SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Bunch of stuff to catch up on!

The raid rewards look very nice. Earning watts, Exp candies, Dynamax candies and TRs all at once while also obtaining new Pokemon makes it pretty efficient for post-game teambuilding.

Body Press looks interesting. Kommo-o and Scrafty appreciate having the option of a physical Fighting STAB that doesn't care about Intimidate, and it could be a neat coverage move for others like Gigalith, Ferrothorn, Steelix, Rhyperior, etc. Heck even Torkoal might get it which would be pretty funny, giving it an option to smash through Tyranitar and Hydreigon who otherwise wall it.

I'm wondering at this point if Dragapult will even have access to Dragon/Shadow Claw or any of the elemental punches, given how piddly its arms and hands look. Not that a lack of hands has stopped Pokemon from punching before. Dragon Darts sounds thoroughly underwhelming for Doubles (50BP hitting each opponent is the equivalent of a 67BP spread move after spread damage reduction, that's barely stronger than Breaking Swipe), which means it might be stuck with the unreliable Dragon Rush. Hopefully it gets some more reliable STABs through TMs/TRs.

I can't imagine Jaw Lock being exclusive to Drednaw given its Dark-typing. I'd be keen to see what else gets this, sounds like it would be perfect for any snake-based mon.

Polteageist looks fun, I like the flavour (hurr) of it learning Grass-type moves though I would be amazed if it couldn't also learn Scald somehow. VGC might actually see some niche Baton Pass/Psyche Up action this year, especially now that more things have access to Power Trip and Stored Power.

Last edited:
jaw lock seems like a crappy version of spirit shackle/anchor shot. It makes me wonder if there could be another effect the description doesn't mention. Probably just wishful thinking, though...

Well, if Galarian Mr.Mime also learns Slack Off and Rapid Spin as its next evolution does, it might have a niche in a monotype, especially in an ice team where it could sponge strong special attacks. Of course, only time can tell.

Uff, ghost Pkm are hella strong in this gen. Wherever you look, almost everyone of the new Pkm is a potential wallbreaker. Cursola could be dangerous in VGC, Polteageist can either pull off Shell Smash or Nasty Plot + Weak Armor, and then there's Dragapult. On another note, Runerigus could really benefit from the new fighting move called body press. I doubt anyone would use a ghost move on it. Something like Earthquake/Will o Wisp (Toxic Spike), Pain Split and Body Press (or Knock Off) looks alright. With those high defenses, it's going to give some dark Pkm like Tyrannitar a headache with Body Press. Also, Body Press Shuckle is no joke if it learns it.
Other Pkm that might benefit from it are: Dusknoir, Dusclops, Bewear (imagine if Fluffy doubles the power...), Coalossal, Gourgeist, Ferrothorn, Avalugg, etc.

So, Aegislash got nerved. Wonder if it makes that much of a difference?

As for the Pkm in the Battle Tower, I'm a little bit disappointed that they all have a neutral nature. At least, they got the right ability and "ideal" IVs/EVs. Just look at Ferrothorn, it has 0 EVs in its speed, so Gyro Ball will certainly benefit from it. I hope these Pkm with a neutral nature are only in a simple mode if such a thing exists or if it doesn't, let's hope that as soon as you get enough wins, Pkm with better sets and, hopefully, ideal natures will make an appearance. In past generations, we always had 4 different sets for a Pkm in a Battle Tower if I'm not mistaken.

I'm wondering at this point if Dragapult will even have access to Dragon/Shadow Claw or any of the elemental punches, given how piddly its arms and hands look. Not that a lack of hands has stopped Pokemon from punching before. Dragon Darts sounds thoroughly underwhelming for Doubles (50BP hitting each opponent is the equivalent of a 67BP spread move after spread damage reduction, that's barely stronger that Breaking Swipe), which means it might be stuck with the unreliable Dragon Rush. Hopefully it gets some more reliable STABs through TMs/TRs.
If it gets Nasty Plot, Dragon Pulse, Shadow Ball, and a few other good special coverage moves then Special Dragapult could be a thing. Boosting off a 100 base SpA doesn't seem like a bad idea and it's already real speedy.

If it gets Nasty Plot, Dragon Pulse, Shadow Ball, and a few other good special coverage moves then Special Dragapult could be a thing. Boosting off a 100 base SpA doesn't seem like a bad idea and it's already real speedy.
Imagine another Mega Lucario situation.
Time to send out my physical wall. *Goes for Nasty Plot* Oh, shit...
Time to send out my special wall. *Goes for SD/DD* Oh, shit...

Their movepools do look kinda small don't they? Wonder if it's because of the TRs or they nerfed the move relearners. They were able to teach even later moves in gen 6 and 7 right?

