SM OU Victini Sun Offense (feat air balloon heatran)

Introduction

Since V-create is so fun to use, and since Victini is such an awesome pokemon, I've decided to make a sun team out of it! This is the first team I've made, so please help me add some improvements to it =)

The Team

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Yawn
Torkoal is actually really fun to use. If your enemy has a standard physical rock setter (e.g Lando, Garchomp, T-tar), just go for the burn because you can eat an earthquake, and many people will get greedy and go for rocks anyway when they see my fire team :). The beauty of this is that if you get a burn, Tapu Fini can come in and defog freely (as it cannot be worn down from status moves, and burned attacks basically tickle with leftovers). The combo of burn and yawn stops physical and special setup sweepers alike, with yawn coming in handy to force Pelipper out for getting rocks up. Rrapid spin is kinda self-explanatory.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 108 SpD / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald/Nature's Madness
- Defog
- Taunt
Tapu Fini is the defogger and backbone of this team, and works really well with Torkoal. Apart from what I mentioned above, she covers most taunt/substitute sweepers that Torkoal can’t deal with, and stops Toxapex from setting up toxic spikes. Taunt is precisely to shut down troublesome mons like Chansey and Toxapex. Moonblast is a must to deal with most dragon-dance sweepers, and I chose scald to hurt blacephalon (although nature’s madness can be used to further deny that annoying Chansey).

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
Victini is the star of my team. 180BP V-create under the sun hits like a truck to begin with. Gastrodon, Tapu Fini, Toxapex, Keldeo, Latios, you name it - all get two shotted by this thing. And once it's counters are off the field, Victini can sweep like a boss. The scarf is necessary to soft check mega-Alakazam (which otherwise counters chlorophyll venusaur), as well as allowing it to hit twice on most targets before having to switch.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Overheat
I have two mons to eliminate pesky insects which hinder victini/venusaur's sweep: Heatran and Mega-Charizard Y.

Heatran deals with Toxapex and opposing heatran (hence the air balloon). Physically defensive water types like Quagsire also get 2HKOed by this. Unless I’m trapping, I usually opt for overheat as it has higher accuracy and nukes most resists under the sun. Taunt also allows heatran to take out Chansey (albeit with the cost of losing your air balloon), so only do that if you really need to. Otherwise victini can do the job even better. Funnily enough, Heatran can overpower most physically defensive water types under the sun, and Victini overpowers the specially defensive ones, so they do synergise well.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash
Mega Charizard Y deals with the other half of victini’s checks, providing a hand against water types like Tapu Fini, Gastrodon and Quagsire. It also acts as a secondary sun sweeper if Torkoal is needed to eliminate an enemy sweeper. Fire blast is for extra firepower to OHKO Lando-T if you want to keep Torkoal healthy.
However, most important aspect of Charizard is his ability to disrupt enemy weather setters. Aside from changing the weather upon mega-evolution, he outspeeds and chunks Tyrannitar with focus blast, as well as hitting Pelipper on the switch with an air slash.

Venusaur @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
Hasty Nature
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
Venusaur is my final pokemon and second sweeper. Once its counters are removed, it runs rampart with earthquake coverage and a +2 acid downpour which nukes everything that isn’t a resist.

Counters

Tyrannitar: super annoying, but it can be worn down by the likes of Victini's U-turn, Focus blast from MCY and Earth power. Burn it if you get the chance, it makes the job a lot easier

Rain teams: If your opponent lead with Pelipper, drought will activate as Torkoal is slower. From then on, yawn him out and set up rocks. Switch in MCY when the opportunity arises; you can 2HKO Pelipper with air slash when rocks are up.

Heatran: Flash fire stops victini in its tracks. Switch in your ballooned heatran (unless he has flash cannon, in that case MCY's focus blast works too), and spam overheat to kill his switch in's until he gives up and let's you earth power.

Blacephalon/Kartana: Both outspeed victini if scarfed. For kartana try to keep MCY or heatran healthy, and for blaceph either hope sun is down (in which case Fini can counter), or keep heatran healthy to revenge kill with earth power.

Unless the opponent has a full rock/water team, you should be able to overwhelm him with a combination of Victini/Heatran/Charizard Y/Vensuaur. I personally find this team very fun, and please do give some feedback!

