SM OU Double screens KokoLucha HO

DOUBLE SCREENS KOKOLUCHA HYPER OFFENSE
Hello guys, its been a long time since I last wrote my first and, until now, my firsm RMT in ORAS. I learned quite a few stuff about competitive pokémon since then, but I still have a long way to go to become an actual good player (still having a hard time getting past 1500 lol), but that is why I have come here today.
I have been using the famous koko lucha offensive core for some time during the metagame, and it has always been on of my favorite cores in the SM meta, but, I have decided to give a twist by using screens koko instead of the usual offensive variant this time around and I have to say that this is the most succesful team I have ever used that was made by myself (I usually suck at teambuilding). Yet, I feel like there is still a lot of room for improvement, since I am stuck around the 1300-1400 ladder (no need to remind me, I know it is bad). Also, I would like to apologise in advance for any gramatical errors here, since english is not my home language. Well then, here is the team:

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- U-turn

The most important pokémon in this team, without a doubt. Tapu Koko's main role is to set up 8 turn screens as early as possible in the battle so that all the set up sweepers of my team can have a much easier time boosting their stats. Despite that, I rarely lead with the island deity since I prefer to set up guaranteed Stealth Rocks with my suicide lead Excadrill (we are getting there later) first. U-turn is there to give my team momentum, while taunt is there to not allow opposing pokémon to use hazards or to defog away my screens or the rocks that Excadrill literally gave his life to set up. I am usually not scared to leave Tapu Koko in front of ground types such as Landorus or Chomp since reflect + electric terrain weakens EQ a lot. Actually, Tapu Koko becomes so surprisingly bulky after setting up screens that it fears almost nothing while it sets up. Again, "almost nothing", I usually have to gamble while facing something that has defog + a powerful move, like Landorus-T, Lati@s, Pelliper or Kartana since I have to decide to either set up the appropriate screen and risk getting it defoged right away, or using taunt but getting Koko hit hard. Still, Koko is a key pokémon in this team and I don't plan to remove it.

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Oh yeah, here is the stuff of goodness! Hawlucha is just amazing with screens up. It gets so bulky after an electric seed boost + screens that it manages to stomach some insane moves (+2 252 Atk Landorus-Therian Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. +1 96 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha through Reflect: 179-211 (55.7 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock) which makes Sword Dancing a very easy job for Lucha. That, plus some really strong moves like acrobatics and Hi-Jump-Kick makes it insanely threatening during late game, and even early game weirdly enough. The only things it needs to be removed from the battlefield before it can set up are Zapdos, Toxapex and opposing Tapu Koko, since those can shrug off a +2 move and proceed to either remove my boosts or just straight up kill it. My favorite mons to use as set up baits are Lando-T, Garchomp, Ferro (taunted by Koko), Heatran and Celesteela, since they can't do much to it, and any attempt to kill it can be easily fixed with Roost, it can even set up in front of Ice Punch M-Swampert at the right conditions (252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. +1 96 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha through Reflect: 85-100 (26.4 - 31.1%) -- 36.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock), which helps me a lot with the rain matchup. Yet priority can also be really annoying sometimes, especially Water Shuriken, since Lucha's special bulk isn't nearly as great as its physical bulk. Another thing that it hates is basically, any status condition, since every single one of them cripple it in some way. Even then, Hawlucha is a key player in this team, and alongside Koko, is one of the mons that define this entire team. Screw the 90% accuracy of Hi-Jump-Kick though...

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill is the main lead of this team. I love this thing, it does such a great job at keeping the opposing side of the field dirty while mine gets totally hazard free thanks to Rapid Spin hehe. Since my team has two Stealth Rock weak mons, I needed something that would help me with keeping those pesky pebbles off my side of the field. Rock Tomb is a surprinsingly useful move on Excadrill, since it can annoy those who decide to lead with a set up sweeper or even something with choice scarf, and can help Excadrill at outspeeding max speed SR Lando-T. Focus Sash is also great for scouting the sets from the opposing lead pokémon and allows the mole to use EQ more than once in case it needs to, which can leave quite a mark on the opponent team, since Excadrill has a great attack stat. The only teams I don't like to lead with Excadrill at all are rain teams, since those teams always take advantage of this.