Given its fixed BP, I suspect this will work like Foul Play in that it replaces your attack with your defense in the damage calculation, rather than acting as a modifier.

Will it be worth Zamazenta EVing into defense for, I wonder? Its signature move still runs off attack, as will any other moves it gets, and it's designed to be a bulky sweeper. So I'm inclined to say no... but that move could be monstrously powerful with 252 Def/252 Speed, that +1 defence boost, and Iron Defense. And defense still contributes to actual defense aswell.

Plus it's very possible that it's the only fighting move Zamazenta gets.

So apparently Aegislash got a nerf in Defense.
So it now has effective 680 BST, assuming its attack has also been lowered. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Eternamax Eternatus cannot be used in battle.
Now that's interesting. I believe this is the first actual form (disregarding Totems which are just bigger) that has not been usable in battle. I get the impression that they want to abandon the sacred cow of everything being catchable. Makes me wonder if UBs were originally not meant to be catchable, and in turn if their design similarities to prominent characters in SM is less of a coincidence than we thought because they were originally meant to be transformed humans.

Their movepools do look kinda small don't they? Wonder if it's because of the TRs or they nerfed the move relearners. They were able to teach even later moves in gen 6 and 7 right?
Yeah, I'm thinking that either the tutors got nerfed or there is a later one we haven't found yet. But levelling seems easier than in SM, so maybe they thought it was unnecessary this time around.

Last edited:
Imagine another Mega Lucario situation.
Time to send out my physical wall. *Goes for Nasty Plot* Oh, shit...
Time to send out my special wall. *Goes for SD/DD* Oh, shit...
Is Dragon Dart really such a "bad" move? :o

Edit: Okay, haven't seen the "doubles" there ^^"
Still, I guess in Singles this move is going to see usage

Dragon Darts is really good in singles. Hits mich harder than D Claw with no drawbacks (not even the M-Kang drawback of triggering Rocky Helmet, because it isn't a contact move) and breaks substitute. It just sucks in doubles because it's effectively a <70 BP spread move.

I think that person's point is that it can be either physical or special, and that it pressures the opponent so heavily that you really have to correctly guess which. I'm starting to see why they left most of the powerful walls in.

It's not, easily the best physical dragon stab there is. With just 100 special attack how much that will catch on unless the coverage is just way better, but like I deadass dont think you would be able to touch something like Unaware Clef.

Dragon Darts is really good in singles. Hits mich harder than D Claw with no drawbacks (not even the M-Kang drawback of triggering Rocky Helmet, because it isn't a contact move) and breaks substitute. It just sucks in doubles because it's effectively a <70 BP spread move.
It's not, easily the best physical dragon stab there is. With just 100 special attack how much that will catch on unless the coverage is just way better, but like I deadass dont think you would be able to touch something like Unaware Clef.
Yeah, I missed the "Doubles" there. Was about to say, that move in Singles seems pretty good (especially with DDance and Dynamax being a thing).

Sure, it's not going to hit Clefable that hard (possible Steel and/or Poison coverage aside), but Dragapult still looks strong. Going to love that thing for sure <3

Polteageist learns Shell Smash, Nasty Plot and Baton Pass along with Shadow Ball, Psychic, Power Trip and a lot of insanely good offensive moves. This thing came from nowhere to end our lives. Can even recover 100% of its health for at least 1 time, if the opponent suckers instead of knock off strength sap and back to 100%.

Not sure how big the impact will be, but maybe big enough to make it legal for OU and/or Monotype
Idk. The 50/50 thing is still a problem. It depends whether that stat drop is enough to make it miss any important KOs or lose to any important attacks it could have tanked before.

Who would have thought that the teapot would be so insane on paper?

I'm not talking about SmashPass as that would likely be banned in Smogon formats... but Shell Smash + Stored Power. It's the only Pokémon (outside of, obviously, Smeargle) with access to this combination and with the fastest way to boost the move (also applies to Power Trip) now that Z-Moves are gone. Considering a certain thing called Toxapex, it's very useful.

Strength Sap is also interesting because it allows Polteageist to bypass Sucker Punch and weaken Pursuit, two moves that are likely going to be important to deal with it.

Of course, this would create some 4MSS as it would really like to run Shell Smash, Shadow Ball, Stored Power, a Fighting-type move, and Strength Sap all at once.

Step aside, Chandelure and Gengar (and eat your head out Blacephalon), we've got a new cool Ghost in town.

What does Teatime do?

Last edited:
Heavy Slam
Tackle
Growl
Rollout
Rock Smash
Bulldoze
Stomp
Iron Defense
Dig
Strength
Iron Head
Play Rough
High Horsepower
Superpower
Had to go back and see its weight for Heavy Slam. Supposedly it's the 3rd strongest, STAB Heavy Slam user after Celesteela (Gone) and Heavy Metal Aggron (Gone). Steelix is heavier a bit, but Copperbro has way better Attack stat. So unless I'm missing out a line, its the best, STAB Heavy Slam user after the cut.

