, however Archeops can still viably run Outrage, Rock Slide (a safer option where Head Smash isn't necessary), and even Switcheroo.

As mentioned before, Tapu Bulu and Archeops will have a really hard time against steels, which are super common in 1v1 thanks to their fantastic defensive type, so a very reliable steel-killer would be required for a third teammate. Additionally, there are many Pokemon that outspeed Archeops and have the coverage to knock out Tapu Bulu, like Naganadel, Weavile, and a crazy amount of choice scarfers. There are also few outliers; for example, Archeops really appreciates Tapu Bulu's ability to handle most Sturdies, however, Crustle is one that Bulu can struggle with. Essentially, it is a 50/50 between going for Taunt on the Shell Smash, or Rock Tomb on the Continental Crush, followed by Bloom Doom. These weaknesses do seem like a lot for a third partner to take on, but we are the 1v1 community, we can figure something out :P

252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 405-477 (104.9 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Lele: 336-396 (97.6 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 132 Def Meloetta: 409-483 (101.4 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (fairly common Meloetta spread)
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 388-457 (96 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 96 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 367-433 (105.7 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Tapu Fini: 339-400 (98.8 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Necrozma: 384-453 (96.4 - 113.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 346-408 (101.4 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (I know Jirachi is either scarfed or bulky, but I couldn't find a steel type that Archeops can reliably beat with EQ lol)
4 SpA Archeops Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 724-856 (279.5 - 330.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And that is all! I probably spent way too much time on this so I hope it was a good and insightful read. Have a good day/night all!

- Fun

And of course, AllFourtyOne's Rockium Z Entei (My vote goes to this set btw!)
My thought is Entei for a teammate

Entei @ Rockium Z
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 44 Def / 208 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Flame Charge / Stomping Tantrum

this covers rock, ice, and flying types for Tapu Bulu, and Bulu in return beats Waters, Rocks, and Grounds that beat Entei. This can lead into a nice FWG core, and the two cover a significant portion of the meta, sans physical flyinium dragonite. it's a lot more stylish than golem, and beats more of Bulu's threats as well, such as Magearna.
Links to images used: https://www.furaffinity.net/view/16900620/ by Incoherrant, https://www.deviantart.com/kaceymeg/art/Best-Bird-Archeops-274713233 by KaceyMeg

Last edited:
It seems like most people are pairing Tapu Bulu with their own unique Fire, Rock or Ground type, the general idea being all three appreciating Bulu's ability to easily handle Water and some Ground types. Despite this general idea however, it's really refreshing to see an entire collection of the many creative Pokemon and sets that you guys have come up with; I'm especially a fan of CKBTW's Magcargo, discoplaygames' Regice, and the one that I'm a huge advocate of, AllFourtyOne's Rockium Entei! (which I'll quote at the end of this post). After finally urging myself to write an in-depth suggestion for potential Bulu partners, I've actually decided to nominate one Fire and one Rock type Pokemon of my own that I thought up/messed around with.

Air Balloon Heatran

View attachment 175705

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Rock Tomb

Heatran is a Pokemon that was made to destroy opposing Fire and Steel types, two of Bulu's main threats, thanks to its solid defensive typing, amazing ability (Flash Fire) and coverage, and is also one that heavily appreciates the removal of Water and Ground types, mainly Mega Gyarados, Greninja, Slowbro, Zygarde and Donphan. It also has a fairly great match-up against the top tiers, consistently beating both Charizards, Magearna, Scarfed Porygon Z, and even some variants of Dragonite (I'll get to that later). Since it runs only coverage moves, Heatran also really appreciates Tapu Bulu's ability to break through stall-y Pokemon that rely on defense boosting moves (such as Calm Mind and Cosmic Power) thanks to Swords Dance and Taunt. Topped with the two having overall fantastic type synergy and a physical/special split (which doesn't matter too much in 1v1 but is still nice), Tapu Bulu and Heatran make for a wonderful core that can hold it's own against the top tier metagame.

The Air Balloon allows Heatran to take on certain Pokemon that would beat it otherwise with ground coverage, namely Metagross, few Charizard-X and opposing Heatran. 96 HP EVs allows us to tank a Hammer Arm from jolly Metagross, coupled with 104 SpD EVs to always live a Z-Zap Cannon from modest Magnezone. The speed EVs are enough to outspeed the standard Magearna set (although some SpA can be sacrificed to outspeed faster variants) and the rest is dumped into SpA, which is much needed to help kill really fat Pokemon, for example Aegislash. As for the moves, Overheat is our one-click nuke for steels, Earth Power and Rock Tomb are used in conjunction to beat Charizard-X and Y as well as Magnezone, and Flash Cannon is used for extra coverage as our strongest move that doesn't lower our special attack by 2.

An alternate set of 96 HP / 224 SpA / 188 Spe with a Timid nature, and Hidden Power Ice over Flash Cannon, allows us to have a pretty good matchup against Dragonite. This spread takes out the special defense needed to beat Magnezone (which Tapu Bulu can beat anyway granted it doesn't carry Flash Cannon), and puts those EVs into speed and special attack, allowing Heatran to outspeed max speed Adamant Dragonite (Jolly seems to be a thing of the past) and 2HKO max HP Dragonite with HP Ice through Multiscale. However, due to the Dragonite's insane versatility, Heatran still loses to a multitude of its sets, for example Superpower, specially defensive and rare Rock Tomb variants, which makes Heatran only a "half-counter" to Dragonite. Additionally, without Flash Cannon, Heatran struggles against some bulky fairies as well as others like Meloetta, although it has better matchups against Pokemon like Garchomp and Landorus-I thanks to HP Ice. So I thought I'd include this too since this slightly different Heatran set is also worth considering.

