Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

op by Celticpride

This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Quote the question you are answering, to help keep things organized. If you were considering making a thread to ask "Why was Swagger unbanned???" or "Was Unaware nerfed?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here. For in-game help / info check the Orange Islands subforum; Uncharted Territory is for competitive discussion only.

As a reminder because something like this is posted often:
  • In threads discussing the metagame, do not assume any particular Pokémon nor abilities are banned. Additionally, do not suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be banned, suspected, or that they will probably be banned. Finally, do not post predictions on which Pokémon or abilities will be banned. Likewise, don't suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be unbanned.
  • Do NOT talk about dropping Pokemon from Ubers. This is not the place for that. PM a council member if you want more information.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just to clarify - I'm keeping a very short leash in terms of asking things like "when Dynamax will be banned" and the like. This isn't the place for it and there will be no place for it.

The mechanic is being actively discussed and reviewed at this time. Ask, and get a Lurk More if you have been around long enough.

I would also use this thread as a primer to help answer some of your questions.

talah

from the river to the sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
not a question but i assume people will be asking a lot of stuff that could be summed up easily;

PS has a lot, and I mean a lot of inaccuracies, because they
1) need to be coded properly, which takes a lot of work and i assure u ppl are on it
2) need to be researched and tested in-game before proper implementation

for example, yesterday, Dynamax was significantly stronger than it is currently(whether it's too strong is a different discussion that we don't need to have here), which messed things up a lot and a lot of questions abt it popped up

so keep that in mind, and shift through other threads before randomly posting here and burying others

Last edited:
Hello, I was curious as to why Grookey’s hidden ability is marked as legal in the teambuilder? Is there a legitimate way to get it with the hidden ability already, and if so, how?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I was curious as to why Grookey’s hidden ability is marked as legal in the teambuilder? Is there a legitimate way to get it with the hidden ability already, and if so, how?
I believe the ladder at the moment has loose definitions on what is allowed and what isn't. Not sure if Grookey is one of these, but for example people are still using things like Roost Hydreigon when its currently illegal.

Like talah said above some things are still being ironed out, so you may see some oddities being allowed like this (yesterday someone used Neverending Nightmare against me).

There is a number of updates not yet addressed on PS! (as well as some that are altogether wrong) that I would like to draw attention to, particularly regarding dex.pokemonshowdown.com (it has nothing to do with missing sprites). I will not go into much detail here, because my purpose here is to find out exactly what forum, thread, or subthread I should be investigating. I have some ideas, but I don't want to post something where it might be either improperly placed or altogether unseen.
So: Where is the most appropriate place to contact the developers who are reworking the Pokédex that I might point out the issues and holes?
The Ralts evolution line was in the 'Amorphous' egg group solely, until Gen 8 made it 'Human-Like' and 'Amorphous,' however: in the places where a change has been made to this on PS!, it currently displays as solely 'Human-Like' and not 'Amorphous.'
The evolution lines of both Trapinch and Noibat should have the 'Dragon' egg group added in.
Meltan and Melmetal (and Melmetal-Gmax for that matter) still do not appear when filtering for certain criteria, but the other Pokémon that are not obtainable in-game but appeared in the datamine do appear. I think it's fair enough that it should be searchable.
When teambuilding in the Beta modes, Pokémon from CAP appear in the results, despite them not existing outside of CAP metas.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
There is a number of updates not yet addressed on PS! (as well as some that are altogether wrong) that I would like to draw attention to, particularly regarding dex.pokemonshowdown.com (it has nothing to do with missing sprites). I will not go into much detail here, because my purpose here is to find out exactly what forum, thread, or subthread I should be investigating. I have some ideas, but I don't want to post something where it might be either improperly placed or altogether unseen.
So: Where is the most appropriate place to contact the developers who are reworking the Pokédex that I might point out the issues and holes?
The Ralts evolution line was in the 'Amorphous' egg group solely, until Gen 8 made it 'Human-Like' and 'Amorphous,' however: in the places where a change has been made to this on PS!, it currently displays as solely 'Human-Like' and not 'Amorphous.'
The evolution lines of both Trapinch and Noibat should have the 'Dragon' egg group added in.
Meltan and Melmetal (and Melmetal-Gmax for that matter) still do not appear when filtering for certain criteria, but the other Pokémon that are not obtainable in-game but appeared in the datamine do appear. I think it's fair enough that it should be searchable.
When teambuilding in the Beta modes, Pokémon from CAP appear in the results, despite them not existing outside of CAP metas.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bug-reports-v3-read-original-post-before-posting.3634749/

