SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Yeah, Aegislash is still Aegislash and will likely be banished to Ubers. Heck, it’s gonna even be an interesting problem child in VGC and I can see quite a few games coming down to getting rid of the Aegislash counters to win.
I mean, VGC for the past few years has been "support your high damage mons well so they clean up".

Aegislash is much easier to deal with in terms of VGC anyways, with the doubles aspect of it/how prominent switching is.

Unless it works on similar conditions to Stomping Tantrum, I doubt Blunder Policy will have many applications. Unless you are willing to run one of the 50% accuracy moves, its activation would be very unreliable.
I
mean having a benefit to focus missing might prevent rage related murders.

Its unlikely to be the case but you can definitely argue that in a restricted format, having fewer threats to try and cover means that you can commit more resources on your team to improving your match-up against the remaining stuff.

Not a perfect example, but on a really real basic level, in old gens if you choose to run hippo + mandibuzz / Bisharp then you’re committing a disproportionate amount of resources to beating aegi and probably end up super weak to other stuff. Its possible that in SwSh that Hippo, mandibuzz and bisharp all end up being S/A+ mons that naturally end up being partnered without making you weak to other stuff, because theres comparatively not much else to be weak to.

Its definitely very unlikely, but this kind of thing does happen. Case-in-point, theres several examples of mons that are good in OU (although not high enough usage to be tiered there) but near useless in lower tiers, so fester in NU. This is because cutting out the 50 best pokemon in a generation is occasionally enough to make something completely change in viability.

Won’t know unless we test. I agree that Aegis is probably busted but its certainly possible that teams naturally gravitate to fit in 3+ good checks to it without having to scrimp in other places.
I will humor it being around again, this gen seems pretty dark type heavy and mostly good dark types, so I'll even humor the unlikely possibility that aegi will naturally be overwhelmed by every team having at least a semi-answer to it, but I still expect a lot of aegislash fear based team building which is not healthy for a meta.

With that said, I'd like to believe that we will be seeing a more varied and vast ou this gen with few bans, but I'm not holding my breath. Pokemon is still pokemon.

For a while maybe but I wouldn't bank on it we had all those coulnters the past two gens and it was still too threatening, hell last gen we had more checks even. Lando and chomp for instance. Sucker punch and good earthquakes aren't enough to keep that monster in check.

I dont understand why people think its going to suddenly be checked enough this gen when we have LESS to deal with it with.
It’s just wishful thinking but it’s probably getting banned lol. Maybe it’ll get a slight nerf to stats or some mechanic to kings shield will get removed like the stat drop so it can stay ou. It’s visually one of my favourite mons so it’d be nice to never able to use it lol

Expanding to the Nat Dex, I nominate Ho-Oh for best Hazard Boots user. It's already an upper-tier Uber when it has to worry about 50% rocks, and it's going to be a complete menace when it can switch around with impunity.
Ho-Oh for National Anything Goes.

No, really. It makes Regenerator go from a compensation to a complete benefit.

Lugia could also take advantage of it through Multiscale, but I'm not sure up to what extent.

So I guess my question is what are the best mons stat wise this gen what new mons do you guys see being ou tier?
Dragapult is pretty much a for sure, we need to see a bit more for most others to really determine and ou is going to be a LOT different then last gen so it's really hard to say. Especially considering we have like maybe 7 mons from last gen ou left.

Theres a lot to consider and we dont really have the tools yet to start doing that.

It’s just wishful thinking but it’s probably getting banned lol. Maybe it’ll get a slight nerf to stats or some mechanic to kings shield will get removed like the stat drop so it can stay ou. It’s visually one of my favourite mons so it’d be nice to never able to use it lol
With obstruction exisiting I highly doubt they nerfed it.

Problem is not SD Aegi, thats the reason i haven't even mentioned it in the tox scenario, problem is Tox, unlike AV Tan, do not have the raw power to pull it through aegi's subs in 1 hit while in shielded form.