As far as weaknesses go, the core of Tapu Bulu and Heatran are still vulnerable to Pokemon with the right coverage, as I'm Actually Cash proposed, for example Sawk w/ Poison Jab, Blaziken, Flyinium-Z Landorus, Mamoswine w/ Superpower, the list goes on. Furthermore, the core lacks good overall speed and so it struggles versus speed traps, however Bulu is able to stop some thanks to being immune to Spore/Sleep Powder. Finally, the third addition to this team would need to be a solid answer to both Dragonite and Z move Porygon-Z, as the core struggles with those 2 prevalent threats.

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Hammer Arm vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 294-346 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Magnezone Gigavolt Havoc (190 BP) vs. 96 HP / 104 SpD Heatran: 294-346 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
180+ SpA Heatran Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 312-368 (96.2 - 113.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

224 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 130-154 (33.6 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
224 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 260-308 (67.3 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
224 SpA Heatran Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 294-348 (90.7 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

(I included the Aegislash calcs to demonstrate how having a just little less special attack investment can significantly matter, although Tapu Bulu does beat regular Ghostium Z variants anyway)

Choice Band Archeops

View attachment 175754

Archeops @ Choice Band
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Head Smash
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Heat Wave

I chose this Pokemon because it covers almost all non-Steel type threats that Tapu Bulu can't beat, and overall, the combination of Bulu and Archeops beats all S and A+ tier Pokemon except for Magearna (Bulu beats Mega Gyarados, Tapu Lele and Scarfed Porygon Z; Archeops beats Charizard-X and Y, Dragonite (non-scarf), Flyinium-Z Gyarados, and Z move Porygon-Z). I also picked it for a better reason: nothing says power more like banded Archeops. Basically, Archeops' sheer strength, great speed stat and wide range of coverage allow it to destroy a plethora of faster Pokemon, especially Fire and Flying types, that can threaten Tapu Bulu with their super effective attacks (I will even include a whole bunch of calcs below to emphasise on this Pokemon's insane power). On the downside however, Archeops' main move, Head Smash, has only an a 80% accuracy, meaning it doesn't get the job done 1 out of 5 times, and this glass cannon bird has no chance against threats faster than itself, or priority attacks either. But still, that doesn't stop this Pokemon from being super fun to use, and not being a worthy partner for Tapu Bulu.

The set is pretty straight forward. Max speed and attack, paired with a choice band, allow Archeops to hit as hard and fast as possible. Head Smash is the move you'll be spamming most the time to net easy KO's, even against bulky Pokemon that aren't hit super effectively by it. Fly is for coverage against Pokemon like Mega Venusaur and Kommo-o, Earthquake gives Archeops the chance to somewhat deal with a few Steel types to an extent, and... Heat Wave? This move is only there for Kartana, however Archeops can still viably run Outrage, Rock Slide (a safer option where Head Smash isn't necessary), and even Switcheroo.

As mentioned before, Tapu Bulu and Archeops will have a really hard time against steels, which are super common in 1v1 thanks to their fantastic defensive type, so a very reliable steel-killer would be required for a third teammate. Additionally, there are many Pokemon that outspeed Archeops and have the coverage to knock out Tapu Bulu, like Naganadel, Weavile, and a crazy amount of choice scarfers. There are also few outliers; for example, Archeops really appreciates Tapu Bulu's ability to handle most Sturdies, however, Crustle is one that Bulu can struggle with. Essentially, it is a 50/50 between going for Taunt on the Shell Smash, or Rock Tomb on the Continental Crush, followed by Bloom Doom. These weaknesses do seem like a lot for a third partner to take on, but we are the 1v1 community, we can figure something out :P

252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 405-477 (104.9 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Lele: 336-396 (97.6 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 132 Def Meloetta: 409-483 (101.4 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (fairly common Meloetta spread)
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 388-457 (96 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 96 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 367-433 (105.7 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Tapu Fini: 339-400 (98.8 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Necrozma: 384-453 (96.4 - 113.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Archeops Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 346-408 (101.4 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (I know Jirachi is either scarfed or bulky, but I couldn't find a steel type that Archeops can reliably beat with EQ lol)
4 SpA Archeops Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 724-856 (279.5 - 330.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And that is all! I probably spent way too much time on this so I hope it was a good and insightful read. Have a good day/night all!

- Fun

And of course, AllFourtyOne's Rockium Z Entei (My vote goes to this set btw!)

Links to images used: https://www.furaffinity.net/view/16900620/ by Incoherrant, https://www.deviantart.com/kaceymeg/art/Best-Bird-Archeops-274713233 by KaceyMeg
When you also post Heatran and get left out of the post. Feels bad

I did mention you somewhere in the last paragraph of my Heatran analysis, so don't worry, I didn't forget about you! Although I just realised we submitted the exact same Heatran set (EVs, moves and all), so next time I promise to give you much more credit my dude.
All good! I'm glad someone else thought it was a good partner too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)