Probably want that thread, not for here really.

Is there currently a list of every pokemon appearing in Sword/Shield and are the pokemon not appearing going to be banned from competitive play?

Is there currently a list of every pokemon appearing in Sword/Shield and are the pokemon not appearing going to be banned from competitive play?
There is a list with all the Pokemon in SWSH. Here it is. The Pokemon that aren't in the actual game, will not be allowed in OU. There will, however, be an other metagame with all the Pokemon.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Will the metagame will all of the Pokemon include Z-Moves and Mega Evolution? Dynamaxing with those mechanics probably would get extremely wack.

Reactions: UHX
How is Ice Face supposed to work? It says "Pokemon's head functions as a substitute for a physical attack. Restored in hail.", so I assumed it restore either at the start or end of a turn while hail is active, but on Showdown it doesn't restore it at all. Is this a bug, or is that how it is in the actual game?

How is Ice Face supposed to work? It says "Pokemon's head functions as a substitute for a physical attack. Restored in hail.", so I assumed it restore either at the start or end of a turn while hail is active, but on Showdown it doesn't restore it at all. Is this a bug, or is that how it is in the actual game?
In the actual games, Ice Face is only restored on the turn hail is actually set, not while hail is active, so this isn't a glitch or anything.

Dynamax Mechanic:
  • You can turn a single pokemon giant for 3 turns once per game.
  • It does not require an item, meaning that any pokemon can dynamax at any time.
  • When dynamaxed, each attacking move will turn into the corresponding max move for its type, while status moves turn into Max Guard (basically Protect).
  • Gigantamax allows some pokemon to have new forms and special max moves.
  • You lose your dynamax upon switching out.
  • Your pokemon gains a 100% HP Boost while dynamaxed (doubles max HP).
  • The base power for max moves are dependent upon the base power of the original move it replaced.
  • Dynamaxed pokemon cannot be flinched.
  • Dynamaxed pokemon cannot be phased out.
  • All weight based moves will fail when used against a dynamaxed pokemon.
  • When you dynamax a Choice Band/Specs/Scarf user, you will no longer be locked into a single attack. However, you will become locked again once dynamax wears off.
Silly question: does red card counts as phazing?

Why is the Pokemon Home transfer pool not initially implemented on the OU ladder? We more or less know what Pokemon are allowed into this generation. Wouldn't it be better to accelerate the development of the metagame by allowing transfers (Defog Rotom-W, Soft-boiled Clefable) into the meta now rather than when Home launches?

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is the Pokemon Home transfer pool not initially implemented on the OU ladder? We more or less know what Pokemon are allowed into this generation. Wouldn't it be better to accelerate the development of the metagame by allowing transfers (Defog Rotom-W, Soft-boiled Clefable) into the meta now rather than when Home launches?
We don't know exactly how Pokemon Home will work, as it's entirely different from Pokebank OU. As such, it's entirely possible that GF will screw us over and not let us transfer over moves not normally learnable in the games, so it's better to just work with what we know in the meantime.
Silly question: does red card counts as phazing?
yes
Will the metagame will all of the Pokemon include Z-Moves and Mega Evolution? Dynamaxing with those mechanics probably would get extremely wack.
nah, neither of those mechanics are even available in sword and shield

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)