What does Teatime do?
It forces everyone on the field to eat their berry c:

Had to go back and see its weight for Heavy Slam. Supposedly it's the 3rd strongest, STAB Heavy Slam user after Celesteela (Gone) and Heavy Metal Aggron (Gone). Steelix is heavier a bit, but Copperbro has way better Attack stat. So unless I'm missing out a line, its the best, STAB Heavy Slam user after the cut.
Do we know how heavy Copperajah is? :o
Also, Sheer Force Ironhead and Play Rough in Trick Room sounds pretty ... strong, at least xD
I love the elephant c:

Forces all Pokemon on the field to eat their berries. Basically a combo move for Doubles, with the cheeky side benefit of potentially wasting an opponents HP-restoring berry.

And who doesn't want to have high tea with an apple pie dragon?
I was about to say, Teatime with Pie Dragon ... maybe I should give doubles a try xD

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
....you want the pokemon's stats to increase along side all of its moves becoming accurate fire blast levels of strength (at least)?

You want the whole Dex in ubers or???
1. It would only be for 3 turns, also the stat increases I'm imagining wouldn't be that big, maybe like 10% to 15% based on the Dynamax level. Not game changing but certainly enough to make the opponent consider Dynamaxing to counter.

2. Maybe they shouldn't make the Pokemon grow huge if they don't want people thinking they would get stat boosts also.

Mega Gengar died for this
Why must vindication feel so disheartening.

"You put the laughing Koffing emoji to all those posts complaining about Gigantamax Gengar"

Because if I'm not laughing I would be crying.

Starters won't get a G-Max form. Remember Gen 6?
While I'm not disagreeing, it's still stupid for GF not to give them a Gigantamax. GF already said Dynamax is a Galar thing, which I'm assuming is true for Gigantamax, so why not give the Starters a Gigantamax? The only other reason not to do so would have been if their Signature Moves did double damage to Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokemon, putting them on the same playing field as the Legendaries.

This doesn't pertain to anything recent, but I noticed something about Giga Lapras. Its shell looks a bit like a cruise ship.
Alright, I'll admit that's pretty clever. I'm okay with that as it's just an allusion compared to Duraludon which literally becomes a building.

As long as they never give us another rival as terribly written as Hugh.
Hugh had the problem of being a main character that the player didn't play as.

For the record I like Hugh though I agree his development comes a bit too late and after that has nothing much to do. But what they do show I like, like with his relation with the ex-Plasma members changed from hostile to accepting that they've changed their ways.

There are 100 TMs and 100 TRs, the latter being a replacement for move tutor. You can purchase the latter but have to use the watt currency if I'm not mistaken.
Wait Move Tutors are gone? So is BP only used to buy items now?

I like how a lot of Pokemon that were snapped by Dexit now have their previous exclusive moves as TMs. It's like going to Goodwill and buying someone's dead grandma's dress.
Or maybe it's those Pokemon's last attempt to leave a reminder that they once existed, giving over their secret technique to others so they may avenge them!

Actually, there is. The leaker averages to leak between 12 AM - 7 AM EST. He has consistently been leaking throughout this timeframe (except the Flapple / Gengar stuff).
I gotta laugh how we're so ravenous for leaked news we've timed when the leaker usually releases new information like we're stalking them or are a drugee looking to get our next fixed, lol!

You are rights... Checked it 2 times before posting and still missed it.
Happens to the best of us.

Since things have slowed down, I will ask that if by chance some older mons get a BST boost, which ones do you have hopes for? Personally, Shiinotic with that 405 BST compared to Amoonguss' 464 BST hurts, so it could certainly bear an HP boost from that measly 60.
With them cutting half the dex they better have improved the stats on all the Pokemon that need it!

Leaker says Gigantamax Charizard only raised HP.
And I'm assuming this is true for all Gigantamax Pokemon. Only HP increases.

Well gotta give this to GF, when they drop the ball, they make sure to spike it.

They introduce a new biting move and made it Dark-type?! At least make it Water- or Rock-type so that Drednaw gets STAB from it!

To say something constructive:
It's interesting how a lot of past Signature Moves, especially for Pokemon not in the Galar Dex like the Starters, are being made into TRs. I like it! While I understand a Signature Move and Ability makes a Pokemon special when it debuts, I think after the debut it has served its purpose so can be spread to other Pokemon who could logically learn it. It's the same way I've been feeling about many Mythicals these past few gens, make at least half of them into regular Legendary Pokemon you can catch normally in the next game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)