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Yawn

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 108 SpD / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Defog
- Taunt

Venusaur @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
Hasty Nature
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Overheat

737373elj

Banned deucer.
First of all, almost all your Pokemon are Fire-types, and your entire team is part of the three elemental types. This makes Dragons very threatening, especially if Fini is dead.
And your team has a huge weakness to Stealth Rock, Spikes, etc. and you don’t have a defogger.
Designing a team may be hard, but keep in mind for your next team that your Pokemon can’t all have a shared weakness without a number of measures to ensure your team isn’t ruined.

Edit: oh yeah, he does have a defogger and rapid spinner. Thanks Elstefano for pointing that out!

Last edited:
Hey, I love Sun teams =)

To comment in the previous post first:
He has a Rapid Spinner, as well as a Defogger :D
And it's true that in general it's better to use many different types, but there is always an exception to every rule, and I guess things are a little different for a sun team...

I like the team very much! You cover a lot of typical sun issues very well, e.g. MCY for rain, tran to trap pex, ballon Tran for Tran etc. There is little room to improve, but I will give at least some suggestions to make this a rate:

- MCY likes Roost to switch into Pelliper repeatedly and thus counter rain. I'd drop Air Slash for Roost. It hits nothing relevant outside of Pelliper, which will switch out anyway if Sun is up (if not, you can bring in a sun sweeper uncontested...)

- Earthquake on Venusaur makes it hardwalled by Ferro, whereas HP Fire variants can't beat Heatran. I understand that u have plenty of fire types to take use of Ferro, but on the other hand, u have a 100% counter to heatran... (MCY with roost can also be used to counter heatran with flashcannon If it's without toxic). Up to personal preferences.

- Overheat and Magma Storm both have their advantages, but I'd think about dropping the first for Solar Beam to trap and beat fat waters. But maybe this is a bullshit idea^^

I'd love to see some replays of the team!

P.S.: you can fix the fini sprite by simply changing "tapu-fini" to "tapu fini" if I remember correctly =)
P.PS.: If you like Victini Teams, I might have something for you..

Last edited:
Hey, I love Sun teams =)

To comment in the previous post first:
He has a Rapid Spinner, as well as a Defogger :D
And it's true that in general it's better to use many different types, but there is always an exception to every rule, and I guess things are a little different for a sun team...

I like the team very much! You cover a lot of typical sun issues very well, e.g. MCY for rain, tran to trap pex, ballon Tran for Tran etc. There is little room to improve, but I will give at least some suggestions to make this a rate:

- MCY likes Roost to switch into Pelliper repeatedly and thus counter rain. I'd drop Air Slash for Roost. It hits nothing relevant outside of Pelliper, which will switch out anyway if Sun is up (if not, you can bring in a sun sweeper uncontested...)

- Earthquake on Venusaur makes it hardwalled by Ferro, whereas HP Fire variants can't beat Heatran. I understand that u have plenty of fire types to take use of Ferro, but on the other hand, u have a 100% counter to heatran... (MCY with roost can also be used to counter heatran with flashcannon If it's without toxic). Up to personal preferences.

- Overheat and Magma Storm both have their advantages, but I'd think about dropping the first for Solar Beam to trap and beat fat waters. But maybe this is a bullshit idea^^

I'd love to see some replays of the team!

P.S.: you can fix the fini sprite by simply changing "tapu-fini" to "tapu fini" if I remember correctly =)
P.PS.: If you like Victini Teams, I might have something for you..
Hey thanks for the advice man! I am planning on putting up replays once I ladder this team high enough hehe.

Yea I changed venusaur to HP fire and it does get a lot more opportunities to sweep, guess I just really hated opposing heatran haha :p

Solar beam is a viable option tbh, but since I have MCY (and than Fini can only switch into overheat once anyway) I prefer it for the accuracy cos I hate missing magma storms lol.

Idk about roost tho, sure it can switch into pelipper but it just switches out and back in the next turn, so I can’t use my sweepers anyway. With air slash I can threaten whoever tries to change my weather idk

And sure hit me up with victini teams :)

^^ For the first guy, I know thats a problem but can’t find a good solution for it ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)