Done Allow room Staff to create Multiple Choice questions much like polls that show the correct answer.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
As a Moderator in the health and fitness room, I often try to create engaging polls to kickstart discussions on the habits or preferences of the rooms participants. While this in and of itself is great for spurring discussion, I often find myself craving more in-depth and scientific discussion as it relates to the room. A potential fix of this is adding a command similar to /poll that would create a question with multiple choices. Users entering the room can pick an answer given to the question and if it's wrong it will appear Red and the right one will appear green. My thought is that these Multiple choice Questions would take the place of a poll near the room intro. Creating a poll would end and take the place of said multiple choice question.

This is a suggestion I've been sitting on for a while now and I find it more relevant than ever now that I've passed my Physiology of exercise course at my University, and moved into Kinesiology.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
What would be the point of the questions? Not sure what something being deemed as right or wrong would do to help with spurring discussions. Polls already encourage discussions well as it is and I feel like people could just misuse this and create "polls" using these questions, stating that one opinion is correct while the others are wrong.

BP

Beers and Steers
What would be the point of the questions? Not sure what something being deemed as right or wrong would do to help with spurring discussions. Polls already encourage discussions well as it is and I feel like people could just misuse this and create "polls" using these questions, stating that one opinion is correct while the others are wrong.
I'm talking about promoting Facts and Logic by using these polls. An example of this would be a question I wanted to write up yesterday.

/question create What's an Individual Muscle Cell called?, Sacromere, Muscle Fiber, Alpha-Motor, Myosins

In this case, the correct answer is Muscle Fiber. These wouldn't be used to promote opinionated standpoints such as who the best Pokemon in OU is because that's completely objective. This question command would coexist with the poll command and would not in any way, shape, or form be a replacement for them.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I still don't get why there should be a dedicated command for this, you didn't really answer the point of having these questions in the first place. What's stopping people from just answering the question in the chat instead, basically ruining it for anyone else trying to answer it? This seems like something that's better suited for trivia using some sort of !daily command that I see a lot of rooms use.

i feel like this is a pretty cool feature, but i don't know how a command for it would work to show the correct answer. you could ask for something like "what's the national dish of the usa" to quiz people on their knowledge. in the cafe, we use the !daily command for a dish, chef, vocab, shit like that so people can discuss about it. instead of just asking the question in chat over and over again to different people, we can see everyone's answer & also discuss the poll in chat. yes you're right about people answering in chat, but this is something we can also just ask on regular polls, "those of you who answered so and so, explain why you did it?" and people will give their reasoning. it would be used as like a trivia-esque poll to show people the right answer
I feel like people could just misuse this and create "polls" using these questions, stating that one opinion is correct while the others are wrong.
yes this is true because one person could have an opinion but other staff members can disagree, but again like you said, it would be better suited for trivia questions with an answer as a fact instead of an opinion. you can just create a regular poll for opinionated questions.

/question create What's an Individual Muscle Cell called?, Sacromere, Muscle Fiber, Alpha-Motor, Myosins
but i'm not sure how you could be able to indicate the correct answer tho

Reactions: PH

BP

Beers and Steers
I still don't get why there should be a dedicated command for this, you didn't really answer the point of having these questions in the first place. What's stopping people from just answering the question in the chat instead, basically ruining it for anyone else trying to answer it? This seems like something that's better suited for trivia using some sort of !daily command that I see a lot of rooms use.
The point of the questions is to spark discussions on the topic of said question much like polls do already. I would also agree with you that it would probably work better as a room command instead of something that is introduced server-wide as that takes a lot of work.

I apologize if I didn't understand and if this sounds illogical bit why not just make polls with short timers, like 4-5 minutes?

BP

Beers and Steers
I apologize if I didn't understand and if this sounds illogical bit why not just make polls with short timers, like 4-5 minutes?
This doesn't and wouldn't work in rooms with a fairly limited amount of people. Plus this would only allow a certain number of users to be involved due to timezone constraints. If we have a separate command then everyone can participate and receive instant gratification in the form of a Right or Wrong answer.

I like the idea of this, it seems like something that users can do to be more engaged in the rooms they're in, whether they AFK in them or not. As a voice in the Mafia room of PS, I see that there are tons of things people need to know about the game and plugin, and I feel like the best way to learn about the many aspects of Mafia itself would be to quiz people every day like this. To add, I feel like we should have the similarity to polls where we see how many people got it right and wrong. It doesn't seem like something too difficult to be implemented in if this idea goes through, since polls have it as well. Maybe like a "Daily Question" or something, so that it stays for an entire day. Great idea BP

Reactions: BP
Speaking out of Trivia's point of view, as well as Cosmopolitan, both these rooms could benefit a lot from something like this, both in the sense that they could let us have fun "questions" about culture or trivia beyond a poll's restrictions, and as BP pointed out, without the bother of timezone constraints that short polls have. Would appreciate this quite a lot.

Asheviere

Banned deucer.
I honestly think the easiest way to implement this is just edit /poll to have an option to designate a correct answer that shows after voting. These questions seem identical to polls outside of that detail so if someone can think of a good way to designate a correct answer in the poll create command this should be rather trivial to add.

Asheviere

Banned deucer.
1568505316363.png

How about this?

Command would still be /poll new, only difference is you can indicate correct answers by prepending the text of the option with a +. So in this case it's "/poll new What is 2+2, 3, +4, 5, 6". Doing this automatically recognizes that this is a quiz question, and will display red and green text after answering, as well as the different icon in the top left.

BP

Beers and Steers
Ayyyy munches gracias senor!
View attachment 194882

How about this?

Command would still be /poll new, only difference is you can indicate correct answers by prepending the text of the option with a +. So in this case it's "/poll new What is 2+2, 3, +4, 5, 6". Doing this automatically recognizes that this is a quiz question, and will display red and green text after answering, as well as the different icon in the top left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)