SD Aegi has nothing to do against The Tox because its greatest hit is Head Smash (lool...), and its viable options are shadow claw, shadow sneak and iron head. The tox just haze + scald burns and you already know how this ends. But SpA. Shadow Ball spam is a totally different story. Scald does break standard SpA. Aegi in sword stance, but it receives 30 to 35% in exchange (in a real scenario that should be around 28% after leftys recovery) and, if for some reason it gets a -1 in SpD, Shadow Ball begins to look like this

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 135-160 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

44 to 52% is a range in which you'll be doing recover most of the time, so, it's not impossible by any means to stop it, what I mean is it's not a confortable situation.
The odds are against Aegis though, SB has 20% of a drop meanwhile pex can just spam scald with a 30% and fish for burns and if Aegis go for KS shenanigans it just give pex time to recover and fish for more burns, also pex is slower so it's not hitting a 150 def mon but a hittting a 60 defense mon and take on the worst case a third of his life burn not included.

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 91-108 (28 - 33.3%)

Aegis is a good mon but before we call a ban hammer we should wait till the game gets released, and we have full info on the changes brought and see if sticks or not.

Anyway I am more interested in that hazard free item, I think many people are just looking at rocks and spike and not paying attention to the other stuff like Toxic spikes not poisoning your mon or Sticky web not giving a speed drop, sure you might need to drop your lefties, orb or plate but that means your sweeper don't need to care about being slowed down or your walk/bulk mon doesn't need to care about poison, this item has a lot of potential not just on 4x to rocks and sturdy mons but in whole spectrum of other stuff.

Last edited:
The odds are against Aegis though, SB has 20% of a drop meanwhile pex can just spam scald with a 30% and fish for burns and if Aegis go for KS shenanigans it just give pex time to recover and fish for more burns, also pex is slow so it's hitting a 150 def mon but a hittting a 60 defense mon and take on the worst case a third of his life burn not included.

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 91-108 (28 - 33.3%)

Anyway Aegis is a good mon but before we call a ban hammer we should wait till the game gets released, and we have full info on the changes brought and see if sticks or not.
Oh, I'm not pro ban from the get go. I mean, I'm not trying to prove that it deserves to be banned, lol. While broken, Aegislash is not Mega-Salamence. There're certain mons that need to be put into play before deciding anything and this is one of them.

And I agree, the odds are against Aegislash, but that is part of the problem. Even if the odds are against it, it's not something you can easily get rid of. That Tox will suffer damage, Scalds will be stalled between King's Shield and Subs, Aegi will switch —if not Pex first in the case it gets a SpD drop—, then Aegi will come again, Tox wil switch in, Subs on, a little bit of Shadow Ball spam, a bit of Scald stall...

It's the same it was with Genesect in Gen V. Technically you could trap him and get rid of him, but then U-turn spam + download didn't allow u to do so and it lasted forever. Also, keep in mind Tox is just 1 Pokémon, and one that, even if will rise above Aegi in the 1v1 scenario at the end, will suffer and be stalled a lot anyway. Aegi is not easy deal.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Once again speaking from speculatory meta experience: LMAO FUCK NO AEGISLASH IS BUSTED

Almost nothing has changed for it. It still hits like a bastard, it still tanks like a bastard, and now it even has Sacred Sword Dynamax sets and possibly special sets with Max Ghost raising SpA although that's a speculatory effect rn. The only thing that has changed is that outside of Dynamaxed foes the meta it resides in is generally far weaker. To give you an idea, we already quickbanned it a while back and since then Doublade has been able to take its place as an A-tier substitute, EVEN IN THE MELMETAL META (it's arguably slightly better in that meta due to being one of Melmetal's best defensive checks). That alone should be enough of an indicator that Aegislash should have no place in the complete SWSH OU.

I mean, VGC for the past few years has been "support your high damage mons well so they clean up".

Aegislash is much easier to deal with in terms of VGC anyways, with the doubles aspect of it/how prominent switching is.
Lol @ the moment when GF said they cut the dex for balance, but brought back Aegislash.

Good one, GameFreak. Good one.
Vann read the above quoted.

