CaP26 Prevo - Part 1 - Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey all!

It is FINALLY that time! Let's get going on Equilibra's single prevo! This was voted for by the community in a poll during Equilibra's project which can be found here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-26-prevo-poll.3650544/

Equilibra is a highly potent special attacker which revolves around the move Doom Desire.

Typing: Steel/Ground
Abilities: Levitate/Bulletproof/Justified
Stats: 102 HP / 50 Atk / 96 Def / 133 SpA / 118 SpD / 60 Spe
Movepool: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-26-part-8-full-movepool-submissions.3650685/#post-8139435
Height: 2.6 Ft/ .8 m
Weight: 113 Lbs/ 51.3 Kg

In this thread, we will be discussing the Typing of our prevo! As always Equilibra's typing, Steel/Ground will make the slate automatically! If there is enough consensus here, we can move onto the second step nice and promptly! Let's have at it!

Last edited:
Can’t think of a single reason not to keep Steel/Ground honestly. Why would a smaller set of scales be any different from Papa scales?

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Gonna say something that will most likely be agreed on.

No reason to change that wonderful Steel / Ground typing!

Well hopefully the prevo wont just be a smaller set of scales lmao

I could see pure Steel type or Steel/Ground, kinda leaning towards latter since the metal is more "plating" than actually being its core

I personally would prefer pure Steel, as Ground on Equilibra’s design is somewhat of a loose connection, thus giving us a chance to mix it up for the prevo, but I would also be completely happy with keeping Steel/Ground.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I don't particularly see a reason not to go with Steel / Ground on the prevo. Having a typing change doesn't necessarily make things more interesting. If some people think that the Ground typing is a bit of a stretch on Equilibra, then the pre-evolution should definitely have Ground typing too - otherwise why would Equilibra gain the secondary typing upon evolving?

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Echoing the majority here with agreeing on keeping the Steel/Ground typing. Its very difficult to see a flavorful reason to actually remove it and its such a great typing flavorfully. Sticking with it seems like the most logical decision.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
The only typing I could see besides Steel/Ground is Rock/Ground. There isn't a real reason for it other than it would mirror Onix to Steelix, and could be a symbol of the evolution of law (ancient vs modern).

Steel/Ground seems fine to me, and almost everyone else. I Don't see a purpose of removing it as it could easily contribute to the design of the prevo just as well as the original design.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I want to echo the sentiments of the majority here and support Steel / Ground. It's an interesting typing that gives potency to attacks without being a pure defensive boost. I wouldn't be opposed to mono Steel but there isn't a strong reason to remove the Ground type in my opinion.

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
I support a pure Steel typing for Equilibaby. Ground-type in Equilibra reminds me of relics and ancient things, such as something that spent too much time burrowed in the desert and began to degrade and accumulate sand, just like the great Egyptian pyramids. That don't fit in a prevo imo. But, anyway, i like the Steel / Ground typing too.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I support a pure Steel typing for Equilibaby. Ground-type in Equilibra reminds me of relics and ancient things, such as something that spent too much time burrowed in the desert and began to degrade and accumulate sand, just like the great Egyptian pyramids. That don't fit in a prevo imo. But, anyway, i like the Steel / Ground typing too.
Why does that not fit in a prevo line? Would Libra's prevo not also be an artifact?

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
With the highly-Ground influenced starting movepool (Mud Sport, Slap, Shot), I think it's highly challenging to suggest a pure-Steel - if they were Electric-typed moves I think you could realistically argue as such from Klink Line Precedence, but I don't think you can for mud.

On the other hand, a pure-Ground (which I actually think makes *more* sense to be fair) has issues justifying Flash Cannon and Mirror Shot on the movepool - even though you could substitute with moves like Bulldoze and Drill Run, I don't think it would feel right? Steel/Ground is definitely the way to go in my mind.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There actually isn't a Steel/Ground typed first stage Pokemon, both Steelix and Excadrill pick up Steel (replaces Rock on Steelix) upon evolution.

Given the concept direction ended up being Doom Desire, I think only Pure Steel or Steel/Ground are the proper typing choices.

I think Steel/Ground is a good choice.

I must say though, pure Steel just doesn't make much sense. A relic evolving into a relic (Ground/Steel to Ground/Steel) or a relic being polished (Ground to Ground/Steel) makes much more sense than a polished pure steel suddenly becoming ancient, especially with how the majority of Equilibra's Ground aesthetic comes form the color palette rather than an identifiable part of it. Because of this, I think Ground necessarily has to be part of the prevo's typing.

I'll defer to Dogfish on the reasoning why pure Ground doesn't make sense given the level up movepool, but I'll also point out that Doom Desire, though the center of the concept, is the Evo move. Multiple Pokémon who change/gain types at evolution learn a move of their new typing upon evolution, so I don't think it would be very strange for a pure Ground to Ground/Steel to learn it there either.

Regardless, I'm firmly in the Ground/Steel camp. I think there's no particular reason why a pure typing would be better justified than what we already have.

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
There actually isn't a Steel/Ground typed first stage Pokemon, both Steelix and Excadrill pick up Steel (replaces Rock on Steelix) upon evolution.

Given the concept direction ended up being Doom Desire, I think only Pure Steel or Steel/Ground are the proper typing choices.
Alolan Diglett

I think Steel/Ground or mono Steel or Ground could all work fine for the prevo, as for other type combos, the only other one I think could make sense is Ground/Rock where the rock typing comes from iron ore that is then forged into metallic iron upon evolution. Though this probably wouldn't be a great choice as Equilibra itself only has four rock type moves.

Alolan Diglett is Ground/Steel though, if you forgot. (EDIT: as Frostbiyt said)
If we follow the idea of aiming for unique typings then pure Steel-type is actually insanely under-represented, with the only pure Steel-type Pokémon (of any evolution-stage) being the Klink-line, Mega Aggron, Registeel and the Meltan-line! Personally I value this kind of balancing, but in the case of this Equilibra-line I am in the Ground/Steel camp.

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Why does that not fit in a prevo line? Would Libra's prevo not also be an artifact?
In my conception, being a baby/young pokémon, Equilibaby wouldn't fit well in a artifact flavor as it was "newly created". Thus, it would be most flavorful if we let Ground-type for the evolution to Equilibra, when it has spent enough time wandering in deserts and ruins to gain wisdom and maturity and to become a living artifact due to the effects of time, wind and sand. But, doing this, I couldn't find any reasoning to justify the Ground-type moves as I don't see Equilibra prevo playing in the mud.

Usually, I would say: "Let the people choose", but by reading the thread we know what is the people opinion. Anyway, LET THE PEOPLE CHOOSE!!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I think the consensus here is clear.

The Equilibra prevo will retain its evolutions typing, in Steel/Ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)