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Another one of my setup sweepers. Mega Gyarados is great at using sreens at its fullest thanks to its amazing 95/109/130 bulk and pre mega intimidate which allows it to set up as many dragon dances as possible. It is great at checking the likes of Lando-T, Heatran and Ash-Greninja, all of which can be threatening to its teammates like Magearna, Lucha and Victini. It usually needs to get grass types to be removed from the field, like Ferro and M-Venusaur before it is able to sweep properly, which Victini and Hawlucha can take care of. I have chosen EQ over Taunt, so that Mega Gyarados can have a better matchup against Toxapex, which is one of the main defensive threats of this team. Honestly, I have already considered running taunt, but I am not entirely sure if I should do that, what do you guys think? It is also one of my prefered choices to fight against rain since it resists most of the rain pokémon's moves and can use them as set up bait.

Magearna @ Metronome
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Double dance Magearna is my late game cleaner. Thanks to its amazing typing and bulk, it is able to check a lot of threatening pokémon while setting up whatever is prefered at the moment. It is going to firstly set up Shift Gear most of the time, but there are times where I prefer to go for Calm Mind instead, whenever it is facing a defensive or slower team. I have chosen Dazzling Gleam over Fleur Cannon mainly because I hate the SpA drop when using the latter, and I would like to have a more reliable move to use when cleaning the opposing team. It uses Metronome instead of the usual Fairium-Z because Victini is already occupying the Z-move slot and because it helps at winning calm mind wars and at defeating unaware users since it makes Dazzling Gleam snow ball very easily. Focus Blast is there to beat bulky steel types such as Ferro, Heatran, Celesteela and opposing Magearna. Double dance works really well with screens Koko since it allows Magearna to use both Shift Gear and Calm Mind at their fullest without being punished too hard. The fact that it has calm mind + metronome + soul heart makes mons that resist Dazzling Gleam not that much of an issue later on.

Victini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Searing Shot
- Focus Blast
- Celebrate

The last mon I added to this team. I have to say that I used to have Mewnium-Z Mew before Victini, but I have decided to use the orange rabbit instead since it makes my team a lot less helpless against steel types.
Victini is another late game cleaner of this team. It abuses screens pretty well thanks to the Z-celebrate def, SpD boosts. It is my main steel type breaker and I like to set up during late game to kill the remaining pokémon on the oposing team. I use Focus Blast as my prefered coverage option to hit Tyranitar, Heatran and Greninja, but I have already considered running Thunder/Thunderbolt instead to have a better chance against water types, but you can't have everything am I right? It does a decent job at cleaning late game a good chunk of the time, but it can be inconsistent sometimes because of a lot of mons in the ladder, such as Lati@s, Slowbro, Lando-T (because intimidate lowers stored power's base power), Tapu Fini (Haze), Mew and many others, and it can be shockingly weak sometimes even at +1. Honestly, Victini sometimes feels like the least succesful mon in this team, it is mainly there because I couldn't think of something better to help me with steel types and that could abuse screens at the same time. Oh well, any sugestions are welcome.

Threat list:
- Toxapex: Oh god...this thing...I hate it. Toxapex is really annoying since it can haze all of my boosts and proceed to toxic almost all of my sweepers and is generally just a pain to kill. Not even Victini stands a chance against it since it hazes away my celebrate boosts.
- Tapu Fini: Tapu Fini is annoying for similar reasons as Toxapex, but it isn't as painful to deal with as that starfish thing. It hazes away my boosts, can defog away my screens, removes electric terrain, which ends up hurting Hawlucha. Nothing in this team can really do heavy damage to this thing, so my best bet is to chip its health during the battle since it has no real recovery move.
- Zapdos: Zapdos can be really annoying to face because of defog, of course, and because it can do heavy damage to most of my mons, especially Gyarados and Hawlucha. Also, paralysis is just not cool...
- Ash-Greninja: Despite having mega Gyara on the team, Ash-Greninja is still a pain mainly because of water shuriken, which helps it to take advantage of Excadrill, Hawlucha and Victini despite having just boost their speed stat.
- Priority users: these are pain in general since they ignore my speed boosts and can remove my weakened set up sweepers.
- Trick Room: click X

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-920256355

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-920255224

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-919257134

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-916878153

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-920259126

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-920609473

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-920612195

Edit: added replays + grammar

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)