Do you truly think GF gives a shit about any meta other then vgc? Aegi has never really been a problem for vgc so they dont really care to nerf it. It's not even really a vgc staple or at least wasnt...might be now.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Why the fuck are people arguing that Aegi will be ok because Toxapex checks it and darks are common (2 things present last gen and some)? Aegislash isn't an offensive behemoth, it's the fact that it's defensive typing alongside the offensive presence renders so many different pokemon obsolete. Frosmoth? Now irrelevant. Psychic types? Guess you always have to run Shadow Ball, not that it will 2HKO regardless. It just boxes out so much of the meta and centralizes the tier around itself, I guess if you want to run Bish+Hippo+Pex every team be my guest though

So I guess my question is what are the best mons stat wise this gen what new mons do you guys see being ou tier?
I'm not too sure but it looks like we've lost LARGE majority of previous gen's OU (and almost the entire UBER). Plus, bar for OU/UBER is looking to not be as high as the previous gen, due to the lack of z-moves and mega evolutions. One pokemon I do see going to UBER is Dragapult though. Of course, I could be completely wrong lol.

Carkoal or carkol???? Nickit or Nicket??
Also a small nitpick. Yamask and Runerigus Ghost/Ground or Ground/Ghost?? sorry OCD acting

Last edited:
I'm not too sure but it looks like we've lost LARGE majority of previous gen's OU (and almost the entire UBER). Plus, bar for OU/UBER is looking to not be as high as the previous gen, due to the lack of z-moves and mega evolutions. One pokemon I do see going to UBER is Dragapult though. Of course, I could be completely wrong lol.
....why. its gonna be a threat, but it can't reliably switch into anything, it's going to probably have a lot of counters being used in ou for other reasons that can one shot it and I highly expect it to be a one trick pony.

....why. its gonna be a threat, but it can't reliably switch into anything, it's going to probably have a lot of counters being used in ou for other reasons that can one shot it and I highly expect it to be a one trick pony.
Pheromosa and Deoxys-A can't properly switch into anything, but they're banned to Ubers for their numerous positive traits such as high-offensive stats, coverage, and Speed-tiers. I can also see Dragapult, depending on its final moveset, running DD, mixed Life Orb w/ Draco Meteor/Shadow Ball, and Choice Band.

peng

policy goblin
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why the fuck are people arguing that Aegi will be ok because Toxapex checks it and darks are common (2 things present last gen and some)? Aegislash isn't an offensive behemoth, it's the fact that it's defensive typing alongside the offensive presence renders so many different pokemon obsolete. Frosmoth? Now irrelevant. Psychic types? Guess you always have to run Shadow Ball, not that it will 2HKO regardless. It just boxes out so much of the meta and centralizes the tier around itself, I guess if you want to run Bish+Hippo+Pex every team be my guest though
No-one saying its going to be OU or that its definitely handleable lmao, people are just saying that you can’t be sure its Uber considering we don’t even know elements of the game mechanics, movepools, any changes, what decent defensive cores look like etc

Yes, you’re almost definitely correct. i think EVERYONE agrees that Aegislash is like 80%+ likely to be banned - but you can’t be certain yet.

We thought Electivire was top tier when DPP came out, we thought Chandelure was broken and Cofag would be a stall staple when BW came out etc. In short, speculatory metagames mean absolutely nothing.

Obviously, no matter what, Aegislash is on the chopping block early on. No matter what mechanics change (bar huge alterations to King’s Shield), new moves added, or how good the Dark-types are, Aegislash is comfortably S-tier day 1 and is probably gone within the first couple of months. But nobody knows for sure that its broken yet, so discussing a post-ban metagame before the game is even out is absurd.

In Nat Dex OU it might have a chance of sticking, I wont rush to say if definitely couldn't cuz i remember people saying Hoopa U would be broken and it fell to UU when it was all said and done.

In the galar only meta though I have a hard time seeing it not being ridiculously centralizing when the overall power level is so much lower, unless this gen introduces multiple really good checks and at first glance that doesnt appear to be the case.

Sure but there have been other pokemons in the past that were UBER that also couldn't switch in well but were deemed UBER due to other factors (i.e. offensive capabilities). Dragapult's immense speed and good atk (and decent spA) looks to be amazing even if it were to just run DD and CB (I highly doubt it doesn't get any other good moves as a pseudo). I still see it as a top-tier OU that is possibly UBER. All speculative, of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)